closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Precista PRS-82 (stlil in production?)

Craftsman

Precista PRS-82 (stlil in production?)

I rather fancy trying a PRS- 82.

I see the store is currently showing it as out of stock - does anyone know if Eddie is planning on restocking or is it now discontinued? I've done a search but can't find anything apart from good reviews!

Thanks

Old penis hands? Discontinued I believe.

Try a WTB. It's how I got one a few years ago, but now sold.

Cracking watch.

Would the ETA movements still be available for new production?

Grand Master
    Later ones had ETA 2824 which is a far better proposition. Not sure whether Eddie plans to produce more, not my type of watch but they were great value for the price.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies - I did wonder if it was a discontinued watch.

I think I missed one on the SC a few weeks ago - 'snooze and loose' and all that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Later ones had ETA 2824 which is a far better proposition. Not sure whether Eddie plans to produce more, not my type of watch but they were great value for the price.
    I have the 2873 version and my humble opinion is that this is the most important detail of the watch.
    Sharing the same movement with the original but being 30 years apart…
    From a tech point of view a 2824 is a better movement probably but it makes no difference to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I have the 2873 version and my humble opinion is that this is the most important detail of the watch.
    From a tech point of view a 2824 is a better movement probably but it makes no difference to me

You might think differently when the mainspring barrel eventually wears and you can’t get a replacement!

ETA barrels have notched walls, which allows the mainspring to slip in in controlled increments when fully wound. That’s fine, but the indentations loose their sharpness eventually and the mainspring will slip earlier than it should, this affects power reserve and amplitude. The answer is a replacement, but if it isn’t available the performance of the watch can never be properly restored. On that basis I would always favour the later ETA 2824, even if ETA won’t supply the mainspring and barrel the Sellita equivalent is identical and I don’t see a time when these movements can't be fixed due to lack of parts.

Master
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure whether I sold you that one? If so, I might be interested in buying back if you sell one day....despite the fact that I have an original.

Iirc it was number 439?

Craftsman

+1....I think having the same movement as the original issued version sprinkles a little 'special' on an already great watch, I have number 13, or is it 14?....lol

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'm not sure whether I sold you that one? If so, I might be interested in buying back if you sell one day....despite the fact that I have an original.

Iirc it was number 439?

I might be interested in buying that original off YOU! Wow. :)

Craftsman
    You might think differently when the mainspring barrel eventually wears and you can’t get a replacement!

ETA barrels have notched walls, which allows the mainspring to slip in in controlled increments when fully wound. That’s fine, but the indentations loose their sharpness eventually and the mainspring will slip earlier than it should, this affects power reserve and amplitude. The answer is a replacement, but if it isn’t available the performance of the watch can never be properly restored. On that basis I would always favour the later ETA 2824, even if ETA won’t supply the mainspring and barrel the Sellita equivalent is identical and I don’t see a time when these movements can't be fixed due to lack of parts.
    Thanks - That's very useful to know. On that basis, I will hang out for a later model fitted with a later ETA 2824 movement. From what you are saying, am I correct in thinking that should this (2824-2) movement throw in towel completely, it can be fixed with Sellita parts or indeed a whole new Sellita movement? Thanks.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Thanks - That's very useful to know. On that basis, I will hang out for a later model fitted with a later ETA 2824 movement. From what you are saying, am I correct in thinking that should this (2824-2) movement throw in towel completely, it can be fixed with Sellita parts or indeed a whole new Sellita movement? Thanks.
    The Sellita SW200.1 is almost identical to the ETA 2824, movements can be swapped, most parts are interchangeable but some aren`t. These movements can have problems with the keyless work (sliding pinion and winding wheel) but replacements are readily available and all the Sellita keyless work parts are interchangeable. The mainspring and barrel are interchangeable, the balance is the same and so are the train wheels. The auto-winding bridge isn`t interchangeable but the reversers (which can fail) are. The design differences between the two are very minor but the bridges and mainplates can't be interchanged which is annoying.

