closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: Show your watch on a perlon strap

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    725

    Show your watch on a perlon strap

    I put my Dynamic on a perlon last week and I love it. It is so easy to adjust to get a perfect fit and super comfortable on the wrist.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,340
    Same strap:




  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Same strap:



    Love that dial.

  4. #4
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,279
    Eulit Panama

    Best strap in the world IMO



    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Eulit Panama

    Best strap in the world IMO
    I'm a convert. I followed your advice from another thread and ordered form the German seller on eBay.

  6. #6
    Master Gavbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Eulit Panama

    Best strap in the world IMO



    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Is that the 40mm?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Same strap:



    That grey looks nice. Is it Eulit? Where did you get it from please?

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,340
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    That grey looks nice. Is it Eulit? Where did you get it from please?
    It was from Crown & Buckle in US - colour is 'linen melange'. I'm pretty sure since I bought this there's somewhere now in the UK you can get these from??

  9. #9
    Thanks! Yes be good to track down a UK supplier.

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Thanks! Yes be good to track down a UK supplier.
    Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MELANGE-PER...a-909359090310

    Or their non-Amazon store:
    https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...n-watch-straps

  11. #11
    Master Routers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northampton, UK
    Posts
    2,112
    Had my Ranger on a perlon for a while, although now on rubber.
    Very comfy though.
    [IMG][/IMG]

  12. #12
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    18,542

  13. #13
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Is that the 40mm?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    36mm

    Another example of how wrist shots can distort. As I look down at typing this it does not look as big as in the picture


    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Cheers!

  15. #15
    Master Gavbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    36mm

    Another example of how wrist shots can distort. As I look down at typing this it does not look as big as in the picture


    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Wow. Indeed! Looks superb.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,447
    Skyliner on Eulit


  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    356
    Just in case anyone here knows.

    What is the origin of the "perlon" strap?

    And why are they called that? As far as I know Perlon is a trade name for a type of Nylon. How did it get applied to a type of weave and buckle arrangement?

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Just in case anyone here knows.

    What is the origin of the "perlon" strap?

    And why are they called that? As far as I know Perlon is a trade name for a type of Nylon. How did it get applied to a type of weave and buckle arrangement?
    Because it’s made from Perlon? (The clue is in the name!)

  19. #19
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    Oh go on then

    Last edited by Mr Curta; 15th October 2020 at 18:36.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  20. #20
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    If you insist

    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  21. #21
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    Aii

    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  22. #22
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  23. #23
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    Cheeky Chinese

    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  24. #24
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    mil issue

    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  25. #25

  26. #26
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    163
    Nomos Orion on Eulit perlon

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    8,775
    PRS 25 36mm


  28. #28
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,059
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Can't fault that.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Because it’s made from Perlon? (The clue is in the name!)
    Nice one.

    Loads of them aren't though. There are loads of "perlon" or "perlon style" straps which aren't actually made of the specific type of Nylon called Perlon.

    Hence the question about the origin of the strap design, and how a particular configuration of a single pass pull through strap with a "tropical" weave and a ladder style buckle came into being, and came to named after a brand of West German Nylon.

    I'm interested in the origin of the design. If you don't have anything to contribute on that front, there's no real reason to reply.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Nice one.

    Loads of them aren't though. There are loads of "perlon" or "perlon style" straps which aren't actually made of the specific type of Nylon called Perlon.

    Hence the question about the origin of the strap design, and how a particular configuration of a single pass pull through strap with a "tropical" weave and a ladder style buckle came into being, and came to named after a brand of West German Nylon.

    I'm interested in the origin of the design. If you don't have anything to contribute on that front, there's no real reason to reply.
    And relax....

    I assume it’s because they originally were made of perlon, and decent ones are. Other ‘perlon style’ straps simply aren’t the real thing, but it became a generic name for the style, much like ‘biro’. Actual perlon has some quite magical properties that make it suitable for watch straps, though surprisingly softness isn’t one of them.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    That colour really suits the sub. Will have to try one on my Tudor sub. Is it Eulit?

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    And relax....

    I assume it’s because they originally were made of perlon, and decent ones are. Other ‘perlon style’ straps simply aren’t the real thing, but it became a generic name for the style, much like ‘biro’. Actual perlon has some quite magical properties that make it suitable for watch straps, though surprisingly softness isn’t one of them.
    Think that's right about the name.

    Interestingly, just found this old thread on here suggesting the origin of the design might have been straps for spurs:

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

    The origin of the braided (Perlon) nylon strap?

    But I've also read that the design originated with the British army in the 60s.

  33. #33
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,279
    The technical term for Perlon is Nylon 6

    Wiki quote:
    "Nylon 6 or polycaprolactam is a polymer developed by Paul Schlack at IG Farben to reproduce the properties of nylon 6,6 without violating the patent on its production. (Around the same time, Kohei Hoshino at Toray also succeeded in synthesizing nylon 6.) It is a semicrystalline polyamide. Unlike most other nylons, nylon 6 is not a condensation polymer, but instead is formed by ring-opening polymerization; this makes it a special case in the comparison between condensation and addition polymers. Its competition with nylon 6,6 and the example it set have also shaped the economics of the synthetic fiber industry. It is sold under numerous trade names including Perlon (Germany), Dederon (former East Germany),[1] Nylatron, Capron, Ultramid, Akulon, Kapron (former Soviet Union and satellite states), and Durethan"

    More information here:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_6
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    That colour really suits the sub. Will have to try one on my Tudor sub. Is it Eulit?
    Thanks, it’s a Zuludiver from watchgecko

  35. #35
    Thanks for the thread.. these look great... Just ordered one as an experiment..

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

  36. #36

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    178


    Cocktail Time on an Eluit perlon.

    The most comfortable strap going and cool in the summer :)

    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

  38. #38
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    36mm

    Another example of how wrist shots can distort. As I look down at typing this it does not look as big as in the picture
    So you can enjoy the same watch in two different sizes.
    New Rolex adage: The customer is always wrong!

  39. #39
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,279
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    So you can enjoy the same watch in two different sizes.
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Grindsted, Danmark
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Brilliant!

  41. #41
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Think that's right about the name.

    Interestingly, just found this old thread on here suggesting the origin of the design might have been straps for spurs:

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

    The origin of the braided (Perlon) nylon strap?

    But I've also read that the design originated with the British army in the 60s.
    That was me in a previous reincarnation. Another reason for the original use with spurs is that that particular weave does not stretch even when wet.
    New Rolex adage: The customer is always wrong!

  42. #42
    this strap just arrived....

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Whitstable, UK
    Posts
    710

  44. #44
    Here’s mine


  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    303


    76100 on a cheap watch obsession Perlon but I find it comfortable. Definitely plan on trying Eulit in the near future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information