closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm Oyster, 18 ct Everose gold M126655-001

Blog Entries

Cool Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm Oyster, 18 ct Everose gold M126655-001

I think a watch I just picked up deserves a mention with its own thread - mainly because of its bonkers MRP and also because I am bonkers enough to buy one at retail. I hope this one will stay with me like the 5146J PP Annual Calendar. I have an affinity to PM (precious metal) watches and now am fortunate enough to own two such timepieces.

I speak of the M126655-001 Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everose gold.

Before I get on with the pictures of the new watch (feel free to skip this, if you are of a certain age where more than 280 characters leaves you bored, otherwise read on). A bit of history.

On this quest toward this model, it started a few years ago when I picked up a bi-metal YM 40 in autumn 2017

This is a fine 40mm YM and has elements of rose gold including the bezel and PCL. This model comes with the matt black dial that actually looks the same /similar as the 126655 except for the tell tail crown is missing between the "Swiss" and "Made" indicating the difference between the two movements, namely 3135 and 3235. I am sure readers are familiar with the newer movement. But for those not familiar, the 3135 has been around since 1988 and is a well proven workhorse in the Rolex range, I suggest the new movement has yet to prove it is as reliable in the real-world and ease of serviceability also.

I found this comprehensive diff list of them both:

CALIBER 3135

• Debut Year: 1988
    • Power Reserve: 48 hours
    • Frequency: 28,800bph
    • Diameter: 28.50mm
    • Hairspring: Blue Parachrom
    • Escapement: Swiss Lever Escapement
    • Balance Staff: Riveted
    • Shock Absorber: KIF
    • Perpetual Rotor: Axle; Riveted two-piece
    • Barrel: Thicker barrel walls with shorter mainspring

CALIBER 3235

• Debut Year: 2015
    • Power Reserve: 70 hours
    • Frequency: 28,800bph
    • Diameter: 28.50mm
    • Hairspring: Blue Parachrom
    • Escapement: Chronergy Escapement with thinner pallet stones and double escape wheel teeth. 15% increased efficiency
    • Balance Staff: Friction-fit
    • Shock Absorbers: Paraflex
    • Perpetual Rotor: Ball-Bearing; Monobloc
    • Barrel: Thinner barrel walls with longer mainspring

What I can say is, I see superlative accuracies measured on my timegraph 1000 of this particular 3235 - can't really ask for more:

So - back to the journey! I ended up selling the YM 40 Steel and Rose on the forum - just the way it is (I'm sure you guys know). Then another rose and steel watch showed up on the list of Rolex watches that seemed to be what I was looking for and I bought this from an AD in April 2019, the Rolex CHNR (root beer):

This has the 3235 movement, ceramic inlay GMT dial in brown / black, steel gold bracelet. But... still this did not quite hit the spot. I kept it for over a year, not really wearing it much. It just didn't 'do' it for me, even though it was a beautiful and is one of the 'hot' Rolex on the unobtainium scale. This only just sold on SC and will be off to the new owner very soon - but I am getting ahead of myself.

So where to next? It is toward a watch I have seen a few times in various AD windows and even tried on at the end of last year. Each time I see the 126655 this watch smiles at me (as they do) each time I see it - and says 'Hi'. Last time I went to London this year (which I've only done twice), I popped into an AD on Old Bond St on the off chance to see if they had one. I saw they had a 37mm version in the window. They actually had one 40mm going out a customer and yes (heart leaping time), they said I could put a reserve on another one as they had available. I declined.

However, next morning, after sleeping on it, I rung them to put a refundable holding deposit on the watch.

I then had to plan to tell the wife I was wanting to spend £21,900 on a watch, while avoiding divorce proceedings. I had sold my AP ROO in preparation, so had that money in the 'watch fund' and if I sold the CHNR man maths calculated I had enough to purchase the YM with some spare cash to boot. Was she having it? Was she heck! She wanted a detailed account of all watch spending over the last three years and account for all watches still owned, produced as a P/L account with dates....

So that's what I did - and actually its a very sobering exercise to do. I now have (mostly) accurate accounts for 2018, 2019 and 2020. So she signed off on the purchase, wondering why I want this instead of the CHNR and other searching questions with no rational answer - she is actually my better half and does have my best interests at heart - she knows my habits. Anyway - enough of that..

