closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

Evening all,

Ive had abit of a curveball thrown at me this evening. I have been offered a brand new Yachtmaster 42 226659 at RRP as friend wants to maintain a relationship he has with his AD.

Questions then are does any one have one, if so how long did you have to wait it or did you buy grey, how does it wear. I had an SD43 that i never got on with as it seemed to big.Maybe this is different because of the oysterflex. Any opinions welcomed!

Master

Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

I have one, bought it six months ago from the local AD after quite a long wait. Wasn’t that easy to get at that tIme. I used to have an sd43, which is quite a lot chunkier. To me, this is the best looking model Rolex make, but I’m puzzled by your approach. This model costs £23,000, would you buy one simply because you can?
    You can’t be sure whether it will hold value , if that matters. And you can only tell if it suits you by trying it on. It’s obviously a purely personal choice. It’s a lot slimmer than an SD43, an altogether more curvy and elegant watch (I like the SD43 but it’s nothing like as handsome to my eyes)
    I bought the white gold Yachtsman because I very much wanted it.Like most Rolex it seems in short supply, with a ‘grey’ mark-up, but I doubt you’dmake a profit if wanting to sell.
    Incidentally, the Oysterflex is superb.....but only if you want the watch! The final point...do you like white gold? It’s far less ˜bling’ than the rose gold versions, which are also smaller.
    That probably doesn’t help much.... I think you need to really, really, want one for it to make much sense. Good luck.

Incidentally, note how much more toned-down the design is. The red writing on the rose gold versions has gone, the obvious gold trim on the dial is now an inconspicuous white gold. It suits a particular taste, but is that your kind of taste? Obviously, I can’t know that. Most comments on TZ seem to prefer the rose gold, and possibly the slightly smaller 40mm. Can you find an AD who will let you try the 42mm on? Typically, most ADs won’t have one. It’s Rolex!
    If anywhere near West Sussex you are welcome to try mine. The picture on my wrist makes it look bigger than it really seems. But you may be a 40mm guy. Lots of people are.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th October 2020 at 05:12.

Craftsman
    That’s perfect, love the subtlety.

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have one, bought it six months ago from the local AD after quite a long wait. Wasn’t that easy to get at that tIme. I used to have an sd43, which is quite a lot chunkier. To me, this is the best looking model Rolex make, but I’m puzzled by your approach. This model costs £23,000, would you buy one simply because you can?
    You can’t be sure whether it will hold value , if that matters. And you can only tell if it suits you by trying it on. It’s obviously a purely personal choice. It’s a lot slimmer than an SD43, an altogether more curvy and elegant watch (I like the SD43 but it’s nothing like as handsome to my eyes)
    I bought the white gold Yachtsman because I very much wanted it.Like most Rolex it seems in short supply, with a ‘grey’ mark-up, but I doubt you’dmake a profit if wanting to sell.
    Incidentally, the Oysterflex is superb.....but only if you want the watch! The final point...do you like white gold? It’s far less ˜bling’ than the rose gold versions, which are also smaller.
    That probably doesn’t help much.... I think you need to really, really, want one for it to make much sense. Good luck.

Incidentally, note how much more toned-down the design is. The red writing on the rose gold versions has gone, the obvious gold trim on the dial is now an inconspicuous white gold. It suits a particular taste, but is that your kind of taste? Obviously, I can’t know that. Most comments on TZ seem to prefer the rose gold, and possibly the slightly smaller 40mm. Can you find an AD who will let you try the 42mm on? Typically, most ADs won’t have one. It’s Rolex!
    If anywhere near West Sussex you are welcome to try mine. The picture on my wrist makes it look bigger than it really seems. But you may be a 40mm guy. Lots of people are.
    Thanks for your response. Firstly to clarify, this watch has been my grail since it was released. The curveball being that i have the opportunity to purchase if wanted, these opportunities rarely come about.

Thanks for being able to compare it to the SD43, that is proably the most important feedback!

I will struggle to get one to try on, as we all know very few about. No i am not looking to profit from it, yes it will drop in value, its a PM Rolex so only one way it will go and its not up!

Master

Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Firstly to clarify, this watch has been my grail since it was released. The curveball being that i have the opportunity to purchase if wanted, these opportunities rarely come about.

Thanks for being able to compare it to the SD43, that is proably the most important feedback!

