closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should you buy a Rolex Daytona?

Craftsman

Should you buy a Rolex Daytona?

Perhaps the question should be changed to “Can you even ...”, but this is a good summary of the Daytona, nay Cosmograph and worth a look. It poses some interesting thoughts.

https://youtu.be/ACuaGhOCon4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Perhaps the question should be changed to “Can you even ...”, but this is a good summary of the Daytona, nay Cosmograph and worth a look. It poses some interesting thoughts.

https://youtu.be/ACuaGhOCon4

What was the conclusion? Ended up not watching as it as (a) Watchfinder and (b) 13 minutes long!

Presume they would like you to buy one so they can keep making ludicrous mark ups on them!

It's a beautiful watch, IMHO, but the ceramic bezel has ruined the steel models for me. Also, unless you have very good eyesight, it's difficult to see the time.

Banned

Should you buy a Rolex Daytona?

The answer to this question will always be yes, even if you pay over the odds due to the shortage of stock, prices will always catch up, not that I feel a watch like this should be flipped

Yes. I've had 4 and would love to have any of those back, but with the way prices have gone I think that's a pipe dream.

I had a TT mark 1 floating dial Zenith full set, a TT mark 1 floating dial Zenith with the porcelain dial, a SS white dial Zenith and a Ceramic white dial.

Selling each one seemed sensible at the time. If only I had listened to Mick

The simple answer for me is a resounding yes!

It’s the watch I’ve always dreamt of, the watch that even as a teenager was something I aspired to and the watch that has kept me interested in the horological world, throughout that time. I’ve never owned one though. I chose a Speedy as my first ‘proper’ watch and became less obsessed as life became more about work and family. Now that I have more time and let’s be honest, more available cash to enjoy this hobby, I’ve missed the boat and fully expect my place on ‘the list’ to take me through to my dotage. There’s more chance of a precious metal one taking that slot in my ultimate collection. A first world problem, if ever there was one!

As for the Watchfinder video, well I enjoyed it. No real hard sell but a short and relatively sweet overview of the whole Daytona thing. Thanks for posting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldnt because I dont like them.
    I had one and found it profoundly disappointing so flipped it within a week

They are kinda small and, as said, not the easiest dials to read on a glance; I bought one to tick the box but unlikely will have another.

There are no watches that one SHOULD buy.
    If you like the watch, the price and can afford it, you MAY buy it.
    Personally, I like it ( with and without ceramic bezel)and contrary to the oft repeated complaints, unless one is challenged sight wise, it is easy to tell the time.
    I am not sure what the video is about as don’t want to spend 13 min over it.

Master
    Yes if you are Rolex sports watch fan, if only to try, feels silky and refined vs the divers etc

Master
    Thanks for posting the video. I found a spare 13 minutes and watched it and enjoyed it.

Some interesting info included in there.

Craftsman
    It’s Daytona week on utube another Vid posted this week.

Must be struggling to sell them.

https://youtu.be/pT4ebBVUitg

I would like a Zenith example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m not a Daytona expert but I had one of the pre-ceramic ones (bought off SC for less than RRP when such things were possible) back in ??2014 ish I think... and it felt like a girls watch; lasted a week and it went back (it was faulty anyway, so was going back for that reason, but I still thought it was a dainty, sparkly little trinket more suited to a ladies watch).

So, no, you don’t have to buy a Daytona!

That said, I do think the new ceramic one looks much more masculine and I’d like to see if it felt that way in the hand.

Had one, flipped it and wouldn’t go back. For me it joins the Aquanaut at the top of my list of most overrated watches.
    Buy one if you like it but just don’t take it for certain that it will blow you away just because of the hype surrounding them.

Blog Entries
    Yes..
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Like any watch - if you like them, yes, else, no.

As others have said they are not to everyones taste - maybe appearing on the small size. Money wise: you probably won't lose money in the long run, most likely make some, if that is your reason for buying.

Master
    Interesting opinions on this thread. I guess if most were offered one at retail they would buy it.

I once tried on a ceramic daytona and loved it. It felt very different to the Rolex divers and in a good way. Felt comfortable and just sat really well on the wrist.

I would love to one day add one to the collection.

