closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Overrated and Underrated..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Perhaps not so much overrated as overpriced. Still the best looking watch there is to my eye, it's just a pity the price is determined by supply and demand and not materials and labour!
    Agree, money no object, 15202 is my genta reference of choice, perfect proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I think the thing with the Speedmaster Pro/Moonwatch is people look into the space link too much, if you read the hype and feel like the watch is some sort of extraordinary piece of horology because it went to the moon then you will be disappointed.

For me I love Speedmasters, yes the space missions help but as a stand alone watch they are great, especially vintage with patina combined with the Hesalite (not Hardlex )..
    This.

If you don't love the simplicity of the black and white dial of the Speedmaster, but think you 'need' one, it may be a disappointment, but if you do, the Moon project is a diversion.

Given the amount people pay to own some of Rolex's ghastly colour combo Subs and Daytonas, I can't see how anyone can be disappointed by the stylish simplicity of the Speedmaster at what is still a bargain price for a big name chrono.

Complaining about lack of WR and automatic movement is like complaining your Ferrari won't tow a caravan!

For me :

Overrated - Any G-Shock costing more than £100. They're really just fashion watches at this point, lumps of plastic (sometimes dressed in metal) with cheap quartz movements - I know there are plenty of other brands guilty of the latter, but none are consistently stated as 'must haves' by the watch cogniscenti.

For me, they're just a way for Casio to make money off the F91W design.

Underrated - Hard one. I find my Sinns are excellent watches for what I paid, but I'm not sure they're underrated as such.

Maybe Breitling - they consistently finish their watches exceptionally and I think they're too often disregarded as 'blingy', often followed by the standard response "I don't usually like Breitlings, but...".

Most brands are guilty of the odd abomination, Breitling certainly have a number, but then they seem to have a lot of watches compared to some other brands.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 13th October 2020 at 08:51.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Overrated - Nothing that I have owned so far. I was going to say, without personal experience, the Rolex ND Submariner, but I expect it's a damned good watch. I just can't see me paying the ridiculous prices to wear a watch that everyone else, even non-WIS are wearing in real or replica form. I am inexpert enough in Rolex to admit that they all look the same to me, excepting a date/non-date and the colour of the bezel. I would still rather have a Dornbluth made for me at less cost, with a shorter wait. A watch that the majority wouldn't recognise. Almost anything Omega should get a mention for the over-hyped marketing, especially the Speedmaster.

Underrated - Having mentioned the Speedy above, I really do like my X33 Speedmaster (gen 3 ?), which I bought from one of the fine fellows on this very forum. It's no better than a G-Shock in reality, except in looks, but the G-shocks really are fugly abominations imho. I especially enjoy the X33 lightness due to the Titanium, ana-digi configuration, the countdown timer and three alarms. A dislike is that if you take it to an Omega AD for a battery change, you come out £90 lighter from what I have read hereabouts. The X33 along with my Seamaster SMP300c are watches that I will keep. The CWC G10 deserves a mention too. Tough enough to have been (maybe still is?) an Army issue watch, with the ability to change your own battery with just a coin to open the manhole on the case.

Master
    Of what I’ve owned:

Over - Patek nautilus 5711 blue. I expected so much. Just didn’t do anything for me. Seeing these at 70k plus is quite staggering.

Under - VC 4500. Takes a while to realise but it has so much about it. Understated elegance that clearly goes under the radar until you handle and wear one.

Craftsman

Most Overrated and Underrated..

Great subject matter. I’m assuming I should reflect on watches that I own / have owned.

Most Overrated: Black Bay 58 (black) - it’s a nice watch but it’s 100% over-hyped. Nasty rivets, miss the micro-adjustment, the snowflake hands are too big for the smaller sized dial, the gilt is too much and the lume is an ugly shade.