I will struggle to get one to try on, as we all know very few about. No i am not looking to profit from it, yes it will drop in value, its a PM Rolex so only one way it will go and its not up!
    . The best illustration I can suggest of size is something like a broader Daytona. Same slim case and curves, just slightly wider. The depth (less than 12mm) is key, together with the cut-back lugs. It’s not an SD43 by any standard, but it is , obviously, slightly wider than an average Rolex.
    Any chance your friends AD wouid let you try it on? Not much to ask . Good luck.

And the SD43. Compared with a 40mm DayDate.
    Not ideal, but the best I can do....you can see that the Yachtmaster has more in common with the DayDate than the chunky SD43.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 10:21.

Thats great,i think my biggest concern was the depth so looks like it could work. Think my BLNR may be up for the chop!

Master
    Here’s a photo of the thickness, which I have just taken. Sadly, I don’t have much to co pare it with, this is a 41mm CWC naval diver. Not that big. Incidentally, if you look at the SD43, note how much extra metal there is around the lugs. It’s much chunkier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Rolex Yachtmaster 226659

One final attempt to contrast the SD43 and YM 42. I no longer own the SD43, but from old photos and new ones...

Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    That’s perfect, love the subtlety.

Cheers
    Rory

I am sure a pre owned is a better choice,

Master
    One final attempt to contrast the SD43 and YM 42. I no longer own the SD43, but from old photos and new ones...

Are you able to get any sort of discount on either this or the RG yachtmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Are you able to get any sort of discount on either this or the RG yachtmaster?
    At the minute I'd guess not (unless you have a really good relationship with an independent). In six months after wave two, how Christmas goes for retailers, how Jan 1st works out for the UK and how many still have their job by the new tax year it could be back to 30% off PM Rolex again.

Master
    I found it a struggle to get the watch at all; certainly no discount. Which contrasts with a few years ago when 10-15% was on offer. It’s just supply and demand.
    Right now, used prices seem slightly higher than retail. It’s a tough market.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 16:48.

Master

I no longer have mine and it’s probably the one I miss the most, I’ve only got some older pics against my blnr and a watch box shot alongside the sd43

As has been mentioned the oyster flex is brilliant, the sd wears a lot heavier in my opinion due thickness and heft of bracelet the rose gold ym is a thing of beauty

I hope to have another at some point in the future

Master
    I have the YM42WG and a SD43 if you want contrast photos.

Master
    LOL dont even consider paying retail for this watch. It's nice but nothing special, sitting in windows here and there as it is. Will be had at a big discount sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    LOL dont even consider paying retail for this watch. It's nice but nothing special, sitting in windows here and there as it is. Will be had at a big discount sooner rather than later.
    If that’s the case then I suppose I could live with the larger case size.

40mm WG would be perfect though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    At the minute I'd guess not (unless you have a really good relationship with an independent). In six months after wave two, how Christmas goes for retailers, how Jan 1st works out for the UK and how many still have their job by the new tax year it could be back to 30% off PM Rolex again.
    I don’t remember 30% off PM Rolex - do you mean from an AD? But the I haven’t been in PM Rolex market very long. The White gold PM seems to be a premium in the grey market the 126655 is also a premium (probably because its new out) the 116655 less so.

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

I no longer have mine and it’s probably the one I miss the most, I’ve only got some older pics against my blnr and a watch box shot alongside the sd43

As has been mentioned the oyster flex is brilliant, the sd wears a lot heavier in my opinion due thickness and heft of bracelet the rose gold ym is a thing of beauty

That sir is a nice collection

S

Master

There you go. Maybe helps a little
    SD43 definitely sits a lot higher. I wouldn’t even consider a NATO on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I don’t remember 30% off PM Rolex - do you mean from an AD? But the I haven’t been in PM Rolex market very long. The White gold PM seems to be a premium in the grey market the 126655 is also a premium (probably because its new out) the 116655 less so.
    I've never been fortunate enough to buy a PM Rolex but I've seen threads where people were able to get them for 20-30% off. This depends what it is and how popular each model is but 30% was the absolute max.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

X2 mate nice collection I had both the blnr and the rose yacht master, needless to say I got rid of the yacht master and deeply regret it to the day ! Best looking watch I’ve owned and hands down the comfiest wearer !

