closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronze watches: is forced patina go, or No-go?!

Bronze watches: is forced patina go, or No-go?!

Attachment 18379

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That looks awful; like it’s been neglected at the bottom of the sea for a few years.

Light patina is nice... to a point. Bronze watches start to look dirty quickly and then this looks awful. Plus the green would ruin shirt cuffs!

I always polished mine.

Craftsman

Bronze watches

They start looking dirty when you don't treat them like any other steel watch you own. Letting it patina naturally is the way to go to develope a warm brownish colour..
    This one looks awful and as said above will stain your shirt ...Not the way to treat a watch IMHO..

Guillermo

Journeyman
    It definitely wouldn't be for me.

As Torromoto says above, shirt cuffs would suffer. And I imagine the watch strap too. I also can't help thinking the water resistance of the watch would be badly affected (less tight fit with the glass etc).

No damage done though. Place in an open jar or bowl of white vinegar and use a soft tooth brush and you will get all that rubbish off. Then just leave to develop naturally.

Never understood why some people desperately want to wear something that looks rusted. Far from conjuring up romantic images of victorian divers in bell suits, it reminds me more of shopping trolleys dredged from the local canal.

Can’t stand bronze.
    Last edited by Christian; 14th October 2020 at 11:21.

Hideous.

I only have one bronze watch currently and bought it from a guy who lived and worked next to the Med'. It has a dark patina with touches of green in crevices and the case/lug edges polished through use. That's the kind of patina I like but even them I am aware it's his patina not mine. I'm tempted to clean it back and start again for nearly 3 seconds then something more important enters my mind and I forget all about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Hideous.

I only have one bronze watch currently and bought it from a guy who lived and worked next to the Med'. It has a dark patina with touches of green in crevices and the case/lug edges polished through use. That's the kind of patina I like but even them I am aware it's his patina not mine. I'm tempted to clean it back and start again for nearly 3 seconds then something more important enters my mind and I forget all about it.
    That sounds really nice- can you put up a pic?

Blog Entries
    Start with it cleaned. Wear it. = Patina.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Ahhh looks like an anode from the side of a boat.....

Agree with Ken ....white wine vinegar...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, no, not for me.
    I like patina, but this imo is like baking dials etc. Alright for a bit of fun but then get rid of it and reset.

I like the look of polished bronze and a subtle natural patina is nice. I’ve seen a few watches with flakes of the teal/green superoxide on, and that’s too far for me. The OP’s example is clearly extreme but looks almost unhygienic to me.

Master
    Well, I find the idea of patinated bronze quite intriguing, but maybe NOT as in that example. I am tempted to get a bronze watch and experiment, though I wonder if I'd actually wear it!

Are you sure it's actually real - it just looks like a nasty paintshop job.

I'll be glad when the bronze watch fad dies on its arse - it corrodes, it's heavy, it's soft so scratches and dents easily, and when it does go out of fashion, all the unwanted examples are going to be impossible to sell. What next? Tin watches? Lead watches? Zinc watches?

The one in the OP looks like one of my leaky central-heating pipes - and that amount of corrosion isn't reversible, it'll be badly pitted under all that turquoise-coloured gunk. Just No.

If you want to do something like this with a Panerai 382 Watchfinder will sell you a reasonably-unpatinated one for £23.7k so you can get started.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Not for me I know that for sure. I’m more of a fresh out of the box bronze fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

If you want to do something like this with a Panerai 382 Watchfinder will sell you a reasonably-unpatinated one for £23.7k so you can get started.
    I prefer it like this:

Wow there was one on eBay last week (Fake one) the guy claimed he had done it all himself lol it had the Chinese unitas copy in it and looked horrible. Someone actually bid over £200.00 for it
    Definitely not for me. Real or fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'll be glad when the bronze watch fad dies on its arse - it corrodes, it's heavy, it's soft so scratches and dents easily, and when it does go out of fashion, all the unwanted examples are going to be impossible to sell. What next? Tin watches? Lead watches? Zinc watches?

The one in the OP looks like one of my leaky central-heating pipes - and that amount of corrosion isn't reversible, it'll be badly pitted under all that turquoise-coloured gunk. Just No.
    Lead sounds good 👍🏻 Think of the patina that would pick up

I like many others went for the hype that surrounds Bronze watches, Purchased one and like you say they are heavier than their stainless counterparts, I found the smell of the bronze a bit off an annoyance as well, I just did not see any advantage over stainless unless you want a grubby looking heavy watch. Soon sold it and back to stainless watches

Bronze have always looked cheap to me. Like rose gold gone wrong.

