closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you even consider the strap a watch comes on when making a purchase?

Do you even consider the strap a watch comes on when making a purchase?

I don't.

My siblings do.

It's a milestone for our mother, we're getting her a watch. The choices were narrowed down to a Longines La Grande Classique or a Tissot:

Now, I suggested that the Tissot might be more versatile due to the more traditional lug layout, she could change the strap whereas that won't be possible with the Longines. My sisters just didn't get it... you buy the watch as a package. I tried to make them understand that the strap can be changed to something else if she doesn't like it and that when you spend over a grand on a watch, the 20 quid piece of leather it comes on really shouldn't be a make or break. Apparently it is though.

Do normal people think like that? They're making a purchase of over a grand and the 20 quid strap is the deal breaker? Who is insane, us or them?

I'm with you but my brother isn't. He wants a PAM and has found a couple he likes but didn't buy them as the strap stitching (not even the strap!) was the wrong colour. Total weirdo.

I felt like I blew my wife’s mind on a couple of occasions when I changed a watch strap. She also finds it weird that as soon as I buy a watch, I spend two weeks browsing online and thinking about what strap to wear it on.

Maybe the latter is more of a reflection me though

I always look at the strap options but the only watch I have bought that had the perfect stock leather strap was my Sinn 104. I find that internet pictures are no good for the colour of the strap and some straps can be very thin. I usually end up buying several different straps from various online sellors until I find one that I like. Pav's straps are my favourite. I have a bag full of unwanted straps now. :) The same goes for bracelets, though to a lesser extent.

Journeyman
    I much prefer a watch with a bracelet, so it's something I think about.

If a watch comes with a bracelet I've no problem removing it and replacing with a leather strap. But I'd be more hesitant finding a bracelet to fit a watch that came with a strap. If that makes any sense.

There's probably no need to mention Seiko. One tends to be looking for an alternative strap before the watch even arrives!

Not everyone's a watch nerd

But that Longines looks like a straight springbar layout to me, but I might be missing something from the pic? Is it integrated with the case?

I know my mum would prefer the Longines anyway.

EDIT: My mum has an Arne Jacobsen watch that requires the case back to be unscrewed to remove and fit a new strap and clearly can only take Arne Jacobsen straps. That's a set up I would always avoid but she likes it so has to the pay the silly money for a new OEM strap every few years.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 8th October 2020 at 22:03.

No, but I've been known to buy a watch to match a strap that I already have.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Went to buy a new watch for my birthday about 17 years ago.

Wanted a white dial so tried on a Rolex Explorer II and an Omega Seamaster GMT. I think the Rolex was a few hundred more than the Omega at the time, not much difference I don’t think.

Opted for the Omega purely down to the cheap rattly bracelet of the Rolex. Probably not the best decision from a financial perspective, still got the Omega though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Sometimes. I think the bracelet was part of the appeal when I impulse-purchased my quartz SMP at Narita Airport in '98.

Totally alien to most of my family and significant other. I have more straps than watches (just) and go through phases of swapping them for each of my watches. Some stay on one since its a perfect match others change with my mood. Some I'm still trying to settle on...

The average man in the street has no clue that a watch strap can be easily changed... nor that bracelets can be resized.

Simon

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by animaal View Post
    I much prefer a watch with a bracelet, so it's something I think about.

If a watch comes with a bracelet I've no problem removing it and replacing with a leather strap. But I'd be more hesitant finding a bracelet to fit a watch that came with a strap. If that makes any sense.
    I'm exactly the same, have bought watches on straps of course, but nearly always try and find one on a bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Not everyone's a watch nerd

But that Longines looks like a straight springbar layout to me, but I might be missing something from the pic? Is it integrated with the case?

I know my mum would prefer the Longines anyway.

EDIT: My mum has an Arne Jacobsen watch that requires the case back to be unscrewed to remove and fit a new strap and clearly can only take Arne Jacobsen straps. That's a set up I would always avoid but she likes it so has to the pay the silly money for a new OEM strap every few years.
    Actually now you say that, I've looked more closely into it and while the lug arrangement is slightly odd, it looks like it would take a leather strap easily enough. The lugs are connected to the case at a single point but are flared out from that point, if that makes sense.

