closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eyesight - Banding

Eyesight - Banding

Some of the websites if read use white text on a black background. After reading text on these for a while, I return to what I call a normal site, i.e. black text on a white background, I get what I can best describe as banding in my vision, narrow dark lines. This goes on for some minutes.

I have been wearing specs for the last 30 years, the last ten in varifocals.

Is this a cause for concern?

Master
    What does your optician say?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a form of afterimage effect?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What does your optician say?
    I am trying to avoid them unless I have to!

Craftsman
    Might be the way the eye is made up in the retina with rods and cones, used to be a colour copier engineer and on a training course we had some really cool stuff to look at and when stared at for a period of time and then immediately look at something else, you would see some strange effects until the eyes became accustomed to normal.

Thanks a lot for the answers.

This thread needs David L

Master
    You rang?
    It does sound like afterimages so no need for concern.
    If you look at anything vaguely bright and look away at a duller, plain background you will be able to see, quite clearly, the initial image, sometimes for a surprisingly long time. It does fade gradually.
    It's a cones thing, not really rods as in any "normal" lighting situation they are bleached completely.
    You "see" by your eyes oscillating slightly all the time to keep restimulating patches of retinal receptors with the same image. If this didn't happen you would initially see an image but then it would just fade away. Cone pigments need to regenerate so you use ones very close by to maintain the image and then back to the first set etc. Your brain fuses it all together to give you a continuous image. If you keep looking at the same image, text in this case, especially with high contrast, you will see an afterimage of the same thing but usually reversed as the pigments regenerate. So black text on a white background you will see as white text on a black background for a while but only if you look at a plain area, say a wall or sheet of paper, afterwards. It does always happen but it will get hidden by a patterned image.

David

Excellent. Thank you very much.