closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated and Underrated..

Most Overrated and Underrated..

Two watches, not company/brands as in Rolex are overrated and Seiko are underrated -

Blue corner - your most overrated watch.

Red corner - your most underrated watch.

No hitting below the clasp.

Touch lugs - FIGHT!
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 10th October 2020 at 11:22.

Blog Entries
    From my own collection:

Overrated: Speedmaster. After all, a vintage handwinder, not really water resistant and very easy to scratch the crystal. Yes, I know that it's all for a reason (flights in space). But without the NASA heritage, the watch would have gone down in oblivion, like other Omegas from that era. The reason why I don't sell mine is the fact that it was my father's watch.

Underrated: Sinn EZM2 Hydro. The oil filled quartz watch. Absolutely accurate, tougher than old boots, wonderful effect of the oil under the crystal making it easy to read under water and under all angles.

Menno

Can only go by the watches I’ve owned.

Overrated - Patek Aquanaut, too light and dainty to be classed as a sports watch. Finishing that would be ok on a watch half the price but is nothing compared to the levels of detail seen on complicated pieces. I bought and sold at RRP but struggle to see how the watch justifies that RRP, let alone the ridiculous prices charged on the secondary market.

Underrated - Bremont Supermarine. One of the most well built and best looking divers I’ve owned. Had a 14060M at the same time and, when the time came, the Bremont went. It made sense financially but I always felt I let the better watch go and the Sub went soon afterwards.

Blue corner:

Zenith El-Primero: overpriced new, and almost all of them are dated-looking and tackily-overblinged so they just don't "look the money". I'm told by someone who does it for a living that spares are a nightmare, Zenith unhelpful, and the movements are tediously awkward to work on. The ultimate "laurel-rester".

My first thought was "Rolex", but the worst I can say about the watches is they're a mite boring - otherwise they're very well made, and there's no escaping the fact that HWF is piling a LOT of money into good causes; the watches are mostly harmed by the tedious "Just get a Rollie, bro!" conformist tw@s.

Red corner:

Damasko DC57: I've been warned off Damasko more than once, yet I've found them very well built and durable, with better attention-to-detail and ergonomics than the equivalent Sinns. I love the durability, and they lead the way in straightforward legibility - all for less money than their main competitor. I also found Damasko themselves helpful and obliging, and like that it's still family-owned. The DC57 looks superficially plain, but it wears so well in absolutely all situations, suits every kind of strap I have tried, and is one of VERY few watches I own that actually gets noticed by people - I have a small queue of mates wanting first dibs if I ever sell.

Good thread.
    Will answer after some thought.
    As someone who started the thread, you should go first.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    From my own collection:

Overrated: Speedmaster. After all, a vintage handwinder, not really water resistant and very easy to scratch the crystal. Yes, I know that it's all for a reason (flights in space). But without the NASA heritage, the watch would have gone down in oblivion, like other Omegas from that era. The reason why I don't sell mine is the fact that it was my father's watch.

Underrated: Sinn EZM2 Hydro. The oil filled quartz watch. Absolutely accurate, tougher than old boots, wonderful effect of the oil under the crystal making it easy to read under water and under all angles.

Menno
    I love the Speedmaster so the first post to this thread got my hackles right up, that’s fighting talk there!

But you redeemed your smack by saying the EZM2 is underrated, love mine and totally agree with everything you say..

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Good thread.
    Yessss... but like you I’m still giving it some thought

For me:

Blue corner - most overrated

Rolex Daytona White Face - I always really wanted one and managed to get my hands on it before the prices went crazy. Owned it for a year and never really fell in love with it having previously owned the Sub date

Red corner - most underrated (not sure it qualifies but hey ho!)

Sub date - owned 2 of them and I love mine. It’s sturdy, accurate and does the job. It can certainly take a bashing and yet it’s only got a couple of scratches so can’t complain!

S

Master
    Most overrated. Sinn U1 - nasty bezel action, super basic construction, awful clasp.

Most underrated. Hamilton manual wind officers watch. Vietnam reissue. Only a basic design but pretty cheap and nicely made

Sent from my SM-A405FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Most Overrated - Patek Aquanaut. Doesn't hack, not finished particularly well, crap deployant, very 'meh' on the wrist.

