closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question on Redundancy and Vacant Job Role

Master

Question on Redundancy and Vacant Job Role

Hi all, a company I used to work made a lot of people redundant due to Covid 19. There were 4 people in the a team. 3 had been there a while and 1 person was brought in by the new person in charge to fulfil a certain role, although we all know he was brought in because of his relationship. The 3 people were made redundant and the 4th kept his job with no problem at all.

I left of my own accord but went back there recently to catch up with a friend. Whilst I was there I noticed a policy on the wall with the 4th persons name on it. His job title was the same as one of the people made redundant. I was always under the impression that you are making the position redundant, not the person? If that's the case, then would the company have broken the law by doing this? I've been told that officially the 4th person has a different job title but internally his job is the same as the redundant position.

You are right, under UK law you are making the role and not the person redundant. How long after the redundancies did you notice the new hire with the same Job title as one of the redundant? Six months is typically the minimum period a redundant position should be left vacant.

Master
    It's definitely within the 6 month period. Redundancy happened in July.

I am not an employment lawyer but have had the misfortune of managing a lot of redundancies when in oil/gas; on the face of I would say there are grounds for a case for your friend.

Craftsman
    It’s generally a 3 months period in which to make employment related claims. There is no ‘rule’ about how long a post should be deleted for before reinstating it, but it would be a foolish employer who did so within 3 months of making the redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I am not an employment lawyer but have had the misfortune of managing a lot of redundancies when in oil/gas
    I’m sure that will be minor when compared to the bloodbath that is going on in O&G at the moment.

What was minor, I don't follow unless you mean the downturn in 2014 onwards?

Master