closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay and fakes . . . is this the way they will head in the near future?

Ebay and fakes . . . is this the way they will head in the near future?

Noticed on another forum that ebay are now doing a pretty in depth sneaker authentication process from next year whereby your shoes are sent to a third party for verification before being allowed to be sold. I think its a disaster waiting to happen for them but it would certainly be interesting to see if watches follow suit. There are so many fake watches on ebay - not sure how they would do it tbh

https://www.nicekicks.com/ebay-sneak...J9eUDxFrT7cNOw

Craftsman

Ebay and fakes . . . is this the way they will head in the near future?

I think I read on another forum that they’ve already been doing a soft launch of this for watches - a guy had bought a watch through the service and suspected the watch wasn’t right. Sadly the example tested ended up being an awful fake which would have been confirmed instantly if the third party had bothered to open the back.

Not sure I would be happy either paying for the service, accepting the longer lead time for delivery, having some third party of questionable skill open a watch i had either bought or sold.

Plus it’s an eBay service so you can guarantee poor comms and some element of unfairness built into the process.

Journeyman
    Think this has been live on ebay in the US for a while, its a free service, ebay remain vague on who the experts are though, link below

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee

Similar services have been available on trainers (sneakers) for a while through sites like StockX.

As has been highlighted on here it seems all levels of watches are fair game for being copies so if done properly it can only be a good thing.

It makes the selling process take longer, yes, but fakes are ruining the "industry", not to mention it can mess up someone's day (or year if we'd be talking of a very expensive watch) so I feel like it's a pretty interesting thing.

I hope that more measures are taken so that the amount of fakes slims down across all industries/domains.

A good thing overall of course.
    However, I notice it is for sneakers over $100 only. This means that the sellers of fake sneakers under that price can happily trade away to their hearts content, and so while I guess many buyers of very cheap fakes tend to assume what they are getting is fake and so are not being scammed, the fake trade is still being financed.
    I suppose if the process is applied to cheaper items the costs would make it unviable for genuine sellers and buyers of genuine cheaper items.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I like the idea of it and the security it lends, but eBay’s usual opaqueness makes it more fraught for me. I would not, for example, want anything I buy opening up and resealing to anything less than full specification if at all.

So to the masses it’s probably great but to more experienced buyers, it complicates things in my view.

Journeyman
    Agreed - I think it's a good idea for mass produced cheaper (£100-200) watches. But I wouldn't trust it for more expensive watches, or want unknown people interfering with expensive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by animaal View Post
    Agreed - I think it's a good idea for mass produced cheaper (£100-200) watches. But I wouldn't trust it for more expensive watches, or want unknown people interfering with expensive stuff.
    This is my thought which is interesting as it’s the opposite to the sneakers where they only check the more expensive ones

Master
    I've bought something from this site before https://www.vestiairecollective.com/

Obviously not watches but their selling feature is that they check items for authenticity before being sent onto the buyer. Obviously easier with clothes as no back to remove and I have no idea how good those that check the authenticity are!

Might however put people off selling fakes on that platform and someone to seek redress from if your item does turn out to be fake.

If they open the back to check the movement would that invalidate a warranty ?

Opening the back of a watch would mostly be ok, just factor in the cost of a resealable and pressure test when bidding as a lot of us would open it on arrival anyway to check, plus if it’s damaged or not working it would go back via PayPal anyway.
    If done properly it should be a good thing, I mean they can’t have monkeys doing it as they wouldn’t know what was fake or not anyway.

Given the paucity of people who can actually repair a watch, where would the large number of experts needed to perform these appraisals come from?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Given the paucity of people who can actually repair a watch, where would the large number of experts needed to perform these appraisals come from?
    Well exactly this. There must be literally hundreds of watch sales of a decent value every single day. The manpower to verify all those would be quite something to pull off

Craftsman
    Not just the man power, what about the equipment? As it stands now some watchmakers can’t pressure test many of the higher rates WR watches without special equipment. I doubt some third rate, cheap as possible eBay service can take the back off a Deepsea and pressure test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it could be a minefield. Even experts can disagree on whether some vintage watches are correct... and I bet their 'expert' won't be THAT expert.

Grand Master
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385601273...mis&media=COPY

Todays shocker

The famous non ceramic 8900 Cream dial PO
    RIAC