closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero's and villain's.

Hero's and villain's.

Over time I have bought and sold a couple of items in the SC and in the main I have been really pleased with the experience (thanks Eddie and TZ).

But on a couple of occasions I couldn't rate the seller a villain or a hero but the deals left me "disappointed", could almost do with a middle of the road category.

An example of one deal that disappointed, last year an iPhone was advertised at a price, I contacted the seller and said yes please and can I have your details, no haggling and full payment made.

Seller received payment and then told me he had got the memory spec wrong and increased the price by £30/£35, I paid as it was for one of my grand kids but it did leave a bit of a taste in my mouth, not a villain nor an hero.

I have one of those middle of the road deals going through at the moment

That’s definitely worthy of a villain post IMHO.
    You had a deal with the seller who should have honoured the original deal. It was his error after all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s not on in my book,bad form indeed.

Villain behaviour for certain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hope the current deal goes through okay. Looks like you may have some helpers now with how to rate the deal.

There was a certain “stinky” person that messed up a lot of iPhone sales in a similar sounding way, last year.

If it were that chap then I think there have been posts made about the issues and he has stopped selling on TZ now.

If you have a similar type of thing going on there’s no harm in alerting others.

You also don’t have to term it as one or the other in your post.

Definite villain post. Trying to sponge another £35 out of you for his mistake? Weasel!

EDIT: I did a 'Fair to middling' H&V post for a deal that wasn't worthy of out and out villain, but it wasn't entirely great either. The subsequent meltdown by the seller and his comments prompted a swift edit to full on 'Villain' status.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 9th October 2020 at 13:14.

I ummed and arrrrghed about writing a villain post for a transaction I went through.

I bit the bullet and left a mild villain post on H&V as I thought it was the right thing to do.

As soon as I uploaded the H&V post I had a few PMs saying their deals had been less than stellar with the same individual. Nothing totally villainous, but nevertheless unsettling.

Given that only (for example) 1 in 10 people will complain about a less than stellar deal, I believe a lot of deals that are not great, but don’t warrant a true villain post do happen on this forum more than we think.

When I posted my semi villain post, I was immediately set upon by cheerleaders of the individual in question. So, bear that in mind, as that was uncomfortable.

Subsequent the individuals H&V got worse and I haven’t seen him selling on the forum recently. This validated my original concern. Occams Razor.

Same here, been sold one with bezel and bezel insert scratched to hell ( but it comes with a brand new one - you just need to get it fitted said the honest seller )
    Sent it to watchmaker and they emailed me, the part is wrong, wont fit the watch )

Also regularly get sold with blank or foreign greay dealer warranty card or no date / stamp ( i learnt to ask for photo of warranty card )

Wrong manual.

Condition not as described, poor timekkeping or other issues and not rare either.

Watch what you are doing, there are a few bad people lurking IMO

If you're not sure if it's one or the other then you could say so in the title of the thread, for example 'Username - you decide' or 'Username - unsure'

Keep the rest of the post factual and free of any form of exaggeration or emotion.

^^^ Beaten to it...
    The thread is there as H&V, but you can put whatever feedback you like in there - much as you have just done here. The feedback does not have to be 100% polarised into either Hero or Villain.

Just be honest and factual and let others make up their minds what they think about what happened.
    Could always title the thread with 'make your own mind up' or similar.

I would rather see some feedback than none, even if it was nit definitive - particularly given the circumstances you describe - which sounds like very poor form.

Positive neutral and negative.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Same here, been sold one with bezel and bezel insert scratched to hell ( but it comes with a brand new one - you just need to get it fitted said the honest seller )
    Sent it to watchmaker and they emailed me, the part is wrong, wont fit the watch )

Also regularly get sold with blank or foreign greay dealer warranty card or no date / stamp ( i learnt to ask for photo of warranty card )

Wrong manual.

Condition not as described, poor timekkeping or other issues and not rare either.

Watch what you are doing, there are a few bad people lurking IMO

Why didn't you post any of these on the H&V? Or are you talking about deals generally in the wider world? Sounds like you've had plenty of bad ones.

There's nothing stopping you from posting neutral feedback, so something like "DodgyDude - Meh" for the title, and then justification in the body text.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    There was a certain “stinky” person that messed up a lot of iPhone sales in a similar sounding way, last year.

