closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Desktop hifi

Desktop hifi

I am interested in upgrading the sound from my PC. My current setup is USB from the PC into a Topping TP30 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-Cla.../dp/B00898T0MY), feeding a pair of Mission 7 surround sound speakers (which are superficially similar to the current Mission QX-1). The speakers sit directly on the desk top.

This will be used for all sources (mp3, YouTube, Amazon Music etc.), and it doesn't need to have streaming.

Budget is ideally less than £500. Suggestions please ...

If you're using your PC as the only source and you don't need more connectivity, I'd try out some active near-field monitors.
    Should be plenty to choose from within your budget.

I hadn't considered those. It seems that many have balanced (XLR) inputs. How would I convert from USB? Would I need a DAC?

Craftsman
    You can connect your Topping TP30 to the XLR connections on a set of powered desktop monitors with a cable like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR.../dp/B001VLW398

Its a good suggestion, because the DAC and preamp of the Topping TP30 is pretty good, its the amp section that is often inadequate. Powered monitors would have their own amp.

My TP30 has binding posts, so I don't think RCA connectors would work?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    My TP30 has binding posts, so I don't think RCA connectors would work?
    The front has a 1/8" stereo output of very good quality. Adapters for this to RCA are very common.

Journeyman
    The Audioengine A5+ are really good. Powered, so need for amp.

https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-acc...-a5+--p1067392

If you want to stretch your budget, the Audioengine HD6 are also quite good.

https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-acc...-hd6--p3750648

I like them because they're made of wood, and have nice retro design. Comes in several finishes.

Reviews:

https://aphnetworks.com/reviews/audioengine-hd6

Craftsman
    I use Ruark MR1 speakers on my computer and find them very good.

https://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/...speaker-system

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

you say you are using usb ? is this a laptop? if not how come you are not using a dedicated sound card ? i use a creative labs soundcard and 5-1 speakers + sub , ive removed the centre speaker and use foobar player with the dsp set to convert stereo to 4 channels , at lower levels this sounds just as good (if not better) than my main naim system (for about a quater of the price)

*the TP30 is a great little amp i have one myself for a backup of my main system

Thanks for all the replies, but I think I'm more confused than I was before.

I think the simplest suggested solution is the Audioengine A5+ (or A2+ or HD3) speakers, which I can plug directly into my PC (using USG or 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable as appropriate) and use the speaker's onboard DAC. Is any combination of DAC/amp/speaker comdination likely to sound significantly better for the same money?

I haven't had a discrete soundcard for about 20 years, and simply hadn't considered one. I'd prefer something external though.

when using a computer you should not need a dac if you are using active speakers, the software you are using on the computer does the decoding (tbh im a bit confused what you are trying to do ) .

for instance i have 2 systems in my front room >

my main desptop pc is connected direct to my main LCD tv (which i use as a monitor ) - this uses a sound card which outputs directly to my creative labs powered speakers

my 'hifi' uses a netbook (all my albums are converted to flac ) this netbook outputs to a DAC and from the DAC to my naim amp (via phono)

the naim system needs the DAC as the amp has no decoder or usb inputs , the PC setup uses powered speakers and does not need a DAC as the PC does any conversion that it needs and outputs directly to the speakers.

*theres lots of ways to push music from a pc to an external amp , the easiest way is to get an amp with a built in DAC and connect it up or to use a wireless DAC (i use an arcam iRdac) and pair it with you pc.
    Last edited by pugster; 19th October 2020 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    when using a computer you should not need a dac if you are using active speakers, the software you are using on the computer does the decoding (tbh im a bit confused what you are trying to do ) .
    I'm probably a bit confused as well, but my starting supposition is that an external DAC is superior to the PC's built in DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm probably a bit confused as well, but my starting supposition is that an external DAC is superior to the PC's built in DAC.
    my thinking is that a DAC either converts or it doesnt as far as digital audio is concerned , the only reason ppl get external DAC's these days is becuase they are using an amp without the imputs or the internal pc is making too much 'noise'
    your main upgrades are going to be your amp and speakers (or just powered speakers)

Journeyman
    I was researching Amps and DACs the other day. I eventually stopped, when I couldn't make the value for money justification work for the sound improvement.

I think the things that will make the most improvement to your listening experience are good speakers and good headphones.

I upgraded from the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x to the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm so I don't need an amp.

I'm using the Audioengine HD6 and using optical cables, so it's a digital signal from the computer to the powered speakers.

If your gear gets too good, you'll start worrying about how your room is acoustically treated. Then you'll become an audiophile and that's another expensive rabbit hole of a hobby to go down!

The simplest solution is indeed powered speakers, and easy to drive headphones.

Considering the sources you list, I would say any mid-range pair of active speakers will be plenty good enough. The Audioengine options listed are a prime example.

The source material isn't good enough to justify a huge amount more, nor a huge amount of effort in comparing different DAC's. You're listening to compressed music or music embedded in videos, so you won't hear the value. You'll hear the difference in tone and range when comparing a sub-£50 pair of speakers to something like the Audioengine options, but above that your money is going into areas you just won't benefit from if the detail isn't in the source.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. Like some others, I came to the conclusion that most of these things at a set price point sound broadly the same, and without doing A/B comparisons, any of them will sound decent enough. Researching something like this throws up an exhausting amount of information, with lots of very similar products differentiated by small feature differences.

Anyway, for better or worse, I ended up choosing a Topping DX3 and a pair of Kanto YU speakers.

Journeyman
    They look like good choices, and good on you for being decisive. As soon as you decided, you can now enjoy the music and move on with your life