closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: iphone 12

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Don't think there is any advantage other than keeping the sim slot free on the off chance you then want to add a second sim in a hurry.
    Perhaps on holiday to get a local sim??

I will be using the esim and a physical sim (or trying to) for work purposes.

Although, Wiley recently posted in another thread that doing this will inactivate 5g, which was a slight annoyance!
    Thanks again. Yes, temporary local SIM if travelling makes sense.

Interested to know how using both in one iPhone works out for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Just upgraded my old iPhone 4 to an iphone 12

Very droll! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Just upgraded my old iPhone 4 to an iphone 12

You got the iPhone 12 mini weeks before it was released to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Do the e-sim and the physical sim have to be from the same phone company?
    I was thinking of international travels, and whether fitting a local sim once abroad could be an option
    No, I've recently changed my EE sim to e-sim (not the smoothest experience TBH) and installed Lebara sim as a test.

Thank you. So it can be a good thing abroad for local numbers.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yes, that’s my plan too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Postman’s been early this morning!

Very nice. Regret not selling my 11 now and upgrading. Always easier to sell at a year old than two.

Quick first impressions of the 12 Pro (Pacific Blue, 256GB)

• The phone is quite a bit faster than the iPhone X
    • The camera is brilliant in low light, it’s my son’s Birthday today and the photos came out really well
    • HDR video shot on the phone looks amazing, the screen brightens up a lot to show it.
    • The phone feels really good in hand without a case, it’s feels like a big iPhone 4. It is nowhere near as slippery to hold as the resent phones have been.
    • Pacific Blue is the best colour Apple have used. It is a very dark teal, my favourite colour.
    • The stainless steel ring doesn’t seem to show fingerprints
    • The transfer process took about 1.5 hours. For some reason the Fitness app didn’t install so I was missing the widget from it. I couldn’t work out what had happened until I searched for the app and it said it needed to be installed.
    • The screen is the same resolution as the X but is bigger so text is just a bit bigger which is good
    • I don’t like the silicone case. It picks up lint and I don’t like having a a case at the bottom edge of the phone. The iPhone X case with its cutout feels better for the home gesture
    • I really want a leather case
    • The MagSafe charger works really well. It is small, charges the phone quickly and just snaps to the back.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 24th October 2020 at 12:42.

Master
    Midnight Blue or Pacific Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Quick first impressions of the 12 Pro (Midnight Blue, 256GB)

• The camera is brilliant in low light, it’s my son’s Birthday today and the photos came out really well
    • HDR video shot on the phone looks amazing, the screen brightens up a lot to show it.
    • The phone feels really good in hand without a case, it’s feels like a big iPhone 4. It is nowhere near as slippery to hold as the resent phones have been.
    • Midnight Blue is the best colour Apple have used. It is a very dark teal, my favourite colour.
    • The transfer process took about 1.5 hours. For some reason the Fitness app didn’t install so I was missing the widget from it. I couldn’t work out what had happened until I searched for the app and it said it needed to be installed.
    • The screen is the same resolution as the X but is bigger so text is just a bit bigger which is good
    • I don’t like the silicone case. It picks up lint and I don’t like having a a case at the bottom edge of the phone. The iPhone X case with its cutout feels better for the home gesture
    • The MagSafe charger works really well. It is small, charges the phone quickly and just snaps to the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Midnight Blue or Pacific Blue?
    My mistake. You’re right. Midnight blue is the colour of my leather X case.

Master
    Good initial review Phil. I’ve always wanted to use my phones without case, but they really are *so* slippery with dry hands.

I had to pass an Apple store today; I would have popped in to have a look but despite being near empty at 10am, they wouldn’t let me in without an appointment. I’m looking forwards to seeing and handling one before I decide to go 12 pro, or a Sales corner 11 pro.

Just found that you have to remove and reinstall the NHS COVID app for it to work on the new phone after carrying out a transfer.

Quick first impressions of the 12 Pro (Pacific Blue, 256GB)

• Pacific Blue is the best colour Apple have used. It is a very dark teal, my favourite colour.
    Thanks a lot for the post - having got the X myself still really happy with it, this has now made me think twice!

S

Craftsman
    Really good yo know that low light photography is decent as mines pretty rubbish on my XS Max so might be worth the upgrade.

Master
    Nice detailed review Phil. I have been enjoying it too. The Pacific Blue is a nice colour, not too bold. You had confused me with midnight, I thought there may be another. I know the standard 12 is a bolder blue, not the Pacific.

Anyway, enjoying the iPhone so far. Learning new features, etc. may take a while. Good advice on the NHS app! Must admit, I didn't download it on the new phone yet, I forgot but may do that shortly (although not convinced it actually works, had a few friends with odd notifications, but I think that is for another thread where I dare not post)!

