closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SD43 v Subs

SD43 v Subs

Ok..... I have seen a post regarding a swap for a SD43 for a GMT with cash offered too make up any potential shortfall from the SD side..... is this where pricing is at the moment.

I personally have the SD43 50 and would like too have thought that this had a market increase..... thoughts please.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by wainy001; 16th October 2020 at 10:20. Reason: GMT not SUB

Master
    I may not have posted that well. I am expecting that some GMTs value would be under and indeed some would be over, there are so many out there, so I have a little bit of cash to help if required.

Having been on the hunt for a new Rolex for the last few weeks, I have found the prices on the 2 were roughly the same.
    Although, in my opinion, the pricing on the GMTs can tend toward the high side more often by a grand or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wainy001 View Post
    Ok..... I have seen a post regarding a swap for a SD43 for a GMT with cash offered too make up any potential shortfall from the SD side..... is this where pricing is at the moment.

I personally have the SD43 50 and would like too have thought that this had a market increase..... thoughts please.

Decent indicator is what someone like Watchfinder sell them at
    Gives you an idea of which ones will sell for more. The difference may be more magnified with WF excessive pricing but the principal will stand.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I may not have posted that well. I am expecting that some GMTs value would be under and indeed some would be over, there are so many out there, so I have a little bit of cash to help if required.
    Oh I’m not thinking that you did I was just trying too gauge where we are at the moment..... obv the root beer etc are well higher priced over the standard SS

Oh I’m not thinking that you did I was just trying too gauge where we are at the moment..... obv the root beer etc are well higher priced over the standard SS

Depends what you are comparing of course. A new BLRO GMT will sell second hand for about £3k to £4k more second hand over a SD43 in dealers shops. Nearer to £2k difference on SC.

However, if you factor in a whole range of GMTs out there, 4, 5 and 6 digit references, it very much depends what you are comparing. Some will be more expensive than the SD43 and others will be cheaper.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sd43 is nowhere near as far over RRP as the GMT's.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This.

Assuming all same near new condition, roughly they are in this region right? The sd43 is iro of 11 and the GMT blnr is 12 and the blro c-Pepsi is 14. Five digit GMT’s. Are anywhere from 7 upwards
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 16th October 2020 at 13:20.

You bought the wrong model if you're looking for good returns. I have many sports Rolex and I'm expecting my SD43 and Explorer 2019 to be the worst returners - but then that's not why I buy them.

SD43 v Subs

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Much prefer the SD43 than any of the GMTc range. Can’not understand their stratospheric price rise.

WF have loads of GMTs and only 2 SD43
    Stay elite. Keep the SD

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 16th October 2020 at 14:33.

Sooooio the SD43 50 ltd still not premium then no?

Not as sought after no. Mainly because of size, while everyone can pull off a GMT, quite a few find the SD43 is too big. This goes the same for the Deepsea, with the exception of the Cameron, which is in demand as Rolex produce fewer of them.

A premium yes, but low down in the pecking order behind the likes of the steel Daytonas and GMTs. If you can pick up an SD43 at list price there is still a bit of money to be made for a quick sale - if that floats your boat.

It’s still a free watch with maybe a holiday in it if ever you have to sell it (or can’t find the money for that holiday). What are they now £9.3 or £9.7? Maybe a dirty weekend in Brighton with a few trimmings....it’s a rarely seen watch tbh and I love them. Typically sell for around £10.5-£11k

SD43 is worth approx 1k more than the RRP for a private sale. Many of the watches are all worth the same it's just the RRP that is different. This is part of the reason why GMTs are so in demand - relatively low RRP and still worth £10-14k on the second market depending on LN, BLNR, BLRO.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You bought the wrong model if you're looking for good returns. I have many sports Rolex and I'm expecting my SD43 and Explorer 2019 to be the worst returners - but then that's not why I buy them.
    I also buy the watch I like the most (SD43) but don't understand why the price appreciation on these is not higher. People talk about the size and weight being the reason - but I doubt many of those commenting have ever tried one on. To me, it is the perfect size and has a presence that Submariners/GMT's don't. That is just my opinion though and I realise I am probably in the minority.
    Last edited by kostal2093; 16th October 2020 at 20:49.