Most underrated: Orient Bambino. Makes me so happy when I look at it on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Overrated: Seiko 6R15 movement (mid range)
    Underrated: Seiko NH35 movement (entry level)

I have watches with both and cannot tell the difference. Rotor movement is smooth and quiet, winding/setting is silky, accuracy good on either.

Most Overrated and Underrated..

What a great (and thought provoking) thread.

Looking back over the 58 watches I have bought in the last 15 years, I have two candidates for the over-rated category. Both happen to be forum darlings, ironically.

The first is the Breitling Aerospace. As a firm Breitling enthusiast, I felt that if I was going to venture into ana-digi territory the Aerospace was the watch I had to buy. This one, to be precise.

https://i.imgur.com/QXvfQ17.jpg

What a major disappointment. Although I genuinely tried hard to like it, I found it too light and insubstantial. Also all that crown twiddling to access the functions drove me completely bonkers. It just had to go.

My second most over-rated watch was my 2005 limited edition Speedmaster Professional Gemini 4. What a lovely looking watch.

https://i.imgur.com/Pf9UwE8.jpg

I loved the heritage and the hesalite, and at the time the novelty of a blue dial, blue bezel Speedy was an added attraction. However, I don’t think I have ever been so paranoid about getting a watch wet, and I found myself unable to live with a manual wind watch that was so difficult to manually wind! I finally gave up trying to convince myself that as a true WIS I ought to keep it, sold it and put the money towards my Navitimer World - a watch that I still own today.

In a similar vein, I also have two candidates for most under-rated, although both of these are considerably more left field.

In second place is a watch that I have only recently acquired, and which has already been nominated by langdalematt - the OceanX Sharkmaster 1000. Yes, it is a DSSD clone (mine being a James Cameron clone), but the quality is simply unbelievable for the £360 delivered that I paid.

Here it is alongside my 116660 DSSD.

https://i.imgur.com/ToW8RDg.jpg

Oh, and just as an added bonus the OceanX is actually more accurate than the Rolex (+1.2 seconds per day as opposed to +2 seconds per day!).

My top pick for the most under-rated watch I’ve ever owned is the Muehle-Glasutte Seebataillon GMT. What a cracking watch. Purchased through Chrono24 as a 1 year old but totally unused example, this has to be the most comfortable and most legible watch I’ve ever owned. The rubber strap with articulated end links is a masterpiece, the blue dial and bezel look fantastic against the grey Ti case and the GMT hand is incredibly easy to read.

I had no real idea what to expect when I bought it, but have been seriously impressed.

https://i.imgur.com/BA8lTec.jpg

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 17th October 2020 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Over-rated: The Seiko SKX. I love them. I loved mine when I had it. But since they've been discontinued, the prices have reached ridiculous levels, and they have attained an almost mythological status among watch collectors. The main thing the SKX had going for it was value for money, and I don't think they represent that any more.

Under-rated: The Seiko SNXS. The poor man's datejust. These classy little Seiko 5s punch way above their weight IMO. Again, the predominant appeal is value for money, but where the SKX can't deliver that any more, these definitely do. The bracelet is pants, and the 19mm lugs are slightly annoying, but otherwise I think these are perfect, and I'm surprised they aren't more of a forum favourite.
    Totally agree with this.

In being discontinued the SKX has lost the one thing that made it so special - the value proposition. With it’s hardlex crystal and antiquated movement it just isn’t worth the money that they go for these days compared to other options at similar price points like Steinharts and Glycines that get you sapphire crystal, ceramic bezels and ETAs.

And, as an owner of the SNXS79 and SNXS73 I totally agree they are superb watches at the price, the dials are so well done. I don’t even mind the bracelet - the jangly style enhances that vintage Datejust feel they give off.

For me, overrated - Seiko Alpinist. Something of an icon sure, I’ve had a couple myself. But, I’ve ultimately found it to be a bit too fussy with the extra (loose) crown and compass bezel. I have similar issues with the Explorer in that it gets revered as this understated tool watch and yet it’s covered in polished surfaces and indices, has loads of text on the dial and again is a bit too fussy and busy for what it is meant to represent.

Underrated - unpopular opinion perhaps but the Tag Heuer AquaRacer, especially the current line up, gets massively underrated in the dive/sports watch discussions. I think aesthetically they are extremely attractive, and yet very rugged at the same time. All the key features are top notch - highly legible, positive crown action, excellent bezel action, powerful dual coloured lume that lasts all night long, powerful cyclops, lovely supple comfy bracelet with a nicely done clasp, reliable well regulated movement (mine runs -1.8/day). The 41mm model has perfect proportions (47mm lug to lug, 20mm lug width - about the same as a Sub). Assuming you can get a discount at the AD which you usually can I think you’re getting a fantastic sports watch for your money and yet, whether it’s brand snobbery or entrenched dislike it just doesn’t seem to get the respect I feel a watch of its quality should.

Overrated - chronographs. What's the point of busying up a dial with a function that is almost never used? Otherwise specifically Daytonas and Nautilus, for the crazy prices.

Underrated - Bubblebacks. The prices have stayed fairly constant for decades, and I love the style & simplicity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Totally agree with this.

In being discontinued the SKX has lost the one thing that made it so special - the value proposition. With it’s hardlex crystal and antiquated movement it just isn’t worth the money that they go for these days compared to other options at similar price points like Steinharts and Glycines that get you sapphire crystal, ceramic bezels and ETAs.

And, as an owner of the SNXS79 and SNXS73 I totally agree they are superb watches at the price, the dials are so well done. I don’t even mind the bracelet - the jangly style enhances that vintage Datejust feel they give off.
    Have to agree, I have been fancying an SKX but just struggle to justify the price for what you get. I do really like them though.

Those SNXS are really nice for the money, just looked them up. Love the SNXS dial colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Have to agree, I have been fancying an SKX but just struggle to justify the price for what you get. I do really like them though.
    Quite a few people have said about the SKX007’s increasing in price, what’s the going rate now for a good condition watch?

Last time I looked I think the NOS watches were about £150..

Most Overrated - Rolex GMT - i had a very specific challenging and stressful experience with one - it was not worth the stress and uncertainty and there is now more pleasure to be had else where for me.

Most Underrated - PP Aquanaut - love it & no one else notices it - the perfect combination.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    Great subject matter. I’m assuming I should reflect on watches that I own / have owned.

Most Overrated: Black Bay 58 (black) - it’s a nice watch but it’s 100% over-hyped. Nasty rivets, miss the micro-adjustment, the snowflake hands are too big for the smaller sized dial, the gilt is too much and the lume is an ugly shade.

Most underrated: Orient Bambino. Makes me so happy when I look at it on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agree with BB58, bought one a week after it came out, the size of the case is spot on but hated the bracelet. The lack of micro-adjustment makes it very difficult to get a spot on fit. At the end of the day it's a decent buy at the price point but far from a no-brainer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Quite a few people have said about the SKX007’s increasing in price, what’s the going rate now for a good condition watch?

Last time I looked I think the NOS watches were about £150..
    Probably around £250-300

I ended up buying an upgraded SKX009 which had been professionally done with sapphire, hacking/manual winding, signed crown and black day/date for £300, I love it.

Craftsman
    Go on then -

Overrated - Tag Heuer Monaco, in my view, nothing but style over substance - I’ve never liked any iteration of it that I’ve seen, it isn’t comfortable to wear for me and I find the reverence for it puzzling. Countless other watches do what it does well and for less money.

Underrated - Breitling Aerospace - a light, affordable tool watch that does a hell of a lot for not silly money that carrier a premium badge, has premium build quality and is so packed with features I’m amazed I don’t see more of them in everyday use. One of the few true tool watches available today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Underrated - Breitling Aerospace - a light, affordable tool watch that does a hell of a lot for not silly money that carrier a premium badge, has premium build quality and is so packed with features I’m amazed I don’t see more of them in everyday use. One of the few true tool watches available today.
    It's funny - I have an Aerospace of which I'm very fond, but can't help feeling it's more over- than under-rated. The servicing costs esp/y do feel like silly money to me; I wonder about the build quality when so many owners are bugged by the floating-minute-hand issue which seems unique to the Aero; and it surely doesn't do more than your average G-Shock, many of which are solar / atomic and therefore very accurate and service-free (and bomb-proof) at under £100. That's the head talking; the heart wants to like it in the terms you describe ... I certainly do love the (lack of) weight and wrist comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    It's funny - I have an Aerospace of which I'm very fond, but can't help feeling it's more over- than under-rated. The servicing costs esp/y do feel like silly money to me; I wonder about the build quality when so many owners are bugged by the floating-minute-hand issue which seems unique to the Aero; and it surely doesn't do more than your average G-Shock, many of which are solar / atomic and therefore very accurate and service-free (and bomb-proof) at under £100. That's the head talking; the heart wants to like it in the terms you describe ... I certainly do love the (lack of) weight and wrist comfort.
    Get a full metal G shock for £450 and compare with the Aerospace. Functions, fit, finish, in many ways the GShock is the superior watch! Aerospace is a design classic so is forgiven but it gets its backside handed to it from a value perspective by the premium gshock for sure

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Agree with BB58, bought one a week after it came out, the size of the case is spot on but hated the bracelet. The lack of micro-adjustment makes it very difficult to get a spot on fit. At the end of the day it's a decent buy at the price point but far from a no-brainer.
    I could swear the BB58 has micro-adjust holes in the clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I could swear the BB58 has micro-adjust holes in the clasp?
    I think he means micro-adjustment for which you don’t need to get tools out every time it’s a hot day.

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I’ve never had to service one and never had any issues, I suspect love wild be hard to sustain at the business end of a big bill that I didn’t see coming. You’re right, of course. I have a G-Shock for the rough stuff that cost £80 and it does it all and more, as you say, it’s solar powered. I enjoy the romance of it being for a job. Similar to a Rolex Submariner. I don’t need that to dive with, but I like that I do. It’s definitely over romanticised! Settling the bezel just before I descend makes me feel like one of those important explorers who came before me, regardless of how ridiculous that sounds. Now, I’m not a pilot, but I want to think that pilots feel that way when they wear an aerospace to fly.

Perhaps this is all strong evidence for ‘over-rated’!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I think he means micro-adjustment for which you don’t need to get tools out every time it’s a hot day.

Simon
    I think the core BB line comes in the ‘over-rated’ category for me. I see it as what you buy if you can’t get a Submariner and I don’t see it having an identity that is its own. To me, I see it as the Sub’s cheaper, more available brother. I don’t doubt there’s more to it, but perception is everything.

The Pelagos, on the other hand, now that is its own watch and I love it. I would love to see that fantastic clasp on other dive watches in the range, but it’s such a great feature for a proper dive watch (whatever that is) that I can’t see it migrating anywhere else.

Now, if they took the words ‘rotor self winding’ off the dial, I’d buy one immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    People are so needy these days, doesn't everyone carry around a spring bar tool with them?!

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    I think the core BB line comes in the ‘over-rated’ category for me. I see it as what you buy if you can’t get a Submariner and I don’t see it having an identity that is its own. To me, I see it as the Sub’s cheaper, more available brother. I don’t doubt there’s more to it, but perception is everything.

The Pelagos, on the other hand, now that is its own watch and I love it. I would love to see that fantastic clasp on other dive watches in the range, but it’s such a great feature for a proper dive watch (whatever that is) that I can’t see it migrating anywhere else.

Now, if they took the words ‘rotor self winding’ off the dial, I’d buy one immediately.
    I never really understood this. If Tudor was never owned by Rolex and produced the exact same watch, I don't think anybody would be comparing the two any more so then comparing the Tag Aquaracer to the Sub etc. Is a Tag Aquaracer not also a cheaper, more available version of a very similar watch? (not meaning to single out any one watch, just an example)

Never really understood why the corporate structure seems to relegate Tudor to a 'cheap Rolex' for some who might otherwise be perfectly happy buying similarly priced watches.

Disclaimer - I do have a BB so I'm obviously biased

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Get a full metal G shock for £450 and compare with the Aerospace. Functions, fit, finish, in many ways the GShock is the superior watch! Aerospace is a design classic so is forgiven but it gets its backside handed to it from a value perspective by the premium gshock for sure
    I love my Aerospace though. No doubt you can have more for less, and if serviced by Breitling, which mine is and will continue to be, it costs the same as any mechanical watch. If you're cool with that, then it's great, and to be honest, no G-Shock has the same combination of easy wearability and feel good factor.

Some watches really defy logical analysis!

Dave
    Last edited by helidoc; 28th October 2020 at 16:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    People are so needy these days, doesn't everyone carry around a spring bar tool with them?!

I never really understood this. If Tudor was never owned by Rolex and produced the exact same watch, I don't think anybody would be comparing the two any more so then comparing the Tag Aquaracer to the Sub etc. Is a Tag Aquaracer not also a cheaper, more available version of a very similar watch? (not meaning to single out any one watch, just an example)

Never really understood why the corporate structure seems to relegate Tudor to a 'cheap Rolex' for some who might otherwise be perfectly happy buying similarly priced watches.

Disclaimer - I do have a BB so I'm obviously biased
    You’re right. I don’t really understand it myself. I suppose the relationship between Tudor and Rolex is well understood and it used to be that the two companies made very similar Submariners. Of course the BB and the Sub have no such commonality. I don’t think they share a single part. Yet here we are. Historic hangover perhaps?

The BB is a fine watch in its own right, don’t get me wrong.

Overrated. It must be the Speedy Moon. Far too expensive these days. (I bought my first one used for £150). Too light weight for my taste. Basic movement with a basic movement finish. Poor WR rating. A rather disappointing chronograph action too.

Underrated. Easy. The Retangula (Seiko 6105-8000 homage). An utter bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I love my Aerospace though. No doubt you can have more for less, and if serviced by Breitling, which mine is and will continue to be, it costs the same as any mechanical watch. If you're cool with that, then it's great, and to be honest, no G-Shock has the same combination of easy wearability and feel good factor.

Some watches really defy logical analysis!

Dave

Well I think the MRG-1200T Revman is at least a match for the Aerospace, given their similarity in twin LCD displays and functions.

Being an MRG it is really well made, it feels like a quality product on the wrist. At the time it was the most expensive watch Casio had produced.
    It also is full titanium, meaning it is much lighter than it might look. it dates from the late 90's but is more than a match for the Aerospace in functionality. As well as the dual time, alarms, stopwatch etc it has a lap mode where you can input the distance and display average speed it has a memory mode to retain and display a number of such laps.
    it also has an additional dual chronograph which can time two cars simultaneously, again displaying average speed etc for the two runners.
    Prior to the current smart phone etc age, this was quite impressive technology.

This is why Casio named it the Revman. I looks like an enormous beasty but it is only 2 mm bigger than the Aerospace in either direction and is quite a bit smaller than some of the current G Shocks.

Of course its looks are a matter of taste but I like the brutal design and the case is quite complex and there is always something of interest to catch the eye, an ordinary common or garden design it ain't. The side view is quite brutally spectacular with its mix of satin, brushed and mirror finishes. Part of the design is to help deliver the G Shock specs of 200m WR and their great shock resistance but I like the fact they have not been constrained by more conventional watch designs.

I must be convinced by the Revman as I have all three of its variants.

Mitch

Craftsman
    Over.. pp nautilus

Under.. milgauss z blue ( maybe getting less under rated these days )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk