closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zwift and Smart Turbo Trainers ??

Blog Entries

Zwift and Smart Turbo Trainers ??

Education time once again chaps.

Im a runner no cyclist but after buying a Propel in the summer I am really enjoying the cycling thing and thinking now its time to get set up for the winter.

So Zwift, where do I start and some turbo recommendations please.

Cheers

Pitch

Ive just bought a Tacx Flux s - havent had a chance to set it up as have been busy with work.

Will set up early next week and report back.

Master
    Just go outside and cycle on a road, it's fine. Wrap up warm!

Craftsman
    Make sure it is a smart trainer that will control the resistance so it changes when you go up hill. The cheaper one that means you keep your rear wheel in are fine but a bit noisy, direct drive models are better and quieter.

Oh, must state it is extremely boring! I still do it when the weather is crap....

I went with an Elite Direto a few years ago. Excellent direct drive smart trainer that was very accurate with the built in power meter when compared to my crank power meter. Relatively quiet and had ERG mode etc. Quick set up, really was just plug and play. Registered a Zwift account and the sync was again a painless process.

Ran Zwift via my IPad then used a lightning cable to the tv for a more immersive experience. Was happy to pay the original 9.99 subscription charge but when Zwift increased the price to 15.00 per month I realised I was still going out and getting in the winter miles vs probably an hour or so a week on Zwift and the outlay of the equipment wasnt worth it. Anything over an hour was torture for the mind for me but some can happily spin away for hours on end.

Sold the trainer last last year with the wheel riser and spare cassette for about 400 from memory. Plenty of second hand units at decent prices as people like me find it hard to commit to the indoor experience.

Craftsman
    Ive got a Tacx Neo and have covered over 5000 miles on Zwift. If you join group rides or races then that helps reduce the boredom!

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You need to tell us your budget, as that makes a world of difference.

You can ride on Zwift with a 100 basic trainer if you want albeit you'll need cadence and speed sensor to get anything meaningful out of it (bluetooth ones if you want to use an iPad or similar, otherwise you can use Ant+ on a PC/Mac with a dongle).

That's how I started and it was ok, but not great.

Beyond that you get into the world of smart trainers, of which there are plenty, and various types (wheel on, wheel off using your own bike, or smart trainers like my Wattbike Atom)

I went the whole hog and got a kickr bike as I can share it with my wife. Liking Zwift so far. If I wasn't sharing the trainer or had more space I would have got a kickr trainer and used my existing bike or bought a new bike with it.

You'll need something to Zwift on. You can use your phone if you're in a pinch but most people use an iPad or laptop. I think you might be able to use it direct on your TV with one of the newer Apple TV boxes but the graphics aren't as good.

DC Rainmaker is a good channel on YouTube

Interesting thread, Im slowly moving from the treadmill running to using a Wattbike Atom at work, enjoyed it so much so that Im now thinking about getting a Wattbike for home, problem is the 15-17 week delivery time and the fact that used ones are still going for eye watering prices on eBay...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Interesting thread, Im slowly moving from the treadmill running to using a Wattbike Atom at work, enjoyed it so much so that Im now thinking about getting a Wattbike for home, problem is the 15-17 week delivery time and the fact that used ones are still going for eye watering prices on eBay...

I put in an order for one last month with a January delivery and they took the entire amount up front. Cancelled my order immediately and went with Wahoo. Took about two weeks and constant chasing to get my money back from Wattbike.

Ive used Zwift with an Elite Qubo for 3 years, and it worked well with an ANT collection to a laptop. That kind of smart trainer can only simulate a hill up to about 6%

Ive just, as in this week, switched to an Elite Suito direct drive. It works very nicely, and as it comes with an 11 speed cassette I can just attach my summer road bike to it. It works well with both a laptop (ANT), and iPad (Bluetooth). It can simulate a 15% hill, which is enough for me!

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 17th October 2020 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I put in an order for one last month with a January delivery and they took the entire amount up front. Cancelled my order immediately and went with Wahoo. Took about two weeks and constant chasing to get my money back from Wattbike.
    Thats good to know, and a very poor business plan, take the money then expect the customer to wait 4 months???

