closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

It has a substantial wrist presence and certainly wears bigger than 41 mm Sub. Oysterflex as Martyn said is quite durable.
    Currently on vacation but can do some comparison pics in a couple of days.

Master
    . Further down this thread are a number of comparison pictures posted by several owners. Here’s one on my wrist. In the real world, it doesn’t seem very large at all at least, not to me, although the lense seems to exaggerate how it actually looks..
    And a comparison with the CWC naval diver.
    This shows how slim the design is, the same as a Daytona and central to minimising bulk....as is the slim Oysterflex strap. The lack of bracelet bulk is very telling, especially as the strap is a Matt black, and doesn’t catch the eye much.
    I can’t compare it with any other model, as I no longer own any.
    I wear the 42mm virtually all the time, every day. It doesn’t seem especially large or imposing. In fact, I’d suggest Rolex designed this as a stealth watch, unobtrusive and lacking any ‘show off’ quality. Because it’s white gold, it looks perfectly normal, not precious metal. The Matt black colouring is never eye catching. But, to the wearer, the sheer heft feels rather nice. Especially if, like me, you have a soft spot for white gold.
    A critic could be that it’s too laid back on the wrist. Rolex rarely tones down designs. This one is. Personal choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th April 2021 at 13:56.

Master
    Are you keeping these purchases quiet from the Mrs Wiley?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks Peter, Rajen. I think the comparison pictures and text against the SD43 help the most as I wear a SD43 often although seeing a YM42 on a NATO does make me shudder a little.

This is the SD43 on me just now. I'm imagining - thickness to one side - it wears somewhere in the middle of this and the Sub but closer to this. The biggest difference being the thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Are you keeping these purchases quiet from the Mrs Wiley?
    We're buying the house she chose which I initially said no to and more money in watches keeps me from buying another motorbike so she's pretty ok with it. After this she'll revert back to her old self.

I think the SDc will go to help fund it. You were right the whole time but I was too blinkered to see it.

Master
    I wore an SD43 a lot, lovely watch. But it’s size and bulk are noticeably larger than the 42mm, especially the thickness and bulk. My guess is that if you like the SD43 you will love the Yachtmaster, which feels a lot more elegant. Of course, you could have both! Nothing wrong with that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thank you Martyn, really interesting to see the comparison with the Sub ND 41 even though it's the YM40.

I really do hope they're supplied on the correct straps for the wrist and you don't have to pay the £240 or so per side to make it work...
    My pleasure. I would think the YM42 will wear just a bit larger. The lugs follow the wrist down more in profile on a YM compared to the Sub if you check pictures.

If your buying from an AD they will ensure you get the right sized blades (you will be shot for calling them straps!). If you give them your wrist size in advance they can get them ordered in for you. Maybe chat with them about that? Good luck with the purchase.

Martyn

Master
    The 42mm is a solid lump noticeable heavier than the 40mm. I tried one on Friday and am debating adding one to go with my 40mm.

Master
    Odd that this thread has popped up as my local AD contacted me today to offer me a YM42. I had turned one down over a year ago, pre the last price rise, and much as I like the watch I would have to lose 2 or 3 others to cover the cost. Prob current model JC and EXP2 42mm polar, plus a PAM. Not certain if it is worth that sacrifice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't sacrifice a JC for a YM42 personally, but I would the other two.

When are Rolex going to Oysterflex the Submariner, grr.

Master
    I have twice tried a JC on a rubber b and twice decided I prefer the bracelet. Odds are I will go for a third, with the same outcome....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I asked to go on the list today. We'll see what happens and what availability looks like.

Master
    Good luck. Pretty sure that you’d never regret buying one. After using one for a year, I like it more than ever.....
    Delivery seems a bit hit and miss, but then it’s a Rolex, so what do you expect! Took me about six months, but then I got offers from two ADs, same week. Seem to be holding value well too. Again, like most Rolex models. Gold is more sought-after these days. Even white gold.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Good luck. Pretty sure that you’d never regret buying one. After using one for a year, I like it more than ever.....
    Delivery seems a bit hit and miss, but then it’s a Rolex, so what do you expect! Took me about six months, but then I got offers from two ADs, same week. Seem to be holding value well too. Again, like most Rolex models. Gold is more sought-after these days. Even white gold.
    Out of interest did you pay RRP? I’ve heard that some AD’s are offering discount on this model?

