closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio G Shock Full Metal

Craftsman

Casio G Shock Full Metal

Something out of left field for me but I’ve spend hours looking at these.

I’m more a Rolex / Tudor / Omeaga kind of person but I keep being drawn to these

Does anyone have any experience of these? Worried that I get one and then get bored of it very quickly

I Just love the look and style of them and want something a bit more rugged for when I go travelling to Everest base camp next year

I’ve picked up a cheap Casio in a similar shape just to see how it looks on my wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you'd call me a Rolex/Tudor/Omega person as I have 1/0/2 of them but I love my metal G shock.

I bought the gold one originally as a bit of a laugh as a bit of bling but it was too much for me so I moved it on quickly. Next I bought my daughter one of the resin squares with the same Bluetooth module so I picked up the silver one so I could mess about with the Bluetooth link etc so I'd be able to set her watch up and answer any questions. I planned to move it on quickly as well but I really took to it and kept it for ages. I only moved it on when I had a chance to try one in a DLC case and bracelet. I really like that one but I'd still be happily wearing the silver one if I hadn't swapped.

You could do worse than trying the one on SC at the moment: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-and-bracelet
    I reckon it's a bit of a bargain so if you don't like it you'll move it on without losing much (if anything). And it will save me from having to buy it.

Awesome watches. I think mine is better than my Breitling Aerospace and Omega X33. Seriously. I now have 3 of them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I guess you'd call me a Rolex/Tudor/Omega person as I have 1/0/2 of them but I love my metal G shock.

I bought the gold one originally as a bit of a laugh as a bit of bling but it was too much for me so I moved it on quickly. Next I bought my daughter one of the resin squares with the same Bluetooth module so I picked up the silver one so I could mess about with the Bluetooth link etc so I'd be able to set her watch up and answer any questions. I planned to move it on quickly as well but I really took to it and kept it for ages. I only moved it on when I had a chance to try one in a DLC case and bracelet. I really like that one but I'd still be happily wearing the silver one if I hadn't swapped.

You could do worse than trying the one on SC at the moment: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-and-bracelet
    I reckon it's a bit of a bargain so if you don't like it you'll move it on without losing much (if anything). And it will save me from having to buy it.
    Now that is tempting! A week and a half until payday though so might not hang around

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Awesome watches. I think mine is better than my Breitling Aerospace and Omega X33. Seriously. I now have 3 of them.
    That’s pretty high praise! I like the steel one in silver. The gold coloured one wouldn’t really suit me

Apprentice
    If you want to dip your toe in the water there are lots of aftermarket cases available from the likes of Aliexpress: https://tinyurl.com/yxk9vd8n
    Here's a vid of a case being fitted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vagBBVUveHo

Brings the price in closer to £100 than £400.

Nice watches and fun to wear. Have three of them as well.
    Also an unused conversion kit that I should be trying out.

I have the limited black Ti - not cheap at over £1k, but do not regret it one bit. One of my go to watches and out of my many Gs one of the best.

The normal steel model I found a little heavy, but YMMV.

As Ryan says, they're superb and I whole heartedly agree better than the X33 etc at a much lower price point.

I've had several steel, the gold and the black DLC versions. They are excellent watches, but personally I preferred the positive display versions. The negative are good in strong sunlight, but not so good indoors.

They won't replace your Rolex or Omega etc, but are a handy grab and go for when the decent watches aren't appropriate. The timekeeping is spot on, which is an important feature on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've had several steel, the gold and the black DLC versions. They are excellent watches, but personally I preferred the positive display versions. The negative are good in strong sunlight, but not so good indoors.

They won't replace your Rolex or Omega etc, but are a handy grab and go for when the decent watches aren't appropriate. The timekeeping is spot on, which is an important feature on these.
    A good point made here - the positive displays are soooo much easier to read than the negative. It's one reason I did not get the camo full metal.

Never really been into Casios but when I first saw these I fancied trying one out, I now have two, one for best and a beater and they are firm favorite's and when I wore the GMW-B5000D 1ER to a family gathering a couple of years back I had more people ask about my watch than any other I have worn over the years, strange.

I've got two of them. Brilliant watches. If I ever had to make a decision where I could only own one watch, I would keep the full metal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I've got the stainless steel one with the positive display. I queued up outside the G-Shock store on Carnaby Street at 7am to get one on launch day. You can get them within the forum for about £250 and at that price it's beyond a total no brainer.

Craftsman
    They wear very well, but you should be aware that the product photos turn down their polish quite a lot. The metal one is VERY shiny.

Craftsman
    I have the Shiny silver one and it is my favourite summer watch. Although it might get some competition if I manage to find another funky summer watch with yellow hands and wot not.

Be aware the first link on the bracelet is kinda fixed and does not bend in like the others, but I don’t find this an issue on my wrist.

Recently swapped mine at a trade price of approx 250

They come up on here

Avoid the kitted ones - I’ve done it a d they are not in the same league

£250 will snag you one

Craftsman
    Looks like I’ll have to stick a WTB up for the silver one

Had a look on eBay but really hard to separate out what’s fake and what’s not

I really like the full silver version. I actually bought one just after they were released. However, I had to return it as the bracelet end-links overhung my wrist. If I ever go for another it will be on resin.