I do like the Wattbike and the time flies when I use it at work, not as much strain on my knees as pounding the treadmill which is a bonus...

I use a Wahoo Kickr Core which has been perfect on Zwift. I also use Garmin vector pedals (power meter) and I can control the Kickr using the power reading from them rather than the Kickr itself, this means that when I cycle outside the power is reflective of the effort on the turbo - although I think the turbo is pretty good and dont have much variation to the pedals.

To make Zwift more interesting get involved in some of the racing, at start of lockdown I was racing twice a week in a league and it was the highlight of the start of lockdown. Nearly broke me a few times though!

Great for winter training, long rides can be dull, but at least youre not putting your self at risk of falling off and ending up in hospital!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tacx flux s. Works fine. But I prefer the road still although any risk of ice and I’m on the turbo.

Just been reading up on a Wahoo Kickr Snap Trainer, I currently do have a Turbo Trainer but do want to use Zwift, also a quarter of the price of the WattBike Atom (if they had them in stock).

Anyone got or used a Wahoo Kickr Snap Trainer, sounds and looks ideal for my use at home...

SydR
    My current smart trainer is the Elite Suito. Its a direct drive until and comes ready to go with a Shimano 11 speed cassette.

Its controlled via Bluetooth and connects to my Apple TV, or via the companion app on my iPhone if Im using 3 or more Bluetooth devices.

Another question someone on here maybe can answer, if i had the Wahoo Core Trainer, do you need to purchase a gearing cassette for it?

Another question someone on here maybe can answer, if i had the Wahoo Core Trainer, do you need to purchase a gearing cassette for it?

I believe so yes

I believe so yes
    Thanks

Grand Master
    Personally I would spend the money on the smart Over the core and dont bother with the silly incline device or fan.

Get yourself a Motherwell or amazon 20 fan and if you’re a fun / keen amateur then subscription to Zwift, partake in general riding for a few miles say to level 7/8 then look at joining Zwift academy and also entering races for fun!

Mix your week up with a few 1 hour rides, 1 academy session and maybe 1 race/group ride

Dont chase the numbers and wherever possible go outdoors, my general rule is I indoor when its cold and wet and dark, if its just wet or just cold or just dark then a trip outdoors is a winner but a sturdy trainer with a decent flywheel and some motivational software is all you need.

I run mine on the iPad and generally dont bother watching it for most rides as I’m watching Netflix, for races or academy sessions I watch and sometimes go 60” big screen with a iPad to HDMI lead

If a few of us get into it then we can add to the TZ Cycling club and have a few online socials and maybe a monthly race for fun.

In fact just got a reminder I’m on the Volcano Lap at 1130hrs today, deep hill joy!!!
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 17th October 2020 at 11:03.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Personally I would spend the money on the smart Over the core and dont bother with the silly incline device or fan.

Get yourself a Motherwell or amazon 20 fan and if you’re a fun / keen amateur then subscription to Zwift, partake in general riding for a few miles say to level 7/8 then look at joining Zwift academy and also entering races for fun!

Mix your week up with a few 1 hour rides, 1 academy session and maybe 1 race/group ride

Dont chase the numbers and wherever possible go outdoors, my general rule is I indoor when its cold and wet and dark, if its just wet or just cold or just dark then a trip outdoors is a winner but a sturdy trainer with a decent flywheel and some motivational software is all you need.

I run mine on the iPad and generally dont bother watching it for most rides as I’m watching Netflix, for races or academy sessions I watch and sometimes go 60” big screen with a iPad to HDMI lead

If a few of us get into it then we can add to the TZ Cycling club and have a few online socials and maybe a monthly race for fun.

In fact just got a reminder I’m on the Volcano Lap at 1130hrs today, deep hill joy!!!
    Whats the reasoning to go extra over the Core then please?

Problem with the top of the range smart is the price lol, seriously if Im looking at that Id rather just see if i can score a WattBike Atom off eBay for a few hundred more and then just have the road bike for outdoors stuff...

