closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marcus Rashford MBE

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Marcus Rashford MBE

I’m no great fan of footballers, I think most are pampered idiots detached from reality, however Rashford certainly hasn’t forgotten his roots. He’s tried (and succeeded) in shining a light onto poverty and it’s nice to see he’s had some recognition.

Particularly nice to hear him say his Mum is his hero, not another footballer.......

He’s said he’ll take his Mum with him to collect the gong, which is another positive.

Agree, its good to see he is using his position to help others, so many in a similar position do nothing..

Couldn't agree more.

Blog Entries
    I might be wrong but he seems quite down to earth which is a pleasant change.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Totally agree a naturally caring and deserving humanitarian well done Marcus now why the hell did that tosser Joe Wicks get one?Last I remember him was in that cockney shit Eastenders.
    Last edited by Boeingdriver; 10th October 2020 at 14:42.

Not into football but he does seem like a genuinely nice and well grounded guy. He could just enjoy his millions and stfu but he hasn't. More people like him would make the world a better place and not just in sports where there's obscene money.

He does seem a decent lad and very down to earth,even if he does play for them.
    I’m not that sure I totally agree with these honours being handed out ,to me they hand them out far too easy,I’m not saying the lad ain’t done good but he ain’t been putting his heart and soul into it for 20 years,like a lot of volunteers do week in week out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not into football but he does seem like a genuinely nice and well grounded guy. He could just enjoy his millions and stfu but he hasn't. More people like him would make the world a better place and not just in sports where there's obscene money.
    Well said His award is richly deserved for the way He brought the morally bankrupt & corrupt government to account his actions are in complete contrast to the utter greed of the premier league who announced PPV games the vote was carried 19-1 the only club dissenting - Leicester City their decency is to be applauded the other 19 including My club Everton,deserve a good slap this is sheer greed especially at £14.95 a pop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Well said His award is richly deserved for the way He brought the morally bankrupt & corrupt government to account
    Oh, which one? I'd thought that his campaign had taken place only here in the UK.

I have to say, I'd be more supportive of this if it was his own money he was putting where his virtue-signalling mouth is rather than the taxpayers' - and I wonder if the whole thing was dreamed up by his agent to get him a bit of publicity, perhaps for sponsorship money.

Master
    He did contribute his own money as well as raising millions.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Oh, which one? I'd thought that his campaign had taken place only here in the UK.

I have to say, I'd be more supportive of this if it was his own money he was putting where his virtue-signalling mouth is rather than the taxpayers' - and I wonder if the whole thing was dreamed up by his agent to get him a bit of publicity, perhaps for sponsorship money.
    G&D is not the place for this nonsense, go to the BP if you want to spout this (politicised) bullshit.

Full credit to MR, what a great role model for young people all across the country.

As has been said, as a young football star, playing at the highest, he could have just stfu and enjoyed his money. The fact that he is looking back at his roots and wants to help people that were in similar situations to him should be (universally) praised.

His mum must be so proud.
    Last edited by vagabond; 10th October 2020 at 11:24.

I think giving honours to sportsmen for being successful in their sport is a bit ridiculous (likewise for musicians). I understand why it's done, mind, but it devalues the honours.
    Of course in this case this is for a totally different reason, and one well worthy of an MBE.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Marcus Rashford is in an incredibly priveleged position and he has used that position in an incredibly positive way. He seems very switched on and mature for a 22 year old. A far better human being than I was at that age.
    He has never forgotten where he has come from and the difficulties and challenges surrounding the people where he grew up.
    His family should be very proud of him and credit should go to his mother for bringing up a socially aware and thoroughly decent young man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    G&D is not the place for this nonsense, go to the BP if you want to spout this (politicised) bullshit.

Full credit to MR, what a great role model for young people all across the country.

As has been said, as a young football star, playing at the highest, he could have just stfu and enjoyed his money. The fact that he is looking back at his roots and wants to help people that were in similar situations to him should be (universally) praised.

His mum must be so proud.
    Why didn't you quote the post he replied to which was the first politicised comment? Just asking.

As a Leeds United fan it goes against the grain to support anything that happens at Manchester United, but...

Incredibly well deserved honour for an inspirational young man. Most 22 year old footballers spend their time enjoying the trappings of success, but he has cared about those less privileged. He put his head above the parapet and campaigned effectively to force the government of the day to realise that its moral compass was pointing in totally the wrong direction, and that it needed to U-turn on the issue. He also comes across as very level headed and humble in interviews. Fair play to him.

(Normal scum-hating service will now resume)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why didn't you quote the post he replied to which was the first politicised comment? Just asking.
    The first comment was primarily aimed at the Premier League. Monotonous was more contentious, as is usual with him. IMO of course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The first comment was primarily aimed at the Premier League. Monotonous was more contentious, as is usual with him. IMO of course.
    Really...?

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Well said His award is richly deserved for the way He brought the morally bankrupt & corrupt government to account his actions are in complete contrast to the utter greed of the premier league who announced PPV games the vote was carried 19-1 the only club dissenting - Leicester City their decency is to be applauded the other 19 including My club Everton,deserve a good slap this is sheer greed especially at £14.95 a pop.
    I mean hey if people want to bash the government continually in the G and D thats fine by me, but to then call out anyone supporting them for political comments in the G and D is a bit rich really!
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 10th October 2020 at 11:58.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Because this thread is about Marcus Rashford and his charitable/public service achievements (there's probably a better term) and recognition for those.