Just found that you have to remove and reinstall the NHS COVID app for it to work on the new phone after carrying out a transfer.
    And unfortunately this deletes information on places visited, contacts etc. being deleted...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54675352

I did try enabling exposure notifications before reinstalling but it didn’t work.

Master
    Any deals on the 12 available via EE?

Craftsman
    Just ordered the 12 via Argos. Daughter works at Sainsbury so qualifies for their staff discounts which is 15% over this weekend (offer finishes tomorrow)

Would of had the pro but no option to pre order - so if anyone has relative/friend working for Sainsbury then maybe worth a consider

Master
    Can’t really notice much difference so far compared to my 11 (apart from the shape) but the camera is brill!
    No editing, just a standard pic.

Apprentice
    I changed the battery on my iPhone 6, but it didn't last long. Six months later, a new one was as bad as the old one. IPhone 6 served for a long time and worked well until it started to fail. It's better to buy a new phone than to suffer with the old one and constantly replace something. IPhones, by the way, are very good. I bought myself a brand new iPhone 12, just recently. Everything suits me, except that there is no charger in the kit, there are no headphones either, but I easily solved this. I ordered all the necessary iPhone Accessories online. By the way, there is a very large selection and there are good discounts on all products.
    Last edited by fisher2; 10th November 2020 at 16:04.

Master
    I am hoping that there are some good black friday deals next month for these phones.

- - - Updated - - -

I am hoping that there are some good black friday deals next month for these phones.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post

- - - Updated - - -

For the iPhone 12 or 11? I doubt you’ll find any bargains on an apple product apart from the odd cashback deal like Very. Its google that brings out a new phone then slashes its price on black friday to really annoy all the loyal upgrading fan base.

Just upgraded to a 12 from my XR, delighted with it. Real design sweet spot as other have said, with full screen and size of the X, but with the square edges of the old 4 and 5 - just works really well. Had thought about a mini but the 12 still offers size and weight advantages over my XR which I felt was a bit clunky. Blown away by speed, camera quality is exceptional and my wife, who’s categorically not into gadgets, loves the blue colour. Only downside is trying to get it to connect to BMW wireless CarPlay, which is proving to be a real pain in the arse, but sure I’ll get there.

Master
    I bought my x on mobiles Black Friday sale. The deal was with Vodafone , and they couldn’t even match it. My contract ends early December so I’m hoping for a good deal on a 12

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I upgraded from a 7 to an 11 last year and the upgrade was really noticeable - the screen size made it more useable all round and the battery life is much better. Last week I replaced my wife’s old iPhone SE - which was getting a bit glitchy at over 4 years old - with a new SE and I have to say as a cheaper iPhone it’s very good - smaller and much lighter than my 11, with most of the same features with the obvious exception that it still has a button and no face recognition (which might be a bonus now we all wear masks anyway!) the 12 looks good but the design change means very little as I always use an otterbox case anyway. I think if you upgrade an iPhone every 3 years they work out as quite affordable and you can ‘see’ a difference. I have a friend with an XR, I have the 11 and another friend has an 11 Pro, and tbh there isn’t much difference between them - but compared to, say, an iPhone 8 and they are a marked improvement.

Master
    I realise I’m jumping the gun by a few months but anyone know when these 12’s will be discountable?

To put in context I look at these phone contracts similar to Sky TV. When the 8 plus had been out for a few months, I looked at what O2 offered on online and phoned up and asked ‘to leave’ as ‘I’ve found a better deal elsewhere’. They were conveniently ‘authorised’ to offer about £200 off the handset and a further deal on the actually contract, which reduce the overall by quite a bit. My wife got the same a few months later.

I did exactly the same this August with the 11 pro max and this time it was £260 off the handset and about £5 off the contract. Works out quite a bit. Plus they told me if I paid the handset off after it came I could renegotiate my phone deal which saved another £5 a month or so.

All this a while before the 12 came out, so just wondered if people know what the timeline is for negotiation?

Master
    Devonian, I suspect the majority here discussing the 12 aren’t on contract, but buy sim free.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I upgraded from a 7 to an 11 last year and the upgrade was really noticeable - the screen size made it more useable all round and the battery life is much better.
    That’s good to hear, as I still can’t decide weather to get a 12 Pro, or a used 11 Pro Max.