If it were that chap then I think there have been posts made about the issues and he has stopped selling on TZ now.

If you have a similar type of thing going on there’s no harm in alerting others.

You also don’t have to term it as one or the other in your post.
    I saw his problems but it wasent him.

There should be a “villains” thread for incorrect use of apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why didn't you post any of these on the H&V? Or are you talking about deals generally in the wider world? Sounds like you've had plenty of bad ones.
    I did make one Villain one for someone who insisted on doing the deal on whatsapp outside of the forum and ignored my messages on here for days and didnt pay.

Others i didnt really want to make a big deal of, the villain threads can get quite nasty and heated.

The one with the bezel they offered a return and refund if i remember but refused to pay the delivery both ways to the watchmaker, there and back and the inspection fee or for me to deliver it back to them for the refund. They seemed to think a watchmaker would take off the old bezel and try to fit the new non fitting one and not charge me a single penny for their time lol.
    So i just paid £60 for the watchmaker to mill out the bezel so it would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Tapatalk doesn’t recognise apostrophes if you are also wondering why some many people (including myself) appear to write without apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Tapatalk doesn’t recognise apostrophes if you are also wondering why some many people (including myself) appear to write without apostrophes.
    I think he was talking about the "wasent", or the thread title.

Problem is these lesser issues may not contravene a full on Villain but still need to be noted to the wider membership, its to save others a load of potential hassle.

We really need to not be concerned about naming a problem seller, its their problem and they need to fess up and deal with it or lose their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think he was talking about the "wasent", or the thread title.
    Indeed. It will have to be a “villain’s” thread!

Its good that in these strange times we find ourselves in due to covid some can still focus on the REALLY important things in life :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Its good that in these strange times we find ourselves in due to covid some can still focus on the REALLY important things in life :)
    Apostrophes are important. Nothing wrong with spending a little time learning about correct usage, if only to avoid being pulled up here for their misuse.

In the meantime, who was it who stiffed an additional £35 out of you for that iPhone?
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 10th October 2020 at 01:05.

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

Let's eat Grandma.*

*Not an apostrophe, I know...

Master
    I bought an iPhone a year or so ago off someone on SC.

Had to return it as it was faulty (I took it to Apple and they said it wasn’t fully functional since it had an aftermarket screen fitted).

Arranged to return it to the seller who promised to cover the postage costs, but never did.

Like the OP; it didn’t warrant a ‘villain’ but I was a bit annoyed at having been misled by not being told it had a non-Apple screen replacement and also at my return postage costs not being reimbursed as seller promised.

A third ‘meh’ category would have been useful as he was neither a hero nor a villain.

Villain posts attract such a sensation and so many comments, that I’m genuinely afraid to ever use it except in very extreme circumstances (I have never left a ‘villain’ comment yet)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I bought an iPhone a year or so ago off someone on SC.

Had to return it as it was faulty (I took it to Apple and they said it wasn’t fully functional since it had an aftermarket screen fitted).

Arranged to return it to the seller who promised to cover the postage costs, but never did.

Like the OP; it didn’t warrant a ‘villain’ but I was a bit annoyed at having been misled by not being told it had a non-Apple screen replacement and also at my return postage costs not being reimbursed as seller promised.

A third ‘meh’ category would have been useful as he was neither a hero nor a villain.

Villain posts attract such a sensation and so many comments, that I’m genuinely afraid to ever use it except in very extreme circumstances (I have never left a ‘villain’ comment yet)
    No reason you can’t use any category you wish, doesn’t have to be or .

Agree about the villain posts though. Anyone posting a villain post about the well-known phone seller would get loads of pointless replies to the contrary and he got away with bad service for years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No reason you can’t use any category you wish, doesn’t have to be or .

Agree about the villain posts though. Anyone posting a villain post about the well-known phone seller would get loads of pointless replies to the contrary and he got away with bad service for years.
    Who is the chap you’re referring to? Just wonder if it’s the same as the one I dealt with? (I can’t remember the username of my guy now, but I might recognise it)

Master
    Who is the chap you’re referring to? Just wonder if it’s the same as the one I dealt with? (I can’t remember the username of my guy now, but I might recognise it)
    Vinstink?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Vinstink?
    No, my guy wasn’t him.

