closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Poor memory and confusion

Poor memory and confusion

No, not me.

Although I forgive you jumping to conclusions based on my posts.

A relative has become increasingly confused in the last year or so. He has poor hearing which is being addressed. But also, he is being assessed for his overall condition.

Is there anything that can help in terms of changes that the family can help with? We are pressing for him to have hearing aids which apparently can be contributory to a degradation of memory (as well as being a source of confusion of course). I was thinking whether I could help to pay for the best hearing aids etc.

But perhaps exercise and diet can support any medical diagnosis which will be forthcoming?

Sorry. I know this is a difficult subject and I have not phrased it well. I don't really know much at this stage. He's in his late 70s and has been active all of his life.

What kind of memory - is he becoming absent minded with short term memory loss (why did I come upstairs again? Or where did I put my keys?) or is it more long term memory like forgetting names?

I think I’d wait on assesment from the professionals but in the interim little things like a wall calendar with times and events marked in it can help, also sonic key finders etc. these are small things but medical appraisal is def the first port of call. Wishing for the best
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 16th October 2020 at 10:59.

Master
    I suffer from long and short term memory loss but this is down to my mental health issue's that I have.

I was diagnosed with noise induced deafness a few years ago and have the hearing of a 75 year old person and I'm only 54. I now wear the inner ear device in each ear, which are fantastic and have made my life so much better and they are very discreet.

If your friend is ex military ( like me ) the Royal British Legion have an Hearing Fund which he can apply for. The cost of my new ears was the princely sum of £1800 which may seem a lot, but it's well worth him getting them.

For him to obtain a real diagnosis in relation to him memory loss, your friend needs to seek professional advice before going forward.

I hope he gets things sorted.

Adequate hearing is absolutely key, if it can be helped.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks all.

Rusty, it's the first type of confusion rather than the second. He does forget names but isn't too bad. It's the repetition of simple commands and lack of confidence.

Maddog, sorry to hear you've had to go through that. He isn't ex-mil but it would be great to hear what new ears you went for.

SJ, yep will push on this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks all.

Rusty, it's the first type of confusion rather than the second. He does forget names but isn't too bad. It's the repetition of simple commands and lack of confidence.

Maddog, sorry to hear you've had to go through that. He isn't ex-mil but it would be great to hear what new ears you went for.

To avoid need for repetition write things down. Not having to constantly ask will improve his confidence also I’d have thought.

Good idea, will get some useful reminder stuff today.

Good idea, will get some useful reminder stuff today.
    Daily todo list pads - wall calendar - post it’s etc all good

But also if he’s like my mum (she’s asked me at least 20 times how to add photos to an email) then for tasks like that a ‘how to’ sheet is great
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 16th October 2020 at 12:34.

Right, yes. I can already think of a few that would be helpful. Thanks.

Regarding notes: be tactful.

If it's just a simple confusion, directly related to bad hearing and the lack of audible feedback from his environment that can induce the confusion it's a good idea.

If it's an early onset of dementia, I'll just say this: my mother died with dementia. She was the brain of the family, went to Cambridge University, etc. When dementia had set in completely, she was a happy lady because her good nature shone through, as she had no retention at all so was greeting everyone throughout the day as it was the first time, with a bright (and obviously genuine) smile.

But when my sister and I cleared her flat after her passing, we found hundreds of scribbled notes, full of the informations she did not want to forget, and repeated endlessly note after note as she was not remembering she had already written it down, nor where it was. It was heart wrenching.

Blog Entries
    I vaguely remember a thread here about dementia-like symptoms. Ultimately, I think, it turned out to be something related to a lack of certain nutrition or vitamins. I'm sure an other member here can recall it better than I do. Worth checking that thread!

Menno

Thanks Menno, will do.

SJ, that is heartbreaking. And some of it seems to be a portent.

Master
    Thanks all.

My new ears are the one's that can hear a fly fart a 100 metres away.

My ear drums took a beating in Vietnam and I lost a lot of higher frequency response. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs supplies me with tiny hearing aids that fit in the ear canal. They're virtually invisible, and they work great! I was told they would normally cost $6-7,000. I think the brand is Phonak.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Menno, will do.

SJ, that is heartbreaking. And some of it seems to be a portent.
    It's this thread: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=dementia Very interesting reading, especially posting #29 and beyond. I'm not a doctor etc but that whole thread can give you hope!

(It looks like my memory is still working. As I've said here before: my biggest fear is being caught by the dementia demon. My grandmother, my father -who became 88- and his sister, my aunt, 96, all had dementia before they passed away. On the other hand, my father's remaining three brothers, now all in their 90s are still sharp as razors).

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th October 2020 at 22:00.