I haven't asked about price at the AD but I'm guessing not a penny off. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself by testing those waters.

I put in a sell request with WF to check the potential loss and they came back with £17,300-£18,300 which was lower than I expected. Someone did then email me after and indicate they could go higher but I don't have the watch and I wouldn't be selling anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Out of interest did you pay RRP? I’ve heard that some AD’s are offering discount on this model?

No discount.....he wasn’t interested in any deal. I’d be surprised that any AD would do that in the current market. I suppose you could try for a good trade-In. But all of these gold models tend to be restricted supply. Like everything Rolex.

As for WF quotes....ridiculous. Look at used/grey prices. All above retail. Mind you, as i am not interested in ever selling, it means little to me. I’m just going to enjoy wearing it.
    I fondly remember the days when I could get 20% off any gold Rolex without any bother. But the other side of that was poor resale values. Always swings and roundabouts.
    Last edited by paskinner; 28th April 2021 at 09:39.

Journeyman
    What a beautiful pair!!!!!

Congrats on them!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have my Oysterflex on RG and it hasn’t aged at all. It is a blade encased in rubber and I think should last a long time. I can do a comparison of my RG YM40 to the Sub ND41. I don’t have a YM42. Any use?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It has a substantial wrist presence and certainly wears bigger than 41 mm Sub. Oysterflex as Martyn said is quite durable.
    Currently on vacation but can do some comparison pics in a couple of days.
    You back yet? : )
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 28th April 2021 at 21:03.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post

You here all week?

Journeyman
    Hi there

Not sure if you saw the PM I sent you?

Cheers
    Duncan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You back yet? : )
    Sorry, slipped my mind. Will get to it today, promise.

Master
    Thing is, as many people here have experienced, sometimes you have to hold your nose and just dive in. Usually works fine....and I suppose it’s the same with most things, cars, houses, holidays.....wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post
    Hi there

Not sure if you saw the PM I sent you?

Cheers
    Duncan

Sorry, no... just seen and wil reply now!
    Thing is, as many people here have experienced, sometimes you have to hold your nose and just dive in. Usually works fine....and I suppose it’s the same with most things, cars, houses, holidays.....wives.
    My wife let me dive in first. Shame about the "you break it, you bought it" policy

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is any particular comparison you want

Master

Useful....
    Look at the lugs. The 42 lugs are so much slimmer, less ‘blocky’. This was a crucial factor for me. Because the case is also slim (same depth as a Daytona) the sense of bulk is minimised.

That's really useful, thank you. I was scared that as YMs tend to wear small that a YM42 would end up wearing the same as a Sub but that looks noticeably bigger as you originally said it does.

Really interesting and quite reassuring. Let's hope I'm given an allocation. Seems like quite a 'summer watch', let's hope I don't get the call by the time summer is over.

That's really useful, thank you. I was scared that as YMs tend to wear small that a YM42 would end up wearing the same as a Sub but that looks noticeably bigger as you originally said it does.

Really interesting and quite reassuring. Let's hope I'm given an allocation. Seems like quite a 'summer watch', let's hope I don't get the call by the time summer is over.
    Good luck. Hopefully will happen soon enough 👍

2022?

For me the YM 42 size looks absolutely perfect.

Journeyman
    Sent you a PM.

Cheers

Duncan

Could have one sometime during June apparently. Hopefully the Oysterflex is the right size or they have different side or two spare.

Master
    Could have one sometime during June apparently. Hopefully the Oysterflex is the right size or they have different side or two spare.
    Well done, grab it. No problem with the Oysterflex , the AD should provide the correct length for you, and you have the effective glide lock too. I like to wear it slightly loose, but the sheer weight of the case does remind you....to state the obvious, the Oysterflex should fit snugly without adjustment, so that the flexilink can expand or contract according to need.

Local AD has one n the window, tried it on and was surprised how small it wears (in a good way). It was priced at VAT free price of £18k. Looks stunning without being OTT.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Well done, grab it. No problem with the Oysterflex , the AD should provide the correct length for you, and you have the effective glide lock too. I like to wear it slightly loose, but the sheer weight of the case does remind you....to state the obvious, the Oysterflex should fit snugly without adjustment, so that the flexilink can expand or contract according to need.
    Does the 226659 not now have glide-lock clasp like the 126655? It was one reason I waited for the newer version.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG