closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Slightly yellow coating on glasses?

Slightly yellow coating on glasses?

I've just got a some new lenses in my existing frames from a new optician and the day after collecting I noticed everything is slightly yellow in them. I wasn't sure so called them up and they have said because I chose the top lenses these have a slight yellow coating which isn't immediately obvious. It's meant to help with white light and with driving at night.

Has anyone else got this on their glasses and does it help with anything? I've driven at night twice since getting them and if a headlight is right in my eye I can see a tiny spec of blue in each eye.

If it helps the optician was Costco and the lens is Zeiss. I thought I would save money by going to Costco but no, still £600 for 2x glasses and 2x sunglasses - lenses only. They've offered to swap the lenses for the mid spec lens which is apparently less yellow or the basic lens which doesn't have any yellow at all but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I can't get the better quality lens without getting a yellow tint?

Also I could be completely stupid but if light gets through the back of the lens it seems to go blue. I think this is what's happening when driving at night -- the light from headlights is reflecting off my eye and causing me to see bits of blue. Pic attached.

Maybe opticians are another case of better the devil you know.

Most quality lenses have an anti reflective coating on them now, both my pairs do. Thats what it looks like to me in the picture. It does work to a degree but its not life changing. My most recent pair also have a slight yellow tint, its not noticeable when worn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a pair of yellow tinted 'night driving glasses' - other than the yellow tint (quite obvious in this case) I didn't find they made any appreciable difference to nightime visibility.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    I used nighthawks for a while while driving big distances some years back - I found them most useful at dusk and in slightly foggy conditions. The physics seemed quite straightforward when I checked them out and they worked for me.

B

Shoulda gone to Specsavers !!!

Wileeeey Boots offered me the driving tint and it is really helpful when the sun is low. It's quite a bit more expensive.

Not sure about the blue glare you're getting though.

Might be worth asking another optician to check them in case it's a faulty batch.

Looks like a blue light filter. I have it on two pairs of varifocals. It’s supposed to filter out blue light from phones, TVs and various screens that can interrupt sleep and cause headaches. The jury is out as to whether this can be proved but I find them helpful as, like most of us, I use various devices that emit blue light.
    To look at, the lens has a noticeable blue hue and to look through they do make everything slightly less bright and calmer somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread needs DavidL

Master
    Very hi index lenses can be a bit yellow but you only tend to notice if you hold then against a white piece of paper. The blue control lenses are really quite yellow (they want to absorb the blue light so they will be) and they have a bright blue MAR coating. Personally we don;t sell them as they look daft and frankly do sweet bugger all to actually help anything. They won't do you any harm mind.
    The floating blue dot is interesting. We had one pair from a major manufacturer where this was really apparent. We remade them a couple of times but no real improvement. The best fix was to change the coating to one of the new drive coatings as they tend to be red.
    I think in your case I'd be inclined to ask them to change them for a comparable product but from a different manufacturer - Hoya, essilor or nikon.

This is my attempt at showing the tint/tinge. I don't drive a lot, let alone at night, and didn't ask for anything to help with XYZ specifically.

The difference in colour is barely there in the pictures. I only notice it when I first put them off or when I take them off.

The bit that's really confusing me, apart from why you'd give them to someone without at least saying "hey they'll be a bit yellow but the benefits are ABC", is why there's a blue reflection. I can definitely see this when driving at night (a dot in each eye) when another car's headlights directly. It moves around a bit as cars move and drive by me. I don't see how this helps when driving. The guy who served me compared it to the rear view mirror on posh cars being yellow to block out harsh light. I've never seen one of those mirrors with blue spots.

I think I'm either going to ask for different lenses or a complete refund and go back to David Clulow but if I'm being idiot and this is what people get these days I'll stick with it.

Sorry for the boring thread!

Master
    They do look very blue which leads me to think they are a blue light coating which is why they look that yellow. I don't think I can recall anyone commenting on any lenses I have sent out looking yellow even though if you look closely they are very slightly. One member of staff tried the prevencia coating when it came out but it wasn't for them and we didn't like any on that sort of product.
    Zeiss do this
    https://www.zeiss.co.uk/vision-care/...ueprotect.html
    What does the receipt say?
    I don't use any zeiss lenses but things like essilor sapphire (also blue but not that BLUE), nikon seecoat + or hoya hi vision longlife are all excellent " normal" MAR coatings.

Journeyman
    I have anti glare coating on my glasses. They all have a blue / green tint to them. Apparently it helps with things like headlights etc. It does work for me as I have astigmatism so adjusting from headlight glare back to the dark takes longer than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    They do look very blue which leads me to think they are a blue light coating which is why they look that yellow. I don't think I can recall anyone commenting on any lenses I have sent out looking yellow even though if you look closely they are very slightly. One member of staff tried the prevencia coating when it came out but it wasn't for them and we didn't like any on that sort of product.
    Zeiss do this
    https://www.zeiss.co.uk/vision-care/...ueprotect.html
    What does the receipt say?
    I don't use any zeiss lenses but things like essilor sapphire (also blue but not that BLUE), nikon seecoat + or hoya hi vision longlife are all excellent " normal" MAR coatings.
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Receipts attached with a close up of one of them in case Tapatalk lessens the quality.

My wife has just told me that she can see a blue reflection in the glasses when she's looking at me but only when the lights are on and reflecting off the glasses. She took a picture of me when we were talking and 30% of one lens is blue and about 10% of the other.

Interesting, my lenses have blue AR and also a yellow tint to then when you look at something white through them. Not noticeable when wearing them though. From memory my lenses are Zeiss too, but I've had the glasses a couple of years now, but could be wrong on that.

Master
    So I think problem solved. You have Zeiss drivesafe lenses - hence the DS on the receipt. I'm not sure they can really justify charging you for 1.6 lenses on your Rx but they seemed cheap enough to be fair.
    And yes drivesafe lenses are yellow and have a very blue coating.
    Only way to get rid of this is to not have drivesafe lenses. They claim all sorts for these lenses
    https://www.zeiss.co.uk/vision-care/...r-driving.html

but in real life experiences it seems very much down to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    So I think problem solved. You have Zeiss drivesafe lenses - hence the DS on the receipt. I'm not sure they can really justify charging you for 1.6 lenses on your Rx but they seemed cheap enough to be fair.
    And yes drivesafe lenses are yellow and have a very blue coating.
    Only way to get rid of this is to not have drivesafe lenses. They claim all sorts for these lenses
    https://www.zeiss.co.uk/vision-care/...r-driving.html

but in real life experiences it seems very much down to the individual.
    Indeed they were the drive safe so both pairs are being changed to a lens without that coating. Thank you for the advice, it was really helpful. They suggested just changing one pair and not both so I'd have a pair for driving but we're happy in the end to change both. I still have no idea why you'd put that coating on without explaining or asking, very weird.