closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

  1. #1

    Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

    Evening all,

    Ive had abit of a curveball thrown at me this evening. I have been offered a brand new Yachtmaster 42 226659 at RRP as friend wants to maintain a relationship he has with his AD.

    Questions then are does any one have one, if so how long did you have to wait it or did you buy grey, how does it wear. I had an SD43 that i never got on with as it seemed to big.Maybe this is different because of the oysterflex. Any opinions welcomed!

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728

    Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

    I have one, bought it six months ago from the local AD after quite a long wait. Wasn’t that easy to get at that tIme. I used to have an sd43, which is quite a lot chunkier. To me, this is the best looking model Rolex make, but I’m puzzled by your approach. This model costs £23,000, would you buy one simply because you can?
    You can’t be sure whether it will hold value , if that matters. And you can only tell if it suits you by trying it on. It’s obviously a purely personal choice. It’s a lot slimmer than an SD43, an altogether more curvy and elegant watch (I like the SD43 but it’s nothing like as handsome to my eyes)
    I bought the white gold Yachtsman because I very much wanted it.Like most Rolex it seems in short supply, with a ‘grey’ mark-up, but I doubt you’dmake a profit if wanting to sell.
    Incidentally, the Oysterflex is superb.....but only if you want the watch! The final point...do you like white gold? It’s far less ˜bling’ than the rose gold versions, which are also smaller.
    That probably doesn’t help much.... I think you need to really, really, want one for it to make much sense. Good luck.

    Incidentally, note how much more toned-down the design is. The red writing on the rose gold versions has gone, the obvious gold trim on the dial is now an inconspicuous white gold. It suits a particular taste, but is that your kind of taste? Obviously, I can’t know that. Most comments on TZ seem to prefer the rose gold, and possibly the slightly smaller 40mm. Can you find an AD who will let you try the 42mm on? Typically, most ADs won’t have one. It’s Rolex!
    If anywhere near West Sussex you are welcome to try mine. The picture on my wrist makes it look bigger than it really seems. But you may be a 40mm guy. Lots of people are.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th October 2020 at 05:12.

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Newbury, UK
    Posts
    204
    Thatís perfect, love the subtlety.

    Cheers
    Rory


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have one, bought it six months ago from the local AD after quite a long wait. Wasnít that easy to get at that tIme. I used to have an sd43, which is quite a lot chunkier. To me, this is the best looking model Rolex make, but Iím puzzled by your approach. This model costs £23,000, would you buy one simply because you can?
    You canít be sure whether it will hold value , if that matters. And you can only tell if it suits you by trying it on. Itís obviously a purely personal choice. Itís a lot slimmer than an SD43, an altogether more curvy and elegant watch (I like the SD43 but itís nothing like as handsome to my eyes)
    I bought the white gold Yachtsman because I very much wanted it.Like most Rolex it seems in short supply, with a Ďgreyí mark-up, but I doubt youídmake a profit if wanting to sell.
    Incidentally, the Oysterflex is superb.....but only if you want the watch! The final point...do you like white gold? Itís far less ėblingí than the rose gold versions, which are also smaller.
    That probably doesnít help much.... I think you need to really, really, want one for it to make much sense. Good luck.

    Incidentally, note how much more toned-down the design is. The red writing on the rose gold versions has gone, the obvious gold trim on the dial is now an inconspicuous white gold. It suits a particular taste, but is that your kind of taste? Obviously, I canít know that. Most comments on TZ seem to prefer the rose gold, and possibly the slightly smaller 40mm. Can you find an AD who will let you try the 42mm on? Typically, most ADs wonít have one. Itís Rolex!
    If anywhere near West Sussex you are welcome to try mine. The picture on my wrist makes it look bigger than it really seems. But you may be a 40mm guy. Lots of people are.
    Thanks for your response. Firstly to clarify, this watch has been my grail since it was released. The curveball being that i have the opportunity to purchase if wanted, these opportunities rarely come about.

    Thanks for being able to compare it to the SD43, that is proably the most important feedback!

    I will struggle to get one to try on, as we all know very few about. No i am not looking to profit from it, yes it will drop in value, its a PM Rolex so only one way it will go and its not up!