Today I made my second journey to London in 2020 and purchased the:

Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Oyster, 18 ct Everose gold M126655-001

This has a solid 18 ct rose gold case, with bevelled bezel edge, crown, clasp and case back are all solid 18 ct rose gold too. It is one of the PM range of Rolex and therefore attracted a premium price. The unique bi-directional bezel is formed from black ceramic with polished ceramic numerals and indices.

It still is an Oyster case (hence the 'Professional' status) formed from a single piece of gold with a gold screw down case back, with triple lock crown on the crown. It is waterproof to 100m / 330ft

Couple of features stand out for me - the OysterFlex bracelet which in this edition 12665, compared to the 11665 and it comes on folding Oysterlock folding clasp with Glidelock clasp (instead of Easylink) system so allows for a 15mm range of adjustment with 2.5mm increments (the Easylink had less adjustments and definitely less easy to adjust except for the 5mm Easylink change). The strap / bracelet has 'fins' on the underside to stop the watch head rotating while being worn and generally help comfort.

The 3235 movement is the latest in the Rolex lineup - so future proofs this edition - see specifications above.

I really adore the case shape on the YM and especially on this gold version. This is a stand out difference for me.

Not a sharp edge in site. Quite sensuous to the touch. Putting on this Yacht Master watch is very much like making love to a beautiful woman (I'll let you complete the rest).

And here is that clasp

and crown showing the triple lock symbol

What do you want from a watch?

Something to make you smile, something to tell the time accurately, something to enjoy for a long time. Can some watches be priceless? I think so.

Yes, it comes with 5 year warranty from Rolex, but WoS supplied an additional 5 yr warranty which gives a warm feeling - and anytime I want the wrt tested they said to pop into and they would check it for free. I also got a bottle of Champagne and a possible place on 'the list' - we will see what that turns up in due course.

One happy customer.

A final picture

Thanks for reading if you got this far!! In any case I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

E&O excepted

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th October 2020 at 23:52.

Great story Martyn as always and pictures that was quite the enjoyable read!

I don’t know to be more impressed by the serious movement in watches (all great pieces) or the fact you managed to negotiate your wife through all of this (equally as impressive!)

Nice one!

S

Outstanding, Martyn.
    Lovely write-up and back story

And fair play for SWMBO in supporting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Congrats Martyn excellent pick up

enjoy it !

Craftsman
    Fabulous watch and great story on the journey to a fine piece.

December gone I also saw the 37mm version in an AD window and trotted in to see if they had the 40, which was retrieved from behind a wall with a door in.

Tried it on and thought it was just as good as I hoped but declined to buy due to pending house purchase (currently in flight with solicitors).

Big regret and just prior to price rise too.

Master
    Congrats Martyn, I like the fact that when you set your mind on it, you go for it. No dilly dallying.

No doubt you’ll be publishing you p&l accounts in full for the last 3 years

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    No doubt you’ll be publishing you p&l accounts in full for the last 3 years
    not a chance - but P/L wasn’t too bad - the turnover was horrifying

Me 116655 is one of my favourite watches

It just wears really nice and I describe it as a rose gold sub on a rubber strap.

The new updated clasp one you have is even better with tool free setting
    Last edited by alanski; 14th October 2020 at 00:04.

Interesting read and lovely watch. As for the beautiful woman I imagine you made the comparison as putting the watch on also takes less than a minute? :)

Craftsman
    What a great read and story. Hats off to your good lady. The watch is a stunner!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Great post Martyn, hope you enjoy the watch.

I put mine on last weekend after we spoke in the week and wondered why I contemplating selling it?

The only Rolex I’ve received positive comments on in many years of many watches..

Master
    Great write up and great watch. Many congratulations and enjoy for years to come.

Master
    A very nice read and fantastic photos. I particularly like the touch of the PM font colour used :)

Steve

Congratulations Martyn, a lovely looking watch.👍

Are you now closer to deciding on what watches to keep when you depart these shores for Portugal?

Best looking modern Rolex of the lot, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Great story Martyn! Enjoyed the journey enjoy

Lovely watch. I had the pleasure of holding one of these in the flesh late last year when Alanski (above) called at mine to pick something up and was wearing the same Watch. I think the 'rubber bracelet' tones down the blingyness if I can say that, making it a far more attractive watch than if it had a matching gold bracelet.

