closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plastic ball case opener

Plastic ball case opener

I'm fortunate in owning a genuine Bergeon Jaxa (the price on the box shows £3 19 /- so pre-1971!) Regardless however I still worry about slipping when removing case backs and although its never happened there is always a first time. The battery in my Grand Seiko needed changing and one watch that doesn't wear scratches well is the GS so I decided to quite try a plastic ball to open the case (lots of reviews on Youtube etc imply how good they are but I was cynical). I found one on Amazon and reluctantly paid £9 for it (seemed a lot for what seemed to be a cheap toy) - to my surprise it worked a treat both to remove and then replace the back and I can envisage using this more than the Jaxa which will be kept in reserve for difficult to remove backs. So, cynic turns into a fan.
    Keith

I bought a Bergeon one a few month's ago and I've used it twice since then but I have to say they do actually work. I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you. I'll use this first & if no joy I will revert to using the Jaxa although I paid around £80.00 for mine over a year ago.
    Price's are even more today at around £100.00. This is for the smaller Bergeon version rather than the full handle one.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Yea they do work rather well on cases that are not tightly screwed down. With Rolex oyster cases you will need the real tool to tighten though to ensure it’s water tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Keith,

I also have one of those plastic balls and have been able to open cases on some of my watches. I haven't had any luck with divers, which may have to do with the different gaskets or higher torque spec on the caseback.

As for GS, I still own your old SBGV005 and that's one of the few watches where I don't replace the battery myself but have it changed by a professional along with a pressure test.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jackjack View Post
    Yea they do work rather well on cases that are not tightly screwed down. With Rolex oyster cases you will need the real tool to tighten though to ensure it’s water tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve opened subs with my ball, if we are talking about the same type of ball, mine is like a squishy rubbery plastic kegle looking thing

OK guys, you'll be exchanging pictures of your balls next.....

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Hi Keith,

I also have one of those plastic balls and have been able to open cases on some of my watches. I haven't had any luck with divers, which may have to do with the different gaskets or higher torque spec on the caseback.

As for GS, I still own your old SBGV005 and that's one of the few watches where I don't replace the battery myself but have it changed by a professional along with a pressure test.
    Hi Jan that SBGV005 was sold some time back, 2017? Glad to see its still with you - luckily my GS is very much a dress watch and wont be going near to any water, the case back gasket was in good shape so just gave it a thin smear with silicone grease and the miser in me was happier to spend a few quid on the correct Seiko battery and my new yellow ball rather than send it to Seiko and wait quite a while for it to return after their £60+ charge...

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith, the SBGV005 isn't going anywhere
    I totally agree with your statement that GS cases do not wear scratches well. The Zaratsu polished bits seem to get marred just by looking at them the wrong way...
    If you take your time and keep your wits about you, replacing a battery isn't rocket science. I have no qualms doing it at home on my "lesser" watches.
    With the GS and my Citizen Chronomaster I had the batteries replaced by a local master watchmaker for about 20 Euros each including pressure testing.
    Never took him more than two or three days to carry out the service and he was happy to work on "decent" watches. That's an expense I can live with in exchange for peace of mind.

However, if I had no local options and shipping the watches off to the respective service centers with the associated cost and turn-around times, I'd go DIY as well.