closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lost Screw... Can you help?

Craftsman

Lost Screw... Can you help?

Good morning...

My dad's Seiko Kinetic 5M63-OB90 needed a new capacitor fitting.

Long story short...

...Whilst replacing the capacitor cover plate I managed to lose one of the screws.

Picked it up with the tweezers, applied too much pressure, and 'ping' off it shot across the bench and onto the floor.

I heard it drop and bounce and was pretty sure I knew where about's it might be.

But after far too much time on my hands and knees searching, I've had to accept it's lost.

So...

...I need a new screw, but have no idea what size, type, or even where to source such a thing.

Before I end up losing hours of my life searching Google, I thought I'd ask if anyone here could point me in the right direction?

Can you help?

You could try Cousins. They sell mixed size packets. If you are able to measure the width of the hole then you might get a rough idea of size.

Also available from various rip-off merchants on eBay.

Grand Master
    Try again to find it. Use a magnet, or a handkerchief around the end of a vacuum cleaner hose. Both methods work, trust me.

Craftsman

I’ve also been on my hands and knees looking for one of those little buggers! I was lucky however...

The above is the parts catalogue for the 5M42 movement which for the capacitor cover/screws I would guess are the same.

I’m assuming its item no. 19 you want? and Cousins would be a good place to start

A long shot but Seiko Maidenhead who may be able to help - they have with me on more recent watches where screws have gone missing but older stuff may draw a blank. Ref Ebay, give it a try but outside of Europe and dont ignore watch spare suppliers again outside of Europe, I needed some screws for the shroud on my Golden Tuna a couple of years ago, some chancers on Ebay were looking for £40/screw but I found a spares company in the USA who had 2 in stock for $5 plus $5 postage..arrived in a week.
    Keith

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    You could try Cousins. They sell mixed size packets. If you are able to measure the width of the hole then you might get a rough idea of size.
    Thank you for the 'Cousins' tip, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Try again to find it. Use a magnet, or a handkerchief around the end of a vacuum cleaner hose. Both methods work, trust me.
    Sounds like fun, I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post

I’ve also been on my hands and knees looking for one of those little buggers! I was lucky however...

The above is the parts catalogue for the 5M42 movement which for the capacitor cover/screws I would guess are the same.

I’m assuming its item no. 19 you want? and Cousins would be a good place to start
    Yup, part no 19 is what I need. Thank you for this, it is very helpful...

You Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    A long shot but Seiko Maidenhead who may be able to help - they have with me on more recent watches where screws have gone missing but older stuff may draw a blank. Ref Ebay, give it a try but outside of Europe and dont ignore watch spare suppliers again outside of Europe, I needed some screws for the shroud on my Golden Tuna a couple of years ago, some chancers on Ebay were looking for £40/screw but I found a spares company in the USA who had 2 in stock for $5 plus $5 postage..arrived in a week.
    Keith
    Thanks for sharing this with me **Thumbs up**

Craftsman
    The part is: Screw, Seiko 022.247.

eBay is drawing a blank.

I registered with Cousins.

They're out of stock, new stock due in on 29th October...

...Opps.

Sorry dad =)

Craftsman
    I googled the part number earlier and there were a couple of other non eBay vendors claiming to have it in stock. No idea who or where they are but possibly worth checking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ping the other one with a pair of pliers and watch where it lands. They will be side by side.

And seriously, a good search technique is to turn off the lights and get your head down to low level and scan the floor with a decent torch resting on it. The slightest anomaly is highlighted. You will also be disgusted at the amount of crap down there.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Dust pan and small brush...works for me everytime!

Sent from a professional screw trapper.

;-)

Pretend to order a new one, speak aloud in that room that you have done so, even say it has arrived, it will then reveal itself, because that’s what will happen when you do get a new one.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Magnet is a very good idea

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Pretend to order a new one, speak aloud in that room that you have done so, even say it has arrived, it will then reveal itself, because that’s what will happen when you do get a new one.