I like my one and only bronze watch, an Armida.
    I let the patina develop naturally, and as it does so on the low spots, the high spots get kept clean, if not actually polished, by the contact with sleeves, jackets etc. the edge of the bezel is polished, the numerals dark, and the case in the low spot near the crown might just about be developing some green.
    The result is, I think, a very pleasing combination of dull, patinated and polished.
    It is a pace and style of aging that is not possible with an SS watch. this watch is only a couple of years old.
    Artificial aging looks silly, to me, but if someone likes it, they can do it.

This is my Armida, looking a little dusty too after some DIY.

Dave

Blog Entries
    An interesting thread to me... as I just took purchase the other month of a 48mm bronze Glycine Combat Sub.

I cannot wait for it to get patina...but noting gross.
    It just looks like a shiny watch right now... brassy almost... and I was wondering how long I am looking at for it to look "bronze bronze", if you get my drift?

Agreed... that green looks gross. i watched a video of it being done... and as mentioned above... is easily reversible.

I cannot wait for it to happen. Do I need to get it contact with cold shower water and perhaps rinse / dry?

Or is it purely a waiting game.

Craftsman

Tudor Bronze

I bought a Tudor bronze when they first came out and spent 2 weeks sailing in France. The patina created by the saltwater was amazing although it did eventually start to look quite dirty. When i got home i cleaned it and the watch looked brand new again. From there the patina started all over again with an other unique look. Finally got bored and sold it for a ceramic Omega.

Great answering - Thx guys The pic is just one ripped off the internet.

I myself is like the natural forming patina. When i get my first bronze watch, i’ll probably clean it and wear it...... and watch it change slowly

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I like your example Sweets, it's quite subtle compared to the watch that started this thread and jwg663's barnacle-encrusted example.

You say it's only a few years old - will you need to carefully maintain it in order to avoid it becoming like the above samples?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    ...I found the smell of the bronze a bit off an annoyance as well...
    Good point, I'd forgotten about that - brass and bronze can smell distinctly unpleasant when in contact with human skin, and of course some people are allergic to them.

I've had a go encouraging the patina on a couple of bronze watches - a PRS-30 and a Steinhart Ocean 1.

I do quite like the shipwreck look, but it's not practical.

The PRS-30 turned a nice variety of shades of brown. the Steinhart just developed some green but just looked a bit brassy.

In the end I sold them both.

Just horrible. I have two bronze watches. Anonimo and Halios. Anonimo has full deep natural patina. The Halios darkened very quickly and I polished it just to see the process all over again, however no need to rush the process. I like the patina is formed based on me and what I do. Not based on eggs and other chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    How many peoples ‘bronze’ watches are actually brass?

What next? Tin watches? Lead watches? Zinc watches?

Cheese!!!
    THIN is the new BLACK

Polishing brass reminds me of weekend sailing trips as a kid on old boats... Fantastically satisfying if you are time rich ;)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The OP's example is a bit OTT for me!
    I enjoy my 2 bronze watches- Schofield bronze beater and the GG which is constantly developing, but easily restored.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    How many peoples ‘bronze’ watches are actually brass?
    I have one of each and when they have been polished you can tell the difference but it's very subtle.

Patina has to be natural, I don't get the dredged up from the bottom of the sea look. It's just another dimension, like PVD coated or carbon watches. Whatever catches your fancy.

Curiously, I haven't found brass/bronze to be noticably heavier than stainless steel, That said, I'm a big fan of titanium and prefer it to brass, bronze or stainless.

To each their own.

Purchased one and like you say they are heavier than their stainless counterparts
    They're not noticeably heavier at all, just a few grams which the wearer doesn't not notice at all.

Like for like - a 42mm steel cased watch, with steel crown - 76g. Same watch, bronze case, bronze crown but steel back - 81g.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Cheese!!!
    A good excuse to link to this....

https://www.cheeseconnoisseur.com/sw...ade-of-cheese/

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    They're not noticeably heavier at all, just a few grams which the wearer doesn't not notice at all.

