closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Q Timex vs Hodinkee

Master

Q Timex vs Hodinkee

Hodinkee look to be on safer ground with this one, a clean looking and affordable Q Timex edition with more than a hint of Polar Explorer. No doubt it will sell out in five minutes. I can’t help wishing it had lugs and a different bracelet, but perhaps that’s just wishing it was actually an Explorer and missing the point.

Last edited by Itsguy; 13th October 2020 at 17:15.

Like it.

It seems odd to me that so many people lament a vintage-style watch having vintage styling cues - especially the bracelet, which (FWVLIW) is my favourite part. I found it delightfully slinky and comfy to wear on the Q79 I had, and no hair pulling - albeit I'm not as fuzzy as some folk...

Master
    Don't personally like the lume on the white dial. But I do like that their Hodinkee editions, if a little predictable in their arrival nowadays, always lean towards the enthusiast (or at least the stereotype). In this case - no date, steel bezel instead of the aluminium and generally cleaned up execution.

I picked up the Pepsi Q several months ago and that daft little Timex has barely left my wrist since. I love it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    It seems odd to me that so many people lament a vintage-style watch having vintage styling cues - especially the bracelet, which (FWVLIW) is my favourite part.
    I’m not against vintage styling, I like what Timex are doing with their back catalogue and this is a tasteful tweak. Perhaps it’s because their playful designs refer to watches with different bracelets, that I find myself wondering how it would look on something else. I’m a fan of 70s watches like the Oysterquartz though.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’m not against vintage styling, I like what Timex are doing with their back catalogue and this is a tasteful tweak. Perhaps it’s because their playful designs refer to watches with different bracelets, that I find myself wondering how it would look on something else. I’m a fan of 70s watches like the Oysterquartz though.
    Fair enough, my response was referencing the inordinate number of people I've seen complaining about the look of the bracelet ever since Timex started reissuing/reinterpreting the range. I suspect it'd look good on quite a range of straps, though limited to slimmer options.

Q Timex vs Hodinkee

I’ve not owned a white dialed watch for years and like this! Thank you for the heads up. Ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lammylee; 13th October 2020 at 20:53.

Q Timex vs Hodinkee

There are already 3 for sale on EBay ranging from £300-£399. Quite optimistic considering none have been shipped and they are still available to buy for under £200 direct.

Waiting for mine to arrive!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    Waiting for mine to arrive!

Me too, also they sold out this afternoon.

I managed to get one ordered, just looked again and they still appear to be in stock? Well it’s letting me add one to the basket.

Master
    They seem to be sold out again.

Must admit, I’m quite impressed.

https://i.imgur.com/jLrKdeA.jpg

Mine arrived today. Quite fun although there’s a dust spec on the dial. For the price though it’s nice.

Apprentice
    Mines sat at a UPS pickup point. I’ll nip out and pick it up this afternoon.
    I love the look of the Q Timex but don’t like the day/date so this was an instant yes for me. Looking forward to getting hold of it.

got mine this morning with £40 customs charge grrrrr. Nice watch though.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mine arrived. Had to pay £34 to UPS for VAT etc. The watch is 'meh'. Off to evilbay no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Mine arrived. Had to pay £34 to UPS for VAT etc. The watch is 'meh'. Off to evilbay no doubt.
    Agree. Looks rather plain in real world pics. They should have gone with creamier hands and the plots.

Nice enough watch, but looks a little anaemic compared to the character of the red/blue reissue model, particularly the blue dial & bezel surround.

I toyed with selling my red/blue reissue, then starting wearing it more, before recently gifting it to a friend - at which point I then couldn't help but keep noticing how good it looked on his wrist, and immediately missed it. Such is life. I'll pick-up another sometime.

Incidentally, I got an e-mail yesterday from Timex to advise they are offering 20% off certain models from their website (not the Q reissues, unfortunately) with the code 'AUTUMN20'.

Journeyman

Q Timex vs Hodinkee

Mine arrived today as well, accompanied by the usual customs charges.

I really quite like it, surprisingly so actually. But the bracelet is really, really bad - I’’ll barely have any hair left on my arm at this rate!

Has anyone tried a different bracelet on one of these Timex Q re-issues?

I can’t get behind the hodinkee editions anymore. I think since pulvrient joined the team after the buy-in the site has been obviously aimed at accelerating people’s watch tastes towards what they can make money from. I know it’s a business but it’s feels a little too cynical.

I do love the way it’s been simplified, they had to change the movement and totally change the the dial to make this work.
    It’s not like they have just slapped the name HODINKEE on the dial to sell it, they took a few risks with the design so hats off to them.

Not a fan, prefer the standard versions. Didn't realise they'd started doing a root beer version!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    That root beer is ace.

Can't find that version on their website

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Showing for me

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    https://www.timex.co.uk/q-timex-reis...let-Watch.html

Rose Gold Tone/Black option under the price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Hodinkee photography is exceptional so the chances of meh reaction in real life is high given expectations, compare with below normal photo I found on insta

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Hodinkee photography is exceptional so the chances of meh reaction in real life is high given expectations, compare with below normal photo I found on insta

For what little it matters, that's not the same model at-all - being a quartz day/date with bordered indices.