closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bronze watches: is forced patina go, or No-go?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Have people got baby arms . Heavy watches!!! Who smells watches? Does stainless smell better than bronze:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all about choice and preference, nothing to do with muscles or baby arms. Why do you suppose they make Titanium watches and why do you suppose people like or dislike rubber watch bands that have a vanilla smell. I am a 15 stone guy who takes a a size 12 in a shoe, I certainly do not have baby arms, I just do not want a heavy watch hanging from my wrist. do you understand what I am saying?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I am a 15 stone guy who takes a a size 12 in a shoe,......... do you understand what I am saying?
    Who's going to argue?

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Who's going to argue?
    I am happy to debate anything with anyone, I think the comment about baby arms is an incorrect one and exactly as I pointed out, its about choice and what a person feels is comfortable for them and nothing to do with wrist or body size.

Master
    Its all about choice and preference, nothing to do with muscles or baby arms. Why do you suppose they make Titanium watches and why do you suppose people like or dislike rubber watch bands that have a vanilla smell. I am a 15 stone guy who takes a a size 12 in a shoe, I certainly do not have baby arms, I just do not want a heavy watch hanging from my wrist. do you understand what I am saying?
    Yeap, I’m a 14 stone guy that takes a size 9 what ever difference that makes. I’ve never found a watch noticeably too heavy. I’ve only ever noticed the smell of a watch when it needs a good clean round the back too get rid of nasty cheese. Seems BS when people can notice a 8 gram weight difference on a wrist though when comparing bronze or stainless I’m sure you will agree?

Master
    I am happy to debate anything with anyone, I think the comment about baby arms is an incorrect one and exactly as I pointed out, its about choice and what a person feels is comfortable for them and nothing to do with wrist or body size.
    Of course my comment about baby arms was incorrect. It was a joke:)

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeap, I’m a 14 stone guy that takes a size 9 what ever difference that makes. I’ve never found a watch noticeably too heavy. I’ve only ever noticed the smell of a watch when it needs a good clean round the back too get rid of nasty cheese. Seems BS when people can notice a 8 gram weight difference on a wrist though when comparing bronze or stainless I’m sure you will agree?

I agree that it is a matter of choice and what a person is happy with. I have tried a Bronze watch and it was not for me, you clearly like them and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

Would it be fair to say that bronze watches tend to fall into the larger, and so heavier, category?
    For what it's worth, I have only one bronze watch because it's the only one I've liked enough to buy and I also have a few titanium ones; my choices are made taking a number of factors into account, not just what the watches are made of.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I think that looks rather cool! However, isn't it almost as fake as a dodgy Rolex? I'm sure there are purists out there who insist that your watch's patina must be your own and nobody else's!!!!
    Well, because of the production method no two watches are the same, so the patina on your watch is your patina and if you wear it regularly, this will change over time, though this would be a long time.

Mind you Casio charge a pretty penny for these 'aged' watches, so the production process must be expensive.

Mitch

I have an Archimede Deck Watch, of which there is a bronze version. I quite like the look of it. They make their own cases at Ickler, very good quality.
    F.T.F.A.

As far as i know the bronce leave this green oxide in the wrist and hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Cheese!!!
    I don't think that's a grate idea, in fact it's absolutely crackers...

Quote Originally Posted by Caminos View Post
    As far as i know the bronce leave this green oxide in the wrist and hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bronze undergoes oxidation but the green compound that forms due to interaction between the skin and the copper in the bronze alloy is actually not an oxide but Cuprous chloride. Most bronze watches have a stainless steel or titanium case back, this avoiding direct contact with skin. That is the reason for not having a bronze bracelet. Green coloration, btw is ON the wrist and not IN the wrist.A bronze buckle can sometimes be an issue for some but not all. Some brands get around this by having a brass buckle instead. I have never had the green discolouration on my wrist so far. The more acidic your sweat is more likely you are to have this issue.

Master
    3 years in and IMHO developing a nice patina. It never strikes me as a heavy watch at all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Bronze undergoes oxidation but the green compound that forms due to interaction between the skin and the copper in the bronze alloy is actually not an oxide but Cuprous chloride. Most bronze watches have a stainless steel or titanium case back, this avoiding direct contact with skin. That is the reason for not having a bronze bracelet. Green coloration, btw is ON the wrist and not IN the wrist.A bronze buckle can sometimes be an issue for some but not all. Some brands get around this by having a brass buckle instead. I have never had the green discolouration on my wrist so far. The more acidic your sweat is more likely you are to have this issue.
    Thanks Rajen. Good explanation.