Most Underrated - Seiko Shogun. It is all the diver you need, seriously.

I'll add also that I love the Breitling Aerospace and won't put it as overrated as it is an iconic design however since having a Full Metal Casio Gshock which has for sure a better and more comfortable bracelet than the Breitling, more functionality and also looks awesome I'm wondering how one costs over 3 grand and the other under £500!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 9th October 2020 at 20:13.

Blog Entries
    Overrated = a 300m diver

Underrated - a watch that ( in reality) does pretty much all I'd ever need ...

z

Most overrated and Underrated..

Most over-rated

Actually nothing really. I once had a Lum-Tec M9 that was expensive for what it was and derivative in style, but I’m not sure it was ever rated in the first place.

Under-rated
    B&R 123 Geneva. It’s a private pleasure, but it’s beautiful, carefully designed, and finely finished

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most overrated watch by miles that I've ever owned is the Tudor Black Bay 41 and I've had two of them. Lame riveted bracelet, no adjustment on the clasp, try hard gilt dial and thick as a tuna can.

Most underrated would have to be the MM200 in any variant. So well built and such great quality but it gets overlooked for the Prospex logo, the weird hands and being at the fork in the road price wise between other models where you could spend more or less and most people do just that.

Most overrated: Daytona. Wears extremely small (and the big pushers even increase the feel) and doesn't really look anything special for the price. Yes, it's a legendary watch and I respect its history. And yes, I'm a Rolex fanboy... but never liked Daytona.

Most underrated: Ebel BTR. This is 45mm, has the same movement as Breguet XX, is finished superbly.... costs about 2000 euros in the preowned market. My favorite chronograph.

Last edited by JPE; 9th October 2020 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The most overrated watch by miles that I've ever owned is the Tudor Black Bay 41 and I've had two of them. Lame riveted bracelet, no adjustment on the clasp, try hard gilt dial and thick as a tuna can.

Most underrated would have to be the MM200 in any variant. So well built and such great quality but it gets overlooked for the Prospex logo, the weird hands and being at the fork in the road price wise between other models where you could spend more or less and most people do just that.
    Yeah I'll second the MM200. A massive amount of watch for the money. I also had that in mind for my underrated watch but went for the Shogun

Overrated

Modern ceramic Rolex Daytona - 116500LN Worse in every way than the models that preceded it (all of them) in my view, and a ridiculous price on the used market.

Underrated

Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down - Better finished and better looking than any Patek at even close to the price, and incredibly available second hand for less money than the aforementioned Daytona.

Craftsman
    Controversial ones from me I’m afraid. Prepare the pitchforks :-)

Overrated: Speedy Pro, authentic moon watch. Felt very insubstantial, rattled a bit and not the best feeling when using the chrono. Poor WR and much questioning on the internet as to whether people dare shower with it on.

Under rated: Speedmaster 9300. Not loved at all by the purists but I love mine. Decent power reserve, awesome legibility, hardwearing sapphire crystal and deadly accurate. Not to mention 100m WR. Such a shame that it’s often looked down on

Overrated:

PP Nautilus. Over priced and over hyped and a watch that seems to be a rights of passage to some glorified WISdom. A cold and almost industrial looking thing with those hideous shoulders. Amazing how many previous owners have got rid of theirs, so maybe the aspiration and desire to have owned one is eclipsed by the reality of actual ownership. PP should really stop messing around with sports models, they are clearly not very good at it.

Underrated:

I'm going to give a nod to the humble Orient Mako. A 41mm day date watch on a very clear dial for a hundred pounds, or two at most. A watch that is Seiko's illegitimate little brother, but great value for money.

Overrated: Rolex, no comments about the 5 big that you need to do the queue for 5 years or pay 5k more to get one second hand.

Under rated: orient, seiko.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Most overrated and Underrated..

Well, it feels fragile and the clasp is awful. Over-rated. Although, for once, I made a good profit on it. Which is some redemption.

Reasonably inexpensive and excellent.
    And, a new category ...the most beautiful watch. I mean, just look at it. Will always miss it.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th October 2020 at 21:31.

Master
    Most overated as it was hyped so much even on this forum and lasted 6 months.

Most underated...the Citizen GPS...been all over he world and is the only watch you need.

What an excellent topic....

Overrated: objectively I would have to say the Speedy Moon watch...don't get me wrong I love mine, but it is over hyped IMHO.

Underrated: Here I find myself diametrically opposed to Wileeeeeey, I love the Tudor Black Bay Heritage 41 (red). The brand has genuine heritage in its own right, I think the riveted bracelet is excellent quality. I also found that I soon got used to the thickness of the case, and I love the high polish "slab" sides. I think the in-house movement is stonkingly good; the wind is as smooth as butter, and it seems to be extremely accurate. And all for a (comparatively) reasonable price.

A

So far Patek, Speedmaster, and Daytona are taking a kicking, put the same watches on SC and the fawning would churn the stomach of a sewage sweeper..

Overrated - Rolex Submariner, as demonstrated by the ridiculous price in relation to the sum of the parts.

Underrated - Vostok Amphibia, for exactly the same reason.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Overrated - PP5712, it’s nice but not anywhere near the crazy that is present grey price.

Underrated- Seiko SLA017. It gets a lot of praise but even that does not do it justice. SPB147 is pretty good though so it actually could be that.

Blog Entries
    Overrated: Patek 5617A - underwhelming.
    Underrated: Tricky as I don't think this is underrated - VC 4500v

Overrated: pre ceramic subs. So light and unsubstantial compared to the later models. I never found that with 5 digit GMTs for some reason.

Master
    Overrated-any Rolex with Comex plastered on the dial

Underrated- Rolex Milgauss

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    So far Patek, Speedmaster, and Daytona are taking a kicking, put the same watches on SC and the fawning would churn the stomach of a sewage sweeper..
    That makes sense really. They're highly (over) rated by people who haven't owned them....allegedly.

Totally get the Patek comments, I made the Daytona one myself, but the Speedmaster?!

Overrated : Patek 5711. Thin, delicate, dainty, too easily scratched, no micro adjust so it was always too tight or loose. A frustrating daily wearer.

Underrated : Swatch Sistem51. A great in house Swiss automatic (disposable) watch for not a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    That makes sense really. They're highly (over) rated by people who haven't owned them....allegedly.

Totally get the Patek comments, I made the Daytona one myself, but the Speedmaster?!
    The Speedmaster Pro pre 2000, has a charm which I get and the older they are the more charm they have, but I can see others don’t, they do feel delicate, don’t like water and scratch easy.

Sometimes it’s best not to meet your hero’s but in my case the Speedmaster has lived up to its status..

Blog Entries
    I love the Speedmaster so the first post to this thread got my hackles right up, that’s fighting talk there!

But you redeemed your smack by saying the EZM2 is underrated, love mine and totally agree with everything you say..
    Great comment. Pity we don't live in the same country and that there's Covid to reckon with - otherwise you and I should get a beer together!

Menno

Overrated has to be Patek 5711. Pinned bracelet says it all, for 30k 🤣

Underrated has to be the Ocean X Sharkmaster. Yes I know it’s essentially a copy of the Deepsea, but with 1000m water resistance, hev valve, awesome lime and in my case keeping within 2 seconds a day and all for £350.00, what’s not to like.

Having given it some thought-
    Overrated- none. Because any watch or model, someone somewhere loves it for a reason of their own.
    Having said there are a few ones that fail to excite me as much as they excite a lot of others- a bunch of Grand Seikos. In general with the exception of GS divers and some GMT models, GS leave me cold. Also 6309 reissues , 62 MAS reissues, Sumo, Monster etc. Also Patek 5711.But I don’t want to confuse my indifference to some watches with their quality/worth.
    Underrated - Kobold Seal, Tourby Lawless, Bremont divers to name a few.

Over rated; anything large or anything illegilble (think Hublot and Richard Mille respectively)

Under rated; simple 36/38mm three hander autos with date. Just simple watches like we all knew and liked in the 1980s

The Speedy surprises me as I thought it was almost a right of passage to own one in this game. I can’t comment on them as I’ve never owned one. I’m something of a sci-fi space geek so it should be right up my street but when I looked into the history of it I wasn’t taken in by the space hype. Looks to me that it was only selected by NASA as it was the least worst of a bad bunch. Rolex and Longines/Wittnauer failed the NASA tests so badly that they were deemed dangerous and Hamilton somehow decided that a pocket watch would be best suited to space travel. That left the Speedy which was chosen despite failing several key tests itself, but not in a way as to endanger the crew, and was deemed ok as it was a back-up of a back-up and was unlikely to be relied on.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    The Speedy surprises me as I thought it was almost a right of passage to own one in this game.
    Pretty much why I bought one. When I realised I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Good thread.
    Okay, after some thought I would say minimalist dress watches like A. Lange & Söhne 1815, Breguet Classique are overrated and generally very expensive, while I appreciate the engineering and simpleness they just leave me wanting more for the money, maybe I would change my tune if I owned one for a reasonable amount of time but thats not likely.

Underrated - The Sinn EZM2 for the same reasons Menno mentioned and here is a curve ball - 16600 Seadweller, its bit of an oddity being that it looks like a Submariner but doesn't have the controversial cyclops, is built like a tank but only marginally thicker and has a better dial to bezel measurement.

its just a beautiful watch that deserves a lot of credit for probably being the best 5 digit Rolex, but others like the 16610, 16710, 14060 steal its lime light and somewhat suppress its value.

Last edited by murkeywaters; 10th October 2020 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    and was deemed ok as it was a back-up of a back-up and was unlikely to be relied on.
    Apollo 13 were glad of that back up back up!

Therefore, to manually readjust the course of the craft, an exact 14-second burn of fuel was required. There was simply no room for error. Without their digital timers, Swigert instead used his OMEGA Speedmaster chronograph to time the burn, while Lovell guided the craft using the Earth’s horizon as his guide. As Mission Commander James Lovell would later say, “We used the OMEGA watch that Jack had on his wrist and I had to control the spacecraft. Jack timed the burn on the engine to make that correction to get us back home safely.”

Apollo 13 were glad of that back up back up!

Therefore, to manually readjust the course of the craft, an exact 14-second burn of fuel was required. There was simply no room for error. Without their digital timers, Swigert instead used his OMEGA Speedmaster chronograph to time the burn, while Lovell guided the craft using the Earth’s horizon as his guide. As Mission Commander James Lovell would later say, “We used the OMEGA watch that Jack had on his wrist and I had to control the spacecraft. Jack timed the burn on the engine to make that correction to get us back home safely.”
    Can’t deny any of that, although the way the name Omega is included in the quote does make it sound like a marketing excercise, and it was certainly fortunate that NASA did go with a watch in those circumstances. What puts me off is the constant space marketing, although I can’t blame Omega for it, when in reality the Speedy didn’t perform that well in the tests and any one of a number of watches could have done the same job. It was lucky that the watch was needed inside the vehicle, in testing in a vacuum it gained 21 minutes in only 90 minutes!

Blog Entries
    Most underrated.........

Because although it has it's followers, it's head and shoulders above many of the forum faves.........

Most overrated..........

Because it will always be 'made by Rolex but not a Rolex'

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Good thread. Following with interest. I've not yet owned enough watches to be able to comment too much, but so far:

Overrated: Speedmaster - as people have already said, surprisingly expensive for what you get, strap-tastic, charming in its way but if you don't buy into the backstory I'm not sure it's really all that.

Underrated: Black Bay 79230N - everyone loves the BB58 but I actually prefer the size/heft of the original. Solid, original, borderline iconic (this may be pushing it, but it was the watch that effectively relaunched Tudor), excellent value. The GMT leaves me cold, but the black bezel in-house I'm very fond of.

Had to give this some thought, but here goes;

Overrated: despite being a Rolex fan boy I would have to opt for the GMT Ref:16710 (it was a close run thing with the Seadweller Ref:16600). Having a keen interest in aviation, travelling extensively and a love of all things Rolex this should be my ideal watch......but despite having previously owned all variations of the 16710 it just does nothing for me. On the wrist it is fairly anonymous, no real presence. The sapphire crystal just doesn't have the warmth and charm of the earlier models. Back in the day there was a reason it often languished in the windows of ADs. I have to say that its recent revival in popularity and the incredible prices now being asked has left me somewhat bemused. The three examples I have owned cost me no more than 2000 GBP each.....all with box, papers etc. and at the time I thought that was pushing it.

Underrated: To add some balance I will opt for the Rolex GMT Ref:16753. I think this has everything the 16710 doesn't have and is often available for significantly less money. There is a reason why you often see these on the wrists of elderly Italian vintage watch dealers.....they have great charm (both the watches and the dealers!!).

These are just my opinions and of course it would not do for us all to like the same things. I have a friend who has owned a 16710 since 1995 and has worn it every day......I have to say that it always looks great on him.

Great idea for a thread - many thanks.
    Last edited by Woody74; 10th October 2020 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    Had to give this some thought, but here goes;

Overrated: despite being a Rolex fan boy I would have to opt for the 16710 (it was a close run thing with the 16600). Having a keen interest in aviation, travelling extensively and a love of all things Rolex this should be my ideal watch......but despite having previously owned all variations of the 16710 it just does nothing for me. On the wrist it is fairly anonymous, no real presence. The sapphire crystal just doesn't have the warmth and charm of the earlier models. Back in the day there was a reason it often languished in the windows of ADs. I have to say that its recent revival in popularity and the incredible prices now being asked has left me somewhat bemused. The three examples I have owned cost me no more than 2000 GBP each.....all with box, papers etc. and at the time I thought that was pushing it.

Underrated: To add some balance I will opt for the Rolex GMT 16753. I think this has everything the 16710 doesn't have and is often available for significantly less money. There is a reason why you often see these on the wrists of elderly Italian vintage watch dealers.....they have great charm (both the watches and the dealers!!).

These are just my opinions and of course it would not do for us all to like the same things. I have a friend who has owned a 16710 since 1995 and has worn it every day......I have to say that it always looks great on him.

Great idea for a thread - many thanks.
    Here's another 16710 owner who agrees. I paid 3800 euros for mine back in 2007-2008. It's a nice watch but I rarely wear it. Looks great in the pictures but as you say the wrist presence is nothing special. The current prices are somewhat mystery to me as well.

Craftsman

Most Overrated and Underrated..

Over rated - I would say the speedy pro. Again I had one with the big box but the fact I spent fortunes buying different straps and NATO’s for it showed me it was missing something

Underrated - controversial here but panerai 722
    Has the PAM DNA, sandwich dial, small seconds hand and date and has a screw on case back. Decent water resistance and an amazing bracelet and at 42mm is a bit more sensible

Rrp 7200 but can get one brand new grey for 5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread and comments so far:

Overrated - anything with a snoopy on the dial or case-back now. I know loads of people love them and they go for big money but I don’t get it or the hype.

Underrated - Victorinox Divemaster 500 automatic, sold and regretted and bought again peanuts to buy used. Bullet proof, legible and cheap to service. Probably my most worn watch over it’s history. And Rolex explorer II black, unloved even against the under rated polar.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Who remembers the times when Tudor Submariners were available for $1500 in the US? That's about 15 years ago. Rolex Sub was at least twice as much.

Now these Tudors cost almost as much as the equivalent Rolex Submariners from that era. That is seriously wicked.

It's like Volkswagen costing as much as Audi.

Can we include the names please. Just putting a model number isn't helpful to the wider membership. I recognise the fairly popular ones, but quite a few I've no idea. If it's an Explorer, Nautilus or GMT etc please say so.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 10th October 2020 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Can we include the names please. Just putting a model number isn't helpful to the wider membership. I recognise the fairly popular ones, but quite a few I've no idea. If it's an Explorer, Nautilus or GMT etc please say so.
    Maybe some more pictures robbed off of google images would help people recognise the watches too..

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    Interesting thread and comments so far:

And Rolex explorer II black, unloved even against the under rated polar.
    Yes I agree, the black Explorer II is very underrated, I love black dials and to me its a better looking watch than the polar, bar a few small visual differences and non rotating bezel its completely looked down on compared to its 16710 brother..

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Good point - details added.