closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: Keeping watches at home

  1. #1
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310

    Keeping watches at home

    Given the T&Cs applied to most insurance policies how many of you keep on top of having an appropriately rated safe to store you watches, not worn at the time, when away from home?

    Iíve recently had to get some new valuations for a couple of my watches (insurer insists this be done every three years) and found the new valuations meant I was over the valuables rating for the safe.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    4,597
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Given the T&Cs applied to most insurance policies how many of you keep on top of having an appropriately rated safe to store you watches, not worn at the time, when away from home?

    Iíve recently had to get some new valuations for a couple of my watches (insurer insists this be done every three years) and found the new valuations meant I was over the valuables rating for the safe.
    It's all down to probabilities of a scrote getting into your safe and running off with your watch.

    My safe is years out of date, so I am not insured. However I am insured when wearing the watch in my home or anywhere in the world. But I MUST be wearing the watch so I am only insuring myself against being mugged.

    Returning to the safe, It took 3 men of gorilla proportions half an hour to get the safe into my house and now it is bolted down with an 1/2" raw plug onto a concrete floor. It is a solid 2" thick steel job and no one is going to get into it. So I am prepared to stay with it and still feel safe.

    In a way I think I am self insuring against theft but the chances of a scrote running off with my watches must be almost non existent. Thus I can sleep easily in my bed.

  3. #3
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310
    Mine, to date, was a pretty basic affair but acquisitions over the past three years have driven up the value therein. Space inside is now a little tight too.

    I guess on that latter part alone I plan to look for something bigger and future proof it at the same time.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    3,734
    There are people who, when going on holiday or simply not wearing a valuable watch for whatever reason, will put them into a respectable pawnbroker for a loan of perhaps £100. This will usually then see their watch kept in appropriate, commercial safes that comply with their home insurance which typically extends to these circumstances.

    Some will borrow as little as £10, but there are technical reasons why it may be better not to borrow less than £100.

    Safe storage may then be enjoyed for perhaps £7.50 a month.

    H

  5. #5
    ^^^^


    Good tip.


    Mitch

  6. #6
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,204
    Blog Entries
    19

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    356
    I don't have contents insurance, and mostly keep my watches on the bathroom window ledge. I live in a shared house with like 5 other people. Different worlds.

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's all down to probabilities of a scrote getting into your safe and running off with your watch.

    My safe is years out of date, so I am not insured. However I am insured when wearing the watch in my home or anywhere in the world. But I MUST be wearing the watch so I am only insuring myself against being mugged.

    Returning to the safe, It took 3 men of gorilla proportions half an hour to get the safe into my house and now it is bolted down with an 1/2" raw plug onto a concrete floor. It is a solid 2" thick steel job and no one is going to get into it. So I am prepared to stay with it and still feel safe.

    In a way I think I am self insuring against theft but the chances of a scrote running off with my watches must be almost non existent. Thus I can sleep easily in my bed.

    This doesn't apply to me as I've nothing really in my house worth going to the trouble of getting a safe to keep.... But I guess one thing that occurs to me is that if someone broke in and found a safe they might be tempted to then force you to open it? Or return or whatever... Do you have it well hidden?

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    4,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    This doesn't apply to me as I've nothing really in my house worth going to the trouble of getting a safe to keep.... But I guess one thing that occurs to me is that if someone broke in and found a safe they might be tempted to then force you to open it? Or return or whatever... Do you have it well hidden?
    If they put a gun to your head, you would be well advised to open any safe or show them where the jewellery is kept. However the chances of that happening are remote indeed.

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If they put a gun to your head, you would be well advised to open any safe or show them where the jewellery is kept. However the chances of that happening are remote indeed.
    Of course, and agreed unlikely as presumably it is drug addicts rather than master minds that are carrying out casual burglaries. I guess my point is that a safe needs to be well hidden presumably? I'm sure the discovery of a massive safe is the kind of info that would be passed on to to others?

    Sorry off topic here and I'll leave it at that, guess I'm just asking do people ideally have a safe installed as part of some building work where it can be reasonably well hidden

  11. #11
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310
    Thereís no stipulation in my insurance that my safe needs to be hidden, just appropriately rated and fastened down. Oddly my bike insurance has no requirement for them to be locked but they cannot be visible from outside.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    4,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    I'm sure the discovery of a massive safe is the kind of info that would be passed on to to others?
    That is something I have never thought about and it is a good point.