Master
    Strange isn’t it. The SD43 sells, used, for about £1000 above retail, thus offering many buyers a ‘free’ watch. And yet this is seen by some as not enough .
    Great watch by the way; one of the best in the line-up. But the obsession with price drags everything down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But the obsession with price drags everything down.
    agreed. Very vulgar and tedious.

Master
    I feel the SD43 will be a classic one day. If you are a daily sub wearer, then it may take a couple of days of constant wear to get used to it. But the propotions are better than the 11 series sub and you will find that the new norm is to have a bigger and wider bracelet and a bigger and wider clasp...just ask the 12 series sub!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kostal2093 View Post
    I also buy the watch I like the most (SD43) but don't understand why the price appreciation on these is not higher. People talk about the size and weight being the reason - but I doubt many of those commenting have ever tried one on. To me, it is the perfect size and has a presence that Submariners/GMT's don't. That is just my opinion though and I realise I am probably in the minority.
    I loved the size as i find the 40mm subs too small but it is too tall/deep for most people including me...had it six months and whatever i tried to get the right balance the watch didn't work...i have a 42mm Explorer which fits like a glove.

Yes i made a little on the price i bought it for but there are a lot of them on Chrono 24/ebay and they are struggling to fetch more than 10.5k...the problem being is everyone thought they were going to be a limited run and values would rocket when in fact they seem to be softening.

Also they are not really that hard to get hold of at RRP if you have a friendly dealer.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=mjc1216;5559448]I loved the size as i find the 40mm subs too small but it is too tall/deep for most people including me...had it six months and whatever i tried to get the right balance the watch didn't work...i have a 42mm Explorer which fits like a glove.

Yes i made a little on the price i bought it for but there are a lot of them on Chrono 24/ebay and they are struggling to fetch more than 10.5k...the problem being is everyone thought they were going to be a limited run and values would rocket when in fact they seem to be softening.

Also they are not really that hard to get hold of at RRP if you have a friendly dealer.

Some find removing the extendable link helps to make the watch more balanced/comfortable to wear. I removed mine and it does make a difference. As with all Rolex SS models, they still seem difficult to obtain from AD's - I see Watchfinder have sold quite a few of them of late at inflated prices which would suggests there is still excess demand in the marketplace for the SD43. As someone mentioned earlier, it is pitiful when demand is dictated by sell on prices and premiums rather than on the merits of the watch itself. Personally, I think it is the best model in the Rolex range and totally underrated.

Master
    As with all Rolex SS models, they still seem difficult to obtain from AD's
    Master of understatement! I put my name on the “interest” list when it (SD43) came out and I’m still waiting for the mythical call. (Although having seen and tried one, it’s not actually for me even as an SD fan boy).

I'm with you on that. It definitely has a nice presence and more comfortable than the smaller but more top-heavy 16600. You won't lose money.

Well I absolutely love mine and prefer wearing it over the ceramic daytona every day and it even has a date...... Daytona’s are for girls

Craftsman
    I think the value proposition across the Rolex divers has gone quite mad. It isn’t just the SD43 versus Submariners. The SD4K seems to have taken on a silly price too, in fact they look to Conan a higher premium than the 43 also.

I don’t see it myself, pound for pound, this is just market demand and nothing more. In no rational world can anyone argue that a modern Submariner of any faith or colour is worth more than the equivalent Sea Dweller. It’s insanity.

You could almost trade a Sub for an SD based on today’s values.

It would certainly be interesting if we called a truce to discussing the financial aspect of every Rolex that gets a mention on here and I for one would certainly be up for that, although it is a subject that everyone does have an opinion on.

