closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Oris Caliber 400

Journeyman

New Oris Caliber 400

I saw this news about Oris and thought it was interesting:

Introducing: The New In-House Oris Caliber 400 https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/or...se-caliber-400

Oris has developed a new anti-magnetic in-house movement for their watches with 120 hour power reserve and ten year warranty as standard. It sounds like a great offering from an often under-appreciated house. It will be interesting to see what the pricing will look like (apparently they will continue using outsourced movements for their more entry-level watches).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Interesting, thanks for posting (Oris being close to my heart as my first connection with mechanical watches - I still miss FoOF). Not only a 10yr warranty, but also a 10yr service interval. And about 20% smaller than the previous Cal 110. I look forward to seeing their future offerings. [The author must be on some sort of psychedelics, to see a bear (eyes and ears, I grant you, but a bear?)...]

Journeyman
    Yes, I was struggling a bit with that, too! Took me a minute to see it...The bear doesn't exactly jump out at you. :-P

I like Oris a lot and am excited for them. Will be great to see their future releases that take advantage of this movement.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    [The author must be on some sort of psychedelics, to see a bear (eyes and ears, I grant you, but a bear?)...]

Master
    Very impressive. Omega only manage 70 hours out of their 2 main string offerings. The only downer is the crappy clip they use to hold on the rotor. That smacks of the low rent solutions used in the Lemania 5100 family. I wonder where the money came from, Have Oris got a big industry backer? it can't have been cheap to develop that.

Craftsman
    I'm a fan of Oris, and pleased to see them doing something bold and innovative like this. Hope the movement will prove reliable and stable.

It will inevitably be out of my price range, but I'm still very encouraged to see new mechanical movements, and steps forward in the engineering thereof being made, in the hopes that such technology will eventually trickle down into watches which are in my price range.

Also I can definitely see the bear!

Journeyman
    Great that new in house movements are being developed, I am looking forward to seeing the watches Oris put out with this movement in it.

Craftsman
    I hadn't paid much attention to Oris trailing a new in-house automatic, fearing it was something to slip into existing watches, tick the in-house box and up prices.

It looks like they've done some real thinking and gone for more than the basics though. A long enough power reserve rotate easily, long service intervals etc sound good.

It's got me looking forward to what watches they come up with for it...

Hoping for a classic looking, backbone of a collection type watch (light diver, bracelet but swappable to rubber)?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I am a big fan of Oris, and I am very impressed by this new movement. I currently own Oris Diver 65. And if this kind of watch will have the new movement it could be one of the hottest candidate for purchase.
    Have anyone seen the VR tour in to the new movement already?

Looking at their social media feed, an announcement due tomorrow, looks to possible be the in house movement in the an Acquis

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Looking at their social media feed, an announcement due tomorrow, looks to possible be the in house movement in the an Acquis
    It’s almost certainly an Aquis based on the feeds. That’s tomorrow lunchtime’s watch ogling sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    It’s almost certainly an Aquis based on the feeds. That’s tomorrow lunchtime’s watch ogling sorted!

I for one are hoping the retro looking divers 65 with numerals (which I think has just been discontinued) will receive the movement at some stage.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to seeing the price on this! Definitely one to watch out for tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Very interesting, i want to see how much they will increase the price!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    £2700, might be some competition for bb58?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    I think it is against some tough competition at that price point. To me a Tudor black bay would be preferable

Looks very nice. At 25% off it would be a strong contender for a purchase

A winner on all counts- looks, movement, price, quality and VFM
    A big thumbs up 👍👍

Craftsman
    Adrian on the Bark and Jack channel seems to rather like Oris for the moment, some of it is rubbing off on me. I rather like some of their divers, they have a harsh toolishness that I like. He did a video today that may be worth a gander....

https://youtu.be/J3r3-OHqjs4

Let's hope it is not one of those watches made of unobtainium in the UK.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of some of our resident watchmakers on the use of the rotor friction clip.

Is it your experience that rotor ballbearings are a common source of trouble/failure?