closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servicing dad's Longines Conquest

Servicing dad's Longines Conquest

Hi,

My dad just gave me his old Longines Conquest automatic. I welcome any advice on:

1) Do's and dont's for servicing this type of watch...

2) Experience with Longines 'send and service my watch' Vs Longines 'Restoration' services?

2) Modern strap ideas to freshen up this older style of watch.

Thanks

Tim

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by timc; 12th October 2020 at 02:08.

Lovely what's the case back like ? Still got it's paint

I would not send this off to Longines , very expensive and it will take a long time for restoration , no experience of this just what I have seen from other threads. A good watchmaker should be able to sort this for you .

Master
    There are many good independent watch makers that could sort that for you, longines are likely to charge through the nose for that, the service is excellent though, one of the few brands that still think customer service has a place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The only excuse for not sending it off to Longines is tight wad penny pinching. A watch like Longines should be restored by Longines who have all the genuine parts. Also Longines are well known for being very helpful when dealing with older watches.

This is a special watch to the OP and it should be given the best treatment possible.

Not sure what the back should look like... photo below...

Personally I'm not one for well worn watches but in a case like this I'd just have the crystal replaced along with a service and it would probably require a new crown however that's all I would have done. The current wear and tear is a reminder of where it came from and what it means to you.

As for sending it to Longines. If it was a full restoration then yeah but for what I suggested then any of the recommendations on here would take great care with it also.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Not sure what the back should look like...
    That is exactly what it should look like, and it's in very good shape actually. Below is a stainless steel example with a little more wear than yours.

I'm curious about the cyclops on the crystal - is that a feature (and therefore the original crystal) or has it been stuck on subsequently? I have absolutely no idea about Longines servicing but I'd want to understand what the risks are associated with doing a manufacturer's service on a vintage watch with sentimental value (i.e. if that's the original crystal and identical replacements aren't available I'd want to be able to specify to keep and just polish it). You may have a different view but I would probably not want it to be returned to as-new condition either.

As is usual Mick P is talking a load of old rot - there are lots of reasons why you might not go for a manufacturer's service but you need to go into it with open eyes as there is likely to be a point of no return with some of the work. I've just sent a Universal Geneve Monodatic off for a service, with the original crystal, and I'd be heartbroken if something happened to it.

Edit. Here's my strap suggestion from the Kaufmann sale.
    https://www.kaufmann.shop/sale/uhren...aae1b5352cb31b

You could also consider getting a signed Longines buckle but you'll probably need to go via an AD for one of those.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 12th October 2020 at 16:59.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

As is usual Mick P is talking a load of old rot - there are lots of reasons why you might not go for a manufacturer's service but you need to go into it with open eyes as there is likely to be a point of no return with some of the work. I've just sent a Universal Geneve Monodatic off for a service, with the original crystal, and I'd be heartbroken if something happened to it.

You could also consider getting a signed Longines buckle but you'll probably need to go via an AD for one of those.
    Sorry it is not old rot as you so eloquently put it.

Longines have more parts than anyone else and this is a special watch to the OP and he wants it done right to the highest standard, it was his fathers watch after all.

Major watchmakers are restricting parts to non accredited independents, so they may have to fit non original parts which would make it a franken watch.

The days of watchmakers ignoring a clients wishes or instructions are over, if you want something kept as is, they will usually comply with the request as long as it doesn't affect the integrity and working of the watch.

The only advantage in taking a Longine to a non accredited dealer is a quicker turn around and a lower price. You could bet your bottom dollar that if the prices were similar, all the watches would go to Longine or an accredited repairer thus proving that money saving is the driving factor.

If you can explain your specific experience of doing this with a Longines then please do so here; otherwise you're just making stuff up. What would you do if an independent watchmaker had a stock of original parts that the manufacturer no longer holds - would you still go with the manufacturer? Making grandiose and pompous statements about all manufacturers and their approach to servicing vintage as if they all have the same policy, or only they have access to parts, is completely misleading though not terribly surprising.

In any case I'm not steering the OP away from Longines - he just needs to be sure that they don't ruin his watch and any of the original features (if indeed the crystal is original - it's certainly unusual to have a cyclops near the middle like that).

You also don't appear to understand the difference between a dealer and a watchmaker.

Master
    If you can explain your specific experience of doing this with a Longines then please do so here; otherwise you're just making stuff up. What would you do if an independent watchmaker had a stock of original parts that the manufacturer no longer holds - would you still go with the manufacturer? Making grandiose and pompous statements about all manufacturers and their approach to servicing vintage as if they all have the same policy, or only they have access to parts, is completely misleading though not terribly surprising.

In any case I'm not steering the OP away from Longines - he just needs to be sure that they don't ruin his watch and any of the original features (if indeed the crystal is original - it's certainly unusual to have a cyclops near the middle like that).

You also don't appear to understand the difference between a dealer and a watchmaker.
    Longines enjoy a reputation of having a very good and accommodating service department and they do at least carry buckles and everything else.

I have no intention of talking to someone like you as we obviously have different viewpoints on how to look after a watch.

I would advise the OP to contact Longines and then make his own mind up about sending his watch to them or not.

So we're agreed that you're making stuff up as usual then.

Master
    So we're agreed that you're making stuff up as usual then.
    Stop acting as if your IQ is down in double digits.

I’d stop digging if I were you.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It’s nice to have your father’s watch.

I suspect that underneath that shabby crystal is a lovely dial. My recommendation would be to send it off to a reputable independent for a service and a new crystal. A new crystal does not need to be sourced from Longines.
    I can highly recommend .olli. of this forum.........here is his website.

As far as straps are concerned there are many options but perhaps a left field suggestion might be a tweed watch strap. There are various sources if you Google it but I have a couple of these...very good quality.

Mick, it's not penny pinching of timc to ask this question. We are not all made of money, especially now when work is difficult.

And if we're being judged by our posts then C-B is going to fare somewhat better than both of us.

I am afraid don't know if the crystal is original or not... I am afraid my father will not remember.. it has not been worn or serviced for more and 40 years...

The crystal does not have a protruding cyclops...so it must be a feature within...

I am happy to collect information and listen to everyone's views and experiences... before deciding the best way forward...

Keep the data points comming

Last edited by timc; 12th October 2020 at 19:24.

I am afraid don't know if the crystal is original or not... I am afraid my father will not remember.. it has not been worn or serviced for more and 40 years...

The crystal does not have a protruding cyclops...so it must be a feature within...
    Well, that means it's not one of these:

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-glass-date-magnifiers/

It may be the original crystal or perhaps it's a generic - it's worth getting somebody to attempt a polish if you can't guarantee to get an exact replacement (even just Polywatch can do wonders and there are other techniques using wet and dry) One thing you absolutely should do is contact Longines for their free Extract service.

https://www.longines.com/certificate-of-authenticity

Looking at the Longines restoration stuff on their website I'd be very specific/careful what you ask for - complete removal of patina is clearly a possibility (together with dubious decision making about lume dots).

I'd contact member here Webwatchmaker ​.
    F.T.F.A.

wow.. i just learnt that they re released these only a few years ago.... there a few photo examples on here and they look really nice....

I'm curious about the cyclops on the crystal - is that a feature (and therefore the original crystal) or has it been stuck on subsequently? I have absolutely no idea about Longines servicing but I'd want to understand what the risks are associated with doing a manufacturer's service on a vintage watch with sentimental value (i.e. if that's the original crystal and identical replacements aren't available I'd want to be able to specify to keep and just polish it). You may have a different view but I would probably not want it to be returned to as-new condition either.

looking at images of these watches online, quite a few have a very similar cyclops in the crystal.. so perhaps it is original... or at least correct for the model and Longines...

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'd contact member here Webwatchmaker ​.
    Thanks Magirus,
    I keep a huge stock of Longines spares. In fact Longines CH have bought several vintage movements and parts from me !
    I visited their manufacture in St.Imier three times last year. I can tell you they do not like servicing vintage watches. They are very time consuming, so their watchmakers prefer straightforward jobs to improve repairs turnover, especially since many staff were furloughed because of coronavirus.

*They also gave me a selection of their beautiful history books, very useful for identification of their early watches,...and a Longines pen with a spare refill !
    I did get punished by cheeky speed cameras in the area though !

Sent from my SM-A105FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 13th October 2020 at 00:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Thanks Magirus,
    I keep a huge stock of Longines spares. In fact Longines CH have bought several vintage movements and parts from me !
    I visited their manufacture in St.Imier three times last year. I can tell you they do not like servicing vintage watches. They are very time consuming, so their watchmakers prefer straightforward jobs to improve repairs turnover, especially since many staff were furloughed because of coronavirus.

*They also gave me a selection of their beautiful history books, very useful for identification of their early watches,...and a Longines pen with a spare refill !
    I did get punished by cheeky speed cameras in the area though !

Hi Bendan, good to hear from you. The silver trench watch that you serviced and repaired last year for me still looks fabulous and is going well.. Tim
    Last edited by timc; 13th October 2020 at 01:31.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Hi Bendan, good to hear from you. The silver trench watch that you serviced and repaired last year for me still looks fabulous and is going well.. Tim
    That's great to know Tim,
    If you need an estimate for the Longines, I will be happy to examine it for you.
    B.

Has any one had any experience with either the Longines 'send and service my watch' or their 'Restoration' service?

If you have, would you be able to share your experience and, if you have them, some before and after photos?

Many thanks
    Tim

At the risk of sticking you down a rabbit warren, I'd suggest having a trawl through the Longines sub-forum on Omegaforums.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/longines-watch-forum

If it's anywhere near as good as the UG sub-forum, you will find it really useful.

At the risk of sticking you down a rabbit warren, I'd suggest having a trawl through the Longines sub-forum on Omegaforums.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/longines-watch-forum

If it's anywhere near as good as the UG sub-forum, you will find it really useful.
    Thank you i will have a look tonight. t

Thanks. I have just ordered a couple of straps from their sale as a test.

If you want a Absolute horror story I can tell you one to cut it short tho I've just sent my Longines Heritage Diver 1967 back to them for the 3rd time. 1st to service 2nd came back looking mint but ran like a bag of hammer’s. 3rd running fine although amplitude was still highish at 325 but the chronograph absolutely wrecked.
    There is a hell of a lot more to it but I'll cut it short at that.
    Has any one had any experience with either the Longines 'send and service my watch' or their 'Restoration' service?

If you have, would you be able to share your experience and, if you have them, some before and after photos?

Many thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    If you want a Absolute horror story I can tell you one to cut it short tho I've just sent my Longines Heritage Diver 1967 back to them for the 3rd time. 1st to service 2nd came back looking mint but ran like a bag of hammer’s. 3rd running fine although amplitude was still highish at 325 but the chronograph absolutely wrecked.
    There is a hell of a lot more to it but I'll cut it short at that.

OMG

Before anyone writes the crystal off the link below gives an idea as to what's possible.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/poli...-heavy.121033/

Thanks. I have just ordered a couple of straps from their sale as a test.
    They make nice straps and, if you're lucky, there are some good exotic bargains in their sale shop. You can thank Animalone on here for the recommendation.

Before anyone writes the crystal off the link below gives an idea as to what's possible.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/poli...-heavy.121033/
    Wow... I am going to try this :)

Or... Is there a reason why I should not.... ?

Last edited by timc; 13th October 2020 at 19:31.

Any more experiences with the Longines service or the Longines restoration services?

The Kaufmann straps just arrived. The black lizard which my father asked for looks nice... The blue lizard looks a little feminine

Just an update on my horror story.

So today after Longines having my watch back for a week and it being inspected.

I login to the Longines CIS website to see an update that read (This watch needs a full service) I'm like are you freakin kidding me.
    I call Longines and after explaining how unhappy I am at the totally unacceptable way thing's have gone. I received another update she could see on her system.
    So apparently both the master technician and the head of customer service have decided to order a new movement and a new case including new sapphire crystal (mine did have a very small scratch on it) So basically other than the bracelet and dial I will be getting back essentially a new watch head.
    Here's hoping it's working like a new watch.
    Any more experiences with the Longines service or the Longines restoration services?

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Just an update on my horror story.

So today after Longines having my watch back for a week and it being inspected.

I login to the Longines CIS website to see an update that read (This watch needs a full service) I'm like are you freakin kidding me.
    I call Longines and after explaining how unhappy I am at the totally unacceptable way thing's have gone. I received another update she could see on her system.
    So apparently both the master technician and the head of customer service have decided to order a new movement and a new case including new sapphire crystal (mine did have a very small scratch on it) So basically other than the bracelet and dial I will be getting back essentially a new watch head.
    Here's hoping it's working like a new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The only excuse for not sending it off to Longines is tight wad penny pinching. A watch like Longines should be restored by Longines who have all the genuine parts. Also Longines are well known for being very helpful when dealing with older watches.

This is a special watch to the OP and it should be given the best treatment possible.
    So,Mick......still have the same opinion?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    So,Mick......still have the same opinion?
    Only a total idiot would judge an organisation on one incident. Longines do have a very customer friendly reputation and that needs to be factored into the decision making process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Only a total idiot would judge an organisation on one incident. Longines do have a very customer friendly reputation and that needs to be factored into the decision making process.
    Only a total idiot would think that the only choice for a service is to send it to the manufacturer and not consider an independent.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience... It sounds stressful and frustrating... I hope your new watch works smoothly ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Only a total idiot would think that the only choice for a service is to send it to the manufacturer and not consider an independent.
    Sending the watch to an independent who is accredited and can fit genuine parts is fine. Using a non accredited repairer who cannot access genuine parts is where the problem can occur for obvious reasons.

Also you have to remember that Longines have a very enviable reputation which has been built up over the years. One swallow does not a summer make.

My data points so far:
    - Several nice examples of Longines being serviced at independents in the links above...
    - A horrible experience so far at Longines service center.
    - and this discussion
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/any-...erland.119261/

Any TZUK positive experiences with either of the Longines service / restoration offerings?

Thanks. T

Last edited by timc; 17th October 2020 at 04:35.

I'm sure that you can evaluate the worth of the contributions to your thread. You have the guidance of some of the most experienced vintage watch enthusiasts anywhere, interspersed with horseshit from a pompous, narrow minded, status symbol obsessed, alcohol reliant gobshite with an overinflated sense of self importance.

Good luck with the restoration.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

For me the interesting thing was more the lack of examples, on this or the omega Longines site, of enthusiasts using the official longines service... With other brands there is so much chatter and pre Vs post service / restoration analysis....

Unless there is any more experience, I guess it's time to weight it all up...

Thanks all.
    T

In case it helps anyone in the future... I sent this longines to Oliver. He did an excellent job, the watch is now running well and I am very happy with the results.

In case it helps anyone in the future... I sent this longines to Oliver. He did an excellent job, the watch is now running well and I am very happy with the results.
    That’s good to hear. Do post some photos if you can. Would love to see how it turned out.

Here you go

Looking good!

On a brown duke hirsch strap