closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadening My Horizons

Master

Broadening My Horizons

Almost exactly a year ago, I owned 3 Rolex watches which are generally very popular on the forum (and for good reason). For various reasons, I decided to move the Explorer and the BLNR along although the SD has remained as it was my favourite of the trio and a staple in the collection. Apologies for the random pics as those are what I could find of them!

C2981724-8E0B-4095-BFAE-D0D5CB896D62 by Matt G, on Flickr; IMG_2861 by Matt G, on Flickr; IMG_3170 by Matt G, on Flickr

I was looking to replace them without investing too much but add a bit more variety. Over the last year, I have added the below 3 watches to the collection and interestingly, the cost of these is almost the same as it would cost to buy the above three on the second hand market (I sold a couple of other pieces in lieu of the SD!). Obviously they are unlikely to represent as good an investment as the Rolex but as I don't purchase my watches as an investment, this wasn't of great concern. I have always had several non-Rolex watches in the collection but it has been an interesting insight to the alternatives available to the default SS professional Rolexes at their current prices.

884094D9-2558-4972-B6A5-6E43B88E39D2 by Matt G, on Flickr

First in was the A Lange and Sohne Lange 1 adding a dress watch and some gold to the collection. The back is a work of art (not truely reflected in my picture), nevermind the front and it has fantastic substance on the wrist. Not worn a lot but feels like an occasion everytime it is!

E48E4443-317A-491C-B35D-0376C00DED23 by Matt G, on Flickr

Second was the Blancpain Leman "Ultra Slim". I have always been a fan of the FF but the 45mm is too big for my wrist and the 40mm versions are very expensive as they are all limited editions. This has the F Piguet 1150 movement, a later version of which is used in the 40mm FF and it has a 100 hour power reserve but is a wearable (for me) 38mm. Have tried to dress it down a bit with the sailcloth strap but could work for dress wear with a leather strap. I love the details on this watch, particularly the angled date wheel with all the digits angled precisely to fit and the red tip of the second hand

E69B7A28-BAE6-4C38-AE1B-8E45A8D58121 by Matt G, on Flickr

Third incoming following an enjoyable collection last week is the Vacheron Constantin Overseas with the white/silver dial as it is the first sports watch I have had with a light coloured dial and makes a nice change against the black and blue ones. Marcel's review on this model helped me switch my attentions from the Milgauss I was previously considering. The bracelet is the best I have ever worn and the detailing on the dial and the substantial way it wears is also very satisfying. Makes a nice sports with the SD and a Seamaster I also have!

222ACF60-A458-4304-892E-050CCCBC5FCA by Matt G, on Flickr

You will be pleased to hear I haven't totally gone off Rolex though, the above is clearly missing the GMT functionality... I would like to acquire another Rolex GMT but will have to be patient as it might be a while before I consider them reasonably priced!

Apologies for the long post and whilst I am done for incomings for a little while I think, I look forward to continuing to explore the slightly less well known corners of the watch world...!

Impeccable.

The Lange & Overseas in particular are as good as it gets, for me. There are more expensive, more complicated & flashier watches, but even given free rein, those two would be the watches I'd actually want to buy & wear on a regular basis.

I like Rolex, but your collection is now much more interesting and on a different level altogether.

Master
    Slight update on this thread...!

Decided that whilst I did really like the Blancpain, it was probably a bit too much of a dress watch despite dressing it down with the strap and so I started looking for something a little larger ideally on a bracelet. After selling the original BP on SC, I was still keen on the brand and following a WTB and socially distanced/sadly COVID limited F2F meeting, I am please to say it has been "upgraded" to this!

8F4DDE3E-162A-4662-B4AF-93A63E9E3513 by Matt G, on Flickr

Has pretty much all the benefits of the Leman Ultra Slim but adds a little more presence at 40mm, display back, bracelet and is a limited edition which is nice. A little more investment required but it seems worth it. Updated trio pic below and kind of makes me wonder, aside from a beater watch, why I need the rest of the collection...

CC63D8BC-7D1C-4598-8835-5F8640003DB7 by Matt G, on Flickr

Apologies for the poor pictures as the light today is terrible...

Craftsman
    Pure class. Whilst i understand the whole Rolex value added and current residuals, these three are simply so much more "thinking man's" collection and many orders higher in terms of quality horology.

thumbs up from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Missed this thread first time round. What an amazing and eclectic collection you now have! And really does put the market price of Rolex watches in perspective.

Lovely trio you have there, I too would have those 3 over the 3 rolex you sold to buy them. They are in a different league.

Just shows the craziness of the rolex market.

Very nice collection indeed, horologically much more interesting than R. It's hard to believe they are even comparable budget-wise!
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 14th December 2020 at 14:39.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Lovely trio you have there, I too would have those 3 over the 3 rolex you sold to buy them. They are in a different league.

Just shows the craziness of the rolex market.
    Tony you beat me to it.

Absolute fantastic looking trio, from some of the greatest Manufacturer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

Absolute fantastic looking trio, from some of the greatest Manufacturer's.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Lovely collection, very balanced in my view.

Craftsman
    Three watches of absolute class. Beautiful!

That VC really is stunning. That could actually be a perfect one watch collection!

I like all of them. The aqua lung is sublime; been on my hit list for years. The overseas is a great watch very much back in the spotlight and the Lange is just class.

I would struggle to sell my BLNR out of all my Rolex watches as I've had it 7 years and worn it the most unsurprisingly however the Exp (and the black subs) don't light me up so fair play.

Methinks I'll perhaps head in a similar direction in 2021...

Well broadened Love the aqualung