timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iphone 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

;)
    Ha ha ha, nice one! 👍
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Still agonising over 11 Pro Max vs 12 (standard)

How do the cameras compare? Is the system on the 11PM better than the dual lens system of the 12?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Still agonising over 11 Pro Max vs 12 (standard)

How do the cameras compare? Is the system on the 11PM better than the dual lens system of the 12?

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare...iphoneSE2ndgen
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Aha! Much obliged! Although the technical info means little to me compared to real world advice / experience.

Either phone will, however, be a massive improvement on my 7+, I would imagine.

Aha! Much obliged! Although the technical info means little to me compared to real world advice / experience.

No one can tell you about relative performance, other than a journalist's review if you search as no one here has a 12 yet.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I’ve also wondered why people seem to want 5G. My phone does everything as fast as needed w/o.
    5G coverage in Central London looks pretty good although I’ve got no real world experience of it...is it not as advertised? If it’s there and I can afford it, I don’t see a reason why I shouldn’t want the upgrade unless it doesn’t work? Was planning on tethering my ipad to my phone which would massively help in the near future with a temporary loss of my broadband in a 5G area.

It’s that, plus my desire for the best iphone camera possible that justifies my spending to myself! Unfortunately the latter means waiting for the max this time around.
    Last edited by Christian; 16th October 2020 at 09:25.

My 7+ still does everything I need quickly. Whilst the 12 will be an improvement it won't be massive, diminishing returns and all that. That said, going from an iPad3 to the latest 10.5” Air recently was a big step up.
    F.T.F.A.

I’m going to order a 12 Pro in blue to replace my 3 year old X. I’ll get a new battery for the X and pass it down to my daughter to replace her hand me down 7.

The Pro Max is just too big for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’m going to order a 12 Pro in blue to replace my 3 year old X. I’ll get a new battery for the X and pass it down to my daughter to replace her hand me down 7.

The Pro Max is just too big for me.
    Hi Phil,

After chatting to LuBee I have come to the same conclusion. 12 Pro it is.

My dad still uses the 7+ I bought from you, and loves it. But I’ve outgrown my 7+.

Heading to the Trafford Centre or ordering online?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    5G coverage in Central London looks pretty good although I’ve got no real world experience of it...is it not as advertised? If it’s there and I can afford it, I don’t see a reason why I shouldn’t want the upgrade unless it doesn’t work? Was planning on tethering my ipad to my phone which would massively help in the near future with a temporary loss of my broadband in a 5G area.

It’s that, plus my desire for the best iphone camera possible that justifies my spending to myself! Unfortunately the latter means waiting for the max this time around.
    But realistically what actual advantage will 5G give for a phone? Given I get over 50 MBPS on 4G (that's on an iPhone 8 on 3 in London) ... I quite understand the wanting the latest but in terms of it providing anything meaningful? The camera is a different matter of course.

I like the idea of the 12 mini - really not a fan of big phones, and whilst it might not be the best available the camera in the 12 mini is sure to be pretty good.

It dramatically reduces your battery life so it doesn't stay in 5G anyway. I do not live in London, so do not know about coverage. I linked to a WP review earlier, this is what they say about the 5G feature for the SF area (where the reviewer lives):

5G across the line
    What’s promising: 5G networks, which boast faster downloads, less delay and the ability to support a lot more devices, are unquestionably in our future. They’re now supported by the iPhone, the one device that can consistently make waves in tech. Unlike some competitors, Apple is also keeping 5G simple, at least in the United States, where all its phones will support the many different flavors of 5G (so you don’t have to learn terms like “millimeter wave” and “sub-6″). Buying one of these phones this year likely futureproofs you for years.
    A 5G iPhone could be very fast. Verizon said on Tuesday its ultra-wideband network clocks peak downloads of 4 gigabits (yes, giga!) per second on the device.

What they didn’t mention: Even the marketing maestros at Apple couldn’t cook up a very convincing reason we need 5G on our phones in 2020. (Its few examples included a new video game and doctors quickly downloading patient brain scans … to examine on tiny phone screens?) I don’t doubt that someday 5G will power things we can’t even imagine today. But the reality is that the current “nationwide” 5G networks just aren’t very fast. When I tested Samsung’s 5G phones last month in the San Francisco Bay area, I got download speeds that were only marginally better than on 4G phones — and in some places worse! U.S. carriers have a lot of work to do to live up to what Tim Cook promised in his keynote presentation: that 5G is “super fast.”
    One more caveat: Using 5G can drain your battery. Apple claims iPhone 12 battery life is about the same as the iPhone 11. But it has built in a special battery-saving Smart Data Mode that kicks you off 5G networks when it thinks you don’t need it. What happens in a few years when we actually do need it?
    https://wapo.st/3m0SZy1

iphone 12

Urrghhhh, after saying I’m not upgrading I’m now trawling the net for help on whether to stick with my XS Max or go for a Pro Max, Pro or just the 12 and use the Apple trade in deal to bring down the cost...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 16th October 2020 at 12:35.

