closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing before selling - worth it?

Servicing before selling - worth it?

I have a 6 digit GMT which looks like I'll be selling to help fund a house move. I'm the only owner and it's just over 5 years old.

If it was mint I would just sell it but there is a mark on the bezel and another on the sapphire so I think getting it serviced would help get a better price, sell it quicker, and open it up to more buyers, but I might be wrong.

Is there a point at which the service cost makes it not worth doing? If it was just £550 I would do it but I think Rolex may want to give it a new Sapphire and I'm not sure about the bezel. The glass would be £100-150 +VAT but I'm not sure about the bezel. If the service is £1k I doubt I'd get that back. I certainly didn't on my Speedmaster!

I have an appointment in two weeks at Kent to drop it off where they'll give an estimate so I could take a view then and there but if there's not much in it I'd probably just sell now.

I've attached two images of the marks in question and would appreciate the general view of the forum. A scratch from my wife's engagement ring between 8 and 9 that looks like a bit of dust and a mark to the inside of the bezel just after the 12 -- 31/32 mins.

Master
    If you're selling to the trade (Watchfinder maybe) then it might be worth it as they'll kick your arse on imperfections.

If you're selling privately then don't bother. The marks are barely even visible, particularly that little nick on the bezel.
    The batman is still red hot so as long as you price it well (not the cheapest, not the most expensive) then I'm certain you'll sell it regardless of the glass.

I wouldnt think you would get that much back no.

The age is not too bad though.

What i really hate is when someone runs a pricy watch for 10 years + without servicing the movement at all and try and sell it just as things are beginning to go wrong. Very underhand people IMO. This doesnt fall into that catergory

Servicing before selling - worth it?

I would not care a hoot about those marks.

I generally would pay a bit more for a serviced version, especially Rolex, but at only 5 years old, I would not be paying the value of the service more.

If you’ are selling here, list it with 2 prices, and offer the option to have it serviced for the buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Most profitable, and easiest, sell it ‘as is’ on SC. It’l go for a good price because much sought-after.
    But, while more hassle, there’s something nice about selling a watch in top condition , you just feel better!
    A properly serviced Rolex at five years is close to ‘as new.’ Complete with fresh guarantee.
    Who could resist?

quite noticeable to the naked eye and would probably put some off who would want it fully minty...

that said if priced accordingly allowing for replacement crystal and inevitable service at same time then of course it will sell...

the debate is whether you list now as is or send away wait 3 months then list ????

swings / roundabouts....personally I would list now with bits described....Its a Batman it will sell either way...

these were your thoughts on my 116600 back in January so i guess it may help you decide..
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=116600
    I would love it back at 10k
    Last edited by TKH; 9th October 2020 at 12:08.

I have sent both my Rolex 1675 and Omega 165.024 Big Triangle off for service and will sell them upon their return. I think it makes a difference to an older Watch to sell it freshly serviced and with a period of warranty. Also factor in the period of absence, for example the 1675 has been away now for 11 weeks, which is a pain for someone who buys a watch unserviced then has to immediately part with it.

In the case of the 165.024 it has gone to Simon Freese, who is the go to guy for these watches and a fresh service from him does actually mean something to people who know their vintage Omega.

I don't think a fresh service adds anything to the value, but hopefully it makes it a more attractive purchase to someone who might be considering several watches.

If I had been dumping them into the trade I wouldn't have bothered.

Swings and roundabouts - not servicing will put some buyers off (I couldn't live with those marks so would be sending for immediate service - although I own one already so not in the mix) whereas it will attract other less-pernickety buyers if unserviced and keenly priced vs the competition. You'll be taking a hit either way for the cost of the repairs, but that's life when you damage something and sell it on. You'll be making a decent profit on it regardless (assuming you bought at RRP).
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 9th October 2020 at 12:05.

