closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacing Rolex 5513 bezel pip

Master

Replacing Rolex 5513 bezel pip

Thought I'd reach out to the collective wisdom for some thoughts and suggestions. I have and wear most days a Rolex 5513 Submariner. At the last service I asked that the older bezel insert be refitted and the new service item is now in the box. The older insert is missing the pip. It used to have one, but maybe I lost it I can't remember. At service I was asked if I wanted a pip inserting, but declined thinking a Superluminova one would look at bit at odds with the creamy tritium that no longer glows...

I have found some aftermarket bezel pips/pearls on ebay where I can select from a range of colours to match the lume that an original would look like after all this time. And there's the option to have one that doesn't glow. But they are £49.99 and I'm not fully convinced this is what I need. Here's a link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323867001015?ul_noapp=true

Any other suggestions? I've lived for years without the bezel pip/pearl, but I'm thinking of doing something about it

Thanks

Ant

I searched for one when I had just bought a Mark 3 fat font insert for a DRSD many years ago. I eventually found a guy in Australia selling them on e-bay and bought one. I had it fitted by a watchmaker because they are so small and fiddly.

He advised only ever fit them when the insert is in place in the bezel because that is the weakest point of the insert and it is easy to actually split or crack the insert trying to push the pip in.

It is worth doing, although stories abound of cheap fakes filled with household magnolia emulsion - who knows...

Years ago I remember a post somewhere that showed a jam jar full of vintage pips, I think from a watch repairer, it was astonishing.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I bought one off e bay as I had a spare insert with no pip, I was quite pleased with it, think it was about £30 and improved the appearance dramatically, I would say go for it as you could spend considerably more on a supposedly OEM one and I doubt you would know the difference.

Craftsman
    I have just replaced the bezel and insert on my 5513 with new parts from Rolex. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a jeweller who said he often ages the pips using a simple process. I didn’t actually ask what his method was but will be seeing him over the weekend so will ask what he uses.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Thought I'd reach out to the collective wisdom for some thoughts and suggestions. I have and wear most days a Rolex 5513 Submariner. At the last service I asked that the older bezel insert be refitted and the new service item is now in the box. The older insert is missing the pip. It used to have one, but maybe I lost it I can't remember. At service I was asked if I wanted a pip inserting, but declined thinking a Superluminova one would look at bit at odds with the creamy tritium that no longer glows...

I have found some aftermarket bezel pips/pearls on ebay where I can select from a range of colours to match the lume that an original would look like after all this time. And there's the option to have one that doesn't glow. But they are £49.99 and I'm not fully convinced this is what I need. Here's a link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323867001015?ul_noapp=true

Any other suggestions? I've lived for years without the bezel pip/pearl, but I'm thinking of doing something about it

Thanks

Ant
    Sorry Ant mate, I think your 5513 is broken. As I am feeling generous I’ll give you £500 for it no questions asked, and I’ll buy you a pickled egg at the next in-person GTG

Pips are fairly cheap from Rolex, around 5p or something ludicrous the last time I asked, but you would need a friendly AD or Watchmaker with a parts account.

Part no. B31A-5513-Y1

The aging itself is fairly simple

A) Dig out superluminova, and fill with paint that matches the lume

B) Bake in the oven at around 130 for 10mins, checking every once in a while to see if the color matches.
    The heat also knock off some of the glow, it still glows like luminova, just not as bright.

Here’s one i baked earlier lol, almost a perfect match :)

Last edited by endo; 15th October 2020 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I bought one off e bay as I had a spare insert with no pip, I was quite pleased with it, think it was about £30 and improved the appearance dramatically, I would say go for it as you could spend considerably more on a supposedly OEM one and I doubt you would know the difference.
    Agreed. I've bought unfilled aftermarket pips before and had James/Dreamboat10 match them to the lume for me. I certainly wouldn't worry about finding a genuine one and paying silly money for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Sorry Ant mate, I think your 5513 is broken. As I am feeling generous I’ll give you £500 for it no questions asked, and I’ll buy you a pickled egg at the next in-person GTG
    Much as I enjoy a pickled egg they don't seem to be accurate timekeepers or sit well on the wrist - bit top heavy.

Ant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed. I've bought unfilled aftermarket pips before and had James/Dreamboat10 match them to the lume for me. I certainly wouldn't worry about finding a genuine one and paying silly money for it.
    That's what I was thinking. I don't need something that glows, only something in keeping with the colour and appearance of an original pip. Any suggestions where to get these from?

Cheers Tony

Ant

Watch bezel luminous Ali Express

They’ve got some for pennies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 20 mins in the oven trick works a treat to get a little colour into it - easy as pie!

Blog Entries
    Non-lumed 2.3mm dia pips available at Cousins

Rolex Generic - Bezel Dot

• Ø2.30mm diameter
    • Overall thickness 1.35mm
    • Off white dot with silver bezel
    • For Rolex bezels
    • Can be used for other watches
    • Non fluorescent

£2.25 each

z

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions, what a great place this is!

Ant

Craftsman
    That’s crazy charging £50 for aftermarket pips, can’t help thinking you’d feel a bit gutted when you saw what you got for the money!

The prices of original parts are ludicrous though. I suppose it’s understandable when the value of some of these watches is so high. Some parts must be extremely rare also.

I have a lollipop Tudor sub but it’s had the hands replaced with a Mercedes style at some point. I got a price to have a lollipop hand made and it was well over £100. Decided it wasn’t worth it to me. God knows what a genuine set would go for.