I do remember vinstink - he used to sell *masses* of like new, days old stuff for seemingly less than he paid. Constantly had stuff on SC. He was regarded widely as a ‘goodun’ though, so although I didn’t know him myself, I’m surprised.

On another forum I frequent I often get told about villainous members and dealings in total confidence and told that under no circumstances can I repeat what I have been told as the member telling me does not want to get involved in a s**t storm and lets face it most of us just want to enjoy a hobby with no stress.

Over time the same member can get mentioned to me by a few but never called out and so the problems continue but in the back ground.

Master
    No, my guy wasn’t him.

I do remember vinstink - he used to sell *masses* of like new, days old stuff for seemingly less than he paid. Constantly had stuff on SC. He was regarded widely as a ‘goodun’ though, so although I didn’t know him myself, I’m surprised.
    Those who posted negative feedback on him got shot down in flames by others. But he was pocketing large sums of money and taking ages to provide the phones people had paid for. He’s disappeared from here since the last villain post. No activity since February 2020.

Vinstink?
    Yes, that's who I was thinking of. As a dealer didn't contribute much either.

Craftsman
    I know what the OP means. I have had 3 instances of feeling a bit dispirited, but it has been more along the lines of not meeting what I think of as a good, high standard rather than thinking they are a villain. Make up your own mind:

1) A watch I bought on here arrived with basically just a single sheet of brown wrapping paper around the presentation box. The box was quite marked and a couple of corners dented and I don't know if that was already there or from having so little protection when sent to me. When selling anything I tend to end up with a parcel 5x the size of the item through packing, bubble wrap, cardboard etc.

2) A watch I bought from here arrived visibly dirty in terms of grime in back of casing, skin in strap etc. Watch itself was fine after I cleaned it. Sending something that hadn't been fully cleaned just isn't something I could ever contemplate!

3) Bought a watch on here to find when it arrived the 2nd keeper was missing from the strap. Otherwise watch was fine. Looked back at sales post and none of the pictures showed this bit of the strap. Contacted seller as not mentioned in sales post who apologised and whilst they did offer to look into it, I left it at that.

Blog Entries
    The amount of times people jump all over you if you leave a review less than stellar puts you off

I sold something to a real tool

I brought something from ‘one of the good guys’ that wasn’t great

Not enough on either to put myself though having every aspect of the deal interrogated…

Looks like second hand phones are a common denominator for disappointing transactions.

Likewise bought an IPhone which developed an issue within a few days of receipt. Seller said was under warranty so Apple should sort. In other words now your problem. Had I been the seller, I would have asked for the return of the phone and refunded without hesitation.

Despite three wasted trips to an Apple store to remedy, they couldn’t fix. Duly donated it for parts and chalked it up to experience. Ironically seller has since had some watches for sale that I’d have probably bought, but I’ve steered clear on the back of this particular experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I bought something from ‘one of the good guys’ that wasn’t great
    Me too. I bought a Seiko watch of a "good guy" that had a pi$$in big scratch on the crystal. Wasn't over the moon but it wasn't a large amount of money but he failed to mention it, photos never showed it.
    I just decided never to buy off him again. If I had have pulled him publicly, I may have got roasted because he's a regular contributor and a "good guy"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Me too. I bought a Seiko watch of a "good guy" that had a pi$$in big scratch on the crystal. Wasn't over the moon but it wasn't a large amount of money but he failed to mention it, photos never showed it.
    I just decided never to buy off him again. If I had have pulled him publicly, I may have got roasted because he's a regular contributor and a "good guy"
    Yeah…. It’s a question of balance I suppose

I’ve brought a fair amount of SC and my experience has been quite amazing on pretty every deal (over and above)

I know I’ve got things wrong…. A very patient chap received a box (watch was fine) where Royal Mail had put it through the mangle…. The hinge had come loose he fixed it and was fine… I felt awful (could I have packaged it better??? etc.). Sometimes it’s just the way it goes….

It’s how you respond… I’d never deny a reasonable return (or even an unreasonable one in all likelihood)

Heroes and villains is a bit binary. The vast majority of transactions here are very positive, and those that go wrong often go wrong quite spectacularly, but there are those that fall somewhere in between which go unreported due to the feeling that it is easiest to just not leave feedback if you feel ambivalent.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Those who posted negative feedback on him got shot down in flames by others. But he was pocketing large sums of money and taking ages to provide the phones people had paid for. He’s disappeared from here since the last villain post. No activity since February 2020.
    I think I was the first to step out and post (semi) negative feedback on him. You would have thought I was attacking the Pope the way I was vilified as the wrong ‘un at the time.

