closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to service vintage Breitling??

Master

Where to service vintage Breitling??

Got a vintage 806 and another older Breitling chrono which I would
    Like to have serviced before I decide to keep or flip??
    The older one was originally plated in Rose gold which has started to run off on the usual lug areas so I had asked about replating but everyone I spoke to said leave it alone! Firstly to keep it original and secondly because new Rose Gold playing will look way too bling?? Does anyone have any ideas or pics of one that’s been redone??
    Thing is I know that Breitling have issues with any parts etc not going to any non Breitling authorised but these are surely so old they would necessarily have parts available anyway??
    I would like any advice on who to use ??

Thanks in advance!!
    Chris

Brendon ‘Webwatchmaker’ serviced a 806 for a acquaintance of mine and he was delighted with how it went.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Brendon ‘Webwatchmaker’ serviced a 806 for a acquaintance of mine and he was delighted with how it went.
    Thanks Jason,
    I service quite a number of these beauties. Was it for C.H. ?
    Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine:

Sent from my SM-A105FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 14th October 2020 at 23:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Thanks Jason,
    I service quite a number of these beauties. Was it for C.H. ?
    Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine:

Brendon - a question. When I've received pictures of my watches being serviced they're completely stripped down; in your picture it appears the mainplate and other parts haven't been stripped completely. Are they not parts that move and can therefore wear, and need oiling while being reassembled, or doesn't it matter?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    Got a vintage 806 and another older Breitling chrono which I would
    Like to have serviced before I decide to keep or flip??
    The older one was originally plated in Rose gold which has started to run off on the usual lug areas so I had asked about replating but everyone I spoke to said leave it alone! Firstly to keep it original and secondly because new Rose Gold playing will look way too bling?? Does anyone have any ideas or pics of one that’s been redone??
    Thing is I know that Breitling have issues with any parts etc not going to any non Breitling authorised but these are surely so old they would necessarily have parts available anyway??
    I would like any advice on who to use ??

Thanks in advance!!
    Chris
    I tend to use a couple of people to service my chronographs:

Rich Askham has sorted out lots of Breitling, some are on his website:

http://thewatchspotblog.com/?tag=breitling

Also as ever Olli (.olli. of this forum): http://onatelier.co.uk/

Master
    Brendon did a great job on my 806.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Brendon - a question. When I've received pictures of my watches being serviced they're completely stripped down; in your picture it appears the mainplate and other parts haven't been stripped completely. Are they not parts that move and can therefore wear, and need oiling while being reassembled, or doesn't it matter?
    Good point. My photo shows the movement after ultrasonic cleaning and was part reassembled for photographic brevity. My watch cleaning machine is incredibly thorough and leaves all components absolutely clean, dry and sparkling. All important components are dismantled and several different viscosity lubricants are used depending on the frictional properties of each one. This guarantees the best possible rate and amplitude. I have serviced dozens of 806's over the years and they are great watches. The classic pilot's watch.
    One Bristol dealer gave me thirty to service.

Good point. My photo shows the movement after ultrasonic cleaning and was part reassembled for photographic brevity. My watch cleaning machine is incredibly thorough and leaves all components absolutely clean, dry and sparkling. All important components are dismantled and several different viscosity lubricants are used depending on the frictional properties of each one. This guarantees the best possible rate and amplitude. I have serviced dozens of 806's over the years and they are great watches. The classic pilot's watch.
    One Bristol dealer gave me thirty to service.

It was you saying it was ready for the ultrasonic machine that made me wonder.

Master
    ALSAL Watches in London. Tim does all of my watches. A fantastic service throughout.

Banned
    It was you saying it was ready for the ultrasonic machine that made me wonder.
    Understood. There are no short cuts to servicing watches, most especially vintage ones, where the most unlikely components can show wear and therefore fail.
    *I should add that I am booked up for the next six weeks.

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 15th October 2020 at 09:49.

Understood. There are no short cuts to servicing watches, most especially vintage ones, where the most unlikely components can show wear and therefore fail.
    *I should add that I am booked up for the next six weeks.

I'd be interested to see what it looked like completely disassembled.

Banned
    If you should send me a watch for repair it will be my pleasure.

If you should send me a watch for repair it will be my pleasure.

I just assumed that if you took the time to completely disassemble a watch, put it all through the ultrasound, partially reassembled it to put it back into the ultrasound tray to then photograph it before putting it through the utrasound (I quote "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine") to then disassemble it to reassemble it for a second time then you might have taken a photo of it disassembled.

Thank you for the offer but I have all bases covered for repairs and servicing of my watch collection.