Hahaha!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    And seriously, a good search technique is to turn off the lights and get your head down to low level and scan the floor with a decent torch resting on it. The slightest anomaly is highlighted. You will also be disgusted at the amount of crap down there.
    I did the same job years ago. Also lost a screw and used this flashlight on the floor technique to find it. There were pieces of dirt bigger than the screw under our dinner table... however I did find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The problem is, I did the watch repair in my shed...

...My shed is where I make high end, bespoke, custom cultery.

So the floor is covered in dust, dog hair and metal shavings that look like screws, like this:

I've got down on my hands and knees with a small paint brush and swept all around the area it dropped.

No Joy.

And it's driving me slightly mad to be fair.

But I am going to try this next:

As I think this is a brilliant idea =)

Grand Master
    Doing watch work in a shed isn’t a good idea, a clean environment with minimal dust and dirt is a must. Working on a tray is a good way to avoid losing parts or screws, but it can still happen. Screws flying out of tweezers is a common problem for those lacking experience. Using Rodico to pickup screws helps, thus technique may be frowned upon by the purists but its a technique I use a lot, its safer than picking screws up in tweezers.

Over the years I’ve spent plenty of time searching for dropped parts and invariably they turn up on the floor within a small radius.

Master
    Maybe drag a magnet around the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    The problem is, I did the watch repair in my shed...

...My shed is where I make high end, bespoke, custom cultery.

So the floor is covered in dust, dog hair and metal shavings that look like screws, like this:

I've got down on my hands and knees with a small paint brush and swept all around the area it dropped.

No Joy.

And it's driving me slightly mad to be fair.

But I am going to try this next:

As I think this is a brilliant idea =)
    Ha ha ha, I know that scenario. Anything you drop hits the floor running never to be seen again! I've got a painted concrete floor in my workshop with carpet next to my workbench and still can't find stuff that gets dropped. One day I'm going to find where they're all hiding.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 11th October 2020 at 22:51. Reason: grummer
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Another option is to move house. I always find things that I thought I had lost when we pack up to relocate.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I've just seen this, drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a couple of the correct screws.

I bought one of these recently:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/magic-wiper-bergeon

Not used in anger yet but it's only a matter of time.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Looks like great idea but if I used it in the workshop I doubt I'd be able to lift it!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Didn't even know that Magic wiper even existed.
    Just ordered one not the first time I've lost a screw so it'll come in handy sometime.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ha ha ha, I know that scenario. Anything you drop hits the floor running never to be seen again! I've got a painted concrete floor in my workshop with carpet next to my workbench and still can't find stuff that gets dropped. One day I'm going to find where they're all hiding.
    Every now and then I clean my shed from top to bottom and find all kinds of lost items =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Another option is to move house. I always find things that I thought I had lost when we pack up to relocate.
    This is so funny LOL =)

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I've just seen this, drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a couple of the correct screws.
    DM sent, and thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Wow - what a great idea, like oldoakknives said, if I ran one of those over my workshed floor... I wouldn't be able to pick it up LOL =)

I was once told that the role of a watchmaker involves a small number of skills - the ability to diagnose problems from the vaguest of descriptions, the manipulation of tiny parts with tweezers and, majoritavely, the ability to find lost things on floors...

The Bergson tool looks useful - I used to use a magnetic knife holder as a kind of magnetic broom, but now I mainly use the threat of Cousins web site as detailed by Jason.

Master
    I recently found a fluff roller for use removing fluff from a suit very useful in finding minute screws. They are cheap and once they loose the stickiness you can peel off the layer and have another fresh screw and fiddly bit picker-upper.

I've posted this before, but the answer to your problem already exists.

http://www.ofrei.com/page1129.html

Craftsman
    Special shout out to 'The Watch Bloke' for sending replacement screws in the post this morning.

Gotta say, I've been well impressed with the folk on this forum.

You guys rule =)
    Last edited by Samlack99; 14th October 2020 at 20:47.