Hi Phil,

After chatting to LuBee I have come to the same conclusion. 12 Pro it is.

My dad still uses the 7+ I bought from you, and loves it. But I’ve outgrown my 7+.

Heading to the Trafford Centre or ordering online?
    I ordered it for home delivery. There is no way I’m going to the Trafford Centre again this year.

Out of interest, for those that got in first with an iPhone 12 Pro pre-order...what delivery dates did you get?

Just ordered a 12 Pro to replace my XR .

The main reason was the camera. I've sold off a few digital cameras that I never use as I realised that I generally use my phone as its always with me. Really want the 3 lens option for the Pro.

Got date of nov 2-9.

My delivery date is 23rd October. I decided to go for 0% finance this time so had pre- approved my order on Wednesday. Once I could get on the app, I checked out in less than a minute.

I was on a conference call so couldn’t check out until about 1:45. Paid in full on credit card. Don’t mind waiting a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Only just been able to go to the apple website and was given a delivery date of after 14th Nov, or collect in store next Friday (already sold out at nearest apple store).

I’ll hold off ordering until everyone else gets theirs and can gauge how good it is above the 11...

My 12 Pro silicone case just arrived. It’s fractionally bigger than the X it’s replacing. There is almost no lip on the case and it covers all 4 sides. It looks like the magnet is the main way the case is held in place.

Craftsman
    Postman’s been early this morning!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Postman’s been early this morning!

Congrats! Is this the 12 Pro ?

Mine arrives between 13:35 and 14:35

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Mine arrives between 13:35 and 14:35
    Looking forwards to the review!

Mine (12 Pro, 256GB) won't arrive until early Nov but I'm in no rush. I look forward to your thoughts.

Master
    Following this thread. First time apple for me, been told it is arriving today. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about...equally this could end up on SC within a week!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Following this thread. First time apple for me, been told it is arriving today. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about...equally this could end up on SC within a week!
    Call me first if it does!

Craftsman

iphone 12

First impression is it’s a chunky beast, a fraction lighter than the 11pro but filled out to square edges which I think is less elegant.

I love how easy apple make transferring all your details from old phone to new.

I hate how I have to wait till tomorrow or go into a store to get an esim to actually use it... How is it easier to transfer a physical sim than an esim?!

Last edited by greenandblack; 23rd October 2020 at 10:43.

This is my first new phone in 3 years so I’m looking forward to seeing how much the camera has improved. It will also be good to have a fresh battery again. I’m sending my iPhone X back to Apple to get the battery replaced for £69 which is very reasonable considering how tricky it is to replace.

I hate how I have to wait till tomorrow or go into a store to get an esim to actually use it... How is it easier to transfer a physician sim than an esim?!

I’m assuming there is still a physical sim slot? I gave up on eSim...more pain than it was worth unless you really have a need for two lines. Previously, I’d always swapped back my eSim to a physical sim prior to the new phone coming out, then switched back to an eSim once I had the phone.

Will new prices of previous models such as the iPhone 11 reduce by much?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Will new prices of previous models such as the iPhone 11 reduce by much?
    These are the current starting prices:

SE (with 11 guts) £399
    XR £499
    11 £599
    12 mini £699
    12 £799
    12 Pro £999
    12 Pro Max £1099

I’m assuming there is still a physical sim slot? I gave up on eSim...more pain than it was worth unless you really have a need for two lines. Previously, I’d always swapped back my eSim to a physical sim prior to the new phone coming out, then switched back to an eSim once I had the phone.
    Might be a silly question, but does a physical SIM and eSIM allow both SIM numbers to be active at the same time?
    Or is it a case of selecting one between the two, at any given time..?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Might be a silly question, but does a physical SIM and eSIM allow both SIM numbers to be active at the same time?
    And also, it does have a physical sim tray, right? Would the sim from my 7+ fit straight in?

And also, it does have a physical sim tray, right? Would the sim from my 7+ fit straight in?
    Thinking further about it, I’m pretty sure it will...if you lose the sim tray and go eSim only, it would stop the phone working with some carriers who don’t support eSim and also it would mean you lose the ability to have two lines.

Yes, both numbers work simultaneously and you can select your primary line for default outgoing calls. You choose which sim is the data provider.

Master

iphone 12

For anyone considering the new phones my experience with my 11 pro which is three weeks old is that you need to very carefully monitor the temperature and performance.

Mine heats up to over 50degrees and becomes uncomfortable to hold. Strangely enough it’s worse when on the forum. Apple thinks this is because of the software on the forum which is weird.

I will be returning mine tomorrow. After agreed to the health waiver in case in bursts in flames, having spoke. With Apple engineers, a ‘genius’ and a village idiot.

The warranty is can now be taken out on a monthly basis which makes me wonder why anyone would pay for a year.

Craftsman

iphone 12

My boss said it was better (I don’t understand the diff) but it’s taken ee 45 minutes in store to get me the q code, and next time I think I’ll just go back to normal sim.

To answer a prev qr it’s a 12 pro. Screen is really sharp (that new prescription feeling) and camera’s great - today’s Friday post is my first snap.
    Last edited by greenandblack; 23rd October 2020 at 13:23.

Master
    My boss said it was better (I don’t understand the diff) but it’s taken ee 45 minutes in store to get me the q code, and next time I think I’ll just go back to normal sim.

To answer a prev q it’s a 12 pro. Screen is really sharp (that new prescription feeling) and cameras great - today’s Friday post is my first snap.
    Just checked that out - it is a good photo!

Master
    Yes, both numbers work simultaneously and you can select your primary line for default outgoing calls. You choose which sim is the data provider.
    That’s great. About 10 or 15 years ago I looked into dual sim phones, and back then you had to switch the phone off, switch a switch, then reboot to go from one to the other. So it really wasn’t a solution at all. Great to hear you can now have two fully working lines on one mobile; will save carrying two handsets (a work one and a home one).

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    For anyone considering the new phones my experience with my 11 pro which is three weeks old is that you need to very carefully monitor the temperature and performance.

Mine heats up to over 50degrees and becomes uncomfortable to hold. Strangely enough it’s worse when on the forum. Apple thinks this is because of the software on the forum which is weird.

I will be returning mine tomorrow. After agreed to the health waiver in case in bursts in flames, having spoke. With Apple engineers, a ‘genius’ and a village idiot.

The warranty is can now be taken out on a monthly basis which makes me wonder why anyone would pay for a year.
    Strange that. I have had my 11 Pro for over a year and never had this issue. Yes it sometimes warms up when using 4G but never hot and is very rare.

I had older models which did the same and so I have never felt it was an issue

I’ve only had a couple of occasions when the phone is noticeably warm. I think that was whilst using it in a high ambient temperature where it couldn’t radiate the heat well enough. Day-to-day, my phone is cold though and have no problem on the forum...wonder why yours is different? Doesn’t sound like it’s working correctly.

Master

iphone 12

I’ve only had a couple of occasions when the phone is noticeably warm. I think that was whilst using it in a high ambient temperature where it couldn’t radiate the heat well enough. Day-to-day, my phone is cold though and have no problem on the forum...wonder why yours is different? Doesn’t sound like it’s working correctly.
    I was absolutely amazed to learn that Apple support can remotely take over the phone. You activate analytics and then give approval to a pop up and the engineer can see your screen and you see their cursor moving around the screen.

He could tell me what the forum did to my battery and see my browser history (thankfully a new phone and no history).

Amazing tech and my iPhone 11 can make toast !
    Last edited by joe narvey; 23rd October 2020 at 15:31.

I was absolutely amazed to learn that Apple support can remotely take over the phone. You activate analytics and then give approval to a pop up and the engineer can see your screen and you see their cursor moving around the screen.

He could tell me what the forum did to my battery and see my browser history (thankfully a new phone and no history).

Amazing tech abs it can make toast !
    Wow. Must be the ridiculous forum advertising!

My 12’s just turned up, very nice...

Thanks for that. Didn't realise this feature was available! Having a 'dual SIM' arrange has been popular in Asia for some time. As ach5says this may help me avoid carrying two phones.

As an aside, why would someone use an eSIM over a normal physical SIM, if they had one active number to use?
    Last edited by cman; 23rd October 2020 at 13:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Strange that. I have had my 11 Pro for over a year and never had this issue. Yes it sometimes warms up when using 4G but never hot and is very rare.

I had older models which did the same and so I have never felt it was an issue
    Actually now you mention it I’ve had that maybe two or three times - normally on hot days when trying to use my 11pro as sat nav, becomes super hot and turns itself off but doesn’t seem to cool down until the battery dies.

Thanks for that. Didn't realise this feature was available! Having a 'dual SIM' arrange has been popular in Asia for some time. As ach5says this may help me avoid carrying two phones.

As an aside, why would someone use an eSIM over a normal physical SIM, if they had one active number to use?
    Don't think there is any advantage other than keeping the sim slot free on the off chance you then want to add a second sim in a hurry.

Master
    Don't think there is any advantage other than keeping the sim slot free on the off chance you then want to add a second sim in a hurry.
    Perhaps on holiday to get a local sim??

I will be using the esim and a physical sim (or trying to) for work purposes.

Although, Wiley recently posted in another thread that doing this will inactivate 5g, which was a slight annoyance!

Do the e-sim and the physical sim have to be from the same phone company?
    I was thinking of international travels, and whether fitting a local sim once abroad could be an option

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

My 12’s just turned up, very nice...

Just upgraded my old iPhone 4 to an iphone 12