closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new Rolex OP colourful dials

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    Mine landed yesterday...

I really like it, totally different to what I have had from Rolex before.

Untitled by watch_jhr, on Flickr
    How big is your wrist if you don't mind me asking? :)

Watchfinder have put a couple of yellows up today, 36mm and ladies, both at around a £2k premium. These must come straight from AD’s as I can’t see any profit in that for sellers if WF are using their usual buy in rates.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    A gamble is right. I fear they won’t age well.
    I don't think its a gamble, on value or visual looks. My favourite watches from Rolex are from the 70's and 80's where they were more experimental with dial colours and materials. They all aged well, including the stella dials.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    How big is your wrist if you don't mind me asking? :)
    6.75 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Watchfinder have put a couple of yellows up today, 36mm and ladies, both at around a £2k premium. These must come straight from AD’s as I can’t see any profit in that for sellers if WF are using their usual buy in rates.
    £6450 isn't awful compared to some of the grey dealers on chrono24, i've seen one over £9k for a 36mm.

Journeyman
    I don't think its a gamble, on value or visual looks. My favourite watches from Rolex are from the 70's and 80's where they were more experimental with dial colours and materials. They all aged well, including the stella dials.

6.75 inches
    That looks great on your wrist. Same size here, I thought it would wear bigger!

That looks great on your wrist. Same size here, I thought it would wear bigger!
    You realise that James's is the 36mm right?

Journeyman
    £6450 isn't awful compared to some of the grey dealers on chrono24, i've seen one over £9k for a 36mm.
    I think three years of this mess from Rolex has changed our base lines. In 2016 I wouldn’t have even looked at a 3 hand OP if it was above 3 grand, now we’re in a space where £6450 “isn’t awful”. I don’t know I could just never justify that price for a very simple watch. And whoever pays 9 for one must have rocks in their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike83 View Post
    I think three years of this mess from Rolex has changed our base lines. In 2016 I wouldn’t have even looked at a 3 hand OP if it was above 3 grand, now we’re in a space where £6450 “isn’t awful”. I don’t know I could just never justify that price for a very simple watch. And whoever pays 9 for one must have rocks in their head.

I agree, it is a mess and it’s taken a lot of the fun out of the hobby.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    You realise that James's is the 36mm right?
    I missed that bit!! Looks like it'll be 36mm for me too! Cheers for the heads up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Someone somewhere will be putting together a set of these...
    My AD said a customer said he wanted one of each. And I think he was serious!

Did you go grey on yours James or did you get it from an AD?

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Did you go grey on yours James or did you get it from an AD?
    Grey.

My good relationship is long gone with the local AD I’m not buying watches I don’t want to keep in with an AD. Played that game before.

Master
    I missed that bit!! Looks like it'll be 36mm for me too! Cheers for the heads up
    I think that would be a good decision.

I have a 6.75in wrist too and tried on both the 36 and 41mm OPs. Although it all just comes down to personal preference, I thought the 36mm looked much better. Even with the slightly slimmer (and, imo, much nicer) lugs of the new model, the 36mm case is by no means small and, certainly when on the bracelet, easily fills out a 6.75mm wrist. IIRC, the dial size of the 36mm OP is the same as that of the Sub so, especially with one of the coloured dials, it's not exactly going to be a shrinking violet.

I'd all but given up on Rolex completely but I'm seriously tempted by the 36mm yellow. I think the new case size and proportions are just about perfect, with the new lugs being the 'Goldilocks' size between the blocky lugs of the previous models and the, to the modern eye, quite thin lugs of the 5 digit OPs/Explorers. My one concern is that I would be buying it as a daily wearer for Mon-Fri and therefore whether the look would become tiring after a while.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I think that would be a good decision.

I have a 6.75in wrist too and tried on both the 36 and 41mm OPs. Although it all just comes down to personal preference, I thought the 36mm looked much better. Even with the slightly slimmer (and, imo, much nicer) lugs of the new model, the 36mm case is by no means small and, certainly when on the bracelet, easily fills out a 6.75mm wrist. IIRC, the dial size of the 36mm OP is the same as that of the Sub so, especially with one of the coloured dials, it's not exactly going to be a shrinking violet.

I'd all but given up on Rolex completely but I'm seriously tempted by the 36mm yellow. I think the new case size and proportions are just about perfect, with the new lugs being the 'Goldilocks' size between the blocky lugs of the previous models and the, to the modern eye, quite thin lugs of the 5 digit OPs/Explorers. My one concern is that I would be buying it as a daily wearer for Mon-Fri and therefore whether the look would become tiring after a while.
    That's exactly my thinking. The bright colour on it makes 36mm more appealing. I picked up of the new 41mm ND subs and it fits well on my wrist, but think if that didn't have the bezel, it would look outrageously big (which is why I was surprised). I think coral red is the right one for me.

That's exactly my thinking. The bright colour on it makes 36mm more appealing. I picked up of the new 41mm ND subs and it fits well on my wrist, but think if that didn't have the bezel, it would look outrageously big (which is why I was surprised). I think coral red is the right one for me.
    Sports models such as the Subs with their thick bezels wear completely differently to OP and Datejust style watches imo. I have 7 inch wrists (5.5cm wrist span) and the Sub is fine but I found the DJ41 to be far too big. The 36mm DJ is perfect for me and I imagine the OP will be the same. Am hopefully trying the OP41 and OP36 on tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That looks lovely!
    Loving that colour. It’s so vibrant

Tried The yellow 41mm at a local independent
    Much nicer than I was expecting it to be, I have to say.
    Mrs Goat has an outgoing OP39 with pink dial that wears better though, and cost less than half of the new yellow one from a secondary dealer. Mad.

Journeyman
    Right, so I'm my own person and don't tend to follow the crowd or be overly concerned with appearances or what perception others may have... That is something which I associate with youth which is far in the rear view mirror these days ...

I would consider myself a bit of a watch person (low level now, I couldn't talk turkey with a proper aficionado).... Anyway, I have put my name down for new green OP 41. I like it, it's different.

I see in the other thread about rolex in the window there's quite a bit of sneering at these new OPs, they are not subs I guess or whatever and some comments that they are fashion watches, designed for people who don't like or understand watches (sorry I'm not trying to accurately represent the comments, but a broad sort of sense of them) ...Those views are fair enough, I don't agree but fair enough.

Finally to my question... Is that sort of view widely held by watch people? I have never bought a watch with resale value being a major consideration, but given the reputation of rolex for holding value, I'd perhaps regret buying an example that turns out to famously be the exception!

I do think that if the dealer should ring and offer me the watch that I'll buy it because, like I said, I like the look of it and that for me is foremost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    I do think that if the dealer should ring and offer me the watch that I'll buy it because, like I said, I like the look of it and that for me is foremost.
    The only thing that should matter is what you like and want. It’s your money and don’t be put off by anything anyone says. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that’s all it is, an opinion.

BigMac,
    There are some with BigMouths that you will learn to ignore with time over here. Always sneering, making carping comments and basically trying to suck the joy out of the hobby. It is certainly not a measure of their horological intelligence or taste or judgement, not is it an accurate assessment of desirability or price sustainability. More a reflection of their sad nature. These colourful OPs at this point are a novelty and supply is a matter of conjecture. My guess and it is only a guess Is that the prices of over eight thousand are unlikely to sustain but they are going to stay steady at a lower level and always in demand. If you like them and are available at list price from AD and you are in a position to buy, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    Right, so I'm my own person and don't tend to follow the crowd or be overly concerned with appearances or what perception others may have...
    You seem to be quite preoccupied with perception from your post. As mentioned, buy it if you like it (and can get it), otherwise don't. Quite simple really.

2 weeks in, wears well, the 36mm is the perfect size. Functional as it should be. Dial pops and its a lot nicer in person than pictures for sure. Would make a perfect one watch solution for those inclined.

Having said that, it's me, I've had a few watches over the years ;) and I'm not wearing it and gone back to my gold DJ lol

Cheers

James

I’ve seen the yellow one recently, fitted with a new jubilee bracelet
    It looks absolutely fantastic, I have to say, don’t know if Rolex offer it in that configuration.
    Just wish I’d photographed it!
    ....the 41mm version.

Datejust 41 yellow on standard bracelet

and on the Jubilee.....sadly the pic doesn't do it justice, its fantastic in reality.

I absolutely love that David, its stunning and if its better in person, then wow, you are fortunate to have bought one. No date too, thats a bonus.

Master
    Wow. That does look great. Looks like the OP 41s on a jubilee are the way forward. Maybe that will be the 2021 or 2022 release.

Which jubilee is being used there? Keen to know if it is one from the DJ41. Which is actually not 41mm in reality.

It’s not my watch, though it is lovely and far nicer than I was expecting after seeing the publicity shots.
    I t Belongs to a local watch shop.
    They took the jubilee off ( I think) a Wimbledon edition just to see what it looked like, and, I think to check if a rubber B strap would fit .
    I think the shop owner is going to keep it for himself.
    Next step would be to stick a fluted white gold bezel on it, I would think.
    Might actually approach the grey prices then!
    Last edited by GOAT; 31st October 2020 at 00:46.