closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedbird III PRS-22 vs Smiths Navigator PRS-48

Apprentice

Speedbird III PRS-22 vs Smiths Navigator PRS-48

Hi guys, I’m looking at both these lovely watches on the website and am wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare one against the other?

To my (undiscerning) eye, size and bracelet are the main differences?

Which would you pick and why?

I cannot speak about the Speedbird from experience, but the Navigator is a stunning watch, the quality and case finishing are superb and the movement performs very very well.
    Last edited by TheGent; 11th February 2022 at 10:11.

They are both good but the Navigator is more "detailed".

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    They are both good but the Navigator is more "detailed".
    Agreed, check out the Navigator case:

The SBIII is a classic but it's utilitarian in it's fit and finish. A no nonsense watch that does exactly what it's supposed to. The Navigator looks to have a lot more class and refinement.

Apprentice
    I think the others ahead of me has mentioned the good points of the Navigator, so I shall focus on the Speedbird here.

The specs on the PRS-22 is hard to beat.

Love the clean look and legibility, with a screw-down crown to boot. Plus you get a nice, comfortable bracelet too.

A date function is available too if you pick the version with the Speedbird text on the dial.

With a 20mm lug spacing, you are likely to have more strap options than the Navigator.

My key complaints though are that the micro-adjustment holes (not the glide lock) on the clasp serve no purpose whatsoever and thicker straps tend to get marked by the case due to the limited clearance between the lug holes and case.

Note: I have the Navigator as well as both versions of the PRS-22 Speedbird (With and without the Speedbird text).

It hasn’t yet been mentioned that the PRS22 is 39mm as opposed to the 36mm of the Navigator.

The PRS52 baby Speedbird is 36mm though.

Master
    I've had both.

The Speedbird for me ticked all the boxes on paper, but didn't quite hit the mark on the wrist. It was very uncompromising and 'instrument' like in its feel - helped by the sterile and very flat, matte dark grey dial. A little Germanic if I can say that. It's also (for my tastes) quite big. I seem to remember that fitting nato's and other straps was a problem on account of the short lugs and lack of space between the bars and the case? It's been a while.... Worth noting (?!) that I got a lot of comments from non-wis folk on the Speedbird, as many as I did on the Timefactors W10 re-issue.

The Navigator has (comparatively) more 'joie de vivre' about it, with its glossier black dial, logos, polished bezel and beautifully shaped lugs. It's still definitely a very business-like military style watch though. Purely from a personally tastes POV, I prefer no date, manual wind and 36/18 is the sweet-spot for me size-wise. Mine is insanely accurate. No one ever looks at my Navigator!

I am biased - but for me the Navigator is the best watch Eddie has made yet. Almost perfect, and can be made perfect by replacing the sapphire crystal with acrylic. I kept the Speedbird for about a year IIRC, my Navigator is a keeper.
    Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 11th February 2022 at 11:04.

Craftsman
    Speedbird III is of course larger and in my experience does feel much larger and heavier on the wrist (at least it did on my skinny wrist) than the Navigator. Navigator is more refined, as others have said.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd agree with what has been said above. I loved the IWC MkXV look which is why I've owned a couple of Speedbird IIIs. Ended selling both times because whilst the spec of the watch is fantastic, it is a little too sterile for my liking - that's not a criticism, just personal taste. The Navigator is a very different watch and felt much more refined/finished to me. Only moved my Navigator on because I'm a flipper!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The Navigator is a very different watch and felt much more refined/finished to me.
    For me the hands look much more refined on the Navigator. It is definitely teh prettier of the two. I've considered getting both watches (the baby Speedbird specifically) at various times, but the hands and bracelet make me pause with the Speedbird and - while it's a very minor thing - I don't like the pheon on the Navigator.

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the input so far!

Looks like the overwhelming favourite is the Navigator. That said, are there any bracelets that will work with it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Headspace1982 View Post
    That said, are there any bracelets that will work with it?
    Mesh perhaps.

...... That said, are there any bracelets that will work with it?
    Bonklip, perhaps.

Master
    Forstner ladder style:

Mesh:

And, my personal favourite, although I expect I am in a minority of one, stretchy

Blog Entries
    I've got say, I like these two. They both look good.

Good expanding bracelets can be so comfortable and are so easy to slip on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Mesh:

And, my personal favourite, although I expect I am in a minority of one, stretchy

Craftsman
    It is a tough one - all the differences appear to have been covered.

For me it came down to size and the austere dial.

The Navigator is a superb watch. I would pick that over the Speedbird III (with no date).

Fortunately I have a Speedbird I which has a sweet spot size case and the exclusivity (!) of a fairly limited run. I just need to add a white face Navigator as the blue-ed hands look great in any picture I’ve seen.

Apprentice
    Some really nice photos posted here!

Anyone got a white navigator though?

And shucks, I was preoccupied and completely missed today’s store opening!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Forstner ladder style:

Mesh:

The Forstner is looking good but I’m really hoping for something with fitted endlinks.

Apprentice

The Baby Speedbird is probably the better comparison, since it's the same size as the Navigator. And I agree with the above comments - although superficially they look similar, they are very different watches, and it really depends on the "feel" that you are looking for.

As others have said, the Navigator is much more refined, with a more complex case shape, a more elegant dial, a shiny bezel, a prettier design. Not surprising, since it is a spot-on replica of the IWC Mark XI, which is a beautiful watch and classic design. If I were only to get one, I would get the Navigator.

That said, I own the Baby Speedbird instead. It's a good choice if you aren't looking for something refined, but more a true tool watch feel. It does feel "germanic," as someone said earlier. The case design is much more straightforward, with a slab side. The dial design is simpler and less complex. It's fully brushed, with a matte dial. I wasn't a big fan of the bracelet (a bit heavy to my taste), but the watch is great on a nylon or canvas nato. I already owned an IWC Pilot 36, so I wanted something more tool-like, and the Baby Speedbird is really great for that purpose.

Edited to add a couple of pics, since we can always use more:

Last edited by jodydavis; 14th February 2022 at 07:49.

Craftsman
    I hadn’t considered the baby speedbird but it looks, to my eyes, great!

I’m clearly a fan of the simple/less refined case. Whilst I like a sterile dial the name/date works really well at that size.

Anyone got a white navigator though?
    Have a look here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Black-or-White

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Thanks!

Craftsman

I need an excuse to post this pic.

This is a seriously nice watch with perfect proportions and spot on with -/-0 and +/+ 0 seconds a day.

I bought it this week from daddelvirks an I am very pleased!

Craftsman

Size impression next to a 36mm Explorer.

Because of the thinner bezel / bigger dial the Explorer looks larger, but both are 36mm.
    Also the lugsize and massive bracelet makes for more wrist presence.
    However, in my opinion nothing needs to be changed on the Navigator. It is really a cool watch.

Notice the anti reflective on the Navigator. It makes the lacquered dial so much nicer.

This watch is a lot of bang for the buck.