Master
    I got myself a GMW-B5000TCM a few months back and I absolutely love it. Btw this is coming from a guy who loves mechanical watches and wear a patek and vacheron as daily drivers. Whilst mine is the Titanium version and therefore there will be a weight difference, the fit and feel of these are absolutely top stuff. You can even download the Gshock app and manipulate the world time etc on it. Whilst it does not get very regular wrist time, when I strap it on, im never dissapointed.

Journeyman
    I am also a Omega/Tudor guy, But I got one from here a couple of weeks ago and I also love it, It has a certain heft that feels like quality!!
    But then I have other Gshocks as well and love them to

Scottie

Casio G Shock Full Metal

Casio's All Metal interpretations of the old classics is about to get even better with the AWM-500. The appeal may well be limited to people of a certain vintage though.

https://youtu.be/IDj1Rce3_g4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The other great thing about the GMW-B5000s is the ease with which you can swap bezels and bracelets. Having acquired one with a negative display and another with a positive, I have added various different bezel and bracelet sets, plus some jaysandkays adapters - changing between these is a matter of undoing a couple of screws, and for me, is a real part of these watches’ value. Genuine Casio parts are easy to get (lots of mine came from Casio UK themselves) and are mainly pretty cheap - aside from the Ti ones.

That’s before you get into bead blasting, cerakote and other custom finishes, obv...

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    The other great thing about the GMW-B5000s is the ease with which you can swap bezels and bracelets. Having acquired one with a negative display and another with a positive, I have added various different bezel and bracelet sets, plus some jaysandkays adapters - changing between these is a matter of undoing a couple of screws, and for me, is a real part of these watches’ value. Genuine Casio parts are easy to get (lots of mine came from Casio UK themselves) and are mainly pretty cheap - aside from the Ti ones.

That’s before you get into bead blasting, cerakote and other custom finishes, obv...
    I agree with this, but I do think Casio let the side down somewhat by making parts from 'exclusive editions' so widely available. Take the DLC Porter edition, cost £1,100 to buy, now sells for around £3k yet you can buy the Porter bezel, bracelet and screws for a couple of hundred quid and turn the steel edition into a Porter-a-like edition, the only difference being some colouring on the face of the module.

Yes it's great for those who want that rare watch look on the cheap, but not so great for those who have paid for the real thing.

Maybe the solution is if Casio are going to do this anyway then don't make limited editions, just make watches like the Porter part of the everyday line up and the crazy £3k price tag wouldn't exist.

I'm sure there will be opposing views

I agree with this, but I do think Casio let the side down somewhat by making parts from 'exclusive editions' so widely available. Take the DLC Porter edition, cost £1,100 to buy, now sells for around £3k yet you can buy the Porter bezel, bracelet and screws for a couple of hundred quid and turn the steel edition into a Porter-a-like edition, the only difference being some colouring on the face of the module.

Yes it's great for those who want that rare watch look on the cheap, but not so great for those who have paid for the real thing.

Maybe the solution is if Casio are going to do this anyway then don't make limited editions, just make watches like the Porter part of the everyday line up and the crazy £3k price tag wouldn't exist.

Yes but, no but...
    Those who know will know that the £3000 Porter edition has a red border to the display and will look for it.
    And those who don't know will look at both a Porter and a Porteralike and think 'nice watch - bet that's worth nearly £100!'

The fact that the Porter edition exists makes absolutely no difference to how much I enjoy mine except that I'm glad it made the parts available. I wonder if any Porter owners feel there's has been de-valued in any way? I don't know 'cos I don't know anyone to ask but I suspect not or they wouldn't still be going for >OSP

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Yes but, no but...
    Those who know will know that the £3000 Porter edition has a red border to the display and will look for it.
    And those who don't know will look at both a Porter and a Porteralike and think 'nice watch - bet that's worth nearly £100!'

The fact that the Porter edition exists makes absolutely no difference to how much I enjoy mine except that I'm glad it made the parts available. I wonder if any Porter owners feel there's has been de-valued in any way? I don't know 'cos I don't know anyone to ask but I suspect not or they wouldn't still be going for >OSP
    Just a point of principal really against any exclusive watch from any brand. We don't see Rolex knocking out cheap dials or inserts that were made exclusively for some PM model on the cheap to those who want to convert.

Just a point of principal really against any exclusive watch from any brand. We don't see Rolex knocking out cheap dials or inserts that were made exclusively for some PM model on the cheap to those who want to convert.
    Indeed, Casio make available a variety of bezels and bracelets (original quality not cheap) that owners of their watches can use to create a watch that they really like and also be able to create a different look, without having to buy another watch. Treating people who have bought their watches as if they actually own them and are free to alter them as they desire and see fit.

How much better it is if, like Rolex, watch manufacturers restrict such things, try and prevent it, treat alterations as if they still have some control over owners and the watches they have sold and try and restrict what they can do with their own paid for property. Yes, a much more satisfying ownership experience.

Mitch

Also completely different casebacks.