closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA supply

Master

ETA supply

Does anyone know if the anticipated restrictions on supply of ETA mechanisms changed in July. Has there been a change of strategy?

Also for the firms that had to move away from ETA ans couldn’t go not go in house, what manufacturer did they move to?

Sellita seems to be the main alternative to ETA from what I can see.

I have one watch with a Sellita and I would be hard pushed to place ETA above or below Sellita in terms of build quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Sellita seems to be the main alternative to ETA from what I can see.

I have one watch with a Sellita and I would be hard pushed to place ETA above or below Sellita in terms of build quality.
    I’ve chatted with a few watchmakers that went out of their way to say they wouldn’t use a Sellita. I don’t understand why so anti.

I read that the Swiss authority have said Swatch can sell to who they like again, but that doesn’t seem to have rippled through to supply yet. Not sure they’d stop supplying some of them given the Chinese copy availability.

Craftsman
    I would agree that alot have gone with Selitta, but some have been turning to STP which is owned by the Fossil, but from what I read from a person who worked in the Swiss watch industry there has been a lot of QC problems with STP movements because much of the components that comprise the movement are sourced from China and thus the problems have followed. He said he prefers ETA and Selitta but is given the choice of a movement form STP or Miyota he would choose the Miyota hands down. I have heard good things about Ronda which have been manufacturing their own automatic movement which would go up against the ETA 2824 and Selitta SW-200.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I would agree that alot have gone with Selitta, but some have been turning to STP which is owned by the Fossil, but from what I read from a person who worked in the Swiss watch industry there has been a lot of QC problems with STP movements because much of the components that comprise the movement are sourced from China and thus the problems have followed. He said he prefers ETA and Selitta but is given the choice of a movement form STP or Miyota he would choose the Miyota hands down. I have heard good things about Ronda which have been manufacturing their own automatic movement which would go up against the ETA 2824 and Selitta SW-200.
    Ronda information here

https://www.ronda.ch/en/movements/me...0/caliber/r150

Keith

Master
    I see the name SOPROD as a contender, but again not sure who is using them. Maybe I will follow Eddie’s choice :)

If there were any problems with the Miyotas we would have heard about it by now... unless I am wrong.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    If there were any problems with the Miyotas we would have heard about it by now... unless I am wrong.
    My first ever Miyota which is in the Baby Speedbird has averaged +0.9spd over the past 7 days. It’s certainly got my vote for accuracy and I haven’t heard any complaints regarding reliability either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    My first ever Miyota which is in the Baby Speedbird has averaged +0.9spd over the past 7 days. It’s certainly got my vote for accuracy and I haven’t heard any complaints regarding reliability either.
    The more I pull watches apart to understand how they work, the more I’m in awe of the precision achieved.

How did you get a decimal SPD reading, was this and average over 7 days in a single position ?

ETA supply

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    The more I pull watches apart to understand how they work, the more I’m in awe of the precision achieved.

How did you get a decimal SPD reading, was this and average over 7 days in a single position ?
    I use the TWIXT app. 0.9spd is the average over the past 7 days. There has been a bit of variation in that and I believe that’s been due to how long the watch has been on my wrist for that particular day. Basically the timings are for the watch on the wrist and kept crown up each evening.

My Certina which has a ETA quartz chronograph is also very good for a standard quartz movement.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 11th October 2020 at 15:30.

Journeyman
    So it's been ten years since the first time that ETA restricted movement sales, leading to more Sellita movements being put in watches.

So SW 500 or Valjoux 7750? Thousands of words have been written about it.

On the relatively entry level Sinn 356 it uses a SW 500. On the slightly larger and slightly more premium Sinn 358 Sa, it uses Valjoux 7750.

In the Sinn 103 range, there's what looks like a warning now that says:

Mechanical Movement
    The information on the mechanical movement corresponds to the current production situation in Frankfurt am Main. Due to technical changes, it may happen in individual cases that stock items of our sales partners deviate from this information. (further Information)

soprod, sellita or Japanese ones. ETA is not the be all and end all luckily

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    soprod, sellita or Japanese ones. ETA is not the be all and end all luckily
    You can thank the Swiss government for that.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    ETA are not allowed to be selective to who they choose to supply outside of Swatch. This was the reason why it was referred to Comco and why Comco suspended their external sales. The agreement is they either supply everyone, or they supply no one otherwise Comco will reinforce the suspension of all 3rd party sales.