Like for like - a 42mm steel cased watch, with steel crown - 76g. Same watch, bronze case, bronze crown but steel back - 81g.
    So they are heavier, end of story. You are comparing a watch of 76 gram if you compare a watch that weighs 120 gram in stainless to its counterpart in Bronze I am sure there will be more than 5 gram difference.

Master
    There again, if you don't like the Patina'd look, then surely a bronze watch is not for you! Since they will all patina eventually (OK, I know that there are different sorts of bronze around that only patina slowly), if you don't like that, then you condemn yourself to lifetime of watch cleaning. If you like the shiny look, buy something gold (effect or real, depending on budget).

I am not keen on bronze watches. For one, bronze is not a good material for an every day watch it is a comparatively soft metal and it is heavy.

This patina thing is a bit overblown and some of the watches just look dirty and nasty not to mention the effect on your clothes it might contact.

I prefer Casio's approach to 'aged patina'. They do it themselves on some of their stainless steel watches so that they can control the final look and also design the dials etc to match the colouration and have all the advantages of SS over bronze. They do two different coloured layers of IP coating then wear the top coating away a bit to produce the 'aged patina' effect.

If you wear the watch a lot, constant rubbing will alter the IP finish slightly but will be unnoticeable against the overall finish.
    Here is one I like.

Mitch

Journeyman
    All the bronze watches on this thread have leather or fabric straps. I'm guessing bracelets are not an option - a bronze bracelet being heavy and staining clothes being an issue?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by animaal View Post
    All the bronze watches on this thread have leather or fabric straps. I'm guessing bracelets are not an option - a bronze bracelet being heavy and staining clothes being an issue?
    Only bronze bracelet I'm aware of is this:

But as you point out, I imagine it's a heavy sod and don't know how they'd solve the skin contact issue.

I've never had a problem on skin or clothes from the case (fabric strap, stainless case back) but can image that bracelet might do something unwanted.

Master
    I like many others went for the hype that surrounds Bronze watches, Purchased one and like you say they are heavier than their stainless counterparts, I found the smell of the bronze a bit off an annoyance as well, I just did not see any advantage over stainless unless you want a grubby looking heavy watch. Soon sold it and back to stainless watches
    Have people got baby arms . Heavy watches!!! Who smells watches? Does stainless smell better than bronze:)

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Have people got baby arms . Heavy watches!!! Who smells watches? Does stainless smell better than bronze:)

Lol. I find most of these criticisms a bit disingenuous as well. They are marginally heavier, never really have dented any and patinate nicely.
    Should confess though, I have never tried to kiss it or taken it near my nose for whatever reason, so don’t know what they smell like:-)
    They have been around for too long to be dismissed as a fad and have found their place amongst case materials. At one stage, I had enough of bronze but lately my interest has been rekindled.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 15th October 2020 at 16:47.

So they are heavier, end of story. You are comparing a watch of 76 gram if you compare a watch that weighs 120 gram in stainless to its counterpart in Bronze I am sure there will be more than 5 gram difference.
    It is about 10% heavier at the most.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is about 10% heavier at the most.
    Putting a stainless bracelet on a watch will make it super heavy compared to its bronze leather strapped counterpart. Come on, what a joke you limp wristed watch wearers:)

All artificial ageing of watch parts is dreadful, nothing worse than a newly faded bezel insert.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Only bronze bracelet I'm aware of is this:

But as you point out, I imagine it's a heavy sod and don't know how they'd solve the skin contact issue.

I've never had a problem on skin or clothes from the case (fabric strap, stainless case back) but can image that bracelet might do something unwanted.
    Has anyone actually bought the full bronze Oris??

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I prefer Casio's approach to 'aged patina'. They do it themselves on some of their stainless steel watches so that they can control the final look and also design the dials etc to match the colouration and have all the advantages of SS over bronze. They do two different coloured layers of IP coating then wear the top coating away a bit to produce the 'aged patina' effect.

If you wear the watch a lot, constant rubbing will alter the IP finish slightly but will be unnoticeable against the overall finish.
    Here is one I like.

I think that looks rather cool! However, isn't it almost as fake as a dodgy Rolex? I'm sure there are purists out there who insist that your watch's patina must be your own and nobody else's!!!!

Master
    Not quite answering the question but I like this new bronze https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...very&term=Yema