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728

    Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Firstly to clarify, this watch has been my grail since it was released. The curveball being that i have the opportunity to purchase if wanted, these opportunities rarely come about.

    Thanks for being able to compare it to the SD43, that is proably the most important feedback!

    I will struggle to get one to try on, as we all know very few about. No i am not looking to profit from it, yes it will drop in value, its a PM Rolex so only one way it will go and its not up!
    . The best illustration I can suggest of size is something like a broader Daytona. Same slim case and curves, just slightly wider. The depth (less than 12mm) is key, together with the cut-back lugs. It’s not an SD43 by any standard, but it is , obviously, slightly wider than an average Rolex.
    Any chance your friends AD wouid let you try it on? Not much to ask . Good luck.

    And the SD43. Compared with a 40mm DayDate.
    Not ideal, but the best I can do....you can see that the Yachtmaster has more in common with the DayDate than the chunky SD43.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 10:21.

  6. #6
    Thats great,i think my biggest concern was the depth so looks like it could work. Think my BLNR may be up for the chop!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728
    Hereís a photo of the thickness, which I have just taken. Sadly, I donít have much to co pare it with, this is a 41mm CWC naval diver. Not that big. Incidentally, if you look at the SD43, note how much extra metal there is around the lugs. Itís much chunkier.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728

    Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

    One final attempt to contrast the SD43 and YM 42. I no longer own the SD43, but from old photos and new ones...



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 11:11.

  9. #9
    Journeyman Afhgus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    nr Hindhead tunnel hants
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Thatís perfect, love the subtlety.

    Cheers
    Rory


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am sure a pre owned is a better choice,

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    One final attempt to contrast the SD43 and YM 42. I no longer own the SD43, but from old photos and new ones...



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are you able to get any sort of discount on either this or the RG yachtmaster?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Are you able to get any sort of discount on either this or the RG yachtmaster?
    At the minute I'd guess not (unless you have a really good relationship with an independent). In six months after wave two, how Christmas goes for retailers, how Jan 1st works out for the UK and how many still have their job by the new tax year it could be back to 30% off PM Rolex again.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728
    I found it a struggle to get the watch at all; certainly no discount. Which contrasts with a few years ago when 10-15% was on offer. It’s just supply and demand.
    Right now, used prices seem slightly higher than retail. It’s a tough market.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 16:48.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,957




    I no longer have mine and itís probably the one I miss the most, Iíve only got some older pics against my blnr and a watch box shot alongside the sd43

    As has been mentioned the oyster flex is brilliant, the sd wears a lot heavier in my opinion due thickness and heft of bracelet the rose gold ym is a thing of beauty

    I hope to have another at some point in the future


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684
    I have the YM42WG and a SD43 if you want contrast photos.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    3,341
    LOL dont even consider paying retail for this watch. It's nice but nothing special, sitting in windows here and there as it is. Will be had at a big discount sooner rather than later.

  16. #16
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,891
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    LOL dont even consider paying retail for this watch. It's nice but nothing special, sitting in windows here and there as it is. Will be had at a big discount sooner rather than later.
    If thatís the case then I suppose I could live with the larger case size.

    40mm WG would be perfect though.

  17. #17
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    At the minute I'd guess not (unless you have a really good relationship with an independent). In six months after wave two, how Christmas goes for retailers, how Jan 1st works out for the UK and how many still have their job by the new tax year it could be back to 30% off PM Rolex again.
    I donít remember 30% off PM Rolex - do you mean from an AD? But the I havenít been in PM Rolex market very long. The White gold PM seems to be a premium in the grey market the 126655 is also a premium (probably because its new out) the 116655 less so.