Banned
    I just assumed that if you took the time to completely disassemble a watch, put it all through the ultrasound, partially reassembled it to put it back into the ultrasound tray to then photograph it before putting it through the utrasound (I quote "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine") to then disassemble it to reassemble it for a second time then you might have taken a photo of it disassembled.

Thank you for the offer but I have all bases covered for repairs and servicing of my watch collection.
    Your assumption is incorrect, the photo was taken after cleaning and part reassembly on request from my customer. Your implications are therefore a little offensive.
    I am of course delighted that you are covered for your repairs.

Your assumption is incorrect, the photo was taken after cleaning and part reassembly on request from my customer. Your implications are therefore a little offensive.
    I am of course delighted that you are covered for your repairs.

In that case my apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick, it was you saying it was ready for the cleaner, rather than something like 'cleaned, patially reassembled and put back into the ultrasound basket for a photograph at the request of the customer' that had me confused. I remembered a similar picture from your thread on repairing that part on the Montreal (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5518487).

Banned
    In that case my apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick, it was you saying it was ready for the cleaner, rather than something like 'cleaned, patially reassembled and put back into the ultrasound basket for a photograph at the request of the customer' that had me confused. I remembered a similar picture from your thread on repairing that part on the Montreal (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5518487).
    Apology accepted. Perhaps I should clarify: So far this week I have serviced/repaired, amongst others, a Seiko 6139 Pogue, an Omega A3303 Broadarrow, a Glashutte Original, an 1861 Speedmaster and a JleC Master Control. If I took shortcuts I doubt if I would have lasted in this trade for almost 50 years. Not blowing my trumpet, just stating facts.

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 15th October 2020 at 18:42.

Master

That’s great!!!

Thanks guys!!
    I don’t trust Rolex with my vintage Rolex and I don’t trust Breitling with my vintage Breitling so it’s great to get some proper alternatives!!
    I will definitely use some of the options recommended so thanks guys!!

Chris

Apology accepted. Perhaps I should clarify: So far this week I have serviced/repaired, amongst others, a Seiko 6139 Pogue, an Omega A3303 Broadarrow, a Glashutte Original, an 1861 Speedmaster and a JleC Master Control. If I took shortcuts I doubt if I would have lasted in this trade for almost 50 years. Not blowing my trumpet, just stating facts.

No suggestion you were taking shortcuts, I assume it's common practice for watchmakers to photograph partially disassembled movements in ultrasound baskets at the request of customers and then posts pictures on a forum with the comment "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine". I've only ever been sent photos of completely disassembled movements when my watches are in for service, I'll be sure to ask for the partially disassembled movement in the 'ready for the ultrasound machine' pose next time.

In the future if I'm interested in buying a watch I will be sure to ask first if it's been serviced by you.

Banned
    No suggestion you were taking shortcuts, I assume it's common practice for watchmakers to photograph partially disassembled movements in ultrasound baskets at the request of customers and then posts pictures on a forum with the comment "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine". I've only ever been sent photos of completely disassembled movements when my watches are in for service, I'll be sure to ask for the partially disassembled movement in the 'ready for the ultrasound machine' pose next time.

In the future if I'm interested in buying a watch I will be sure to ask first if it's been serviced by you.
    So what exactly ARE you suggesting ? It is obvious that you are just gunning for an argument as you have done on other posts. It shows you to be a man of little significance with nothing better to do, making disrespectful and sarcastic comments on a public forum without any self respect or any experience of my work.
    My many positive references and extremely low return rate speak for themselves.

To be fair, your comments and photographs appear to indicate that you don’t fully dismantle all movements before ultrasonically cleaning them.

All Foxy100 was asking was for clarity as to whether this is or isn’t the case.

There is and was, absolutely no need for you to take offence or start being abusive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    To be fair, your comments and photographs appear to indicate that you don’t fully dismantle all movements before ultrasonically cleaning them.

All Foxy100 was asking was for clarity as to whether this is or isn’t the case.

There is and was, absolutely no need for you to take offence or start being abusive.
    Of course I dismantle movements completely. My photos show some components reassembled simply for clarity.
    Aren't you another member who lives in the Bear Pit ?

Grand Master
    Do you expect Brendan to have taken a photo at every stage? If repairers did that they’d spend more time taking pics than building watches! In my case I only takes pics of movements to help reassembly, I save them on the computer for future reference when a similar movement comes along. If someone asks I’ll take a couple but there’s every likelihood I’ll forget. I don’t see what it achieves for the owner, if they’re seeking proof that the jobs been done thoroughly that implies mistrust and if that’s the case the watch should be sent elsewhere.

