closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling on the blockchain

Breitling on the blockchain

I don't see this posted elsewhere.

https://www.coindesk.com/breitling-a...tches-ethereum

As a fan of blockchain/ledger developments (and yes Breitling), this move makes a lot of sense.

Read it. Didn’t understand it .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Read it. Didn’t understand it .

Simon

For our purposes - it's a big spreadsheet that everyone has ownership of and view of - therefore it will be much more difficult to palm someone off with a fake - because you would be able to trace the ownership back to the factory.

There were a few papers on doing this a couple of years ago and so I'm surprised it has taken this amount of time to happen.

Didn't really get it either.

Does it just mean that the watch's certificate of authenticity is kept on a blockchain so you can trace back it's history and ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Didn't really get it either.

Does it just mean that the watch's certificate of authenticity is kept on a blockchain so you can trace back it's history and ownership?
    Basically yes.

Craftsman
    I think this is a great idea if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I don't see this posted elsewhere.

https://www.coindesk.com/breitling-a...tches-ethereum

As a fan of blockchain/ledger developments (and yes Breitling), this move makes a lot of sense.

Journeyman
    Presumably the blockchain will link to the watch's serial number? But not include the actual name/details of each previous owner? If that's the case, it would be good for establishing the service history/age etc of a watch. But maybe not so good against fakes, since a fake could just copy a "real" serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by animaal View Post
    Presumably the blockchain will link to the watch's serial number? But not include the actual name/details of each previous owner? If that's the case, it would be good for establishing the service history/age etc of a watch. But maybe not so good against fakes, since a fake could just copy a "real" serial number?

if I understand it correctly - you only see as far as the current owner (I guess the maker can see it all?) via their wallet ID - the wallet is their identity.

So if someone copies a serial number it's no good because they cannot verify ownership on the blockchain or transfer the digital ownership certificate. Also if it gets nicked, you can 'flag' the certificate so makes it difficult to sell...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 15th October 2020 at 16:00.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    if I understand it correctly - you only see as far as the current owner (I guess the maker can see it all?) via their wallet ID - the wallet is their identity.

So if someone copies a serial number it's no good because they cannot verify ownership on the blockchain or transfer the digital ownership certificate. Also if it gets nicked, you can 'flag' the certificate so makes it difficult to sell...
    Thanks, that makes more sense. And makes it potentially more useful too.

Master
    Downloading the blockchain will take along time, possibly days when you do it for the first time.

The benefit will be that you see the entire history of the watch. This cousin be from the when the dealer sold it or the first buyer or the name of the village elder that approved extraction of the mineral that were processed to make it, or right the way to checking the batteries are disposed of by an approved company.

Each sale, service or pull of the emergency pin could be uploaded into an irrefutable log that anyone can integrate and rely upon.

Craftsman
    Nice idea but seems a bit fraught with issues unless Breitling manages the whole process, in which case why bother with blockchain. Of course the answer is “marketing”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Nice idea but seems a bit fraught with issues unless Breitling manages the whole process, in which case why bother with blockchain. Of course the answer is “marketing”.
    Possibly the opposite as potentially more trust from an open secure and distributed ledger.

Master
    If anyone would like a copy of the blockchain for idiots pdf PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    they do - all the end consumer worries about is their e-wallet - its a new use for watches but has been used for other collectables without problems for a few years now.

Journeyman
    By the way, I can advise everyone with an interest in blockchain that you can now track the rise and fall of cryptocurrencies in real time. Here, I discovered an ICOholder that I could follow. I also gained a great deal of knowledge regarding cryptocurrencies, thus I am now aware that there is no issue. I hope I may be of use to you; I believe it will be beneficial, and furthermore, you can now learn a lot more about blockchain in general.
    Last edited by bobocat; 28th December 2022 at 16:53.