Thanks

This is part of the reason I got the entire bike. I have a 1x11 gravel bike so if I was using just the trainer my wife would have needed a bike with similar gearing or I would have got a different road bike and I'd already used my cycle to work voucher on the 1x11 gravel bike.

Blog Entries
    Cheers all and very useful.

I had been recommended this as a good starter bit of kit.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/tur...er-461874.html

Thoughts??

Ta

Pitch

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/...p-bike-trainer

For the same money I would probably go with Wahoo or one of the other main brands.

I have an Elite roller turbo trainer and I have to say the noise level isnt the best, hence one of the reasons looking at a direct drive or the Wattbike tbh...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do a bit of racing on Zwift, you have to pair your account with Zwiftpower.com which is a bit of a faff but once done analyses your races to keep you in the correct group.

The races start mentally hard and you have to make a max effort to make the selection in the front group. Im in the B category and can generally hold the front group but always end up getting shelled out on a hill with about 70% done and roll in in a chasing group.

Makes turbo time considerably more entertaining.

Grand Master

Whats the reasoning to go extra over the Core then please?

Problem with the top of the range smart is the price lol, seriously if Im looking at that Id rather just see if i can score a WattBike Atom off eBay for a few hundred more and then just have the road bike for outdoors stuff...

The flywheel makes it feel a lot more realistic in fact its the closest youll get to riding on the road with a flywheel of that size the core is okay in terms of stability but the smart is really robust and a lot easier to fold up and put away and also a lot easier to move around which you dont think is an issue if you just gonna stick it in a garage and never move it but if you want to put it into multiple locations or you like to adjust things then the ease of movement is a real winner. Youll forget about the money long after you for the decent bit of kit the core I think is overpriced for what it is and I think that the smart is a far better Built unit personally.

For those that are thinking for the same money you can buy a wattbike I dont think the experience is the same wattbike is just an indoor exercise bike I like to ride my real bike on the turbo so that I get used to the position and then when I transfer that back onto the road it just feels perfect I always feel on wattbikes and any indoor exercise specific bikes that Im just pedalling whereas I can lose myself on the proper bike if that makes sense.

The other advantage over buying a wattbike is a wattbike is a big clumsy lump where is the wahoo is perfect even if you go away travelling or when youre not using it during the summer it folds away nice and neat and you can forget about it for seven or eight months
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 17th October 2020 at 16:19.
    RIAC

Ive recently bought a Kickr and its an amazing bit of kit. It was a reconditioned one but comes with a guarantee and looked brand new. Linked to Zwift its quite easy to do 2hrs on it and it flies by. Ive also got a ELEMNT Bolt so if I want to I can replicate routes Ive done outside. Not tried that yet but its an option.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Ive recently bought a Kickr and its an amazing bit of kit. It was a reconditioned one but comes with a guarantee and looked brand new. Linked to Zwift its quite easy to do 2hrs on it and it flies by. Ive also got a ELEMNT Bolt so if I want to I can replicate routes Ive done outside. Not tried that yet but its an option.
    Which version did you get?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Thoughts??

Ta

Pitch
    Id get a direct drive over a wheel on. Youll need a spare wheel with a special turbo tyre otherwise your tyre will wear really quickly and even with the turbo tyre they end up slipping under power. The Elite direct drive turbos are good, Ive got a Tacx Flux but there are lots of problems with the plastic pulley tensioner arm.

Morning, went with a refurbished Wahoo Kickr Smart from Wahoo as recommended by Badger.

Home gym now finished (daughters play room was traded up haha).

Just completed a 32 min ride on Zwift to get the knees going, I will instantly say thats its great being able to watch yourself on the screen against others, just need to work out how to get cadence set up and linked and Im away...

No problem at all, glad I could help! A lovely setup youve got there.

You probably (no definitely) need a fan or two, its hot work!

Thanks Pete, Ill have a think, may put one on a wall...

Grand Master
    Morning, went with a refurbished Wahoo Kickr Smart from Wahoo as recommended by Badger.

Just completed a 32 min ride on Zwift to get the knees going, I will instantly say thats its great being able to watch yourself on the screen against others, just need to work out how to get cadence set up and linked and Im away...

Get the companion app
    And add each other if you want.

