closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nespresso machine advice please

Nespresso machine advice please

I've decided to buy one of these for our new holiday home - so it won't get massively heavy use. But there is a bewildering array of machines available. Can someone recommend?

(Before anyone says Delonghi Bean to Cup - we have one at home, with the milk reservoir and yes it is very good, but I don't need something this big or that needs the cleaning etc for the holiday home).

We've had Tassimo in the past, but I've really gone off them, particularly from an eco point of view.

There also appear to be Nespresso machines with the milk reservoir, do these do good cappucinos and lattes?

Any experiences and recommendations welcome!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I've decided to buy one of these for our new holiday home - so it won't get massively heavy use. But there is a bewildering array of machines available. Can someone recommend?

(Before anyone says Delonghi Bean to Cup - we have one at home, with the milk reservoir and yes it is very good, but I don't need something this big or that needs the cleaning etc for the holiday home).

We've had Tassimo in the past, but I've really gone off them, particularly from an eco point of view.

There also appear to be Nespresso machines with the milk reservoir, do these do good cappucinos and lattes?

Any experiences and recommendations welcome!
    I have a basic Krupa Nespresso machine ( I think they were on offer recently with 100 or so pods ) and a separate milk frothed which will make a reasonable latte/cappuccino. Doesn’t get a lot of use but sounds ideal for your situation.

Stick with the regular small capsules and ignore the Vertuo.

I have a Latissimus Pro and a tiny one but never use the milk frother on it. I prefer using the Aerochino 4 to froth and heat the milk. Other milk frothers are available. The only reason we went for the big Pro version was the bigger capsule bin and water reservoir.

You can get one of the offers where you pay £1 for the machine so long as you sign a contract to pay £17pm (now £20-25) for 12 months. We did this for the second machine and spent the money on capsules and a milk frother. The £17pm can be paid off fully if you call after a week and tell them you want to cancel. That's what we did. The credit can be used on anything they sell -- machines, fancy cups, biscuits or capsules.

I cannot tell the difference and don't think there is one between the Essenza Mini we got on the £1 deal and the Latissima Pro which was nearly £400 apart from the cheaper one takes longer to heat up when you turn it on.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/subs...subscription#/

For a holiday home I’d just go with the simple basic model. We have the Pixie and it’s more than adequate.

Master
    We have had a small machine for 10/12 years, and the same at our place in Turkey. However since getting the Vertuo, use that most of the time here. It was an unbelievable deal - I think we ended up paying about £70 for machine and 200 capsules, using my "ambassador" discount, which they took off the £200 full price,then took off the discount. Mainly use the Alto Intenso capsules as at 400 ml it makes a drink for myself and wife at the same time.

Master
    Firstly I would wait until Nespresso do one of their regular deals that include credit so you can subsidise the price with free capsules. I originally had a Pixie and Aerocinno to make lattes etc and it worked fine. The main issue is that the Aerocinno is a pain to clean and once it inevitably burns inside you need a new one. So I got a good deal on a Latissima the original 4 button model now replaced by the newer 6 button. It has a removable milk container you can store in the fridge and clean in the dishwasher. Much easier to live with. Again it makes great "frothy" coffee though only my wife drinks those anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    For a holiday home I’d just go with the simple basic model. We have the Pixie and it’s more than adequate.
    Agreed, w've had a Pixie for a few years, for a basic machine it's hard to fault.

Master
    I’ve been using a basic Nespresso pod machine and an Aeroccino frother for my 3 lattes a day for the last few years, never missed a beat and tastes good to me!

Master
    So so so much better, easier, quicker, cleaner, quieter and more consistently perfect than using a steam wand on a ‘proper’ coffee machine.

I’d 100% say you must get a nespresso with the milk frother.

The ‘ Citiz and Milk’ is what I swear by. They look great too.

From time to time they do an offer where you get 200 free capsules with the purchase. Aftermarket capsules can be pretty good too, and much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Firstly I would wait until Nespresso do one of their regular deals that include credit so you can subsidise the price with free capsules. I originally had a Pixie and Aerocinno to make lattes etc and it worked fine. The main issue is that the Aerocinno is a pain to clean and once it inevitably burns inside you need a new one. So I got a good deal on a Latissima the original 4 button model now replaced by the newer 6 button. It has a removable milk container you can store in the fridge and clean in the dishwasher. Much easier to live with. Again it makes great "frothy" coffee though only my wife drinks those anyway.
    I thought you could put the aerochino in the dishwasher? We have one that I’m sure is dishwasher proof.

Master
    I have a standard small Nespresso for the cottage great for the occasional use with an aerochino. I have recently added the vertuo and really enjoying it. Really nice cups of coffee and does the foam on top really well so not required to froth milk.

Priced reasonably and great for the odd time I am there.

Thanks chaps - this is very helpful.

Can anyone provide any links to Amazon or other sites with the machines they recommend? I do want to avoid buying the wrong thing!

Hugely grateful!
    So clever my foot fell off.

All of these replies / machines seem to still involve pods (i.e. no more environmentally friendly that the Tassimo), or am I missing something (e.g. are some pods recyclable)? We had a Tassimo but went back to a cafetière given the excessive waste.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    All of these replies / machines seem to still involve pods (i.e. no more environmentally friendly that the Tassimo), or am I missing something (e.g. are some pods recyclable)? We had a Tassimo but went back to a cafetière given the excessive waste.
    Nespresso recycle their pods, they are made of aluminium.

OP - this is the one I have - https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/orde...electric-titan
    Last edited by dougair; 9th October 2020 at 12:36.

Craftsman
    Look at the Nespresso small office deals. Buy 300 capsules and get a small machine for £1.

Master
    All the standard pod machines have the same innards you just pay more for the extras. Same with the Vertua. Wait for a deal or look on ebay. Get a descaler/cleaner as well.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/orde...26position%3D2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...o&_dcat=156775

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I send my pods back to Nespresso to recycle but probably still not great. You can get pods which are recyclable. I tried the Grind capsules which you can pop in the compost bin but didn't like them.

I replaced our 9 year old Nespresso machine just last week as it had developed quite a serious leak, it still worked just leaked. I was impressed it had lasted 9 years of use being honest so was happy to buy another Nespresso machine.

The machine I purchased last week as the replacement was the Nespresso Sage Creatista Plus and I am extremely pleased with my decision. The machine looks great, has a relatively small foot print and makes great coffee and excellent steamed and frothy milk. Overall it is a very easy to use but equally versatile coffee machine that provides lots of drink and heat options.

I can't recommend it enough.

I got mine from Currys which was easily the cheapest last week.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...esso&gclsrc=ds

The Nespresso vertuo pods are miles better than the original tiny ones. I’ve no idea how anyone can say they’re not.

Twice the size and many mug it uses more froth and creama than the original pods.

Nespresso still have their £1 machine offer on. You basically pay about £75 for the machine and get £74 worth of pods. It’s a no brainier if you intend to stick with using it for a while.

They also include another £20 or £25 voucher to use as credit if you sign up to a monthly plan. Their plans are super simple too. It’s basically just adding funds to your Nespresso account. You add £25 a mi th and they top up with 10% more. Then when you order you e already go the cash sat on your account to buy the coffee. Easy. Oh and you get £25 free, making the original cost only £49.

You’ll have to visit a Nespresso store (John Lewis) To be demonstrated the difference between a vertuo and an original capsule.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    The Nespresso vertuo pods are miles better than the original tiny ones. I’ve no idea how anyone can say they’re not.

Twice the size and many mug it uses more froth and creama than the original pods.

Nespresso still have their £1 machine offer on. You basically pay about £75 for the machine and get £74 worth of pods. It’s a no brainier if you intend to stick with using it for a while.

They also include another £20 or £25 voucher to use as credit if you sign up to a monthly plan. Their plans are super simple too. It’s basically just adding funds to your Nespresso account. You add £25 a mi th and they top up with 10% more. Then when you order you e already go the cash sat on your account to buy the coffee. Easy. Oh and you get £25 free, making the original cost only £49.

You’ll have to visit a Nespresso store (John Lewis) To be demonstrated the difference between a vertuo and an original capsule.
    Very interesting, as I find the new ones awful. I’ve got a few more ‘new’ capsules to get through & will be giving the machine away.

I usually drink a lot of coffee, I now only drink one a day I find it that bad. The ‘crema’ is like sea foam, the standard machine isn’t perfect but so much better than this advancement.