  13. #13
    My contents covers up to £15k single article and no need for a safe or any of that malarkey.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310

    Keeping watches at home

    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    My contents covers up to £15k single article and no need for a safe or any of that malarkey.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who are you insured with? Is it not likely to have reduced premiums with additional safeguards / precautions?
    Last edited by SydR; 14th October 2020 at 20:06.

  15. #15
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Hove East Sussex
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Mine, to date, was a pretty basic affair but acquisitions over the past three years have driven up the value therein. Space inside is now a little tight too.

    I guess on that latter part alone I plan to look for something bigger and future proof it at the same time.
    You must have an awful lot of watches if you running out of space in a safe.
    The watches can go in pouches, The papers could also go in the safe, but I wouldn't bother putting the boxes in there.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    There are people who, when going on holiday or simply not wearing a valuable watch for whatever reason, will put them into a respectable pawnbroker for a loan of perhaps £100. This will usually then see their watch kept in appropriate, commercial safes that comply with their home insurance which typically extends to these circumstances.

    Some will borrow as little as £10, but there are technical reasons why it may be better not to borrow less than £100.

    Safe storage may then be enjoyed for perhaps £7.50 a month.

    H
    Interesting Haywood I had never thought of using a Pawnbroker if going away for an extended period of time.

    Can you elaborate why for technical reasons it may be better not to borrow less than £100?
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 14th October 2020 at 20:37.

  17. #17
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310

    Keeping watches at home

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    You must have an awful lot of watches if you running out of space in a safe.
    The watches can go in pouches, The papers could also go in the safe, but I wouldn't bother putting the boxes in there.
    Fairly small safe, 12 litre capacity.

    I got a very, very, good deal on job lot of the Rolex service boxes, aka coffins, a few years ago and use them to store all £1k+ watches in them whilst in the safe. Paper go in too but boxes sit elsewhere. Thereís also a number of jewellery items, rings stored in small boxes, necklaces stored in sleeves. It all mounts up and fills space quickly.

    Iíve dymo labelled up all the coffins so its easy to find the one I want.

    Current insurer wants every item, valued over £1k, we want covered inside and outside the home itemised and stored in a safe when they are left a home whilst its unoccupied. I would change but we did have a claim whilst with them about 10 years ago are they handled it brilliantly, paying out in 5 days.
    Last edited by SydR; 14th October 2020 at 20:58.

  18. #18
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Fleet
    Posts
    20
    I struggled getting decent insurance on my watches and ended up striking a deal with a local jeweller who has a safe like Fort Knox. I buy him a few beers during the month and he stores and has them insured for me. Saves me having to worry about them being left in my house.

  19. #19
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Hove East Sussex
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post

    Current insurer wants every item, valued over £1k, we want covered inside and outside the home itemised and stored in a safe when they are left a home whilst its unoccupied. I would change but we did have a claim whilst with them about 10 years ago are they handled it brilliantly, paying out in 5 days.
    If they are not giving you the cover that you want or need then find someone who will.
    There are plenty of good insurers out there, would you keep with the same car insurer because they handled a claim you had 10 years ago?
    I have learnt that any idea of customer loyalty meaning anything went out the window long ago.

  20. #20
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    If they are not giving you the cover that you want or need then find someone who will.
    There are plenty of good insurers out there, would you keep with the same car insurer because they handled a claim you had 10 years ago?
    I have learnt that any idea of customer loyalty meaning anything went out the window long ago.
    I havenít been with them throughout those 10 years. I only moved back to them around three years ago when I moved home and they provided the best overall cover at a sensible price and havenít screwed me over on the two renewals since.

  21. #21
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Hove East Sussex
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I haven’t been with them throughout those 10 years. I only moved back to them around three years ago when I moved home and they provided the best overall cover at a sensible price and haven’t screwed me over on the two renewals since.
    Fair enough, from your original post it looked like looked like you were saying you had been with them since the claim.

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    3,734
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Interesting Haywood I had never thought of using a Pawnbroker if going away for an extended period of time.