I can’t remember the amount maybe £1500, or a bit more or less, I can’t remember. But it was my money that was sitting in his account and he was p1ssing me around.

Now, I know now he has always refunded, but you don’t know that at the time, and I certainly don’t need that stressful sh1t from what is a forum built on trust.

He’s not around anymore, because after me he had a string of people he p1ssed around, and his anyone who looked at his H&V now would not touch him with a barge pole if he came back.

But, there is still plenty of folk around who would still say he is one of the good guys.

Vinstink screwed me over when I was a relative newbie, and I could see then that I didn't stand a chance with a villain thread. It took a while but karma got there in the end.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Vinny got desperate with the iPhone selling in the end. Putting them up before he had them in hand.
    I hope he’s ok, as he wasn’t in a great place last time I spoke to him.

Why desperate? Should have just stopped selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why desperate? Should have just stopped selling.
    I’m not going to go into detail, but I think you understand what is meant by when I say “desperate”.

Master
    I’ll respond to this as you’ve said ‘in the end’ because that’s not true - he was doing it for years to people on here, so very sad if things were desperate for him earlier this year, but the way he acted on here wasn’t a sudden thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Vinny got desperate with the iPhone selling in the end. Putting them up before he had them in hand.
    I hope he’s ok, as he wasn’t in a great place last time I spoke to him.
    This is exactly my situation - I also got screwed over by him years ago and as a newbie new I had no chance so didn’t post. Something I came to regret. I bought currency off him and it went well. He (not me, him) contacted me months later saying he had more and as our deal went so smoothly did I want it. I paid him a four figure sum straight away and then battled for two or three weeks to get my money back as he clearly wasn’t sending me the currency. He apologised profusely and said he would get the currency to me in the future and once I’d received it I could then pay him to make up for it. Next thing is he’s selling the same amount of currency for more money on SC. I messaged him and he basically told me where to go.

Ironically a similar thread to this appeared and I put my experience in that without naming anyone - I had pm’s from established members saying they knew exactly who I was talking about as similar things had happened to them.

Unfortunately all the people that defended him in previous villain posts meant he continued to get away with shoddy service/sales for far longer than he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Vinstink screwed me over when I was a relative newbie, and I could see then that I didn't stand a chance with a villain thread. It took a while but karma got there in the end.
    Last edited by Devonian; 10th October 2020 at 08:40.

Hero's and villain's.

Generally, every villain has previously had a lot of positive transactions and so gets lots of support.

Supporters (and we all do it) want to support people with whom we’ve built a rapport so don’t want to hear of other people’s less than positive dealings.

What we all should do, is to take each transaction on its merit and accept that the villain may actually be a villain in this instance rather than doggedly and vigorously defending that person. After all, every one of us usually thinks long and hard before posting anything negative and only dies do with good reason.

Edit: but Vinstink was a bad un!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I’m not going to go into detail, but I think you understand what is meant by when I say “desperate”.
    In other threads people are discussing Covid scammers. Maybe they're desperate too?

Blog Entries

Hero's and villain's.

Not sure about a Villian but boring_sandwich is a tyre kicker. I have had numerous messages from him about watches and straps etc. I have been selling. Must have expressed interest in about five items this year alone. LOTS and LOTS of questions etc which of course is fine if you are genuinely interested. Pictures and videos sent by WhatsApp only for a final message to say he wasn’t interested.

From memory over the last three months or so ....

My blue AT 2500
    My Seadweller
    My Rubber B strap (apparently he wanted a pouch which doesn’t come with the strap)

Total time waster and one of only two forum members I wouldn’t deal with again. I was less polite on our last communication exchange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 10th October 2020 at 10:13.

I bought an iPad here from Vinstink that he had donated to the fundraiser. iPad never arrived and I obviously couldn’t get my money back. From memory it was around £100
    Last edited by mr.chef; 10th October 2020 at 12:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I bought an iPad here from Vinstink that he had donated to the fundraiser. iPad never arrived and I obviously couldn’t get my money back. From memory it was around £1000
    In which case he’s a thief. Absolutely despicable behaviour.