Master
    I've never been fortunate enough to buy a PM Rolex but I've seen threads where people were able to get them for 20-30% off. This depends what it is and how popular each model is but 30% was the absolute max.
    There might be exceptions; but (say) five years ago, you could
    get 20% off something like a DayDate. You had to know the dealer quite well. Then, about three years ago, it seemed to fall to 10%. Now, in my experience, it’s difficult to get 5% off something like a DayDate and nothing off a gold Daytona. Rolex seem to control numbers more tightly, and gold Rolex have become more fashionable....the key there is the gold Daytona on Oysterflex. Very ‘hot.’ And, inevitably, used prices have climbed, as they do on most Rolex models.
    So, I think now you have to grit your teeth, probably pay retail and, usually, wait a few months. Sound familiar?
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th October 2020 at 20:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post

Excellent. Look at how much broader the lugs of the SD43 are. It’s just a bigger, bulkier, thicker, watch. That’s not a criticism...I really like the SD43. But it’s a different animal.

So, I think now you have to grit your teeth, pay retail and, usually, wait a few months. Sound familiar?
    Yep, full price and if you're lucky (and if you have any money left) they'll call you to pick up something "hot" later on as a reward. I'm waiting for a YM40 with the rhodium dial for over a month now for a friend. I thought they'd put me on the Christmas card list and roll out the red carpet but right now there is no such thing as a bad or undesirable Rolex. Everything is selling and selling immediately.

I was actually really surprised to see this display yesterday in London but from the price I think the plain RG Oysterflex is 37mm.

Blog Entries
    Yep, full price and if you're lucky (and if you have any money left) they'll call you to pick up something "hot" later on as a reward. I'm waiting for a YM40 with the rhodium dial for over a month now for a friend. I thought they'd put me on the Christmas card list and roll out the red carpet but right now there is no such thing as a bad or undesirable Rolex. Everything is selling and selling immediately.

I was actually really surprised to see this display yesterday in London but from the price I think the plain RG Oysterflex is 37mm.
    Yes. That’s the MRP price for the 37mm. The 40mm RG is £21,900

Craftsman

What have they done to the dial on that RG YM it looks so out of keeping!

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post

That photo says it all. As PASKINNER had rightly pointed out about the lugs. This gives me much more confidence that it would work on my wrist. Thanks to everyone for there contributions this is why I’m a member on TZ. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    This is the 40mm equivalent compared to a submariner case

Can someone tell me the weight of the WG42YM. Thanks

I would like to say that since owning my YM 42 it’s been a joy to wear. I have now owned it since Nov 20. The colour of the case truly is stunning and the ceramic bezel really does in my opinion make it the best looking watch Rolex do. But I would say that wouldn’t I?

Anyhow, the watch wasn’t too difficult to purchase and I don’t care about residuals I just fell for the watch as soon as I saw it. And that’s all that mattered to me.

Master
    I certainly don’t regret buying one, and have been wearing it nearly every day for the best part of a year, without getting bored.
    But, as always, it’s personal. If it ever becomes available in steel, it will sell in large numbers because it is seriously handsome. To my eyes anyway. The white gold forces up prices a lot, to the joy of Rolex...
    Unwise to tempt fate, but I don’t see myself ever selling this. It just happens to suit my taste.
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th February 2021 at 03:39.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th February 2021 at 12:45.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    There might be exceptions; but (say) five years ago, you could
    get 20% off something like a DayDate. You had to know the dealer quite well. Then, about three years ago, it seemed to fall to 10%. Now, in my experience, it’s difficult to get 5% off something like a DayDate and nothing off a gold Daytona. Rolex seem to control numbers more tightly, and gold Rolex have become more fashionable....the key there is the gold Daytona on Oysterflex. Very ‘hot.’ And, inevitably, used prices have climbed, as they do on most Rolex models.
    So, I think now you have to grit your teeth, probably pay retail and, usually, wait a few months. Sound familiar?
    An old friend of mine who was in the Jewellery business but not a Rolex dealer told me years ago 25% discount off PM Rolex was able to be achieved quite easily.

I bought my wife a YG ladies date watch not really that long after , without much haggling I’d got them to discount it by 20 % and they changed the strap to an Oyster as part of the deal.

When we bought her a WG ladies date with a president bracelet about 5 years ago I could only wangle 15% discount.