If the 12’s were freely available I’d just have bought one to have done with it since there’s hardly any used 11’s around. But maybe that’s because the 11 is so good and the 12 isn’t much of an improvement? Especially when considering moving up from a 7+.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Devonian, I suspect the majority here discussing the 12 aren’t on contract, but buy sim free.
    Maybe but I think my question is still relevant as to when new iPhones become discountable. I only ever take out the contact to get the cheaper deal, then pay it off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Maybe but I think my question is still relevant as to when new iPhones become discountable. I only ever take out the contact to get the cheaper deal, then pay it off.
    Understandable. Like anything, that won’t happen until we’re 50% or more through the refresh cycle of the product, assuming the market is saturated... so my guess would be Feb/March next year as a minimum? Although I suppose other market forces might come in to play ...eg pre-Christmas sales... but to answer your question, I have no expert knowledge so I’m sorry to have rambled on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Understandable. Like anything, that won’t happen until we’re 50% or more through the refresh cycle of the product, assuming the market is saturated... so my guess would be Feb/March next year as a minimum? Although I suppose other market forces might come in to play ...eg pre-Christmas sales... but to answer your question, I have no expert knowledge so I’m sorry to have rambled on!
    No not rambling, thanks for your reply. I’d think when you say next year could be about right.

Does anyone know what the real world battery life of the new iPhone SE is?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    A review on YouTube from mkbhd/dave2d/mrmobile/uravgconsumer will probably show you a real day in the life with screen on time split out too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Any deals on the 12 available via EE?
    Managed to get my daughter the 12 in blue, 100gb data, unlimited texts & calls, £30 for phone £45 pm two year deal.
    Thought it was good as this was cheaper than her previous XR deal with more than three times the data

Master
    I’m considering buying a 12 mini when they areout.

This is to replace my SE which is now about 4 years old and has been brilliant. Battery percentage is 94 which I think is very good given usage.

I would really like to handle the 12 mini before I buy but I realise I’m going to have to buy blind.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

This is to replace my SE which is now about 4 years old and has been brilliant. Battery percentage is 94 which I think is very good given usage.

I would really like to handle the 12 mini before I buy but I realise I’m going to have to buy blind.
    Im sending back my 12 albeit it is lighter in the hand than the X. Like yourself I’m now contemplating the mini, just wish I could see one 1st hand just to make sure I don’t have trouble reading, typing and scrolling text. Just fancy something smaller that fits nicely in the pocket

Craftsman
    They’re unique products really with respect of discounts. The way macs hold value is fairly special too.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    My wife has one. I’ll look at the battery graph in the morning to see what it says.

Blog Entries

Have the SE and thinking of replacing it. The 12 mini sounds interesting what size is it?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have the SE and thinking of replacing it. The 12 mini sounds interesting what size is it?
    The iPhone 12 Mini is smaller than the current SE but had a larger screen.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ip...ne-se-3796782/

This shows a size comparison between the original SE and the new 12 mini (a dummy unit). The 12 Mini is a bit bigger than the original SE and smaller than the 7.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/05...one12-vs-se-7/

i dont like the design of the 12. it looks like they have gone backwards now to the blocky iphone 5 and older design.

i guess they needed to try and make it not look like a slightly improved iphone 11

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    i dont like the design of the 12. it looks like they have gone backwards now to the blocky iphone 5 and older design.

i guess they needed to try and make it not look like a slightly improved iphone 11
    I’m the opposite. I think the 12 is a return to a fantastic design. It feels so much better in the hand. The vertical edges make it a lot easier to hold compared with the previous design.

Yes definitely agree the slab sides are much better. The whole phone feels a lot more premium.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Yes definitely agree the slab sides are much better. The whole phone feels a lot more premium.
    Until you stick it in a case to preserve those good looks! - if it’s anything like the iPhone 4 or 5, even a minor drop onto a hard floor will dent those slab sides nicely

To be fair all of my iphones have gone into a case, which sort of defeats the object some time. I cant trust myself with >£1000 worth of phone!!

Until you stick it in a case to preserve those good looks! - if it’s anything like the iPhone 4 or 5, even a minor drop onto a hard floor will dent those slab sides nicely

Blog Entries
    The iPhone 12 Mini is smaller than the current SE but had a larger screen.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ip...ne-se-3796782/

This shows a size comparison between the original SE and the new 12 mini (a dummy unit). The 12 Mini is a bit bigger than the original SE and smaller than the 7.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/05...one12-vs-se-7/
    The 12 mini was looking promising but it hasn't got touch ID and a home button so that's a deal breaker for me. Looks like it's either the new SE or a new battery for my old SE.

Blog Entries
    I used to use a case with my 5 but from the 5s onwards I've never used a case. Yes I had to replace a screen when it jumped out of my hand in a kamikaze dive, but I reckon it was worth it for the reduction in bulk and faff.

Master

I'm wondering if there is a glitch on battery readings on the old SE. My wife's was also saying 94% BUT it was obvious the battery was shot, it went from 94 to nothing in no time. Seems a coincidence, a genuine 94% after 4 years seems unprecedented, degradation on most models seems to be at least 5% p.a for normal use, charging once a day.

Battery life on new SE is superb, it might have a battery that is not rated much higher than the 6S but night and day consumption.