I daren't tell my sisters that though, they'll think I'm a wrong'un for even thinking that it's a good thing the strap can be changed.

Blog Entries
    I always consider the strap as I prefer to buy watches on bracelets. Although I do wear some on leather I like to have the option of going back to a bracelet.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Not really. I invariably throw away the strap or bracelet they come with and fit something better (most OE straps are utter rubbish IMHO), so I only check that the watch hasn't got some sort of weird non standard or integrated bracelet.

Some watches do gain reputations for having either good or bad straps or bracelets. Anyone who has ever bought a new Seiko Alpinist SARB017 will know just how bad the plastic like strap that comes with the watch is. No one in their right mind would use it. On the other hand the Cordura strap and deployant on the Silver Snoopy limited edition is so good that people still buy them as separates to put on a variety of Speedmasters.

From all the straps (materials) I tried I find leather to be my No1. Every watch no matter is it a 1000m diver or just a dressy piece, will end on a leather strap...so yes, I find combinations, colors, styles, browsing and exploring quite fun even before the actual purchase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm with you but my brother isn't. He wants a PAM and has found a couple he likes but didn't buy them as the strap stitching (not even the strap!) was the wrong colour. Total weirdo.

If I like the watch but not the strap I'll buy it anyway. I guess that's why I have a bigger strap collection than a watch collection (over 50 straps)

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The strap is secondary to me. Bracelets are a different matter. However whenever I buy a new watch I usually have it delivered to work. If I show it to any of the staff, who are mostly young women, they always comment on the strap, not the watch.

I am another that will also always buy the watch on the bracelet over a strap.
    The bracelet will then be immediately taken off and I will put the watch on a tatty piece of cheap nylon.
    My Mrs cannot understand that, although since getting an Apple-watch she is learning...
    I thought Omega NATOs were expensive!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 9th October 2020 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by zoiksy View Post
    Totally alien to most of my family and significant other. I have more straps than watches (just) and go through phases of swapping them for each of my watches. Some stay on one since its a perfect match others change with my mood. Some I'm still trying to settle on...

THIS!

Yes a massive consideration for myself, nothing worse than poor leather strap or rubbish bracelet.

I have found there is a huge difference is design, quality and comfort between different straps and it would be crazy to overlook it.

Frankly, most watches come with straps which are too short for me: I like a long strap & have a large wrist. Even companies which offer an XL strap option often come up short for me!

Therefore, I don't consider the strap. The chances are I'm going to change it through necessity.

I've rather gone off bracelets in the past few years. If I were to buy a watch on a bracelet, I'd need to try it on before purchase.

Incidentally, I've got a lovely 22mm blue stingray strap which needs a white-dialled watch. I don't own such a thing. I may have to buy a watch to enable me to use it.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id see no reason to change the bracelet on the longines as its part of the package, so I see siblings point.

Blog Entries
    My last new purchase was last years Tudor BB Bronze with the grey fading dial. The Tudor strap certainly adds to the watch and once on my wrist tipped me to purchase.

flag for ascension island smileys

flag for ascension island smileys

Pitch
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 10th October 2020 at 18:07.

Master
    No, because the supplied straps are way too short for me. If the watch is on a bracelet I always check price/availability of links.

Craftsman
    Pretty much everything I own ends up on some kind of fabric eventually. Either a NATO or an MN strap of some kind.

I find that's the most comfortable way to wear watches, and eventually comfort wins out.

This being the case, bracelet and straps are a secondary consideration for me when buying a watch.

Craftsman
    Nope =)

Never unless it is an exceptional strap. So many aftermarket options for most watches these days, it is not even a remote consideration.

Craftsman
    Similar to people above if the watch is sold on a strap then I don’t really consider it. I would however always opt for the bracelet version if available and then buy a strap separately almost straight away!

I don't consider it a deal breaker, but a good stock strap does enhance the watch brand in my eyes. It elevates them to having a certain attention to detail that others may lack.