Ill be creating a Tz group ride when we have enough of us on zwift.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Get the companion app
    And add each other if you want.

Ill be creating a Tz group ride when we have enough of us on zwift.
    Count me in please

Nice set up. How do you select the rewards on the top left next to your stats? Looks like you have a feather there. In the iPad I tap it. I have an Apple TV but it's too old for Zwift.

Not sure its the first time I used it this morning mate, forgot to set the kickr up properly on the Wahoo app as well, so Ive now sorted that and it has updated to the latest version, got the cadence working and also completed the spin down.

Still playing around with the Zwift app on the TV and you can count me in for the Zwift TZ group as well when you get it going...

Last edited by Martylaa; 25th October 2020 at 12:58.

Great during the day, not happening in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Thoughts??

Ta

Pitch
    I bought one last week. I already had a spare set of wheels so I put a turbo tyre on, plugged it in, got a Zwift account and got going.
    Much better than just using a boggo turbo trainer.
    Im still trying to do 100k on a Sunday but I got a couple of hours in on Zwift in the week and it definitely helps.

Craftsman
    Ive had a Tacx Flux for a few years now, only used it intermittently until lockdown started an I couldnt ride outside. In March I subscribed to Zwift and bought an AppleTV and a cheap 40 TV for the garage. I really like Zwift! Ive done the 12 week FTP builder training programme and now Im doing Zwift Academy. I do about 6 hours a week on it and its significantly improved my fitness. Ive also lost 9kg over 7 months which Im pretty happy about as its got my weight down lower than anything else Ive done before.

For anyone new to Zwift its worth having a good read of the Zwift Insider website, lots of useful info thats otherwise hard to find.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

SydR
    My home setup has evolved over the year, especially after cancelling my gym membership.

Its now an Elite Suito direct drive trainer linked to Zwift via an Apple TV 4k and output, via a projector, to a 100 screen to give that immersive feeling.

As others say, get a fan.... or two!

Master
    Count me in please
    Yeah I'd be up for that if around

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    Great during the day, not happening in the dark.
    Fair enough, each to their own. I find that a powerful front light helps a lot.

Fair enough, each to their own. I find that a powerful front light helps a lot.
    I use day running lights and despite living in Leicester city centre, I can be in the countryside in 12 minutes, which is generally unlit on lanes used by people with a genuine disregard for their own safety, let alone any one elses. So Im stopping in

On a slight tangent - my current set up is Wahoo Kickr connected to Zwift on my iPad and phone with companion app, that I bring into the garage each session. All working seamlessly. Ive just been given a monitor with a bigger screen than my iPad so am I thinking of a more permanent set up. Leave the monitor in the garage and connect up to Zwift somehow. The somehow is my issue!!

What would be the easiest and cost effective way to do this? It wouldnt need anything else apart from linking to Zwift and my Wahoo kickr, cadence and HRM)
    Last edited by badger1; 26th October 2020 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    On a slight tangent - my current set up is Wahoo Kickr connected to Zwift on my iPad and phone with companion app, that I bring into the garage each session. All working seamlessly. Ive just been given a monitor with a bigger screen than my iPad so am I thinking of a more permanent set up. Leave the monitor in the garage and connect up to Zwift somehow. The somehow is my issue!!

What would be the easiest and cost effective way to do this? It wouldnt need anything else apart from linking to Zwift and my Wahoo kickr, cadence and HRM)
    Apple TV- download zwift on that then connect via HDMI to TV /monitor / projector . My set up . Wife put up with it for a week - its moving into the garage now On a 32 TV

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Apple TV- download zwift on that then connect via HDMI to TV /monitor / projector . My set up . Wife put up with it for a week - its moving into the garage now On a 32 TV

That's a great set up - does Apple TV involve a subscription, or can I just use it for Zwift?

Apple TV itself is just a player so the only monthly subscription will be zwift itself .

I had my set up completed with a Wahoo Kickr and bike but I couldnt help myself so changed the smart turbo trainer for a Wattbike, running with the Zwift App via the Apple TV i think its a great setup and only 12.99 per month for the Zwift membership...