    Can you elaborate why for technical reasons it may be better not to borrow less than £100?
    I suppose more important would be that I forbid anyone from doing this with a "buy-back" store. The lack of regulatory and legislative protections in place for them put their clients in a much worse position, typically their terms are only about a month long and they should be avoided. Pawnbrokers, on the other hand, will be authorised and [incredibly rigorously] regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    The £100 suggestion relates to the thresholds that typically require letters to be sent before an item is sold if not redeemed and determine whether the item of unredeemed remains your property until sold. Essentially, these won't apply provided you remember to reclaim your watch(es) before the expiry of the original contract. There are plenty of clients who are confident enough that they will remember, and thus borrow only £10. Let us hope that their beloved are aware of what they have done, lest anything should happen to them.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 15th October 2020 at 09:20.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Let us hope that their beloved are aware of what they have done, lest anything should happen to them.
    Are you languorously stroking a white cat as you type this?

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,049
    I'm curious is the breaking and entering of homes very common in the UK? There have been quite a few threads about this over the years and just reading it seems like a problem. I'm thinking though it's just the smaller forum making it look that way?

    Yes, we have do have the occasional B&E over here it's not very common where I live and could be considered rare but it does happen. I do live in a suburban town that is not close to a city which helps that and my neighbors have nothing better to do than watch every happening in the neighborhood which makes it even safer.

  25. #25
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Hove East Sussex
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I'm curious is the breaking and entering of homes very common in the UK? There have been quite a few threads about this over the years and just reading it seems like a problem. I'm thinking though it's just the smaller forum making it look that way?

    Yes, we have do have the occasional B&E over here it's not very common where I live and could be considered rare but it does happen. I do live in a suburban town that is not close to a city which helps that and my neighbors have nothing better to do than watch every happening in the neighborhood which makes it even safer.

    The risk depends very much on where you live, plus of course in the UK we are not allowed to shoot people who enter our property uninvited

  26. #26


    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  27. #27
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I'm curious is the breaking and entering of homes very common in the UK? There have been quite a few threads about this over the years and just reading it seems like a problem. I'm thinking though it's just the smaller forum making it look that way?

    Yes, we have do have the occasional B&E over here it's not very common where I live and could be considered rare but it does happen. I do live in a suburban town that is not close to a city which helps that and my neighbors have nothing better to do than watch every happening in the neighborhood which makes it even safer.
    Where I live the area is covered with CCTV which was upgraded last year and is of high quality. We also have security entry and a concierge. B&E is therefore not common at all round here and that is reflected in the insurance premiums.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I'm curious is the breaking and entering of homes very common in the UK? There have been quite a few threads about this over the years and just reading it seems like a problem. I'm thinking though it's just the smaller forum making it look that way?

    Yes, we have do have the occasional B&E over here it's not very common where I live and could be considered rare but it does happen. I do live in a suburban town that is not close to a city which helps that and my neighbors have nothing better to do than watch every happening in the neighborhood which makes it even safer.
    America, such a crime free paradise.

    "The Bureau of Justice Statistics says that the average number of yearly burglaries in the US is 3.7 million. This means that, on an average day, 10,137 burglaries occur."

    In the UK the yearly average is decreasing to about 410,000. Burglary is decreasing generally, although within that, there's been rises in burglary as a means for vehicle theft. Covid lockdown and working from home are likely to further decrease the rate.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,743
    I believe burglary and crime are low in many area of the UK. The fear of crime is excessive. I don’t insure my possessions (apart from the house!) and feel comfortable about that. Especially as insurance companies stack the odds strongly in their favour with unreasonable demands.
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th October 2020 at 09:15.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    portsmouth
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    America, such a crime free paradise.

    "The Bureau of Justice Statistics says that the average number of yearly burglaries in the US is 3.7 million. This means that, on an average day, 10,137 burglaries occur."

    In the UK the yearly average is decreasing to about 410,000. Burglary is decreasing generally, although within that, there's been rises in burglary as a means for vehicle theft. Covid lockdown and working from home are likely to further decrease the rate.
    Iím surprised the US is higher than the U.K. with the very real threat of the homeowner being armed there . I wonder if vacant property makes up a higher number of crimes in the US ?