I lost my father to Alzheimers. Dementia is a terrible thing. As soon as there's any indication that things might be going in that direction for your relative, ask him to make a lasting power of attorney. https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

^Thanks Menno and HT, just noticed this.

Will ensure that's done.

On a tangential note, can anyone recommend something easy I can buy that would allow him to hear phone calls more easily?

Bluetooth speakers won't really be poss as too challenging to set up, ensure they're on, charged etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My ear drums took a beating in Vietnam and I lost a lot of higher frequency response. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs supplies me with tiny hearing aids that fit in the ear canal. They're virtually invisible, and they work great! I was told they would normally cost $6-7,000. I think the brand is Phonak.
    Thanks PC. Good to have a recommendation.

I've no personal experience of Chatable, but if it does what it says on the tin it might be worth a try.

https://chatableapps.com
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thanks M, looks good.

Another possible cause of confusion and poor memory is low oxygen saturation. My mother was on supplemental oxygen due to emphysema, and when her saturation decreased below about 90%, she would seem confused and befuddled.

That is useful to know.

I will explore this with the GP. Many thanks.

Blog Entries
    My wife is a (retired) nutritional therapist. If it’s ok I’ll ask her if there are any food / supplements that can be beneficial to memory.

From my own experiences - I know exercise outside in the fresh air - even a walk - helps mood and the mind - especially at this time of year, and good quality sleep - both aid general well being and cognitive function.

Foods rich in Omega3 fats help the brain - so oily fish, free range eggs, green leafy veg etc and a general home made food type diet (not processed foods). Go easy on the booze and sweets - but don’t stress so if he like a tot of whiskey well why not! Having a positive mental attitude can generally help the mind condition.

Apparently the brain uses something like 60% of the calories of our resting rate, maybe 20% of our total calories - so make sure he is eating enough and good quality foods (as above).

Good luck.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd December 2020 at 17:49.

Thanks Martyn that is really helpful.

I'll share that with the family.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 22nd December 2020 at 17:48.

Well, things are going rapidly downhill.

He no longer recognises visitors at night although during the day is still OK. Hallucinations have begun. We're waiting on a diagnosis.

Really sorry to hear that. Lots of assistance exists. Make sure you use everything available

Well, things are going rapidly downhill.

He no longer recognises visitors at night although during the day is still OK. Hallucinations have begun. We're waiting on a diagnosis.
    Is he drinking plenty of water ?

Most older people don't drink enough water and dehydrate, which causes urine infection which leads to confusion and short term memory problems.
    My mother was frcenrlt admitted to hospital and then into a care home for assessment, all brought on by a urinary infection caused by not drinking enough water.

My father died in 1997 after suffering from Alzheimers for 9 years. I can see the same early signs in my mum, but then she is 89, a lot of people don't reach anywhere near that age and up until now has been as sharp as a pin. .

Apprentice
    My wife is now in care home, she hasn't really recognised me or known where she lives for over two years.
    Best advice from my experience is to use the services of the Alzheimers Society though I suspect their activities are much limited at the moment. Sadly there is no cure but I found their support during my wife's decline from an active intelligent woman to an aggressive stranger very valuable

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Really sorry to hear that. Lots of assistance exists. Make sure you use everything available
    Thanks Rusty
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Is he drinking plenty of water ?

Most older people don't drink enough water and dehydrate, which causes urine infection which leads to confusion and short term memory problems.
    My mother was frcenrlt admitted to hospital and then into a care home for assessment, all brought on by a urinary infection caused by not drinking enough water.

My father died in 1997 after suffering from Alzheimers for 9 years. I can see the same early signs in my mum, but then she is 89, a lot of people don't reach anywhere near that age and up until now has been as sharp as a pin. .
    I will check regarding dehydration as we still aren't clear. Your post will be very useful for the next conversation with the rest of the family.

Sorry to hear about your Father and I hope your Mother is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-T View Post
    My wife is now in care home, she hasn't really recognised me or known where she lives for over two years.
    Best advice from my experience is to use the services of the Alzheimers Society though I suspect their activities are much limited at the moment. Sadly there is no cure but I found their support during my wife's decline from an active intelligent woman to an aggressive stranger very valuable
    So sorry to hear this. I will speak with the AS again in more detail tomorrow, as the journey your wife has taken seems to be one we may be destined to take.

Master
    Sorry to hear this
    My mum passed just over a year ago following a relatively short time (a couple of years)suffering with lewybodies dementia
    My thoughts are with you- near the end she rapidly went down hill over a 6 month period.
    I had previously moved home following a marriage split- thankfully I got to spend some extra time with my mum in her last months

So sorry to hear that lewie.

I have seen that form of dementia discussed on the AS website. It is something I need to research. It must have been so difficult to manage after a divorce as well. Very glad you had extra time with your Mother though.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 11th January 2021 at 06:44.