I enquired about a RG piece for myself last year , they will let me know when they get one in to try on , no discount will be given .

How things change ....

Blog Entries
    Still loving my 40mm RG version - either is good. Photo from today - btw paid full retail for mine. Not too difficult to find - no mention of discounts late last summer.

Well I’ve come back to this thread as I still haven’t decided what todo. My friend has purchased the YM so it’s there if I want it. Does anyone have any wrist shots they can put up?

Master
    If you are still not sure than I would suggest it’s not for you. I had the choice if 42 and 40mm YM and it was the quickest decision of my life to make. It simply appealed to me more.

Master
    Well I’ve come back to this thread as I still haven’t decided what todo. My friend has purchased the YM so it’s there if I want it. Does anyone have any wrist shots they can put up?

If he has it, why not try it on in person? Another way to deal with this is to list all your doubts/objections and work through them. This is what a salesman would do.

Master
    Good general guide; if unsure, don’t buy.

Blog Entries

Won’t he let you try it on?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Won’t he let you try it on?
    Gents yes he will let me try it on, however current government restrictions do not allow that at the moment. He lives circa 60miles from me.

Good guide but sometimes what makes you unsure - or nervous - is the price. I would probably be the same as the OP until it's on the wrist and I knew it was the right call.

In fact I was the exact same about my first expensive watch as it was £6k and I was so scared of spending that amount of money on something that wasn't a car. Since then I've done it a few more times but the first time had the most doubt/nerves etc even though years later I know it was the right decision.

Master
    Yes. "If in doubt, leave it out", as the saying goes.

Good guide but sometimes what makes you unsure - or nervous - is the price. I would probably be the same as the OP until it's on the wrist and I knew it was the right call.

In fact I was the exact same about my first expensive watch as it was £6k and I was so scared of spending that amount of money on something that wasn't a car. Since then I've done it a few more times but the first time had the most doubt/nerves etc even though years later I know it was the right decision.
    It totally agree with this statement. Its a lot more than I've spent on a watch to date, and given that i don't seem to wear the watches i do have perhaps i don't actually need it after all. Ive also been quite busy since i started the thread, new house, new car, new baby, new project at work. Im just tying to gauge others views on it. I think I'm also hoping that the Ben Ainslie watch my be released!

I'm also hoping that the Ben Ainslie watch my be released!
    You and me both!

Master
    Ben Ainslie lost.
    Omega sponsor the likely winners....the New Zealand team. And they are the official timekeepers.
    Not much room for Rolex in that. Rare for them to be on the losing side. My guess is they won’t say a word.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th March 2021 at 09:50.

Had it on yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Had it on yesterday.

nice size, am after one of these myself

Chaps, how are you all getting on with the YM42? I was at the AD today and I think I've been talked into one. They didn't have one for me to try but said when one comes in they'll give me a call and I can decide.

It'll be worn mostly with a Sub ND41, SD43 and D-Blue. The pictures against the SD43 are really interesting. Do any of you have a Sub ND41 to compare it to in pics? How is the Oysterflex over time, does it get old looking at all? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Chaps, how are you all getting on with the YM42? I was at the AD today and I think I've been talked into one. They didn't have one for me to try but said when one comes in they'll give me a call and I can decide.

It'll be worn mostly with a Sub ND41, SD43 and D-Blue. The pictures against the SD43 are really interesting. Do any of you have a Sub ND41 to compare it to in pics? How is the Oysterflex over time, does it get old looking at all? Thanks in advance.
    I have my Oysterflex on RG and it hasn’t aged at all. It is a blade encased in rubber and I think should last a long time. I can do a comparison of my RG YM40 to the Sub ND41. I don’t have a YM42. Any use?

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th April 2021 at 20:18.

Thank you Martyn, really interesting to see the comparison with the Sub ND 41 even though it's the YM40.

This is the Sub ND 41 on my wrist just now. I'm hoping the YM42 wears a bit larger as although the YM is a 42 I think they wear a bit smaller than their figures suggest.

This is the best video I've been able to find of the YM42 in decent lighting and it looks superb. I think sizing is the main consideration.
    https://youtu.be/YZ7dUyeghXI

I really do hope they're supplied on the correct straps for the wrist and you don't have to pay the £240 or so per side to make it work...