    My car and motorbike keys are left in plain sight of anyone in the property ( not visible looking into any window ) . If someone is in my house I want them out with what they came for quickly , not looking for me or any family member to show them where keys are.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    3,734
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Are you languorously stroking a white cat as you type this?
    A pair of Countdown driving gloves and a love letter from Stephen Fry for the welcome use of that adverb!

    That outcome is not one which suits me. If a pledgor does not return to redeem their goods even after we have sent them a reminder letter, their property is sold but the proceeds are not automatically ours. We can recover only our loan capital, interest accrued and the costs of sale. So, if someone pawns a steel Rolex Daytona for just ten pounds and does not return, we have a legal obligation to realise fair market price for their watch and most of the proceeds may indeed go back to them / their estate.

    At a buy-back shop the rotters keep the lot.....

    Back to the white cat. I fear that Digby would eat her.

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post


    R
    Too late, they have already stolen his shoes and socks.

  33. #33
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    122
    As someone who has lived in both the US and the UK, I would say I think burglary seems to be more of a realistic concern in the UK. Obviously take this with a grain of salt - this is going to be limited to my own vary particular experience of the places I've lived in both countries. Clearly the overall number of burglaries in the US is worse. But my sense is that the US is probably much more bifurcated between cities - which have more crime, hence driving up the figures - and the suburbs/country where crime is far less common. I grew up in a suburb directly outside a city with quite a high crime rate; however there was very little crime to speak of where I lived, and I never knew anyone who got burgled.

    Part of the difference seems to be the police - outside of big cities, I think American police are better funded, have less to do (in suburbs/smaller areas at least) and take burglaries more seriously. I have been amazed that most of the burglaries I have heard about in the UK have gone unsolved, where people have struggled to get the police to come out promptly and take the crime seriously. This probably emboldens would-be burglars to try their luck more than in the U.S., especially where American homeowners (never mind police) could potentially own guns.

    Once again, please take this with a grain of salt as this is purely based on my own experience. Overall I would say the UK feels much safer to me due to the lack of hand guns, so that is clearly a major benefit in the UK's favor!

    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    America, such a crime free paradise.

    "The Bureau of Justice Statistics says that the average number of yearly burglaries in the US is 3.7 million. This means that, on an average day, 10,137 burglaries occur."

    In the UK the yearly average is decreasing to about 410,000. Burglary is decreasing generally, although within that, there's been rises in burglary as a means for vehicle theft. Covid lockdown and working from home are likely to further decrease the rate.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Who are you insured with? Is it not likely to have reduced premiums with additional safeguards / precautions?
    Marks and Spencer (I think they use Aviva) and there was no requirement to demonstrate security measures beyond confirming 5 lever locks and locking windows - so assume no reduction available if I have attack dogs with bees in their mouths, or other additional safeguards.
    It was also so cheap I wasnít rrrsed about getting another 5% off


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Hove East Sussex
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    America, such a crime free paradise.

    "The Bureau of Justice Statistics says that the average number of yearly burglaries in the US is 3.7 million. This means that, on an average day, 10,137 burglaries occur."

    In the UK the yearly average is decreasing to about 410,000. Burglary is decreasing generally, although within that, there's been rises in burglary as a means for vehicle theft. Covid lockdown and working from home are likely to further decrease the rate.
    You are not exactly comparing like for like though.
    You could also say that The USA has 5.5 times the population of the UK so they also have over 5 times the number of burglars.
    If you took a statistic of burglaries per square mile the US rate would be tiny compared to the UK.

    Lies, damn lies and statistics 😀

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,049
    I was only looking for honest replies as some have done above and felt the many threads posted on the subject couldn't be considered without context. I wasn't looking to start a "your country vs mine" type of response it's too bad some feel they need to drag every conversation to the BP.
    As an aside, the picture shown were of people standing against rioters not burglars coming through the front door so that's just a disingenuous post like usual.

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post


    R
    It's going off at a slight tangent, and I'm keen to sidestep politics entirely, but apropos of nothing, neither of those idiots have the faintest idea what they're doing with those guns.

    In the video, he sweeps his wife's body multiple times with the AR15, and she's holding that handgun like a water pistol, with her finger on the trigger the whole time she's waving it about.