Enjoy, very nice indeed.

Congratulations Martyn, I knew you must have had something special lined up to let the CHNR go, I really like the Rose Gold YM on rubber, to me it oozes class/elegance in an under stated way better than most other Gold watches I can think of. I’ve been tempted myself before and if they ever make it 42mm like the White Gold version I’ll definitely pick one up as on my wrist the 40mm always looked too small.
    Last edited by shalako; 14th October 2020 at 09:39.

Journeyman
    In wild broad brush strokes... I'm not usually a fan of precious metal watches, but that is a really great looking watch.

Have you any intention of trying it on a different bracelet /strap? I think the one it's on is excellent, so not asking out of any suggestion that you should, but rather if you've any ideas for a strap? I think it could be a hard one to get right?

Edit, ps, the conversation with the wife is probably the main reason I haven't dipped my toe in rolex waters yet... Even a submariner no date (where I'd probably go) would be an extremely difficult sell (grand seiko, omega etc can just appear and disappear without any notice, but the rolex would undoubtedly be noticed and questions asked..... Fair play to you for being honest and upfront about that, I wonder how many are)
    Last edited by Bigmac; 14th October 2020 at 09:28.

Master
    Good looking watch and a nice size on the wrist.
    Not much tyre kicking either-job done.
    Scary stuff having to justify to the Mrs though-I'd never let mine near that sort of insider information.

Master

Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm Oyster, 18 ct Everose gold M126655-001

So, very precise. Ive never measured or checked mine but it seems fine. I agree that the shape of the case is elegant, curvy and quite slim. In fact, similar to a Daytona rather than the proper dive models. That is why you only get 10atm. Quite enough. It has reminded me that slim watches are especially nice to wear.
    I think it’s important to get an up to date version...which is why buying new makes sense. That way you get the proper adjustable clasp, which this model really needs. I don’tt understand why Rolex took five years to get round to this upgrade.
    Anyway, after six months with the 42mm I’m very pleased and won’t be changing. Interesting that most people prefer rose gold; it was the absence of a white gold model that stopped me buying one years ago. Just prefer the ˜stealth look. I’m a white gold guy.
    Now,can I suggest you try and keep this one Martyn, it deserves it. More handsome, to me, than the two-tone .
    And, for those who have never made the comparison, here is the white gold 42. Note that the red writing is dropped to preserve the dark, sombre and formal look.Although the family resemblance is unmistakable.

I’d love to know the relative sales figures, but , of course, we will never be told. One other, trivial , point. Your 40mm model is £21,900 and the 42mm is just £1200 more; so they don’t seem to think the amount of gold in the bigger case amounts to much!
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th October 2020 at 10:25.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Now,can I suggest you try and keep this one Martyn, it deserves it .

Thanks Steve - indeed I plan to keep this one for a long time.

gbn13
    Congratulations Martyn, a lovely looking watch.

Are you now closer to deciding on what watches to keep when you depart these shores for Portugal?
    I plan to take all my watches with me. But definitely these will survive:

PP 5146J
    VC 4500V
    Rolex 126655
    Rolex Air-King-Date (from 1978)
    Omega X-33 MKII

The others - well... we will see

Thanks for the other comments - I will let SWMBO let you know!

On the wrist:

I quite like that. A bit of understated bling.

Mitch

Master
    Many congratulations on the new purchase i was gutted I couldn’t get to try your rose gold Gmt but very much enjoyed reading your story, the rose gold Everest is a beauty I miss mine terribly but the wife assures me bricks and mortar was the better investment!

Master
    Great write up and enjoy in good health (something vital these days!)!

Master
    Beautiful looking watch and the new glidelock clasp makes it perfect.
    I toyed with chopping 2 of mine to buy the earlier version but never went through with it, this makes me think again.
    Enjoy!

Apprentice

I adore this watch and it's one I yearn after.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott88 View Post
    Great story Martyn! Enjoyed the journey enjoy

Congratulations Martyn - I'm green with envy.
    What a wonderful account and I love the logic and the story of how you've got to your 'final' destination.
    I'd love this exact watch but not something I've managed to achieve just yet.

Great story.
    Bruce.

Craftsman
    Good read great watch! The watch I miss the most and shouldn’t have sold !