closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some interesting details in this Art Loss Register Watch Register article

Master

Some interesting details in this Art Loss Register Watch Register article

I was directed to this today and think members may find some parts interesting :

https://www.artloss.com/2020/07/06/cila-article/

I have no vested interest in the ALR, but am a user and champion of their Watch Register.

Never need an excuse to repost this old one, too !

https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

H

This sounds like a facetious question but I’m genuinely interested as to whether the third category has much of a percentage in “lost, stolen and looted” items forming the basis of this work.

I’d presume it’s mostly pictures and precious metal, but do you have any data HM?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    This sounds like a facetious question but I’m genuinely interested as to whether the third category has much of a percentage in “lost, stolen and looted” items forming the basis of this work.

I’d presume it’s mostly pictures and precious metal, but do you have any data HM?
    Like you, perhaps, I don't believe looting will represent a great problem in the UK !

I'm not quite sure to what your second question is pointing, but they have some 70,000 watches listed on their Watch Register and in my experience it is now by far the leading resource which should be used by all.

H

Many thanks for the response. On the second part I was (unclearly) supposing that most looted lost art would be pictures &c...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I was directed to this today and think members may find some parts interesting :

https://www.artloss.com/2020/07/06/cila-article/

I have no vested interest in the ALR, but am a user and champion of their Watch Register.

Never need an excuse to repost this old one, too !

https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

H
    That bloke sold a mind boggling number of watches to the two big players named, a number of which later proved to be stolen. How does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Like you, perhaps, I don't believe looting will represent a great problem in the UK !

H
    I'm not so sure given the way things are -- and are heading.

I hope I'm wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That bloke sold a mind boggling number of watches to the two big players named, a number of which later proved to be stolen. How does that happen?
    He sold the two companies 535 watches and wasn't even registered for VAT. Come again ?

56 were identified as stolen but a reasonable observer could conclude that the true figure was probably much higher.

There is lots more i know about this case that I cannot repeat but PHOO-EY! I've never smelled anything more rotten.

Since his conviction I've always wondered whether the companies would have contacted their customers who had bought watches that came from Malick, or whether there are hundreds of unknowing owners out there with stolen / possibly stolen watches. If one had bought a watch in that time period and approached them now for reassurance, what would they say? Absence from registration in a database of watches that have been reported stolen does not prove a watch has NOT been stolen, while the fact it has been supplied by a convicted and prolific fence might make it highly possible / probable.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 18th October 2020 at 23:44.