I highlighted the attack on him and his motives.

There was no need to defend the government, they already admitted they were wrong. ;-)

Credit to him for pursuing a cause he believes in when it wold be easy to sit back and enjoy his wealth. At the risk of appearing churlish, I do feel honours like this should be reserved for people who have contributed to a cause for many years rather than a few months though. I fully expect Rashford to do that, but them would be the right time for him to be recognised for it in my view.

Well done to Marcus Rashford for his services to vulnerable children and for the recognition he has now received.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Marcus Rashford fully deserves the honour and the wider good that can come out of this is that he will be seen by kids and teenagers as a role model and hopefully influence them into doing good things as well. I'm pretty sure a lot of footballers do good deeds and make donations to charities and causes they believe in, but much of this is not publicised. All we see are the antics on the pitch and the stupid things they do in public which is what the media wants. It doesn't matter what team he plays for, he shows himself to be a very respectable, well-grounded and well-brought up young man and I'm sure his mum and family are extremely proud of him.

Master
    The 10% who deserve awards have them devalued by the 90% who don't.

Master
    Congrats to him, he’s doing a lot good and seems a lovely and well rounded young man. He’s a credit to football (and they need it) and to his mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Congrats to him, he’s doing a lot good and seems a lovely and well rounded young man. He’s a credit to football (and they need it) and to his mum.
    I'd say despite football.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Trident-7 junior was one of the mascots at Old Trafford for Manchester Utd v Newcastle Utd 3 years ago & emerged from the tunnel holding Marcus Rashford's hand. I'd love to be able to say that Rashford helped make it a day to remember for an awe struck 8 year old, but he didn't. Never uttered a word to the mascots and didn't give them his autograph. The boy now supports West Ham.

Master
    Sorry to hear that. So is it just all PR?

I guess the 'excuse' could be he was in game mode...concentrating his mind on what was to come. But there is really no excuse.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. So is it just all PR?

I guess the 'excuse' could be he was in game mode...concentrating his mind on what was to come. But there is really no excuse.
    They won 4-1 & he still didn't get an autograph from half of the team. I was surprised myself, even as a non-football supporter, that the team came off the field after winning 4-1 and they all had faces like grave diggers' dogs. I'd have expected them to be ecstatic! Fans were clamouring near the entrance to the tunnel where I was & the players didn't acknowledge the fans at all, and didn't sign any autographs. God knows what they'd have been like if they'd have lost.

Blog Entries
    And to judge a 19yr old's (3 years ago) whole achievements on a brief encounter around a high level football match isn't exactly fair or rational. The tension before a big game must be tremendous - especially if your team isn't doing as well as expected (at that time was it under Moyes or Mourinho?). For the young players looking to make a name for themselves that must be even more so.

Seems like it was the same behaviour across the whole team and not an individual, which doesn't excuse it but does make highlighting Rashford singularly a bit unfair.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find reasons to dislike him if you want. I know I can - he plays for MU; I hate the team! ;-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    With all the BLM shite these days, he is a prime example that people should focus on, he came from a poor family, pulled himself up by the bootstraps and has campaigned for and financially helped those less fortunate.........well done that man.

It's sad for your lad that they didn't give autographs after the game but before the game, walking out onto the pitch, my mind would be focused on destroying the opposition and I wouldn't want any distraction. They all should be in the zone and pumped up mentally like demons to win so I can understand MR's demeanor in that pic. If everyone's laughing and joking at that stage then they are not mentally ready to give their lives on the pitch. It doesn't make MR uncaring in my book but more shows his professional attitude to want to win for the team. I don't know the procedure with mascots at games but surely there must be a chance after the game for players to be given some time to give them autographs and have photos taken with the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    They won 4-1 & he still didn't get an autograph from half of the team. I was surprised myself, even as a non-football supporter, that the team came off the field after winning 4-1 and they all had faces like grave diggers' dogs. I'd have expected them to be ecstatic! Fans were clamouring near the entrance to the tunnel where I was & the players didn't acknowledge the fans at all, and didn't sign any autographs. God knows what they'd have been like if they'd have lost.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    With all the BLM shite these days, he is a prime example that people should focus on, he came from a poor family, pulled himself up by the bootstraps and has campaigned for and financially helped those less fortunate.........well done that man.
    +1 Mike and Bondurant - sadly everyone has detractors and empty kettles make a lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    100% agreed.

Given his background and what he's been awarded the MBE for I cannot see him as being 'anti-kid' in the slightest.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I agree with Seadog 100% He is the sort of role model kids should have.

However this made me spit my tea out with laughter...

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    If everyone's laughing and joking at that stage then they are not mentally ready to give their lives on the pitch.
    It’s a game of football not life and death.

It was a figure of speech and not meant to be taken literally. Maybe you need a strong coffee rather than tea if you cannot read between the lines

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I agree with Seadog 100% He is the sort of role model kids should have.

However this made me spit my tea out with laughter...

It’s a game of football not life and death.

Professional football: 130 years of men at war, wearing shorts
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 11th October 2020 at 22:27.