closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grana WWW makes how much?!

Grana WWW makes how much?!

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-ac3f00959d6b

I work this out to be just over £23500, and not exactly a great example, strewth..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Isn’t this the super rare one?

They are arguably the poorest quality WWW as well.
    Still if you have the other 11 and you need that last one... it has the wrong hands though!!!!!
    Its far too much money

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree, way overpriced, especially for that example. Almost unbelievable. Literally. I much prefer mine.

I have a Grana ATP ...nearest I'll ever get to a WWW

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Poorest quality WWW

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    They are arguably the poorest quality WWW as well.
    Still if you have the other 11 and you need that last one... it has the wrong hands though!!!!!
    Its far too much money

Just saw this thread and would like to know why have this comment as Grana WWW has SS case, and most of the Grana WWW show up in the market has much better condition than the others, so I really don't see one that has rusted dial, pitted case back, etc. Maybe the owner keeps the watch in good condition but from quality perspective, why it can be quoted as having poorest quality?

Money wise, how to determine it is far too much or not much money? Really based on market supply and demand.

Just my 0.002cents

Quote Originally Posted by HansL View Post
    Just saw this thread and would like to know why have this comment as Grana WWW has SS case, and most of the Grana WWW show up in the market has much better condition than the others, so I really don't see one that has rusted dial, pitted case back, etc. Maybe the owner keeps the watch in good condition but from quality perspective, why it can be quoted as having poorest quality?

Money wise, how to determine it is far too much or not much money? Really based on market supply and demand.

Just my 0.002cents
    I’d guess that at least some of the remark is aimed at the Kurt Freres movement.

Quote Originally Posted by HansL View Post

Just my 0.002cents
    I am not saying it was a poor watch but I would say that the IWC, Longines, Omega and JLC are of better quality and you could argue that the Lemania, Eterna, Cyma, Buran and Timor were at least equal or better quality which leaves the most common versions the Record and the Vertex at the bottom of the pile. Largely for the poorer quality case. The KF movement is not as refined as some of the others used.
    You are correct that they have a SS case and they do tend to be in better condition than others; whilst I am not sure of the exact cause, there must be a reason why so few were issued and very few made the transition to NATO / MOD Redialled versions. Did they have a shorter service life than the others? As we know Grana had experience mass producing MOD specification watches previously.
    As you rightly point its their scarcity that make them desirable, not their quality.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st November 2020 at 09:01.

Well this is the hardest one of the twelve to get. Some people got less brains than they got money they want the dirty dozen so bad. My last watch vintage Czech Eterna military watch I bought on line I am emailing the seller talking about why we collect. He collected it as a investment said it was better than the stock market and by the way this Grana sold he is right. I collect for the history of them they were a working watch and like the way they look just cool and I wear mine don't even own a modern watch and started when they were cheaper to buy and it was not hip or a investment. Now I am getting priced out of the hobby I buy less maybe 2-3 a year when I use to buy 8-12 a year and sooner it will be zero with less deals. Only had one of the dirty dozen the Timor got it for 450 US and sold it for not much more a few years later before they jumped in price wished I kept it now only sold a few of my watches sort of a pack rat. Vintage watch prices have got insane like I bought a vintage Tudor Snowflake 7021 when I retired 8-10 years ago bought it when it was called the poor mans sub for 2000 US then you could get a vintage Rolex GMT for 4000 and at the time I thought 4000 was crazy now look what they sell for nuts. I would not pay 6000-8000 for a vintage snowflake today. Did not think of it as a investment bought it as a retirement watch bought it because I figure just once I could add some thing I wanted and spend that much just one time figuring I could not afford this hobby in retirement well some years later that became reality like today. In a way you can thank the internet and watch forums and hodinkee were it brought vintage watches to others attention and the prices slowly jumped in price over the years. I notice a lot of military watch blogs are gone maybe trying to hide info and stop the rising prices there use to be some cool blogs on issued watches out there.
    Last edited by River Rat; 28th October 2020 at 15:53.

Journeyman
    In term of the cases of the www's the grana is very good, out of mine, the case with the worst condition is the vertex which has heavily brassed.

The only mechanical issue my grana has shown is a broken mainspring which in a 70 year old timepiece that may well have been used in some 'interesting' places is forgivable.

I didnt come early enough to military watches to enjoy the golden years, but was able to start when the record was £300, sadly by the time I cracked and paid silly money (to me at the time) for the grana it was 10 times that plus 😣 and like River Rat my purchase rate has dropped drastically.

I still pick up the odd GS and GSTP pocket watch (one this week from the bay) and sigh everytime I see one of the JLC pocket watches, beautiful movement but I dont think I've ever seen one with a dial that hasn't blistered, the one I have has blistered so badly the hands cant run without catching on them.

On a side note one of my mini sets, is Grana, I have the WWW, DH (wrist), ATP, GSTP, a Certina and an Accurist with the same movement and am keeping a weather eye open for a DH pocket watch, which seem to go for 3 times the price of the GSTP.