closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LS3/5A ...magical speakers!

LS3/5A ...magical speakers!

Just taken them out the loft after being boxed up for the last 10yrs. I'd forgotten just how good these speakers are, absolutely magnificent! I'm going to get Falcon Acoustics to send me some new capacitors as an upgrade. I'll still keep the LS50'S and give them a rest for now.
    I'm using a REL sub on them to help the bass.😃

Rogers

I remember listening to these in a local radio station alongside some Spendor BC1’s many years ago.
    Very involving and detailed, but they don’t take prisoners or pretty up poor quality source or ancillaries.
    Interesting to know what you are driving them with?

Andy

Craftsman
    Used to be my preferred speaker for most outside broadcasts. Excellent for the size and weight!

Quote Originally Posted by BEZELBOY View Post
    I remember listening to these in a local radio station alongside some Spendor BC1’s many years ago.
    Very involving and detailed, but they don’t take prisoners or pretty up poor quality source or ancillaries.
    Interesting to know what you are driving them with?

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    Mainly a Marantz PM17ki Signature amplifier. Sometimes a Teac AX501E Class D amplifier.
    Last edited by Rod; 16th October 2020 at 20:56.

They were very popular amongst certain Beoworld forum members some years back. I remember the Beolab 4000 being recommended as an ideal amp for them.

Listening to my Lab 5s tonight which I lusted after for many years before I finally got them in 2017.

They really are magical. I have used Mangneplanar speakers for years. LS3/5a would be one of the very few box speakers I would consider.
    I remember hearing the Rogers variant at Thomas Hienz in Bayswater with the matching Rogers subwoofer (AB1 from memory). Phenomenal is all I can say given the size contraints.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I used to collect and restore vintage valve amplifiers, and remember exchanging a nice early example for a pair of LS3/5As at the Rogers factory in South London. I think they were keen to have some of their heritage back on site.

They're long gone now, sadly, (foolishly!) but I remember they sounded wonderful driven by a pair of Leak TL12.1 amps.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

I still kick myself for not buying a pair back in the day. Stacked LS3/5As FTW!

Craftsman
    Many years ago I was looking for some decent speakers and I didn't (still don't!) know much about high end equipment but was pointed in the direction of pair of these. They came with great recommendations but I could't get paste price and that they looked as if they had been knocked up in someones shed! So, being young a naive I purchased a pair of Rogers LS6a/2 speakers. I was pleased to purchase a British product and whilst they were too big physically for my small lounge I really liked them and kept them for over 20 years. Not in the same park as the LS3's, I appreciate, but I recently sold my Rogers for a measly £55!

I would say I have come close to buying a pair of LS3/5As at least 20 times in the past 20 years... I would like to buy new...

I listen to a lot of talk radio on Hi-Fi and I believe that a pair of LS3/5As would suit this.

This could be a rabbit hole question but whats the most faithful to the originals ? Harbeth, Falcon, Spendor, Rogers ?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I would say I have come close to buying a pair of LS3/5As at least 20 times in the past 20 years... I would like to buy new...

I listen to a lot of talk radio on Hi-Fi and I believe that a pair of LS3/5As would suit this.

This could be a rabbit hole question but whats the most faithful to the originals ? Harbeth, Falcon, Spendor, Rogers ?
    Mine are the original Rogers. Theoretically, they should all sound the same as they have to be made and confirm to the original BBC specs.
    Falcon Acoustics have built a new version and upgraded some components and claim an upgrade in sound.
    I've only heard the Rogers myself, but all are famous names in the British hifi industry. Expensive yes, but such amazing sound quality.

Today, I've just upgraded mine to the Falcon Gold versions. Swapped out the crossovers, 6 solder connections, and resealed.
    The difference is chalk and cheese! They were good before but I'm gobsmacked with the improvements.