Talking watches then, when the SD43 came out the increase to 43mm seemed possibly a step too far for me and I have never been a fan of the dreaded cyclops, but over the past two years or so I have warmed to the watch and would certainly wear one now. I am also in a minority in liking the TT version, don't think anyone on here has one. It seems strange that people have owned the GMT and the Sub versions, yet not the SD. I know there is a purist arguement that professional dive watches should be in SS and nothing else and that makes sense, but as we know many Rolex never go near the water and the company are supplying a demand to the wider audience. Perhaps a full yellow gold version with a diamond dot dial is taking things too far, but I still like the TT version

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    The SD4K seems to have taken on a silly price too, in fact they look to Conan a higher premium than the 43 also.
    As you say, it’s all about demand but presumably by now the SD4K will be numerically rarer than the SD43 so you can argue some logic.

I’m as guilty as anyone of discussing Rolex demand and pricing. It’s more exasperation and disbelief at prices and ‘disappointment’ at what (was) an interesting hobby has become.

It’s a great little hobby..... surely when buying RRP then seeing your massive increase from the comfort of home gives a deal of satisfaction even though your never gonna sell and only pass on to the kids.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It would certainly be interesting if we called a truce to discussing the financial aspect of every Rolex that gets a mention on here and I for one would certainly be up for that, although it is a subject that everyone does have an opinion on.

Talking watches then, when the SD43 came out the increase to 43mm seemed possibly a step too far for me and I have never been a fan of the dreaded cyclops, but over the past two years or so I have warmed to the watch and would certainly wear one now. I am also in a minority in liking the TT version, don't think anyone on here has one. It seems strange that people have owned the GMT and the Sub versions, yet not the SD. I know there is a purist arguement that professional dive watches should be in SS and nothing else and that makes sense, but as we know many Rolex never go near the water and the company are supplying a demand to the wider audience. Perhaps a full yellow gold version with a diamond dot dial is taking things too far, but I still like the TT version
    You are in the minority but I am with you. Although the steel SD43 is fantastic, I do have the steel and gold. Agree, maybe not one for the purists...

Like the two tone SD43 as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    As you say, it’s all about demand but presumably by now the SD4K will be numerically rarer than the SD43 so you can argue some logic.

I’m as guilty as anyone of discussing Rolex demand and pricing. It’s more exasperation and disbelief at prices and ‘disappointment’ at what (was) an interesting hobby has become.

I lament being priced out of so many great models by speculators. My Submariner sells for over ten grand in some places, that fantastic SD4K for over thirteen.

It makes me a little uncomfortable to have what some may perceive as a ten grand watch on my wrist. More so that my grail is a twelve to thirteen grand watch.

But I share your sentiment. I want to talk about the fun aspects of it... we all need more of them for that to be more regular.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    You are in the minority but I am with you. Although the steel SD43 is fantastic, I do have the steel and gold. Agree, maybe not one for the purists...

I love the variety of the hobby and I love that we all like such different things. I can relate to you liking that, I like a few ‘non-purist’ watches but watches are like life... to me, that thing is a gold tinged monstrosity - it’s an oxymoron in motion, but you loved it enough to buy it.

No sarcasm and in the least patronising way, I absolutely love that. Our taste is so very close, yet so very far apart... makes all of this superb.

I think the cyclops offend my puritanical nature too, but it’s great that the watch and therefore the choice exists.

For all the horror it gives me, I sincerely hope you love it equally.

If you are really lucky, you may get one of the rarer SD43 Dinged versions.
    I was fortunate enough to pick one of them up yesterday...

Stunning watch either way - with or without dings.
    Far prefer over an GMT

Master
    I really like the SD43, the size, heft, red text, ceramic, adjustable bracelet all work really well.
    Only niggle is the case back. If it was flatter it would really be a lot more comfortable

Master
    Goldsmiths have one up a two tone up for sale as a preowned for the list price

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Pre+Own...03/p/40510633/

they have had some pretty reasonable priced used rolex watches for sale recently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

I love that and purist normally means old fuddy Duddy stuck in t’old days lad