Think if buying a Daytona just now would look at buying a preowned gold on bracelet version , they appear much better value compared to the steel . And some of the dials are nicer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubymac View Post
    Think if buying a Daytona just now would look at buying a preowned gold on bracelet version , they appear much better value compared to the steel . And some of the dials are nicer
    Couldn’t agree more; they just feel and look better ( as they should). A gold Daytona just feels nicer on the wrist. And often doesn’t cost much more than a steel ceramic. They’re presumably made to the same standard, but they somehow feel better built.
    And with white gold you’l have a real ‘stealth’ version. Nothing too flashy.

Craftsman
    Bought two , white dial bought in 2003 iirc, black dial bought a bit later , paid list which then was £3670 .

No sticker removal or guarantee withholding back in those days either.

I wear the white dial regularly, the black dial has never been worn.

Agree with they a hard to read dial but it’s a nice piece overall.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, especially the Zenith.

Master
    I agree on the dial variety, personally I love the blue dial white gold version. But at c. £30k 'better value' is subjective I guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I agree on the dial variety, personally I love the blue dial white gold version. But at c. £30k 'better value' is subjective I guess.
    Well, you mention a very limited version, made over a short period ; when I got one they were just another Daytona, but then got mentioned by John Meyer, , and prices went wild.
    I sold mine for less than 20k. Now I can’t afford one. But you can get gold versions for a lot less than that.
    For example, ‘Enoch’ on SC has been offering an almost new WG/silver dial version for around £27K, when some steel ones are fetching 22k. And earlier gold ones are quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited by paskinner; 10th October 2020 at 12:15.

Master
    Still showing as current on the site? I had thought the Meyer craze was the yellow gold with green dial.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmog...6509-0071.html

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, you mention a very limited version, made over a short period ; when I got one they were just another Daytona, but then got mentioned by John Meyer, , and prices went wild.
    I sold mine for less than 20k. Now I can’t afford one. But you can get gold versions for a lot less than that.
    For example, ‘Enoch’ on SC has been offering an almost new WG/silver dial version for around £27K, when some steel ones are fetching 22k. And earlier gold ones are quite a bit cheaper.

Yup this is a cracker

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

Got offered one of these last week from the Glasgow boutique and it is a lovely dial.
    The John Meyer connection obviously didn't do for the blue dial what it did for the green dial.

Master
    No...tried on the white ceramic and it was too small and hard to read with my 57 year old eyes.

Yes, the 116500LN is the perfect size for my 6.75 inch wrist!

Actually - since I posted two days ago I have now sold my ceramic Daytona and replaced it with a sub date (116610LN) - it’s like an old friend back on the wrist plus an extra £10k in the bank account - so, I am changing my vote on whether you should buy a Daytona to no - at least if you would be paying grey prices for a Daytona. If you can get it at msrp, then fine....

Master
    Wow, that was a very quick change of heart.

The 116610LN and 114060 models will be classics one day, last of the 40mm etc. However, the 116500 already is.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Actually - since I posted two days ago I have now sold my ceramic Daytona and replaced it with a sub date (116610LN) - it’s like an old friend back on the wrist plus an extra £10k in the bank account - so, I am changing my vote on whether you should buy a Daytona to no - at least if you would be paying grey prices for a Daytona. If you can get it at msrp, then fine....
    Don't blame you at all.

Master
    I currently own the previous black dial 116520 and the new panda 116500LN and I love them both. Primarily, I like the fact that they are actually quite "small" ie they wear like a 38-39mm watch that is quite thin and for someone like me with thin wrists, its an extremely comfortable watch. So thats the 1st positive. The 2nd positive is that it has no stupid date cutout and the dial remains pure and functional.

Overall its a classic design and if you can get one at a good price, then I would not hesistate.

I went down the classic route with this 6239:

I've not regretted it one bit. I'm on the list for a new one but, as we all know, that is highly unlikeable to materialise any time soon. But this is a birth year (1969) watch for me too so extra special.

Craftsman
    Yes, if you are going to use all the complications as they were designed for. No, if only to tell the time. Apart from buying an item that is capable of so much more than you'll need; just think how much a service will cost for functions you wouldn't use.

Master
    I've always wanted one.

However they may as well just be 3D renders or concept watches - I'm never going to be able to get one.