So I'm not going to get back the $20 I lent you?

Memory could be attributed to the hearing problem. If you don't hear. How do you know what to answer

Some won't use them as it makes them look old or frail. My mother had Costco Kirkland brand. Sits behind the ears with a clear tube. Flesh tone color and barely seen.

Price with charger and remote volume control was about $800

Other choice, but higher priced is the inthe ear or smaller in the canal model

DON

My BIL became confused (hallucinating even) recently and hospital deduced probably due to low sodium levels.

Since caught Covid there but that’s another story...

Master
    So sorry to hear that lewie.

I have seen that form of dementia discussed on the AS website. It is something I need to research. It must have been so difficult to manage after a divorce as well. Very glad you had extra time with your Mother though.
    Thank you
    It’s linked with Parkinson’s which my mum was diagnosed with a year or 2 earlier

My dad had parkinsons and the last thing he ever was was confused and memory issues - he had a better memory than I have now

My mother on the other hand started having memory issues and confusion - we thought it was some form of dementia
    but a few scans showed it was hydrocephalus which can cause similar symptoms to dementia

also low grade infection somewhere can cause memory and confusion issues - also thyroid imbalance

^Thank you, esp. re: infection issues.

I'm hoping this weekend will allow me time to digest all the comments.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    My wife is a (retired) nutritional therapist. If it’s ok I’ll ask her if there are any food / supplements that can be beneficial to memory.

From my own experiences - I know exercise outside in the fresh air - even a walk - helps mood and the mind - especially at this time of year, and good quality sleep - both aid general well being and cognitive function.

Foods rich in Omega3 fats help the brain - so oily fish, free range eggs, green leafy veg etc and a general home made food type diet (not processed foods). Go easy on the booze and sweets - but don’t stress so if he like a tot of whiskey well why not! Having a positive mental attitude can generally help the mind condition.
    I have to deal with my complaints every time. I take everything to heart, thus I frequently take offense at a guy. And there is like a wall between us because we are so hurt by one another. I then started looking for advice on how to deal with my fears and stonewalling. I wished to preserve my affection. I was shocked by how effective therapy https://www.australiacounselling.com...-relationship/ was in the end, so I simply went with it. thus be sure to resolve any issues you may have.
    Apparently the brain uses something like 60% of the calories of our resting rate, maybe 20% of our total calories - so make sure he is eating enough and good quality foods (as above).

Good luck.

Martyn
    Well, it's a multifaceted issue, not everything depends on calories.
    Last edited by bobocat; 31st March 2023 at 06:58.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Good luck.

Martyn
    Quote Originally Posted by bobocat View Post
    Well, it's a multifaceted issue, not everything depends on calories.
    Seeing as you resurrected this. I am requoting my reply (somehow you cut some other comments in the middle?). I agree not everything depends on calories - as you can see from my reply - I hope.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Did the OP's relative ever receive a "final" diagnosis?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Did the OP's relative ever receive a "final" diagnosis?
    Did Bobcat ever reply to a active thread rather than resurrecting zombie threads…

Master
    Slightly off topic but for goodness sake do not think that your brain will remain sharp forever. In my younger days I was often described as a computer on legs. I was fortunate that nature had gifted me with a sharp brain and I could remember the slightest detail of contracts that I had signed off years ago when other people struggled to remember even if a contract had existed.

I am now 74 and I can still remember the details of these contracts, who signed them off and their phone numbers etc right back the 1980s but I am now having difficulties in remembering if I took some pills just 10 minutes ago. Also I will walk out of a room and forget whether I switched the lights off or not. So I am nowhere near as sharp as I once was. Also I do not like confrontation any more, in my younger days I was genuinely worse than Piers Morgan but now I just walk away from arguments.

I was once told by a Doctor that if you are aware of these deficiencies then there is little to worry about but if you are unaware of these problems, then you do have problems.

My wife had a good memory up until she had a stroke. She is recovering slowly but surely in a physical sense but her short term memory is shot. We are going out for lunch at 1.00pm today and she will keep asking what time we are going out despite me reminding her a dozen times but she will remember the meal in great detail afterwards.

I certainly take the point of appointing someone for power of attorney.

We were however fortunate that none of my parents or in-laws ever suffered from the condition and that can cause complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I was once told by a Doctor that if you are aware of these deficiencies then there is little to worry about but if you are unaware of these problems, then you do have problems.
    This may have been the case at the time but I believe the attitude is different, aside for the truism.
    The reason you will still hear it is because while you may worry all you like, there is very little you can do to stop the problem. Terrible disease.
    When we cleared my mother's flat we found countless bits of paper where she would scribble things she did not want to forget, like our names and her grandchildren's. Heartbreaking.