  18. #18
    Craftsman DigitalSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post




    I no longer have mine and itís probably the one I miss the most, Iíve only got some older pics against my blnr and a watch box shot alongside the sd43

    As has been mentioned the oyster flex is brilliant, the sd wears a lot heavier in my opinion due thickness and heft of bracelet the rose gold ym is a thing of beauty

    I hope to have another at some point in the future


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sir is a nice collection



    S

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    S.Yorks
    Posts
    991



    There you go. Maybe helps a little
    SD43 definitely sits a lot higher. I wouldnít even consider a NATO on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I donít remember 30% off PM Rolex - do you mean from an AD? But the I havenít been in PM Rolex market very long. The White gold PM seems to be a premium in the grey market the 126655 is also a premium (probably because its new out) the 116655 less so.
    I've never been fortunate enough to buy a PM Rolex but I've seen threads where people were able to get them for 20-30% off. This depends what it is and how popular each model is but 30% was the absolute max.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post




    I no longer have mine and itís probably the one I miss the most, Iíve only got some older pics against my blnr and a watch box shot alongside the sd43

    As has been mentioned the oyster flex is brilliant, the sd wears a lot heavier in my opinion due thickness and heft of bracelet the rose gold ym is a thing of beauty

    I hope to have another at some point in the future


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2 mate nice collection I had both the blnr and the rose yacht master, needless to say I got rid of the yacht master and deeply regret it to the day ! Best looking watch Iíve owned and hands down the comfiest wearer !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've never been fortunate enough to buy a PM Rolex but I've seen threads where people were able to get them for 20-30% off. This depends what it is and how popular each model is but 30% was the absolute max.
    There might be exceptions; but (say) five years ago, you could
    get 20% off something like a DayDate. You had to know the dealer quite well. Then, about three years ago, it seemed to fall to 10%. Now, in my experience, it’s difficult to get 5% off something like a DayDate and nothing off a gold Daytona. Rolex seem to control numbers more tightly, and gold Rolex have become more fashionable....the key there is the gold Daytona on Oysterflex. Very ‘hot.’ And, inevitably, used prices have climbed, as they do on most Rolex models.
    So, I think now you have to grit your teeth, probably pay retail and, usually, wait a few months. Sound familiar?
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 20:40.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post



    There you go. Maybe helps a little
    SD43 definitely sits a lot higher. I wouldnít even consider a NATO on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent. Look at how much broader the lugs of the SD43 are. Itís just a bigger, bulkier, thicker, watch. Thatís not a criticism...I really like the SD43. But itís a different animal.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So, I think now you have to grit your teeth, pay retail and, usually, wait a few months. Sound familiar?
    Yep, full price and if you're lucky (and if you have any money left) they'll call you to pick up something "hot" later on as a reward. I'm waiting for a YM40 with the rhodium dial for over a month now for a friend. I thought they'd put me on the Christmas card list and roll out the red carpet but right now there is no such thing as a bad or undesirable Rolex. Everything is selling and selling immediately.

    I was actually really surprised to see this display yesterday in London but from the price I think the plain RG Oysterflex is 37mm.

  25. #25
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, full price and if you're lucky (and if you have any money left) they'll call you to pick up something "hot" later on as a reward. I'm waiting for a YM40 with the rhodium dial for over a month now for a friend. I thought they'd put me on the Christmas card list and roll out the red carpet but right now there is no such thing as a bad or undesirable Rolex. Everything is selling and selling immediately.

    I was actually really surprised to see this display yesterday in London but from the price I think the plain RG Oysterflex is 37mm.
    Yes. That’s the MRP price for the 37mm. The 40mm RG is £21,900

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, full price and if you're lucky (and if you have any money left) they'll call you to pick up something "hot" later on as a reward. I'm waiting for a YM40 with the rhodium dial for over a month now for a friend. I thought they'd put me on the Christmas card list and roll out the red carpet but right now there is no such thing as a bad or undesirable Rolex. Everything is selling and selling immediately.

    I was actually really surprised to see this display yesterday in London but from the price I think the plain RG Oysterflex is 37mm.
    What have they done to the dial on that RG YM it looks so out of keeping!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post



    There you go. Maybe helps a little
    SD43 definitely sits a lot higher. I wouldnít even consider a NATO on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That photo says it all. As PASKINNER had rightly pointed out about the lugs. This gives me much more confidence that it would work on my wrist. Thanks to everyone for there contributions this is why Iím a member on TZ. Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  28. #28
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    This is the 40mm equivalent compared to a submariner case


  29. #29
    Can someone tell me the weight of the WG42YM. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information