Master
    I rather like the Pam..... Except you can't turn the bezel, crown or crown lock.... Or looks quite cool in a totally unusable way

I picked up a steeldive FF bronze which is waiting for me at home.

I hadn't considered the weight or discoloration.

Just thought it looked cool.

We will see.....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    About a nine months of daily wear versus just polished.
    No noticeable smell in either condition.
    Not everyone’s cup of tea but something for everyone in this daft hobby.
    Image1611482805.229495.jpg
    IMG_0160.JPG

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought an Undone Bronze watch second hand before Christmas. The watch was first sold in May 2020 and the first owner hadn't wore the watch, so the patina developed so far is natural.

The instructions give you advice on both cleaning and making the Watch look even more distressed. To clean they advise putting the Watch head in a small open bowl of white vinegar and use a soft toothbrush. To take it the other way they say put it in something like a jam jar full of vinegar, put the top on to seal and leave it for a long period.

I was going to clean it when I got it, but I think I will leave it and see how it goes knowing I can always return it to 'as new' if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I bought an Undone Bronze watch second hand before Christmas. The watch was first sold in May 2020 and the first owner hadn't wore the watch, so the patina developed so far is natural.

The instructions give you advice on both cleaning and making the Watch look even more distressed. To clean they advise putting the Watch head in a small open bowl of white vinegar and use a soft toothbrush. To take it the other way they say put it in something like a jam jar full of vinegar, put the top on to seal and leave it for a long period.

I was going to clean it when I got it, but I think I will leave it and see how it goes knowing I can always return it to 'as new' if needs be.
    The colour is lovely on that

This is the only bronze watch I've had.

Loved it.

I like the Tudor BB & the Zenith Cronometro Tipo CP-2 in bronze.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Not everyone’s favourite brand but the bronze montblanc 1858’s are cool watch with a titanium alloy case back to match the bronze colour and give very limited contact with skin and reduce the overall weight dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bronze watches: is forced patina go, or No-go?!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    This is the only bronze watch I've had.

Loved it.

I like the Tudor BB & the Zenith Cronometro Tipo CP-2 in bronze.
    Lovely. The bezel looks quite shiny. I remember they had some variations using different materials was the bezel a different material, polished or is it just the picture?

Here’s my polluce. It was unsold for quite a while so the patina developed very evenly.

And my Halios after a year. I wore it 6 months daily.

And this is how it started out

After one year I polished it. Kind of liked to have the shiny look back for a moment and seeing how quickly patina develops it has developed patina again quickly. Will never touch the Anonimo though.

Last edited by Glen Goyne; 24th January 2021 at 18:49.

Forced.

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Lovely. The bezel looks quite shiny. I remember they had some variations using different materials was the bezel a different material, polished or is it just the picture?
    I think I actually gave in a bit of a clean up / polish a while before taking the photo.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Great thread and a joy to see so many different bronze watches with patina.

Working in brewing and distilling, I have a soft spot for bronze, brass, copper and patinated/oiled black steel, whereas the modern brewing equipment is usually stainless steel, with the occasional copper cladding for looks only.

My watches that fall into the brass and bronze category are these three:

The Helson is the brass version of the Sharkdiver 45. Its been in all sorts of oceans and exposed to salt water a lot (then it gets a bit more copper reddish for a while) but usually it does not change much more and if so, the shirt sleeve will polish it off easily. The sping bars failed on it on several occasions as they rusted through.

Eddies Precista Bronze does not swim and is more pampered, yet it developed the "bronze statue" patina very evenly, one could even say very gracefully and elegant. I think I had this watch in a bag with a hard boiled egg for a few hours a few years ago, so yes its been forced a litlle.

Just another case shot to show the even oxidation,very smooth too.

The BB Bronze is the latest addition and its been only 5 weeks on my wrist. It looks a bit wild yet, but I like it that way.

Last edited by bmwrover; 28th January 2021 at 10:18.

Not fully bronze but I thing my Oris 65 is a nice compromise.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Not fully bronze but I thing my Oris 65 is a nice compromise.

The links are bronze on the underside aren’t they? Do you get any marks on your wrist/ shirt? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    The links are bronze on the underside aren’t they? Do you get any marks on your wrist/ shirt? Thanks

Not had any issues with that yet but it is cold, I imagine in the summer (with a bit of sweat) that this might happen but so far no. :)