closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plumbing - Tap cartridge removal

Plumbing - Tap cartridge removal

I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest how to remove the cartridge from my dripping tap.

I was expecting to see a nice hex nut to undo, but I can't see how to remove this.

Is it infact not replaceable? Time for a new tap?

Looks like the brass ring needs to be undone based on the two slots and the thread.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest how to remove the cartridge from my dripping tap.

I was expecting to see a nice hex nut to undo, but I can't see how to remove this.

Is it infact not replaceable? Time for a new tap?
    I suspect that the clue is in the two notches in the brass cartridge. I expect that there is a spanner that will fit.

This being TZ I expect that somebody who really knows about it and will be along in a moment and give you the correct answer.

I believe the required tool is called a collet spanner or wrench.
    ______

​Jim.

Thanks.

Looks like it's one of this jobs that you think will be straightforward, but...

By the time I've found out the correct tool to use and the correct cartridge to fit it'll be worthwhile to get someone in to do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks.

Looks like it's one of this jobs that you think will be straightforward, but...

By the time I've found out the correct tool to use and the correct cartridge to fit it'll be worthwhile to get someone in to do it.
    Thats if you can find someone whose willing to come out to do a tap change or two.

Better to do it once and then any others that need doing, you'll be all good to go.

Craftsman
    Once you have got the cartridge out, if you can't get one locally, go to this place https://www.tapmagician.co.uk they are really good. Also when you get the new cartridge you may have to lap the seat in the tap a little. I always use a dremel with a stone to gently level the brass seat.

You will probably find a screwdriver used sideways (gently) will turn it unless it is seized, or if you have a punch or similar try tapping it round with a hammer so it unscrews.

Master
    If the tap is more than 5 years old its going to be solid by now and will likely deform.

I would just do the whole tap or :::::

get a plumber to do it but it will cost you more. Then theres the cost of the valve unit replacement.

I went through a few days of pain with my kitchen sink mixer tap ended up replacing the thing anyway since the plumber replaced thye cold but buggered up the hot because it was so hard to get the cold valve out much hammering, tutting and saying 'god that's tight'. he had to remove the whole thing anyway to avoid damagoing the sink.