Frankly the process of going to stores and being laughed at as soon as you say the word "Daytona" is demeaning. I'm out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Got offered one of these last week from the Glasgow boutique and it is a lovely dial.
    The John Meyer connection obviously didn't do for the blue dial what it did for the green dial.
    Hold out for the Zenith, it's the best automatic Daytona there is and that's why it's so sought after. It has the most easily readable sub dials goingl. If you buy another model you will almost certainly end up flipping it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post

I've not regretted it one bit. I'm on the list for a new one but, as we all know, that is highly unlikeable to materialise any time soon. But this is a birth year (1969) watch for me too so extra special.
    Now that IS nice

Spot on, why you'd buy a Stainless model at the same price or more than a Gold model is beyond me, especially given as you say how much nicer some of the dials are, white gold if you want to keep it low key.

I have a 116520 - picked up relatively cheaply (under list!) when the new ceramics came out. The Daytona works best when it is has less contrast - the new ceramic in white just comes across as a toy because of the high contrast. The older model will age better IMO.

One of the last Rolex that has not been upsized - it must be due the 'treatment' soon. Because of the relatively conservative size, it'll age a lot better.

Master
    The size is both a strength and weakness. Yes, it’s slim and graceful on the wrist. But the result is a too small and over-crowded dial, crammed with three sub dials and too much writing. The complaints about lack of ‘readability’ never go away.
    Contrast with the legibility of a Speedy. It’s a dramatic improvement. That’s why, purely for me, the Speedy is the better design. Not better made, or as rugged, just better designed for the job .
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th October 2020 at 10:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Spot on, why you'd buy a Stainless model at the same price or more than a Gold model is beyond me, especially given as you say how much nicer some of the dials are, white gold if you want to keep it low key.
    Where are all these gold models which are same price or less than the steel? As I don't see any anywhere! Example, cheapest steel daytona I can see on WF right now is a 116520 at £17.3k. Or you an get a 116500 for £22.5k. Cheapest gold is YG is a 23 year old 16528 with no box or papers for £27.5k. Cheapest WG is £27k on Oysterflex or £31.6k on gold bracelet.

Of course WF prices are high, only quoting as a comparison of Gold vs. Steel.

Master

That is indeed special wow! Great catch

You should definitely buy a Daytona if it looks like this. its an icon, its a looker, however you can't buy it from an AD even if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Where are all these gold models which are same price or less than the steel? As I don't see any anywhere! Example, cheapest steel daytona I can see on WF right now is a 116520 at £17.3k. Or you an get a 116500 for £22.5k. Cheapest gold is YG is a 23 year old 16528 with no box or papers for £27.5k. Cheapest WG is £27k on Oysterflex or £31.6k on gold bracelet.

Of course WF prices are high, only quoting as a comparison of Gold vs. Steel.
    Fair point, you're right, it's been a while since I looked but last time I did I saw used Gold Daytonas for 21-22k, I'm guessing they've all been bought up given the ludicrous price of the stainless models now.

Here's a Stainless and Gold though at the same price of £24,995.00

Stainless
    https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...b635a1&rank=21

Gold
    https://www.watches.co.uk/rolex-cosm...saAjBNEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Vanguard; 13th October 2020 at 12:06.

Master
    Gold models have gone up, like most Rolex models. Crazy market. But it’s still an interesting comparison. We could pay £22000 for a ceramic, white dial. But ‘Enoch’ of this Parish was offering a few months old white gold Daytona for £28,000. So £6k extra for a virtually new gold model. Now compare with retail. The 116500 is more than twice retail. The gold Daytona is less than retail (about 31k).
    You still get more for your money. A lot more. As I said, interesting.

Master
    What are people’s thoughts on the two tone 116503 or 16523 (with zenith movement?)

These still seem to be trading at just below list, not very loved it seems but I actually thought they’re better ‘value’ than a SS one

Banned
    [QUOTE=jpjsavage;5555952]I went down the classic route with this 6239:

This piece is in a league of its own to be honest, my absolute grail piece

Master
    A nice Daytona takes some beating but for daily wear I prefer my old Seadweller.

[QUOTE=Woodguy;5556389]

This piece is in a league of its own to be honest, my absolute grail piece
    One of my grails too. It came up here earlier this year and completely derailed my watch buying plans for 2020! But very pleased I have been able to add this to my small collection.

Master

If only Rolex had stuck with this; it’s lovely. To my eyes, much better looking than the current model.

To answer the original question... I think it depends how Rolex-centric your collection is. I think any Rolex collection needs a Daytona but there are many ( dare I say ) better watches for half the price of a steel/unobtanuim Daytona.
    I'm old so was lucky to buy my white at list when they were £3650
    ( Ok so I bought a black dial for £11k too but that now seems like a bargain ) It's nuts really.