closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I need a new laptop, is this a good deal?

I need a new laptop, is this a good deal?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-EliteBoo...puters&sr=1-14

I hardly use a laptop now but Mrs L needs one to do online yoga and ours is slow and generally clogged up, any suggestions 500-600 quid?

I bought a refurbished Thinkpad T460 recently. There are loads of places that sell them. They are easily upgradable with regard to memory and ram and you can replace the batteries too...

I love mine and I nearly dropped over a grand on a dell... So glad I didn't. The Thinkpad was about £350.

YMMV.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    As above, thinkpad are rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post

I hardly use a laptop now but Mrs L needs one to do online yoga and ours is slow and generally clogged up, any suggestions 500-600 quid?
    It wasn't that great a deal 8 months ago when the same laptop was being offered on Amazon for £340 ;)
    What's online yoga? Is that just a streaming thing? If that's all you need a laptop for you don't need to spend anywhere close to £500. Or just unclog the old one.
    Anyway, keep an eye on hotukdeals: https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/laptop

If it's really only used for streaming yoga classes buy a £10 cable and cast it to your TV from a phone.

Chromecast? Not worth buying a laptop for and a Chromecast/Apple TV will probably be a better solution.

Craftsman
    What platform is the online yoga on?
    Is it a class on Zoom or Teams or similar or is it just a video stream on something like YouTube?
    What other tech do you have in the house, iPad or other tablet, smart tv, iPhone or Android phone?

I need a new laptop, is this a good deal?

I know nothing about computers but my son does and he recommend me to buy one of these from Amazon for my daughter. She’s happy and it works well. I also purchased the optional 2year warranty for £47.00 as he advised.

Last edited by Lammylee; 13th October 2020 at 07:37.

Honestly mate if you have a laptop which is mainly used for browsing the internet (ie not installing any Windows-specific programs for things like CAD, accounting, etc) then I'd get a Chromebook. No moving parts, lightweight operating system, free updates, designed to be a web-first system. You could halve that budget and the laptop will be faster in 5 years than a Windows one.

Agree with #9
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Honestly mate if you have a laptop which is mainly used for browsing the internet (ie not installing any Windows-specific programs for things like CAD, accounting, etc) then I'd get a Chromebook. No moving parts, lightweight operating system, free updates, designed to be a web-first system. You could halve that budget and the laptop will be faster in 5 years than a Windows one.
    /thread

Master
    Or just nuke it and re-install windows (or linux if you're into that kind of thing). If all you are doing is using it as a streaming client then spending £500 seems foolhardy when there are so many cheaper solutions.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    If it's really only used for streaming yoga classes buy a £10 cable and cast it to your TV from a phone.
    Really glad this is the fourth post, as this needs to be seen.

Casting video to a larger screens changes the whole experience of viewing. This is especially true for a yoga class where there are subtleties in the movement.

Get a Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku box, or Apple TV from Currys.

Way too pricey for my liking that.... I bought a few from this chap - 100% feedback and great VFM: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pcs4youal...88.m1543.l2654

there's an elitebook on there for £240.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Thanks, but that is too much tech for mrs Macneil, really

Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    What platform is the online yoga on?
    Is it a class on Zoom or Teams or similar or is it just a video stream on something like YouTube?
    What other tech do you have in the house, iPad or other tablet, smart tv, iPhone or Android phone?
    It's Zoom. My Iphone will play to the TV but honestly it's painful trying to get Mrs M to do anything in terms of upgrade or new tech.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I know nothing about computers but my son does and he recommend me to buy one of these from Amazon for my daughter. She’s happy and it works well. I also purchased the optional 2year warranty for £47.00 as he advised.

Thank you, I will take a look

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Yes, I really don't like windows, I'm not interested in any of its features, I just browse the web really, and Mrs M doesn't use one at all.
    But she loves yoga :)

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Master
    Yes, I really don't like windows, I'm not interested in any of its features, I just browse the web really, and Mrs M doesn't use one at all.
    But she loves yoga :)
    I use an iPad mini with bluetooth headphones for Yoga zoom classes. Works fine. But not all zoom classes are the same. If its a vinyasa flow type class I find I'm listening more to the teachers cues than watching. But when taking a hatha/ashtanga style class which can be a bit more detailed and technical I have to look at the screen more to ensure I'm doing the posture/pose is correctly.
    Some people get very funny about being watched at home via zoom and turn the camera off during a class, be aware that some teachers insist you have the camera on so they can check on you and make sure you are not doing anything that may cause harm.
    I hope she can get on with it and enjoy her classes. During lockdown it was really good to be able to continue practice via zoom and helped me keep in contact with my teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    I use an iPad mini with bluetooth headphones for Yoga zoom classes. Works fine. But not all zoom classes are the same. If its a vinyasa flow type class I find I'm listening more to the teachers cues than watching. But when taking a hatha/ashtanga style class which can be a bit more detailed and technical I have to look at the screen more to ensure I'm doing the posture/pose is correctly.
    Some people get very funny about being watched at home via zoom and turn the camera off during a class, be aware that some teachers insist you have the camera on so they can check on you and make sure you are not doing anything that may cause harm.
    I hope she can get on with it and enjoy her classes. During lockdown it was really good to be able to continue practice via zoom and helped me keep in contact with my teachers.
    She doesn't mind the camera, there's a few of her friends on too and they like to have a little wave at each other when the teacher isn't looking

Chrome book is all that’s required fir streaming - can be had second hand for sub £100

No operating system so just switches on and off like a light switch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk