closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Someone noticed my watch!

Someone noticed my watch!

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time it has happened.

“What’s that watch? It’s lovely!”

So what is the watch then?

I've only had someone comment unexpectedly on a watch a couple of times.

One was a Tissot PRC200 and the other my Steeldive MM300 alike.

Few people comment on my more expensive watches and then only people who know watches.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

If this kind of thing appeals to you, the most surefire way to invite comments is wearing a huge Invicta.
    Nice watch,btw.

It doesn't necessarily appeal to me and it isn't why I wear a watch obviously, but it was a great compliment for Ewan and I've passed it on to him.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If this kind of thing appeals to you, the most surefire way to invite comments is wearing a huge Invicta.
    Nice watch,btw.

As long as it wasn't 3 guys in Selfridges...

My Tag Heuer Super Pro always draws comments. Not too sure whether any are admiring mind. Majority ask what the hell it is usually followed by it looks odd (polite for ugly I think).

Lovely watch OP. I keep on hovering over the Panda offering.

Craftsman
    My Portuguese Chrono is my only watch that has drawn comments. Surprising as it’s a pretty simple looking watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I was approached by a manager at my pharmacy (drug store) recently, who raved about my new Wolbrook. He happens to also be a WIS and we chatted for 10-15 minutes about watches.

Only ever happened to me once, donkey's years ago. Seiko MM300 of all things.

I have only two watches which have attracted comments, one was in a pub where someone had noticed my red Tudor Black Bay. The other one which has received a few comments over the years is the PRS 40 (quartz) I should imagine because of the unusual crown position. The remaining 20+ watches have gone unnoticed.

A

I went for a job interview a couple of years ago and the CO who was interviewing me had an Omega Chrono on. He was telling me how he was into scuba diving and kept looking at my Planet Ocean, but never once said anything specific about watches. A very strange experience...

The only time I have had a positive comment was when I was wearing my Dad's vintage Accurist from the 1980's in a little coffee shop in Lincoln. A chap said to me, is that a vintage watch and I replied, yes, it's only a vintage Accurist are you into watches? He replied 'one of the Swiss-made movements before they went mainstream?'...we had a great chat after that.

Master
    The only one watches that I’ve owned that attracted any attention have been my Tag Heuer Monaco (blue) noticed by my solicitor when I signed some docs and my Seiko redraft which was noticed by my girlfriend with an accusationary “ is that a new watch” .... really what she was saying is “ how much was that” :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    My only watches that have ever had comments are grand seikos. Probably just the clean/sharp look that people take to nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Since I got in to the hobby in 2014 I've only had two people (non family members) comment on a watch I was wearing. The first was my Seiko Sarb 033 in 2015. One of my 9 year old students said "that's a nice watch".
    The second was my BLNR in 2019. One of my adult students said "we are paying you too much".

Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    I have only two watches which have attracted comments, one was in a pub where someone had noticed my red Tudor Black Bay. The other one which has received a few comments over the years is the PRS 40 (quartz) I should imagine because of the unusual crown position. The remaining 20+ watches have gone unnoticed.

A
    Actually, I have just remembered a third watch which attracted a comment (in this iinstance member of the opposite sex) my Omega Speedmaster Automatic (the 7750 itteration), in fact this one:

The young lady thought it was very cool looking

A

The only time someone has commented on my watch was when I asked one of the security personnel at Copenhagan airport for directions. I was wearing my black dialed Explorer 2. He said it was a good choice and asked if I used the GMT function often. I was a bit taken aback and mumbled something in return. He gave me a brief glance of his watch which looked like a Tudor. It felt strange but not upsetting. It was rather a strange day as the chap sitting opposite me on the flight was wearing a Sea Dweller. One of the cabin crew commented on it during a conversation with him. It seemed to be a watch recognition day! First and only time. :)

I was doing something regarding a driving license update one time and the guy behind the glass counter had a nice Seiko5.
    Whilst I was filling out a form he commented that my speedy pro was the watch of his dreams.
    We had a good chat after that.

I have a small 36mm Glycine Airman and a couple of lads at work have commented on that.

Craftsman

Had quite a few mentions of the above, mainly I suspect because gold and lizard are unusual for a younger person but also the domed crystal looks very vintagey.

Dial on my Seiko Cocktail Time has inspired a few questions, including a surprising 'is that guilloche '!

My SKX007 got noticed by a kayaking instructor who was also wearing one!

So fewer than ten notices in as many years of watch wearing. I'd of thought that was pretty bad if it wasn't for the comments above from members with incredible collections. Thanks TZ-UK!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

The one and only time was a delivery driver who saw my Precista PRS10 and said he was issued with one when he was in the Army. I advised he would have been issued with a similar looking CWC.

Master
    About two weeks ago my watch got noticed for all the wrong reasons by two youths, I had my bi metal sub on and these two took a particular shine to it going “man look that’s a Rolex” etc, I thought I was about to send them away with tail between their legs Or they may just of been extremely impressed with my time piece

Master
    Happened to me twice, once when a guy asked if my Planet Ocean was real and just the other week when a guy noticed my Haldor Abissi and wanted to know all about it.

A colleagues said my Fortis B-42 looked like a salesman's watch.

We were in nothing like sales BTW.

Journeyman
    Of all my watches the only one that got noticed in a charity shop by an elderly volunteer behind the till was an Orient divers watch where I had replaced the strap with a beautiful brown leather one.

The watch was later sold to a young buyer in Russia using eBay. He loved it too.

Only twice. A few weeks ago I had a guy in a Sainsbury's petrol station comment on my Oris Hammerhead, had a brief conversation about watches - he collected Rolex and Tudor.
    Previous to that a few years ago a female colleague commented on an Eberhard Mareoscope I had at the time, declaring it "lovely"!

Only once has a complete stranger noticed and commented on my watch and it was such an awkward experience.

Sat at a table having a coffee with my boss talking work and a guy sat alone on the next table tapped me on the arm and started asking questions about my watch and making conversation. It was a Rolex and my boss was also wearing a Rolex so he tried to talk to her about watches too and it was terrible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is member on here.

I've had watches noticed a few times at work but generally wear a Seiko or a no date Sub in the office depending on what I have in the diary that day. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is be the sales guy who turns up to a client meeting in a Rolex. Weird as other times it's the best thing you can do. Odd world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Only once has a complete stranger noticed and commented on my watch and it was such an awkward experience.

Sat at a table having a coffee with my boss talking work and a guy sat alone on the next table tapped me on the arm and started asking questions about my watch and making conversation. It was a Rolex and my boss was also wearing a Rolex so he tried to talk to her about watches too and it was terrible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is member on here.

I've had watches noticed a few times at work but generally wear a Seiko or a no date Sub in the office depending on what I have in the diary that day. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is be the sales guy who turns up to a client meeting in a Rolex. Weird as other times it's the best thing you can do. Odd world.
    Yes I see loads of Rolex out here in Spain but I would never dream of going up to a stranger to discuss his watch, it is just plain spooky.

The only people who notice my watches are are other WIS pals and that's only because they want to bid on them.

Civilians couldn't care less.

I don't think I'd ever approach a stranger about their watch unless maybe it was old and interesting and I wanted to bid them on it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I have a couple of friends who ask what watch I'm wearing, I suspect they are just humoring me.

I have had complimentary comments on two watches
    A Christopher Ward C5 Aviator and a basic Tissot Powermatic 80

No stranger has ever commented on on my Explorer 1, SD16600 or Omega Speedmaster

Master
    DSSD JC has been commented upon many times by various colleagues. One commented upom a PAM Luminor once, mostly because she had bought her huaband one for a wedding present.

I think I may have won a contract on the back of a client recognising a watch. I had just completed a presentation and we were just having a bit of small talk when he asked “is that a snowflake” watch talk then ensued.
    The next time I met the client he looked at my wrist and said “Speedy, nice watch but I prefer the Tudor”
    Every time we have met since we have a quick chat about watches.

Craftsman
    A few people have commented on my Planet Ocean. However - I spot everyones watch

...coming out of a highly recommended "local" Pizzeria in Naples, on a back street, 2 guys taunted me saying they liked my watch, they might take it off me. Proper scary, but I figured they couldn't know what it was from the distance and I think they perhaps resented what they saw as a rich tourist slumming in their neighbourhood and were just trying to put the wind up me.

- - - Updated - - -