closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EV Charger at Home

Journeyman

EV Charger at Home

Has anyone had one fitted and which did you go with?

Taking delivery of a 330e in about 6 weeks so have this on the radar. £500+ with the OLEV grant seems to be about average now, but where to start.

The EO Mini Pro looks pretty slick and no longer requires the earth rod if you have it fitted with a garo earthing device.

Interested on people’s thoughts/experiences.

Master
    Interested in the replies too as I have an i3 I am still charging out of a normal socket 2 months later.

Blog Entries
    A friend has Tesla X company car. His power bill (here in Holland gas + electrics) went from 280 euros to 512 euros/month... Luckily his boss pick up the bill for the difference.

Just saying: be prepared!

Menno

Pod Point

Starting to get Deja vous

We have a Rolec wall pod not the prettiest but been faultless for 5 years.

We typically spend £50 per month to charge two cars doing about a 1,000 miles in each. So 2,000 miles total used to spend £400 in diesel

Journeyman
    There are some good tariffs in the UK that provide cheap electricity between certain times. Im looking at the Octopus where its 5p per kWh between 12:30-04:30. So providing your ev charger is dmart with an app - they have to be smart now to qualify for for the OLEV grant, then I think your getting around 1p per mile there.

Journeyman
    How are the smart features with Pod Point as I think id read the app wasn’t very good? You couldn’t schedule overnight charging?

Journeyman
    I did look at Rolec but there seemed to lots of quality issues when researched online, but I suppose you’ll always get more people venting their frustrations than praising the product online.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny1999 View Post
    There are some good tariffs in the UK that provide cheap electricity between certain times. Im looking at the Octopus where its 5p per kWh between 12:30-04:30. So providing your ev charger is dmart with an app - they have to be smart now to qualify for for the OLEV grant, then I think your getting around 1p per mile there.
    There are some down sides with these as the peak rates are high, on most around 25p and we used as much electric for other things, we were better off on a low per KWH all the time I think we are at 12p all day and less hassle setting timers and hoping they work.

Try and find a good installer as our Rolec has been perfect my best mates was awful but it was not the charger but the installation, it tripped out once a week. He got a normal sparks to look he adjusted some connections and no problems now. Some also add on sneaky charges too. Also make sure you are getting a 7.4kw and not a 3.6kw, unless you have 3 phase and can get 22kwh.

Journeyman
    Good point, I will need to double check the day time tariff too.

The installer is another key point, just difficult to control when getting the grant through as most places assign a local installer. Unless you can get a local installer onboard yourself that is OLEV installer certified as they will also allow you to get the grant have have a little more control over picking the installer.

Journeyman
    Oh yeah and 7.4kW for me, even tho the 330e is throttled at 3.6kWh charging it future proofs the box a but more.

Got a Model S arriving soon and think I am going to go for an Anderson charger as it is neat and will get me least grief from the wife.

Does anyone know what the situation is with EV and claiming milage for business use, as in, I can currently claim 45p / 25p per mile for my car, does having a EV preclude the milage claims?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Does anyone know what the situation is with EV and claiming milage for business use, as in, I can currently claim 45p / 25p per mile for my car, does having a EV preclude the milage claims?
    My accountant said it was 25/45p and that was fine, does make driving profitable

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    My accountant said it was 25/45p and that was fine, does make driving profitable
    It sure would, with the higher milage I do, that is certainly something to think about, I wonder how long that will last though?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Only 4p if it’s a company car though.

Craftsman
    Has anyone had one fitted and which did you go with?

Taking delivery of a 330e in about 6 weeks so have this on the radar. £500+ with the OLEV grant seems to be about average now, but where to start.

The EO Mini Pro looks pretty slick and no longer requires the earth rod if you have it fitted with a garo earthing device.

Interested on people’s thoughts/experiences.
    I have a 330e and am on Octopus Go which is 14p peak, 5p off peak (12:30-4:30). The 330e charges fully during the 4 hours and costs ~50p which translates to roughly 30 miles depending on journey.

I had a 32A commando socket installed by an electrician inside an external cabinet and because I am an Octopus customer, I bought an Ohme smart EV charger for £199 which plugs straight into the Commando socket and is capable of charging at 7kW, although the 330e is not. The Ohme app allows you to set multiple charge schedules and switch between them. This avoided the faff of the grant and was, for me, less than the grant installed cost.

Another factor to consider, is the charger installer may require you to upgrade your main cutout fuse - from memory needs to be greater than 60A. If it isn't they likely will either insist the fuse is upgraded or only install a 3.6kW charger, which is fine for the 330e, but not so great for the future.

How are the smart features with Pod Point as I think id read the app wasn’t very good? You couldn’t schedule overnight charging?
    With the Jag you can schedule it with the car so you don't need it in the charge point, the car has the charger the points are just outrageously expensive connector, priced to fleece the government grant, once the grant stops the prices will tumble.

Andersen A2 here, least offensive tethered model I could find

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    I have a 330e and am on Octopus Go which is 14p peak, 5p off peak (12:30-4:30). The 330e charges fully during the 4 hours and costs ~50p which translates to roughly 30 miles depending on journey.

I had a 32A commando socket installed by an electrician inside an external cabinet and because I am an Octopus customer, I bought an Ohme smart EV charger for £199 which plugs straight into the Commando socket and is capable of charging at 7kW, although the 330e is not. The Ohme app allows you to set multiple charge schedules and switch between them. This avoided the faff of the grant and was, for me, less than the grant installed cost.

Another factor to consider, is the charger installer may require you to upgrade your main cutout fuse - from memory needs to be greater than 60A. If it isn't they likely will either insist the fuse is upgraded or only install a 3.6kW charger, which is fine for the 330e, but not so great for the future.
    That is a good tariff then on the face of it.

The outdoor socket is also worth a look, was your outdoor cabinet already in situ or did you install that at the same time? Roughly what did the electrician charge to install it all?

Journeyman

Talking

How do you find the range on the battery, with steady driving in normal temperatures around the 30 miles?

Im guessing using the xtra boost decreases the somewhat

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Got a Model S arriving soon and think I am going to go for an Anderson charger as it is neat and will get me least grief from the wife.
    Nice looking box with good colour options, had not seen these before...

Craftsman
    How do you find the range on the battery, with steady driving in normal temperatures around the 30 miles?

Im guessing using the xtra boost decreases the somewhat
    Faster you go, the range decreases, harder you drive the range decreases. Entirely dependent on your driving style...30 miles is achievable but the originally advertised 40 plus is nonsense.

I had not see that Tariff before and was better than mine so I have switched, thanks

Share.octopus.energy/sepia-mule-98

Is my code if anyone else wants to swap will get you £100 credit

Can a charging point be fitted to your house without running a cable from the consumer unit? My CU is under the stairs, which are in the centre of the house and I can't see how it would be possible to do without major decorative disruption.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Can a charging point be fitted to your house without running a cable from the consumer unit? My CU is under the stairs, which are in the centre of the house and I can't see how it would be possible to do without major decorative disruption.
    If you want a typical charger (7kW) then unless there is an existing circuit that can be repurposed, you will need to run back to the consumer unit. Otherwise I think a 3 pin 13A socket 'granny' charger is the best you will get.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    I had not see that Tariff before and was better than mine so I have switched, thanks
    If we are in the business of sharing Octopus referral codes, then anyone who found my initial Go tariff post helpful, please feel free to use this:

share.octopus.energy/vivid-grove-472

If you are content with the 330e for a while and don’t need super fast charging just get a local electrician to fit a standard outside double socket with isolator for you for around £100. I bought a 225xe (same battery as yours), it’ll charge in 3 hours on a standard socket. So unless you go full EV or need 45 minute charging what’s the point in paying extra?

Master
    Some good info here. We’re embarking on a self build, so intend to get cables for two points installed, even if we don’t go electric just yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Some good info here. We’re embarking on a self build, so intend to get cables for two points installed, even if we don’t go electric just yet.
    You might want to think about getting 3 phase electric installed whilst you are at it, will allow you to charge at 22kwh.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    You might want to think about getting 3 phase electric installed whilst you are at it, will allow you to charge at 22kwh.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I had considered that, but I think the cost is horrendous. Also; the site is in town, I assumed 3 phase coverage would be less in town? It would certainly be the best option if installation wasn’t a crazy price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    If you are content with the 330e for a while and don’t need super fast charging just get a local electrician to fit a standard outside double socket with isolator for you for around £100. I bought a 225xe (same battery as yours), it’ll charge in 3 hours on a standard socket. So unless you go full EV or need 45 minute charging what’s the point in paying extra?
    Your charge time from a 13A socket is misleading if making a comparison to the current 330e. Even charging at max rate of a dedicated charger it takes around three hours, so charging from a 13A socket will be likely somewhere around 5 hours.

If charging overnight this will still be fine for most, but if wanting to do something like take advantage of the Octopus Go 4 hour cheap rate tariff, you will not be able to fully charge the car during the off-peak time.

If going to the trouble of having a socket fitted, personally I would be inclined to either get a dedicated charger installed or go down the commando socket install by an electrician and Ohme charger (half price from Octopus if a customer) route.
    Last edited by andyd30; 10th October 2020 at 11:04.

If you want a typical charger (7kW) then unless there is an existing circuit that can be repurposed, you will need to run back to the consumer unit. Otherwise I think a 3 pin 13A socket 'granny' charger is the best you will get.
    The wife was considering an ev for her next car. There's no way she'd allow wrecking a newly decorated house to run a cable to the outside. So, petrol it will be instead. And I'll stick with diesel anyway due to the range limitations.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    BPChargemaster is Mercedes/Benz chosen partner

Blog Entries
    I would consider a dumb one which would not attract the grant but would be cheaper to purchase.

A lot is being banded about regards suppliers cutting supply to home chargers in the future and if you fit a smart one I guess they can keep a real eye on you.

I considered both and went for a Tesla Wall Charger which is a dumb unit and it works absolute fine and integrates with the Igloo EV app as well to 'green' charge overnight which gives me approx 100 miles free charge per month.

Pitch