I work on these movements frequently so I`m not just repeating what I read on the internet. Parts availability for the earlier obsolete ETA movements will get worse, last time I tried to source a mainspring barrel I couldn't get one and the same applies to other parts. The early PRS-82 watches were built from NOS ETA 2783 movements, they're more faithful to the original in that respect but that's the only factor that might be termed an advantage.

What I`m not certain about is whether a PRS 82 originally fitted with the 2783 will accept a 2824, the movement fits into a separate machined movement ring and I don`t know whether they're the same.

Craftsman
    The Sellita SW200.1 is almost identical to the ETA 2824, movements can be swapped, most parts are interchangeable but some aren`t. These movements can have problems with the keyless work (sliding pinion and winding wheel) but replacements are readily available and all the Sellita keyless work parts are interchangeable. The mainspring and barrel are interchangeable, the balance is the same and so are the train wheels. The auto-winding bridge isn`t interchangeable but the reversers (which can fail) are. The design differences between the two are very minor but the bridges and mainplates can't be interchanged which is annoying.

I work on these movements frequently so I`m not just repeating what I read on the internet. Parts availability for the earlier obsolete ETA movements will get worse, last time I tried to source a mainspring barrel I couldn't get one and the same applies to other parts. The early PRS-82 watches were built from NOS ETA 2783 movements, they're more faithful to the original in that respect but that's the only factor that might be termed an advantage.

What I`m not certain about is whether a PRS 82 originally fitted with the 2783 will accept a 2824, the movement fits into a separate machined movement ring and I don`t know whether they're the same.
    Many thanks for such a detailed reply - I got the gist but sadly some of the technical details are well beyond me!! However, all extremely useful to know. and helps me with my choice.

When I joined this forum I was very enthusiastic to buy lots of 'older/dare I say it, vintage' watches but, having read a lot more on the subject, I suspect the cost and difficulty in owning such pieces would not suit me! I do remember reading a post from you in relation to trouble in finding a mainspring barrel
    and that alone made me feel that a modern alternative would be better.

Again, from what you have said I still would like to buy a PRS 82 but will defiantly wait to seek out one that has the later 2824 movement and hopefully avoid any of the problems that you have mentioned with the earlier ones.

Craftsman
    That's the thing about collecting vintage watches, get them serviced when you can and then you need a lot of them in rotation so each one doesn't get too much wear. Oh, and then a beater watch, and a back up beater watch.....and so it goes.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    That's the thing about collecting vintage watches, get them serviced when you can and then you need a lot of them in rotation so each one doesn't get too much wear. Oh, and then a beater watch, and a back up beater watch.....and so it goes.
    Don't forget about watch cases... and being on a first name basis with your local watchmaker!

Master

The barrel seems to have an 182 code and it really doesn’t seem to be that difficult or that expensive to find.
    So I am sure that even the 2873 watches will outlive us, and they will always have that much more special connection to the original.
    Anyone can make an homage using a 2824 or a sellita, but no one can use the 2873 anymore…
    I might be wrong…

https://www.watch-spares.com/watch-p...arts/eta-2873/

https://www.watchmaterial.com/eta-27...over-part-182/

Craftsman
    The barrel seems to have an 182 code and it really doesn’t seem to be that difficult or that expensive to find.
    So I am sure that even the 2873 watches will outlive us, and they will always have that much more special connection to the original.
    Anyone can make an homage using a 2824 or a sellita, but no one can use the 2873 anymore…
    I might be wrong…

https://www.watch-spares.com/watch-p...arts/eta-2873/

https://www.watchmaterial.com/eta-27...over-part-182/

The original movement is a ETA 2783, not a 2873.

Terry

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The original movement is a ETA 2783, not a 2873.

Terry
    My bad - it seems to be sharing the same barrel as a lot of other movements, including the 2824 - part no 180/1. So again, availability doesn’t seem to be such a big problem

Craftsman
    My bad - it seems to be sharing the same barrel as a lot of other movements, including the 2824 - part no 180/1. So again, availability doesn’t seem to be such a big problem

180/1 is a common parts reference number used across many Swiss calbre's to describe the same part but the part is not necessarily interchangeable between different calibre's unless it's stated on the packaging.

A 2783 180/1 is not the same physical part as a 2824 180/1. Check a few different ETA calibre's and you'll see how the Swiss system works.