Aside from disagreeing completely with you on coffee, the approach you talk is spot on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    The Nespresso vertuo pods are miles better than the original tiny ones. I’ve no idea how anyone can say they’re not. Twice the size and many mug it uses more froth and creama than the original pods.
    Of course, that explains why some people - quite a few on here, as I recall - prefer 'the original tiny ones'! It's horses for courses. If you like a huge mug of coffee that looks like a pint of Guinness with an inch-thick head of something that looks like it came from a sewer then the Vertuo is perfect. But if you actually like an espresso - of the sort that gave the Nespresso its name - i.e. small, dark, bitter, with a wisp of foam, as actually served in Italy, then the original machine gives far better results.

Nespresso have themselves said that they brought out the Vertuo to try to crack the US market, which prefers vast frothy buckets of mildly flavoured water to thimbles of tar. (OK they didn't say that second bit.)

I have both machines to cover all tastes, but much as the previous poster I don't regard the Vertuo as any upgrade at all.

Master
    Another vote for the original type Nespresso machine. I, like many here, got a vertuo to try with the free machine offer, but I actually prefer the coffee from my original pod machine. Also there are a vast range of pods from various makers, and I use a compostible one so it all goes into the food bin.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Very true!

I guess the OP needs to plan a trip to try both types before deciding.

I bought some of the new iced coffee vertuo caps recently and was pleased with the outcome.

Must say, if you prefer the mini capsules and espresso with milk style, that machine with the currys link looks brilliant. Having a proper steam pipe must make excellent milk.

As above it depends what you like. Personally Vertuo is my preference and am still enjoying the one I got free with 200 pods, after approx 400 mugs. Not sure the model name but it’s this one and has been faultless:

Master
    Thanks chaps - this is very helpful.

Can anyone provide any links to Amazon or other sites with the machines they recommend? I do want to avoid buying the wrong thing!

Hugely grateful!
    This is the Pixie on Nespresso, dare say you can get it elsewhere cheaper: https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/orde...e-electric-red

Always worth keeping an eye out for offers on Nespresso, I'm fairly sure we got ours on there with the Aerocinno thrown in.

Blog Entries
    We have the Sage Creatista Pro as I just prefer playing with the milk more regards stretching and frothing. In addition to this the boiler is far better on the smaller one we use camping.

Nearly 4 years in and it is going strong with heavy daily use.

Pitch

Craftsman
    I think by the end of the month nespresso will launch the annual Christmas machine and free credit promo.

Black Friday is generally a good time to buy. I purchased my parents a pixie last year for 50pounds with 45 in free credit. You can purchase the machine from any retailer and send nespresso the receipt. I got this machine from Debenhams.

Someone previously mentioned the aerocinno being dishwasher safe. The aero 4 is dishwasher safe the aero 3 is not.

Burnout is an issue but! It took my aerocinno at work about 6 years before a replacement was necessary and that got hammered by 6 people in my office.

The need to descale depends on your location. Not an issue here (sheffield) and I put brita filter in the machine. I give it a cursory descale about once a year but it’s not necessary.

Master
    If you have a microwave I wouldn't bother with the frother. Just pour a bit of milk into a cup or jug, microwave for 40 secs and then use a battery powered frother. Ikea and others sell them for about £2, works an absolute treat and avoids having another item cluttering up the kitchen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    As above it depends what you like. Personally Vertuo is my preference and am still enjoying the one I got free with 200 pods, after approx 400 mugs. Not sure the model name but it’s this one and has been faultless:

I have the same one (in red) and got a milk frother to go with it. Doesn't take up much room (I keep the milk part in a cupboard) and works well. I don't drink expresso and refer things like a cappuccino so this set up works well for me. Got it with an offer for 200 capsules. Went into a boutique and got some advice as well. Have now found some coffees that I prefer over others so just keep a stock of those, with the odd thing for those that like a longer or stronger cup.

Very happy with mine.

Same for me - super happy with my Nespresso.

You have Amazon Prime happening on Tuesday so potentially a good time to check out any deals.

If not Black Friday / cyber Monday will be happening soon enough.

Happy hunting!

S

Took the plunge with this one today from John Lewis, Ill let you know how I find it when it comes.

https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-...yABEgIKTPD_BwE
    Cheers..
    Jase