closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I just want my vintage quartz serviced!

I just want my vintage quartz serviced!

I can’t seem to get a decent watchmaker to agree to service my vintage quartz (GP 352)
    When I say decent I mean I want to know someone who’s confidently used their services.
    All the ones I usually use have declined for no substantial reason the usual is no parts available and I said I have working donors but still no.
    The latest watchmaker agreed and had had my watch for 3 months only to tell me “actually I’m not happy to dismantle it for fear of it not working again” what the heck lol. These calibre’s are very robust and were made to a very high quality also with a view to them being able to be serviced so I don’t get the hesitation at all?
    There was one guy (The watch bloke) who I’ve used before but he keeps telling me he’s extremely busy and can’t take it on for the last 6 months. But I’m going to keep pestering him lol if your reading this Duncan!

What do you guys think ?

Also if anyone has a guy that deals with vintage quartz please do say.

Thanks

I would recommend waiting for Duncan/Thewatchbloke, the wait times seem long but they do come to an end and he's worth the wait, I only have three weeks left and one of mine will be coming back from him :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I would recommend waiting for Duncan/Thewatchbloke, the wait times seem long but they do come to an end and he's worth the wait, I only have three weeks left and one of mine will be coming back from him :)
    Yeah he’s good that’s for sure. I probably will wait to be fair I’m in no rush.
    Just don’t understand the reluctance from other watchmakers.

Cheers.

To be fair, vintage obsolete quartz must be a high risk service to do, if they stop and can’t be resurrected then the watchsmith is going to be blamed.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Have you tried TCA/Ryte time? I’ve used Terry and Steve Burrage for years for some unusual bits quartz and auto with zero issues, there will be a wait, but not 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As the OP is in London, why not try ALSAL Watches, 226 Strand. They carryout work on all of my watches when needed. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    To be fair, vintage obsolete quartz must be a high risk service to do, if they stop and can’t be resurrected then the watchsmith is going to be blamed.
    I hear you, but it’s the same as sending a vintage Rolex with original lume that is say delicate and the watchsmith would say there’s a chance they will crac etc but let you know in advance. I’m aware there’s a small chance it might break but rather unlikely just from servicing and I do have donors ready for such an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Have you tried TCA/Ryte time? I’ve used Terry and Steve Burrage for years for some unusual bits quartz and auto with zero issues, there will be a wait, but not 6 months
    I used Steve years ago as my very first repairer and was told that he had retired from rytetime?
    Is he back ?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    As the OP is in London, why not try ALSAL Watches, 226 Strand. They carryout work on all of my watches when needed. Very good.
    Thanks for the input mate I will beat them in mind should Duncan keep his wait list as unavailable

Thanks

Wait six months and have Duncan sort it.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Wait six months and have Duncan sort it.
    I probably will. Thanks

But does anyone know or want to hazard a guess as to why most watchmakers won’t touch these calibre?

Master
    I know a while back I was looking for someone to sort a GP352, and it was the availability of (well, at least commercially viable) spares. Which reminds me, I still have that watch, so will be keen to hear your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I probably will. Thanks

But does anyone know or want to hazard a guess as to why most watchmakers won’t touch these calibre?

Any parts NOS or donor are at least 45yrs old....so with the circuits and motors in mind, they can be prone to immediate failure.
    As these calibres have common issues namely the circuit, motor, date change, plastic intermediate wheel and setting lever yoke, the chance of continued failure is high.

I have largely stopped doing the 35* calibres, mainly due to having a watch back several times from another forum member. It works for a few months, maybe 6, then starts playing up, its frustrating for both parties.
    My own Cal 353 is temperamental and tbh I have stopped trying to make it not so.

This issue is not unique to these repeated problems, Omega Cal 1310 springs to mind, but they do seem to have a higher return rate.

Whats actually wrong with yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I know a while back I was looking for someone to sort a GP352, and it was the availability of (well, at least commercially viable) spares. Which reminds me, I still have that watch, so will be keen to hear your experience!
    I will keep you updated mate.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Any parts NOS or donor are at least 45yrs old....so with the circuits and motors in mind, they can be prone to immediate failure.
    As these calibres have common issues namely the circuit, motor, date change, plastic intermediate wheel and setting lever yoke, the chance of continued failure is high.

I have largely stopped doing the 35* calibres, mainly due to having a watch back several times from another forum member. It works for a few months, maybe 6, then starts playing up, its frustrating for both parties.
    My own Cal 353 is temperamental and tbh I have stopped trying to make it not so.

This issue is not unique to these repeated problems, Omega Cal 1310 springs to mind, but they do seem to have a higher return rate.

Whats actually wrong with yours?
    Hi Keith.
    I know you have much more experience with this module but honestly my personal experience is that quite reliable. I guess I’ve just been lucky if they do fail it’s usually just the Quartz can. I’ve had two for nearly 10 years that work flawlessly only battery changes.

Anyway that being said the one I want serviced has no issues whatsoever maybe the seconds hand could be adjusted to hit the markers. The date mechanism is a little sticky when the hands turn to midnight but not when manually winding.

Apart from that I want it dismantled and a good clean really for peace of mind nothing more.
    I know that’s a bit silly and taking it apart might cause more problems but surely that’s my prerogative?

Thanks
    Last edited by Redwolf; 13th October 2020 at 19:23.