Craftsman
    The scratches, although noticeable, seem relatively minor. I would sell it priced with the above in mind. I think it will sell well. I do not think you could make back the cost of the service.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master
    The only reason I’d service was for guarantee of authenticity for a sale outside the forum
    I’d rather have a watch that was worn so you can wear as intended as opposed to babying it in a drawer to preserve its shiny finish.
    Not worth it if selling on here IMO

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My opinion, sell as is. Good luck!

I wouldnt bother - also you could be waiting for a while if you send it through Rolex, you could use an Independent if you are convinced of the need e.g. http://williamricewatches.com/ who I have used in the past and they will probably give you a choice on the replacements of the bezel etc. Ref Watchfinder, a week prior to the lock down I did a trade with them for a Deepsea bought on here. They examined it and found a chunk out of the bezel which I hadnt noticed which required the whole thing to be replaced = £500 off the trade price, not certain though if I would have paid less than that to have it done myself and I wanted to get rid so took the hit.
    Cheers Keith

Master
    Sell it as it is on SC so it gives the option to the buyer if they want to service it or not. I prefer a well worn watch so I won't need to baby it.

Besides, if you do service it, would you ask for the difference?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

I guess the crystal would bother me more because thats what I look at more. Could polishing it with diamond paste or CeO2 reduce the mark at all?

Craftsman
    Given I'd probably add my own scrapes and knocks to a watch over time, it's almost a relief if the first owner has taken good care of a watch, but it's not immaculate, especially when those knocks are not involved to fix if someone really wants to do it.

I certainly appreciate detailed descriptions of wear on watches - being up front means potential buyers can make their own mind up, and others have already suggested offering prices with and without service/bringing back to showroom condition.

As far as service goes, I'm not usually too worried about a watch that clearly hasn't had a hard life, is still < 5-6 years old, is keeping reasonable time and is a simple enough movement to get seen to. My calculation would certainly change for more complex movements complications and watches that are getting on a bit where there's no mention of any service (or offer of one).

In your case, I'd say list it as is; I can't imagine you'll have any problems moving the watch and you're coming across with the right attitude.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No, personally.
    Its a used watch so will show signs, I dont think modern ceramics need to be serviced for 10 years or so if not longer if theres nothing wrong with them WR and amp/timekeeping wise.

Sell it as is imo. Its unlikely you'd make the service outlay back on a private sale.

Master
    I think servicing of a watch should be on an as-needs basis. I have a 1997 SD 16600 that has never been polished or serviced. And it does not need it - it still keeps perfect time, and winds and adjusts smooth as butter. If there are only minor visual imperfections, but the watch runs within spec, I would sell as-is. Let the new owner decide. The watch is not being sold ‘as new’ and pricing should just reflect condition imho.

Blog Entries
    I believe a ceramic bezel is extortionately expensive to replace. If it is cosmetic only (not structural damage to the bezel) sell as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I guess the crystal would bother me more because thats what I look at more. Could polishing it with diamond paste or CeO2 reduce the mark at all?

That is what I would do. I bought this Oceanus and found it had a scratch on the sapphire crystal. I had never had a watch which had a scratch on a sapphire crystal, however I thought I would do what I would do with a mineral crystal and use diamond paste on it.

Here is the watch with the scratch just above and to the left of the six o'clock dial.

It did take a lot more work on it than a mineral crystal but here is the watch after the polishing.

I think sorting it out for himself would give the original poster a lot of satisfaction and save himself a lot of money. The scratch on the bezel is hardly noticeable and would have very little effect on any sale price given the watch is actually a used one.

There is nothing magical about watches, they can be worked on and tidied up, it is just a matter of patience and a modicum of care.

Mitch

Sell it as is watch going to be away for a while getting serviced . Put it up for sale and if priced sensible will sell within hours

Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm a picky buyer. I thought because they would bother me they would bother everyone else but that doesn't seem to be the case. I never notice the marks and couldn't care less about them but thought I'd have to make the watch perfect before selling.

I'll have a think about price but appreciate the feedback. I was expecting to be lynched for the condition!

Whoever buys it can wear it and enjoy it when watch needs serviced then minor issues can be replaced