  38. #38
    Master KavKav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    6,736
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    It's going off at a slight tangent, and I'm keen to sidestep politics entirely, but apropos of nothing, neither of those idiots have the faintest idea what they're doing with those guns.

    In the video, he sweeps his wife's body multiple times with the AR15, and she's holding that handgun like a water pistol, with her finger on the trigger the whole time she's waving it about.
    Good and valid comments, at least the guy has his finger out of the trigger guard so the wife looks the most dangerous prospect in that picture!
    Last edited by KavKav; 16th October 2020 at 07:17.

  39. #39
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,411
    Back on topic for a moment - I would strongly suggest that you consider changing your insurer, SydR.

    As with notenoughwrists, my policy also insures any individual item up to £15k, has no requirement for a safe and has no need for individual valuations. Itís AXA rather than M&S, but is a near-identical policy.

    The idea of getting (and paying for) individual valuations on 20-odd watches every year is not appealing!

    Simon

  40. #40
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,093
    Slight diversion but it is always worth a reminder to check that you are not storing the GPS location of your valuable property within the Exif metadata tags of images that you post online.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  41. #41
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Slight diversion but it is always worth a reminder to check that you are not storing the GPS location of your valuable property within the Exif metadata tags of images that you post online.
    Good reminder. How does one check this?

    Since this was discussed on a thread on here months ago, I now post screenshots on my photos instead of the photos themselves, on the basis this will remove any photo details. But Iíve never checked.

  42. #42
    If you're using a smartphone, most cameras have a setting to disable location tagging. You can also go to the phone's system preferences and enable location details for specific apps, only when they're active.

  43. #43
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,093
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Good reminder. How does one check this?

    Since this was discussed on a thread on here months ago, I now post screenshots on my photos instead of the photos themselves, on the basis this will remove any photo details. But I’ve never checked.
    A lot of photograph applications will display the Exif information (e.g. 'The Photo Investigator' on iPhone and 'Photos' on a Macbook), as will some hosting sites such as flickr ('Show Exif' button towards the bottom of the image viewing screen). 'Get Info' on a Mac OS will also display the metadata.

    As dkpw says, it is best to disable the location tagging at source.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  44. #44
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Back on topic for a moment - I would strongly suggest that you consider changing your insurer, SydR.

    As with notenoughwrists, my policy also insures any individual item up to £15k, has no requirement for a safe and has no need for individual valuations. Itís AXA rather than M&S, but is a near-identical policy.

    The idea of getting (and paying for) individual valuations on 20-odd watches every year is not appealing!

    Simon
    My current insurance requires revaluation of valuables worth in excess of £5k every three years not annually.

    There are more benefits than downsides with my current insurance. I was with AXA five to six years ago but some changes in their terms made then unsuitable for my situation.

  45. #45
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Lothian.
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    If you're using a smartphone, most cameras have a setting to disable location tagging. You can also go to the phone's system preferences and enable location details for specific apps, only when they're active.
    I have checked images I have uploaded on other forums and it appears that Tapatalk strips out Exif data during the upload.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I have checked images I have uploaded on other forums and it appears that Tapatalk strips out Exif data during the upload.
    Good to hear, makes things a lot simpler.

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Good and valid comments, at least the guy has his finger out of the trigger guard so the wife looks the most dangerous prospect in that picture!
    Really needs a red dot sight on AR15, using iron sights isn't that straightforward to get a quick sight picture on miscreants

  48. #48
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Returning to the safe, It took 3 men of gorilla proportions half an hour to get the safe into my house and now it is bolted down with an 1/2" raw plug onto a concrete floor. It is a solid 2" thick steel job and no one is going to get into it. So I am prepared to stay with it and still feel safe.

    In a way I think I am self insuring against theft but the chances of a scrote running off with my watches must be almost non existent. Thus I can sleep easily in my bed.
    The safe is only as strong as the person who holds the key. If a couple of guys point a shotgun at you and say, "open the safe" what are you going to do?

  49. #49
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    14,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The safe is only as strong as the person who holds the key. If a couple of guys point a shotgun at you and say, "open the safe" what are you going to do?
    ĎMy wife has the keyí
    Cheers..
    Jase

  50. #50
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,237
    I have a watch box of cheapish watches out in easy view with the logic that they will grab these from the middle floor (I'm on the top) and think that these are the watches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information