closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is the iPhone 12 going to be kryptonite for mechanical watch owners?

Is the iPhone 12 going to be kryptonite for mechanical watch owners?

I was just reading about the iPhone 12 release.

They're making quite a big deal about the Magsafe feature which is on all 4 new models. It's a reasonably strong magnet embedded within the phone that will allow you to magnetically attach cases and accessories.

Sounds like mechanical watch owners worst nightmare to me! An iPhone in your trouser pocket is literally right next to where your wrist hangs all day long. What do you think?

Journeyman
    I’m with you. I already get wary when holding my iPad Pro with my left hand (watch side).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Not really - maybe though for other parts of your anatomy as it’s now tuned to microwave

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not really - maybe though for other parts of your anatomy as it’s now tuned to microwave
    4g is also "microwave". Nobody's balls got fried.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    4g is also "microwave". Nobody's balls got fried.
    Going way off topic - https://modernfertility.com/blog/sperm/. Maybe they have.

But On the topic of phones and watches - apply the inverse square rule and your watch should be ok - also many watches are immune to magnetic fields now

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Going way off topic - https://modernfertility.com/blog/sperm/. Maybe they have.

But On the topic of phones and watches - apply the inverse square rule and your watch should be ok - also many watches are immune to magnetic fields now
    Many modern watches may be but what about all the vintage or lower cost watches? Could it also wipe magnetic strips off old credit cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Could it also wipe magnetic strips off old credit cards?
    Possibly, but are there any credit cards that still have a magnetic strip? They're all chip'n'pin now, I think.

I remember the bad old days of retail, using carbon paper credit card slips and the clonky matchine that took an impression of the raised letters on the card!

Blog Entries
    Many modern watches may be but what about all the vintage or lower cost watches? Could it also wipe magnetic strips off old credit cards?
    i have a card holder with a strong magnet in it to hold notes, used to ruin my rail card back in the day.

I think the magnets have to be pretty strong to upset a mechanical watch. Don’t modern Rolex watches have something that protects against magnetic forces?

Is the iPhone 12 going to be kryptonite for mechanical watch owners?

Ha, that’s one way to push Apple Watches... the wallet thing has a shield on (for cards) I think, so just buy that case and should be fine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Possibly, but are there any credit cards that still have a magnetic strip? They're all chip'n'pin now, I think.

I remember the bad old days of retail, using carbon paper credit card slips and the clonky matchine that took an impression of the raised letters on the card!
    I had to use one of those machines last year in a local pub when their internet went down - really took me back

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I'm probably totally wrong here but I thought they were still used for ATM withdrawals.

Good point. Apple seem to think so, because they emphasised that the MagSafe wallet had in-built protection to prevent the magnet wiping cards.

Interestingly though, I posted this over on WUS as well and somewhere there pointed out they'd been using an aftermarket magnetic case for years without any issues, so perhaps not such a big deal. Guess we won't know until we see how powerful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Good point. Apple seem to think so, because they emphasised that the MagSafe wallet had in-built protection to prevent the magnet wiping cards.

Interestingly though, I posted this over on WUS as well and somewhere there pointed out they'd been using an aftermarket magnetic case for years without any issues, so perhaps not such a big deal. Guess we won't know until we see how powerful it is.
    That's good to know that the Apple designers have thought of that. Also pointed out the card magnetic strip as its use is still common outside Europe. Lots of Asian countries have just transitioned to pin and chip but magnetic strip still common in North America.

I guess similar magnetic attachment points have been on macbooks and ipads for years and haven't really seen stories of them affecting watches. Unless you're putting your vintage watch up against your phone then it shouldn't be an issue, I hope!

Craftsman
    I have to say I lose track of iPhone releases! Must be getting old!

I'm due an upgrade of my phone from the 7 to the 12 and this has occurred to me.

I've had what I think are a few magnetisation issues with watches coming into contact with the Mous case on my phone, which had a magnet in the back. I've recently swapped the pocket I put my phone is as it was always in right pocket by my watch, which I wear on the right wrist.

It's not THAT strong a magnet. It can't stay on a magnetised "holder" in my car when you go over a small bump, so this new phone has got me a bit concerned.

Anyone got any updated information that can help me rest more easily in the days since the last post in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I'm due an upgrade of my phone from the 7 to the 12 and this has occurred to me.

I've had what I think are a few magnetisation issues with watches coming into contact with the Mous case on my phone, which had a magnet in the back. I've recently swapped the pocket I put my phone is as it was always in right pocket by my watch, which I wear on the right wrist.

It's not THAT strong a magnet. It can't stay on a magnetised "holder" in my car when you go over a small bump, so this new phone has got me a bit concerned.

Anyone got any updated information that can help me rest more easily in the days since the last post in this thread?
    I made the same thread over on WUS and there was a lot more replies/info there (the Americans love their iPhones!). Might be worth checking it out (same title).

The general consensus seemed to be that it won't be a problem unless you're directly putting the two in contact for prolonged periods. Someone drew a diagram, so I assume they knew what they were on about, but it's the internet so who knows really!