One thing most repairers do is to re- attach the balance to the mainplate to go through the cleaning machine, this is the ideal way to protect the delicate hairspring.

There are cases where it makes no sense to dismantle every single component, it’s pointless. This does not imply that short cuts are being taken or the repairer is using bad judgement, but it always pays to check security of any screws or parts that haven’t bee removed. Those who work on watches will know what I mean, those who don’t will have to trust me on this point.

Fixing watches is like pass the parcel when the music stops, whoever touched the watch last takes responsibility for its integrity so there’s nothing to be gained by not doing work thoroughly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Do you expect Brendan to have taken a photo at every stage? If repairers did that they’d spend more time taking pics than building watches! In my case I only takes pics of movements to help reassembly, I save them on the computer for future reference when a similar movement comes along. If someone asks I’ll take a couple but there’s every likelihood I’ll forget. I don’t see what it achieves for the owner, if they’re seeking proof that the jobs been done thoroughly that implies mistrust and if that’s the case the watch should be sent elsewhere.

One thing most repairers do is to re- attach the balance to the mainplate to go through the cleaning machine, this is the ideal way to protect the delicate hairspring.

There are cases where it makes no sense to dismantle every single component, it’s pointless. This does not imply that short cuts are being taken or the repairer is using bad judgement, but it always pays to check security of any screws or parts that haven’t bee removed. Those who work on watches will know what I mean, those who don’t will have to trust me on this point.

Fixing watches is like pass the parcel when the music stops, whoever touched the watch last takes responsibility for its integrity so there’s nothing to be gained by not doing work thoroughly.
    I absolutely agree Paul. I certainly don't have time either, to lay out all the components on a sheet in order to prove that I dismantle everything. As I said, our repair record and positive comments indicate that our work is more than satisfactory.
    Some parts are best left undismantled, such as chronograph clutch devices, and this is learnt at the watch school.
    There will always be a group who start arguments on here for the sake of it. I just find it sad that they have nothing more interesting to occupy themselves. And likely very few watches worth repairing either. I just feel sorry for the repairers who end up dealing with these characters.

So what exactly ARE you suggesting ? It is obvious that you are just gunning for an argument as you have done on other posts. It shows you to be a man of little significance with nothing better to do, making disrespectful and sarcastic comments on a public forum without any self respect or any experience of my work.
    My many positive references and extremely low return rate speak for themselves.

You were the one that brought up shortcuts, not me.

You pop up offering your services with pictures of a partially disassembled movement and a comment which I quote again (I appreciate I may not have made this clear enough before) "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine". Note the important part here is you said "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine". I ask you to clarify and you reply "My photo shows the movement after ultrasonic cleaning and was part reassembled for photographic brevity". Which isn't the same as saying "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine". I mentioned being interested in seeing a photograph of the movement disassembled and you suggest you could take a photo of mine in pieces if I send it to you for repair. Still touting for work, good effort! Unless you were being sarcastic. Oh. That's rather disrespectful. Then we move on to me explaining (again) that your comment "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine" alongside a picture of a partially disassembled movement led me to assume you may have taken a photo of the watch fully disassembled if you were going to all the effort to disassemble the watch to put it through the ultrasonic machine to then partially reassemble it to put it back in the cleaning basket to then post on a forum and comment "Here's one ready for the ultrasonic watch cleaning machine" so you can disassemble it to put it through the ultrasonic a second time to then put it back together. At which point you blow your own trumpet again before telling me you're not blowing your own trumpet because they're facts.

But the 'a man of little significance' bit made me laugh and my phone light up, thank you!

Craftsman
    Ahem, getting back on topic, another recommendation for Brendan. Serviced my 806 and my Zenith De Luca earlier this year. Very happy with the results (and he sent me some nice photos of both of them in bits ).

Amazing how shiny the 806 movement looked after the cleaner had finished with it, looked brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brenden did some amazing work restoring a watch for me.... I am a very happy customer...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thank you chaps. Much appreciated.

It is the original poster I feel sorry for. He innocently seeks advice on the servicing of his watches and ends up drawn into a totally ill considered diatribe.
    Good news is that he messaged me and is sending the watches to me for repair.

Thank you chaps. Much appreciated.

It is the original poster I feel sorry for. He innocently seeks advice on the servicing of his watches and ends up drawn into a totally ill considered diatribe.
    Good news is that he messaged me and is sending the watches to me for repair.

I'm glad we cleared up everything and you've had a happy ending. I'd also like to thank everyone who's sent me a PM and think I've replied to all of them.