Terry

Craftsman
    Can anyone tell me what year the ETA 2824 movements would have taken over from the older ETA 2783?

Am I correct in thinking that at first glance, externally, the earlier PRS-82's would look the same as the later ones with the newer movements fitted.

Obvious question, but - To confirm the movement I assume I would need the vendor to open up the case back to have sight of the inside as it won't be shown on the case back?

I think there is an owners list / thread of the serial numbers for the original (2873) version, which I can’t find!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I think there is an owners list / thread of the serial numbers for the original (2873) version, which I can’t find!
    Thanks - just found it!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rs-list/page10

This YouTube review was shared recently on the Timefactors Facebook page:

https://youtu.be/AP14NB7ZaDw

Last edited by williemays; 18th December 2021 at 20:35.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the link - the reviewer gives the PRS-82 a big thumbs up but, as he commented, finding one is the hard bit!

Not if you have a first run re- edition

Most difficult granted if you want an original issued piece.

Hens teeth are more freely available.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

There appears to be one (Timefactors reissue) on Watchuseek currently:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/p...rs-82.5364830/

Looks a bit worn, may need a service, and I know nothing about the seller, but the price seems reasonable.
    Last edited by williemays; 20th December 2021 at 04:23.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    There appears to be one (Timefactors reissue) on Watchuseek currently:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/p...rs-82.5364830/

Looks a bit worn, may need a service, and I know nothing about the seller, but the price seems reasonable.
    Thanks for the link. I have just been in contact with the seller. On reflection, and from the advice given on here, I think I will pass on this particular example.

Probably one for the purists! It has the earlier movement and I hope to use it as a regular wearer and do not want to find that it later has repair/spare part issues later down the line (talked about earlier in this thread). Also, as you mention, it's had a 'life' and wears a few battle scars - I'd rather it didn't have them!

Craftsman
    Can anyone tell me how the bezel action is on these? I have a CWC Diver with a 60 click bezel and a Scurfa diver with a 120 click bezel. I really like the smooth but positive action on the Scurfa - not that I'm a diver, but I prefer the Scurfa bezel over the CWC. I guess it's all the details that add up to enjoying one watch over the another.

Anyone own/owned a PRS 82 and can comment?
    Thanks

I could gewt it made tomorrow if I fitted a Miyota movement but I'm of the opinon that the PRS-82 should have a Swiss movement and the delivery lead time is horrendous.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the bezel action is on these? I have a CWC Diver with a 60 click bezel and a Scurfa diver with a 120 click bezel. I really like the smooth but positive action on the Scurfa - not that I'm a diver, but I prefer the Scurfa bezel over the CWC. I guess it's all the details that add up to enjoying one watch over the another.

Anyone own/owned a PRS 82 and can comment?
    Thanks
    In my opinion the bezel action was better than a standard CWC diver, no play or looseness, one of the better bezel actions out there at this price point. (Not as good as the CWC reissues though)
    I had the version with the older movement and it was an amazing watch for the money, the case finishing was superb, however I never wore it so it was sold along with a first version PRS18a

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    In my opinion the bezel action was better than a standard CWC diver, no play or looseness, one of the better bezel actions out there at this price point. (Not as good as the CWC reissues though)
    I had the version with the older movement and it was an amazing watch for the money, the case finishing was superb, however I never wore it so it was sold along with a first version PRS18a
    Great to hear - thanks! Finding one seems to be my problem - just missed one on eBay but I'm sure one will turn in time! Interesting that you find the re issue CWC diver to have a better bezel than the standard. I guess these are things you don't find out until you've owned a few.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I could gewt it made tomorrow if I fitted a Miyota movement but I'm of the opinon that the PRS-82 should have a Swiss movement and the delivery lead time is horrendous.

Eddie
    Opinion shared!

Eddie
    I can wait...

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

Master

Eddie
    Is the lead time now horrendous for Sellita as well as ETA?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Is the lead time now horrendous for Sellita as well as ETA?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's non-existent for ETA and at least 6 months for Sellita, depending which movement. I had to wait almost a year for the monopusher movements.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".