closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buildings insurance claim

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Buildings insurance claim

I have a small buildings insurance claim which has just been authorised, it’s for some loose guttering and some flashing around a solar panel which has lifted by the wind I presume.

Now, I have an assessor around and speaking to them today I will get notification via email tomorrow that the work is authorised or they will offer me cash settlement and I can get the work done myself.

My thinking is the firm that came around to cost for the job probably loaded the price so if I take the cash offer I will be in pocket after the job is done.

Now I don’t know the figures but I’m guessing a days work at the very most with very in the way of material, I maybe wrong.

so let’s say it’s a £1k job privately and they offer me a cash offer of say £2k because the quote was bloated would you take the money and arrange the work yourself.

Anything I should consider which I probably have not thought about?

At what point if the difference was not much in your favour would you just let them arrange the work?

Just mussing really as I have never claimed before or offered the money to sort myself.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I think the quote that the insurance co get will be much more expensive than you could get the work done for.

I was talking to a building contractor that is working on behalf of my insurance co and the amounts they estimated for things like scaffolding; labour rates etc. were at least double what I know I could source them for with at least an equal level of quality.

Also, getting it done yourself means you get to build a relationship with the tradesman which you never know when you'll need.

On the other hand, you'll have the hassle of finding the right people, booking them in, what if you need to claim against the work etc.

I think if it was me, I'd take the money and get it done myself on balance.

Ditto with claiming for the cash and getting the work done myself.

Take the clash and the claim is settled ............ what happens if the builder/roofer then finds more damage hidden underneth than was quoted for.

Craftsman
    Before deciding which way to go, I suggest you think about:
    1) Do you know a good builder/tradesperson in your area who can come and take a look?
    2) Are they available to come and do the work in the near future? (Say 1 month because you want this sorted by Xmas)

I don't see any harm in finding a local builder and asking them to quote to fix the damage, as a check on the insurance quote. But if the local builder you want isn't available for a long time (as good ones tend to have jobs booked up well in advance) then perhaps lean on the insurance company to get someone in sooner.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Get it sorted by the Insurance Co on renewal you will be asked about any claims and if you switch Companies you could get asked about who did the work are there G tees all sorts of rubbish, Ben if you are talking decent money and have or know a good builder ok if not let them get on with it.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Don't count your chickens until you have written authority or the cash in your hand. Building insurance companies are very good at wriggling out of claims for "poor maintenance" etc!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd get the insurance company to sort it - I'd rather let them have the hassle of sorting it and, as has been said, it should be done properly and sort out any nasty surprises that may not be evident at the moment.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

ive not had the offer to settle yet and have a local chap coming over this weekend. Someone I went to school with who has been a roofer for 30+ years.

Will see how it goes.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I would use the approved insurance contractor in a case like this. Any faults or damage they cause will be resolved much easier. My mums upstairs neighbor left a tap running and she’s just in process of having her ceiling ripped down - but we de used very quickly to go with the approved contractors. One reason being they won’t skimp on the repair as the insurance pays it. Anyway good luck

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Take the clash and the claim is settled ............ what happens if the builder/roofer then finds more damage hidden underneth than was quoted for.
    This is the exact reality of it. Additionally - if you appoint a roofer, and it leaks 6m down the line - You're chasing that yourself.

Opt to sort yourself, you accept that their payment is "In full and final settlement".